VGC 2013 Regional Rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Mantyke Edit: VGC 2013 Regional Rules are up!

This year's rule set is pretty much identical to the current GBU rule set. A few things to note is that this means the Therian formes are allowed, Chatot is banned, and note taking is allowed.

The rule set isn't quite yet released to the public yet, but Chris Brown shared it today with Nugget Bridge ahead of time and important bits of it were uploaded on site. We'll edit in the full rule set when it goes up on Pokemon.com
Nugget Bridge via Chris Brown said:
6. Standard Format Style
All sanctioned Pokémon video game tournaments require players to assemble a team of Pokémon, with items, prior to the start of the event. The standard format style for all PLAY! Pokémon tournaments is Double Battle.

6.1. Double Battle
In Double Battles, each player selects four Pokémon from his or her party of six to battle with. At the start of the battle, players send out the first two Pokémon in their party, making a total of four Pokémon on the battlefield. Game play continues until a player knocks out all four of his or her opponent’s Pokémon.

7. Standard Team Construction Rules
When building a team for a PLAY! Pokémon tournament, all players must adhere to these standard construction rules.

• A player’s team cannot contain two Pokémon with the same Pokédex number
  • Each Pokémon on a player’s team can hold an item, though no two Pokémon may hold the same item
  • A player’s team cannot contain two Pokémon with the same nickname
  • A player’s team cannot contain a Pokémon nicknamed with the name of another Pokémon (for example, an Unfezant named “Pidove”)
  • Pokémon may only use moves that have been learned through one of the following methods:
    • By leveling up
    • By TM or HM
    • As an Egg move, through breeding
    • From a character in the game
    • A move already known by a Pokémon received at an official Pokémon event or promotion
    • A move already known by a Pokémon that has been transferred from another Pokémon game via Poké Transfer or the Relocator.
8. Sanctioned Format
Pokémon Organized Play supports one format for sanctioned play: Modified. Sanctioned events are listed on the POP website, and the results are reported to POP after the event concludes.

8.1. Modified Format
The Modified format is the standard tournament format for PLAY! Pokémon video game events. This format will be used at all premier events unless specified otherwise. The Modified format for the 2013 season will use the following restrictions:
  • Only Pokémon Black Version 2 and Pokémon White Version 2 Game Cards are permitted for use.
  • Players may use Pokémon from the National Pokédex, from No. 001–649, that are caught in the game, transferred from a previous Pokémon title, or received at an official event or distribution
  • The following Pokémon may not be on a player’s team:
    • 150 – Mewtwo
    • 151 – Mew
    • 249 – Lugia
    • 250 – Ho-Oh
    • 251 – Celebi
    • 382 – Kyogre
    • 383 – Groudon
    • 384 – Rayquaza
    • 385 – Jirachi
    • 386 – Deoxys
    • 441 – Chatot
    • 483 – Dialga
    • 484 – Palkia
    • 487 – Giratina
    • 489 – Phione
    • 490 – Manaphy
    • 491 – Darkrai
    • 492 – Shaymin
    • 493 – Arceus
    • 494 – Victini
    • 643 – Reshiram
    • 644 – Zekrom
    • 646 – Kyurem
    • 647 – Keldeo
    • 648 – Meloetta
    • 649 – Genesect
  • Pokémon must be placed in the Battle Box.
  • Pokémon above level 50 are permitted, but they are auto-leveled down to 50 for the duration of battle.
  • Players may use Pokémon with Hidden Abilities that have been officially released through the Pokémon Global Link or an official event or promotion.
  • Pokémon may not know the moves Sky Drop or Dark Void.
  • Players may use items that have been officially released via Pokémon Black Version, Pokémon White Version, Pokémon Black Version 2, Pokémon White Version 2, the Pokémon Global Link, or an official event or promotion.
  • The Wonder Launcher cannot be used during battle.

4.2. Mid-game Time Limit
Any mid-game effects, such as selecting a move or retreating Pokémon, are to take place within the 60 seconds allocated per turn. Note taking may only occur when not being prompted to select a move.

source(thanks JRank for checking PokeGym like it's your job)

So, apparently the rules will be the same as this year's, but will allow the Worlds Pikachu I know you all so desperately wanted to add to your team. This is only for the October regionals as far as we know, which means they're giving us some time to wait to buy BW2 and beat the game and get a team together before January.

This means we'll be running with a format that changes throughout the season, much like TCG. Thoughts? Any speculation on what the VGC 13 format will be now that we know they're waiting for BW2?

jrank edit: it is my job, 's why they pay me the big bucks

Thank you so much. I've been anticipating this announcement for weeks. Although this ruleset is the same as last year's, do you think there will be major changes to the metagame? But one more question; will move tutor moves influence the metagame much?

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Thank you so much. I've been anticipating this announcement for weeks. Although this ruleset is the same as last year's, do you think there will be major changes to the metagame? But one more question; will move tutor moves influence the metagame much?
There won't be any changes at all to the metagame. No BW2 tutor moves will affect this meta since it's going to most likely be played exclusively on BW1 carts. There won't be any changes from Worlds most likely aside from people trying out new teams based on what was seen there.

It's about time this was released. Thank you JRank. Sucks that October will be following that VGC '12 rules, mostly because I want to be lazy and not make a second team.

There won't be any changes at all to the metagame. No BW2 tutor moves will affect this meta since it's going to most likely be played exclusively on BW1 carts. There won't be any changes from Worlds most likely aside from people trying out new teams based on what was seen there.
I saw in the post that these moves are allowed:

"Moves:
Pokémon may only use moves that have been learned through one of the following methods:
By leveling up
By TM or HM
As an Egg move, through breeding
From a character in the game
Already learned by a Pokémon that was received at an official Pokémon event or promotion
Pokémon cannot use the move Sky Drop during battle."

So I assumed Move tutor moves in B/W2 would be allowed.

Also, B/W2 carts, are allowed, though, right? I mean, I was planning to camp out and everything.

Solace

royal flush
I saw in the post that these moves are allowed:

"Moves:

Pokémon may only use moves that have been learned through one of the following methods:

By leveling up

By TM or HM

As an Egg move, through breeding

From a character in the game

Already learned by a Pokémon that was received at an official Pokémon event or promotion

Pokémon cannot use the move Sky Drop during battle."

So I assumed Move tutor moves in B/W2 would be allowed.

Also, B/W2 carts, are allowed, though, right? I mean, I was planning to camp out and everything.
No!!! No BW2 carts are allowed. No BW2 move tutors. This all only applies for BW1.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
And here I was hoping for something new and interesting. I'm really starting to get bored of the 2012 rules to be honest.

Yawn, honestly they need to incorporate new unique rules to keep the metagame fresh. People said VGC 11 was stale but 12 is nearly just as bad. Cresselia is on most teams as well as Gross, Chomp, and TTar.

The one nice thing is I doubt I'll end up making a completely brand new team, probably just nitpick a few things on my past ones.

Yawn, honestly they need to incorporate new unique rules to keep the metagame fresh. People said VGC 11 was stale but 12 is nearly just as bad. Cresselia is on most teams as well as Gross, Chomp, and TTar.
I disagree with this statement. Why don't you take a look at the stuff that was used at this year's World Championships? Here are some of the cool things I noted from all the Seniors in the Top 8 at Worlds.
  • kingofkongs used an awesome TR team with CB Gallade, Bronzong, and Jellicent
  • Snake used Fire Gem Volarona, Calm Mind Latios, and Excadrill
  • Repr4y utilized Swampert very nicely
  • nachocheese999 had a very nice TR team with Gyarados, Heatran, and Amoonguss
  • kamz used LO Cresselia, bulky Thundurus, SD Scizor... (wait that sounds familiar)
  • World Champion Dimsun used Rotom-H and bulky Ludicolo with Swift Swim
  • Santa Ito used a rain team with Infernape and Mental Herb Thundurus
  • And I used Wolfe's team. (Skill Swap Cresselia, CB Terrakion, Chesto Rest Hitmontop, fast/bulky Thundurus, Power Swap Exeggutor!)
Each and every single player in the Top 8 had a Pokemon unique to their team that was critical in their success. And this is just the Senior division. I know Abram used Cloyster to win in Juniors, and Brian used Sableye to beat my own brother in T4. Masters had even cooler stuff.

VGC 2012 is only as stale as you make it out to be - go ahead and try something new! Wolfe and I used freaking Exeggutor at Worlds!

My problem Cybertron is I simply don't get it. I don't get how you guys try out random things and pull it off successfully. I've tried several 'unique' things and it crashes and burns. I'd love to try out that 202 tutoring but I feel like I've been playing for so long that I'd be wasting time whereas someone new could learn in my place.

It doesn't help that the past few months I've been kind of on a downhill slope, I feel I've gotten progressively worse/run out of successful things.

Kinda thankful about this actually, means I can keep making adjustments to the team I am making. It also gives me time to breed for January.

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
My problem Cybertron is I simply don't get it. I don't get how you guys try out random things and pull it off successfully. I've tried several 'unique' things and it crashes and burns. I'd love to try out that 202 tutoring but I feel like I've been playing for so long that I'd be wasting time whereas someone new could learn in my place.

It doesn't help that the past few months I've been kind of on a downhill slope, I feel I've gotten progressively worse/run out of successful things.
Don't feel forced to try "new" and "unique" things; Ray Rizzo had a more standard team with Metagross, Tyranitar, Cresselia and the like. He just knew how to work with his team flawlessly by specifically designing their EVs and moves. It also helps that he's a great player in his own right, so battling in itself is very important to master.

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
Not using BW2 game carts is one thing, not allowing BW2 moves in the October 14 Regional is BS, considering the game will have been out in the US for a full week prior, and Japan for several months. Makes me wonder how Japan is handling it.

One can only hope things get better in the winter and spring regionals. My wishlist for VGC2013 rules, in order of preference:

1. A return of the VGC2010-style rules, updated with Unova Pokemon
2. Triples
3. Full Pokedex Doubles

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
We still don't know if BW2 moves will be allowed. You have to keep in mind that PTOs don't completely understand the video game. There's a reason I didn't report on this when Mike originally posted last month. Tradebacks may or may not be allowed. It's just BW2 cards which we know won't be.

We still don't know if BW2 moves will be allowed. You have to keep in mind that PTOs don't completely understand the video game. There's a reason I didn't report on this when Mike originally posted last month. Tradebacks may or may not be allowed. It's just BW2 cards which we know won't be.
This x1000. PTOs by and large only know TCG, so if anything I'd still wait for an official posting on the Pokemon.com site to confirm anything for rules.

That being said, I'd love for there to be a change in the Pokemon allowed, but if not this one isn't that bad.

Ok so this is obviously bogus but it is the inevitable consequence of bw2's release timing. They had 2 choices:
-this
-new metagame with bw2 which could be anything from Unova-only to no bans at all etc about a week after bw2 is released

so this is the better option. It would help to clear up bw2 moves.

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
In a way it's a relief that we're basically using same rules from April 2012 as it would otherwise be such a rush to get ready on the new carts non available until just a week before.

if getting together a team is their main worry, why not release the new rules now so we have time to prepare?

edit oh wait because bw2 isn't out yet silly me

After I thought about this can't we just buy the japanese BW2, and tutor gen V pokemon there, and past gen mons with new moves. Anyway if anyone wants BW2 move tutor moves, just supply me with the required shards, and consider it done.

Solace

royal flush
After I thought about this can't we just buy the japanese BW2, and tutor gen V pokemon there, and past gen mons with new moves. Anyway if anyone wants BW2 move tutor moves, just supply me with the required shards, and consider it done.
I'm pretty sure BW2 moves won't be allowed, since they can't expect the majority to have access to that within a week.

I'm pretty sure BW2 moves won't be allowed, since they can't expect the majority to have access to that within a week.
Well, I mean... For example you have T-Tar in Gen V. You did'nt get a chance to tutor it in Gen IV with Superpower. So we should be allowed to use mons with legal move tutor moves, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)