VGC 2013 USA regionals revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.
145 base attack+Intimidate+Scarf=Win

Thundurus now has Volt Absorb and 145 base Special attack as well. You can't really say they won't be doing huge work in the new meta.
Therian formes will make HP Ice at least a bit more popular, even though the only really noticable use of Thundurus-T over Zapdos is Volt Absorb, the SpAtk boost isn't super important and the speed boost does next to nothing.

JRank

Jonny
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Therian formes will make HP Ice at least a bit more popular, even though the only really noticable use of Thundurus-T over Zapdos is Volt Absorb, the SpAtk boost isn't super important and the speed boost does next to nothing.
i'm sorry, i can't hear you over the sound of my specs thunderbolt 2hkoing your <any pokemon neutral to electric>

Are you serious? So you're saying someone who qualifies for Nationals through the first regional with a completely different metagame than the one that is being played at Nationals itself is fair? :evan:
It's not like the one who qualified for nationals is hiding in a cave somewhere with no access to internet. Odds are, he can get the update about it and change his team accordingly.

It's not like the one who qualified for nationals is hiding in a cave somewhere with no access to internet. Odds are, he can get the update about it and change his team accordingly.
By attacking his argument you are supporting the case to have something as bogus as changing metagames midseason. At least mention you agree it is not a good idea.

By attacking his argument you are supporting the case to have something as bogus as changing metagames midseason. At least mention you agree it is not a good idea.

I agree, it isn't the best idea, but it isn't as bad as he is making it out to be.

I agree, it isn't the best idea, but it isn't as bad as he is making it out to be.
It is as bad as I'm making it out to be.

For example, say I qualify for VGC 2012 Nationals through a VGC 2011 ruleset which was considerably easier. That wouldn't be fair because then at Nationals I'd be competing with people who have fought harder than I did to qualify and chances are I'd lose too because I'm not adapted to the currently played ruleset. Not only that, but having three regionals completely solves this problem as well. Those who don't want to play the VGC one week after the game releases will just not compete in fall regionals and will in either the winter or spring . It really isn't that big of a deal as everyone is making it out to be.

Dimsun

VGC 2012 Seniors Champion
Rukario, stop.
I know I sound bad at the moment, but the fact of the matter is, if you centralize the game around actual playing, which the tournament is about, it really doesn't matter what your meta is; you will qualify if you're the better player then your opponent. Of course, team building has a huge impact and has an impact on every tournament. However, there is really no issue with using a different meta from nats almost a full year before nats. If anything, it keeps the meta more fresh without shutting people without access to six RNG'ers out. Your concept of a meta, in which BW2 is still legal even if it's just a week after release, completely defeats the purpose of having an open regional. You should not have to learn and practice a meta 6 weeks before a game even comes out with tools not available to just any player for it to be competitively feasible for you to attend. Admittedly, I don't like the meta this year; however, it isn't fair to say that only players who play on PO often, in a centralized meta, have a fair chance to compete.

Even if I just typed that entire paragraph, I know you'll continue to disagree, which is fine. I'd just prefer to throw my opinion out here so I don't feel like I should have done it later on.

Rukario, stop.
I know I sound bad at the moment, but the fact of the matter is, if you centralize the game around actual playing, which the tournament is about, it really doesn't matter what your meta is; you will qualify if you're the better player then your opponent. Of course, team building has a huge impact and has an impact on every tournament. However, there is really no issue with using a different meta from nats almost a full year before nats. If anything, it keeps the meta more fresh without shutting people without access to six RNG'ers out. Your concept of a meta, in which BW2 is still legal even if it's just a week after release, completely defeats the purpose of having an open regional. You should not have to learn and practice a meta 6 weeks before a game even comes out with tools not available to just any player for it to be competitively feasible for you to attend. Admittedly, I don't like the meta this year; however, it isn't fair to say that only players who play on PO often, in a centralized meta, have a fair chance to compete.

Even if I just typed that entire paragraph, I know you'll continue to disagree, which is fine. I'd just prefer to throw my opinion out here so I don't feel like I should have done it later on.
Okay, that's fine. Put your opinion out there. My whole point is that the inconsistency with the rulesets for one season will throw people off. The VGC has built it's foundations on having a sole metagame with it developing throughout the season and then at the climactic Worlds, we get to see all these cool teams that are built to defeat the metagame itself. I don't at all agree with a metagame change, but I guess I'm the only one on that boat.

If you're a good enough player to win, you can make another good team quickly.

It's not about learning the metagame; it's about being a better player.

To see the forest, look past the trees. :D

Okay, that's fine. Put your opinion out there. My whole point is that the inconsistency with the rulesets for one season will throw people off. The VGC has built it's foundations on having a sole metagame with it developing throughout the season and then at the climactic Worlds, we get to see all these cool teams that are built to defeat the metagame itself. I don't at all agree with a metagame change, but I guess I'm the only one on that boat.
I wouldn't like it either, but I think it's at least a bit better than creating a whole new metagame and having people get a week to prepare themselves for it. I still don't condone, it though. It's best to keep it at the VGC 2012 metagame all season.

I don't think it would really throw people off, since metagames can and have shifted in between tournaments before and players adapt. Don't most players make a change to their teams between tournaments anyways? How would this be any different in a detrimental way? You'll have enough time to adapt to a new ruleset between the fall regionals and Nats, so you can't say it's a time thing.

People, the point is TPCi doesn't think it's a bad idea because they've been doing it in the TCG since it was released. If it happens, it happens, but honestly the better player will win despite the meta. Look at Ray. He won worlds in 3 vastly different metagames. Even if they DO change meta's on us, odds are it won't be too different and we'll be able to adapt easily. It's a pointless argument imo.

JRank

Jonny
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
People, the point is TPCi doesn't think it's a bad idea because they've been doing it in the TCG since it was released. If it happens, it happens, but honestly the better player will win despite the meta. Look at Ray. He won worlds in 3 vastly different metagames. Even if they DO change meta's on us, odds are it won't be too different and we'll be able to adapt easily. It's a pointless argument imo.
I completely agree.

I'd also like to add that your argument about people unfairly "qualifying" is irrelevant because we are following TCG in many aspects (potentially in having a changing meta through the season is just one), and nationals from now on will most likely be completely open or reasonably easy to qualify for with Play! Points, which have nothing to do with finishes at events.

Is there only one regional per place usually? For example, if regionals are in Ontario in the Fall, does that mean they will not be here in the Spring?

Yes. Here are the following Regional locations for this year:

VGC ’13 Fall Regionals

Ft. Wayne, IN
San Jose, CA
Toronto, ON
Philadelphia, PA
Houston, TX

VGC ’13 Winter Regionals

Lake Buena Vista, FL
Salem, OR
Sandston, VA

VGC ’13 Spring Regionals

Vancouver, BC area
Southern California (Unconfirmed)
Athens, GA
Foxborough, MA
Madison, WI
Utah (Unconfirmed)

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
When TPCi officially announces the locations, there will be threads up and you can see who will be attending there.

Hi all!!

I will be in British Columbia for the Spring Qualifiers! I am all about getting help and for the first time ever learning how to RNG my games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)