VGC '12 World Championships - Kona, HI, USA - WON by BlueCookies & Dimsun!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Team Rocket Elite

Data Integration Thought Entity
is a Top Researcher Alumnus
Isn't Australia allowed to enter the European one because it's PAL as well, or am I wrong?
With possible exception to Japan and Korea, VGC tournaments are not region locked. A person from Australia can play in the US Nationals if they wanted to. This may change in the future, though.

So the Gamespot commentators for the match were...bad. Sunkern bad.

Hey Jim so Cresselia has a pretty low base hp right?
Flash Fire draws in Fire attacks to either target.

^just an example of how little these guys knew, it was painful listening to it, goodmatches though.

Next time they should hire FlamingSpade or TonyFlygon or something instead of PR reps who could barely figure out that Sandstorm gave rock types a 1.5x SpD boost.

Team Rocket Elite

Data Integration Thought Entity
is a Top Researcher Alumnus
Keep in mind that there is bureaucracy involved and they can't just pick two players off the floor and hand over the keys to their live stream. Maybe next year they can do better.

The Japanese stream had their own commentary for the match. Just from the Pokemon names and moves they said it sounded like it might have been reasonably competent. I'd be happy if they just got translators to give us what the Japanese are getting.

I agree with TSR. Spade would make an excellent commentator. Maybe they could get meta celebrities like Serebii and Marriland to do it, or guest speakers.

I posted about it already on NB so this is kind of redundant, but there's big liability issues with them just picking whoever to do something like that and none of the big name players have any sort of resume related to this sort of work. If we had a bunch of commentated videos on YouTube or something, maybe they at least think about it, but they'd have to be crazy right now. There's the issue of language with some of us too -- I don't think it'd be much of a problem when commentating a game but obviously there's both the issue of not cursing or doing anything that might be offensive to anyone as well as explaining things in a way that people who are viewing the stream who aren't competitive players will understand. Probably not as easy as it looks. Also, Serebii and Marriland wouldn't be an upgrade over what they already have as far as lack of competitive insight.

As far as Sejun's team, both Wolfe and Ray played him, can probably figure it out once people are back home. The only Pokemon on it I know for sure is Bisharp.

EDIT: I'm actually just now watching the stream from Sunday for the first time (I didn't see it live since I was there, obviously)... some of it is worse than I expected, such as Metagross apparently being a counter to Garchomp, but props to the commentator who mentioned Scizor was a bigger part of the metagame going into the tournament and expected to be a lot more present than it was at Worlds (though that's most likely because of all the HP Fire Cresselias).

I just caught some of the funny stuff like them referring to the JAA mechanics the commentator probably got off of Chalkey's rule mechanics article he posted on NB a couple days prior, but failing to realize that was a change made about six years ago rather than just this year, but at least they tried... The one guy seems significantly less clueless than the other, he just sometimes has information backwards or whatever. It's a step up.

This week was amazheng, youre all such cool guys, i really miss you, hopefully ill see you back next year in vancouver, Report of this will come in a few days i think ^^
now just have some days here on the big island but its really not the same great feeling as it was at the worlds time...

Hahahaha wow Sejun's really gone up in my estimations; I was just used to his pretty normal stuff from last year. I played him sooooo many times in the union room.

Still no warstories? I'm disappointed -.-
A lot of time and effort goes into a good VGC warstory. Not only was the player pool much smaller than at Nats and Regionals, but most of the participates arrived back home only recently and have to go back to tackling real life responsibilities again like work and school. There are murmurs on IRC about a few upcoming team exhibitions and warstories on Smogon and NB, but I'd stay patient for now.

it was so cool to meet all of you guys, had such a fantastic time with all of you and im sure that im gonna see you next year in vancouver !!!!

I think the only real way to convince yourself of the difference between playing and commentating (shoutcasting, in the Starcraft/LoL verbiage) at a high level is to try it yourself. Granted, there's a certain expectation that whoever's shouting into the mic knows a fair bit about the subject matter and is able to stay somewhat on topic to fill the void between drama moments--in Pokemon terms, during move selection--and that expectation was clearly not fulfilled.

Obligatory congrats for the Thray-peat and for Dim Sum. Typo was intentional because Chinese food is yummy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)