Official NBA 2011-12 Season Thread

but I'm especially curious about what captkirby has to say since his sports knowledge is only numbers.
BOOM!

Don't sell his incredible Googling abilities short. Where does he find the time? Incredible if you ask me. Worth of admiration.

As to your question, can't really answer it since that stuff requires you to actually watch the games. So agree with above, D Fisher?

I think the biggest winner in the Dwight Howard-Lakers situation has to be Kendrick Perkins. He just guaranteed himself a fat contract on the Thunder considering how he is the only person on that team that can stop Howard, at least if his agent is halfway decent.

Has there ever been a player as valuable to a team, without putting up good stats, as Kendrick Perkins? I'll take a decent answer from anyone, but I'm especially curious about what captkirby has to say since his sports knowledge is only numbers.
Might have been the worst thing to happen to James Harden too, considering his awful finals run I'm betting he looks pretty expendable to the Thunder front office right now. Either way, the Thunder lose an important piece because I highly doubt they're willing to pay the luxury tax.

So I'm guessing the Thunder will sign James Harden and trade him away when they can? But its not like the PBC, which own the Thunder, would have a problem paying they luxury tax since they have a few billionaires.

Who can actually afford Harden at this point?

Then again Oklahoma fucking sucks. If you dont believe me go anywhere outside of Tulsa or OKC ~_~

The Mavericks, the Orlando Magic, and ATL can afford Harden. The Lakers & The Knicks too, even if they are over the luxury already. IIRC OKC's owners were hesitant on paying the luxury. It's still a small market team that doesn't make nearly as much revenue as the Lakers for example.

So guys, I did something really cool yesterday.

I PLAYED BASKETBALL WITH ERIC GORDON.

He visited IU's campus and was ballin' at our rec center. There were SO MANY PEOPLE trying to get on the court and I had to wait a while but I got on and tried to take him on one-on-one.

...he proceeded to school my ass with a crossover and drain a three in my face, but FUCK it was awesome being on the same court as this dude. He wasn't really playing to dominate because he didn't want to get hurt. He would do a sweet play and then sit back for a couple of possessions. I actually was able to score with an open mid-range jumper off a pick and Gordon was nearby. Soooo basically I scored on an NBA player.

SUIT ME UP, MIAMI.

Dear diary, today i played basketball with Eric Gordon... Too easy man, too easy.

How much is the luxury tax or whatever? Who owns the Thunder that they don't have enough money?

So guys, I did something really cool yesterday.

I PLAYED BASKETBALL WITH ERIC GORDON.

He visited IU's campus and was ballin' at our rec center. There were SO MANY PEOPLE trying to get on the court and I had to wait a while but I got on and tried to take him on one-on-one.

...he proceeded to school my ass with a crossover and drain a three in my face, but FUCK it was awesome being on the same court as this dude. He wasn't really playing to dominate because he didn't want to get hurt. He would do a sweet play and then sit back for a couple of possessions. I actually was able to score with an open mid-range jumper off a pick and Gordon was nearby. Soooo basically I scored on an NBA player.

SUIT ME UP, MIAMI.
That's pretty cool. I got drunk with Metta World Peace last summer at a music festival. He's a cool guy. Not sure I would want to ball against him though.

That's pretty cool. I got drunk with Metta World Peace last summer at a music festival. He's a cool guy. Not sure I would want to ball against him though.
He's a cool guy? Huh. I've always figured his personality would just be outrageously stand-offish.

Ibaka's extension tells me that i don't have to worry about Harden's case anymore. They'll defintely sign him an extension. Now let the fun of being an underdog begin.

He's a cool guy? Huh. I've always figured his personality would just be outrageously stand-offish.
No, he's always willing to party with random people. Even on twitter he's very friendly with his fans.

Ibaka's extension tells me that i don't have to worry about Harden's case anymore. They'll defintely sign him an extension. Now let the fun of being an underdog begin.
On what planet are the Thunder "the underdog"?

A few billionaires and millionaires who got rich off petrol.
Clay Bennet is so cheap he had to steal the Sonics from Seattle. And he and the commish are butt buddies too.

And gabe, that's pretty awesome. I'd give just about anything to get drunk in a bar with Artest. He's fucking hilarious.
Maybe next time I'm in LA, he'll tweet where he's playing beach football

In your planet where you think Lakers is the best team now...
On paper they are the best team in the NBA. In practice it might be a little different until they get accustomed to playing together and comfortable with their new roles.

I guess "underdog" is too subjective such as "clutch"... In any case, I've seen a lot of people in media and betting lines declaring it's Lakers over Thunder, so I think underdog is good term...

In your planet where you think Lakers is the best team now...
I guess "underdog" is too subjective such as "clutch"... In any case, I've seen a lot of people in media and betting lines declaring it's Lakers over Thunder, so I think underdog is good term...
I don't think you know what the definition of "underdog" is.

un·der·dog ( n d r-dôg , -d g ). n. 1. One that is expected to lose a contest or struggle, as in sports or politics. 2. One that is at a disadvantage.
The Bobcats are underdogs. Hell, the Timberwolves are underdogs. The Thunder aren't. Nobody would be surprised if Miami, LA, or OKC won the finals.

As of now, I focus myself on Lakers, Thunder and Heat... Who's your underdog now?

As I've said, "underdog" is very subjective and very dependent on the collection or set (in Math terms) you are comparing the elements with. Your set is the whole NBA, my set is just the Top 3 teams in the NBA as of now. I'm not saying here you are wrong.

Relying too much on dictionary doesn't make you a smart ass, just an ass.

Clutch is a myth which is why it is entirely subjective and entirely incorrectly applied (like how everyone with a fucking brain knows Bryant is not clutch, and pathetic people who parrot the media and "reputation" somehow get a fact wrong). Being an underdog is based on uncertain factors (statistics, wins/losses, gambling action, home/away performance, expectations), so it is derived from uncertain factors. It is also incredibly easy to observe a lot of the time- when a team is disfavored to an extent of +5 or worse in gambling terms they are already only 1/3rd likely to win a game, that is a very big disparity. At +7 you hit only 1/4th, at +8.5 you hit only 1/5th. I mean that is still drawing a somewhat arbitrary line, but I think the general point people begin to feel something is really defying expectations is when a team is accomplishing something that is at least only a 30% chance to happen.

Now to make this more confusing, teams can be -5 to -8 at home and then +4 to +8 on the road from game to game. So that makes who is an underdog or not in the series all the more confusing, especially because the statistics used to decide who wins individual games are very good, but the statistics to project the winner of a series are inadequate.

Wow, I just took a look at Nugget's roster.. Very good offensively and can play some defense. Their problem is that they don't have a go-to guy again. I'm taking them as 3 or 4 in the West.

Wow, I just took a look at Nugget's roster.. Very good offensively and can play some defense. Their problem is that they don't have a go-to guy again. I'm taking them as 3 or 4 in the West.
Taking them as 5th, here's my entire NBA ranking predictions.
East:

1. Heat - Big 3

2. Celtics - Anyone who says they haven't improved this offseason hasn't looked at the Celtics all that closely.

3. Pacers - I reckon they could top the Celtics but I'm going with expirence over explosiveness. They've added depth and kept a strong starting 5.

4. Nets - Argueably the best backcourt in the NBA with a healthy Brook Lopez and a great coach spells trouble for teams in the east. Chemistry could be a problem early on though.

5. Knicks - If the Knicks can put all their pieces together they could push for a top 4, with Anthony as their number one option, a new and hopefully improved Stoudmire and many more assets that could easily be possible.

6. 76ers - They've got the best Centre in the east but the loss of Iggy will need someone to step up and take a leadership role. 6 may be the floor for them this season.

7. Bulls - Will be on the fringes for most of the season imo, then Rose will come in late and boost them into the playoffs.

8. Hawks - Without the elite scoring ability of Johnson they'll struggle to make the playoffs, even though he was overpayed he was the teams go to option and Smith will have to step up big time and dominate for the Hawks sake.

9. Cavs - Will just miss out due to inexpirence.

10. Wizards - A breakout season from John Wall won't be enough to propel into the playoffs, but if others can step up they could be dark horses.

11. Bucks - Excitng backcourt will just fall up short because others have made bigger strides this offseason.

12. Pistons - So many high ceiling players this season it'll be almost unfair a couple of seasons from now if they can do a "Thunder" and get their lottery picks to stay and thrive and guide them deep into the playoffs.

13. Raptors - The Raptors have some pieces, but not enough for a playoff run. The high lottery pick could arguably be more helpful anyway.

14. Magic - Not horrible but pretty weak with the loss of Dwight. They'll struggle but they could get into the top 10 in the conference if they get over having no elite talent at all in the big men spots (calling Glen Davis elite is a stretch imo).

15. Bobcats - What can I say that isn't obvious? No surprises here.

West:

1. Thunder - Durant, Harden, Ibaka, Westbrook. The guys in second place will be the only team within touching distance.

2. Lakers - Dwight is in. So is Nash. The Lakers aim to stay constantly competitive.

3. Spurs - They've retained nearly their entire roster so they'll still be up there.

4. Clippers - Setting the bar at 50 wins will be reasonable for the still rising Clippers. They'll be disapointed the Lakers got Dwight as they'd have been striving to go atop of LA.

5. Nuggets - Iggy and Chandler are welcome editions, expect the nuggets to make some noise this year.

6. Grizzlies - Another year of improvement will keep the Griz in the playoff picture. Losing Mayo's ego is helpful.

7. Timberwolves - If Rubio stays healthy the playoffs will be beckoning for the T'Wolves. High lottery absolute worst imo.

8. Warriors - Again, keep men healthy will dictate whether they get this spot. A nice mix of expirence and youth could make them quite successful though.

9. Jazz - A growing core of guys should let them push into the playoffs in the next couple of years..

10. Mavericks - Expect them to get just shy of .500, but they have to accept they're past there prime and should start the rebuild soon.

11. Trail Blazers - improvement for the Blazers, but not enough to get into the playoffs, they'll holding their breath with Leonard after what happened with Oden.

12. Rockets - It'll take awhile to turn this into a playoff side, at least they don't have the 14th pick for the billionth time in a row tohugh.

13. Suns - The loss of Nash will hurt, their star is Scola and he is an aging guy who is small in his position. In the packed west they won't be making many headlines.

14. Hornets - Despite their edition they are still a young team with not alot of depth, they'll be fighting to not finish bottom in the west. Gordon is going to hopefully stay healthy and win them a few games though.

15. Kings - I can't believe these guys are last. I just couldn't find a higher place to fit them. I guess they don't have many stand out guys by any means and as I said above: the west is packed. If Evans can bring some magic from his rookie season we could be looking at a different story though.

Taking them as 5th, here's my entire NBA ranking predictions.
East:

1. Heat - Big 3

2. Celtics - Anyone who says they haven't improved this offseason hasn't looked at the Celtics all that closely.

3. Pacers - I reckon they could top the Celtics but I'm going with expirence over explosiveness. They've added depth and kept a strong starting 5.

4. Nets - Argueably the best backcourt in the NBA with a healthy Brook Lopez and a great coach spells trouble for teams in the east. Chemistry could be a problem early on though.

5. Knicks - If the Knicks can put all their pieces together they could push for a top 4, with Anthony as their number one option, a new and hopefully improved Stoudmire and many more assets that could easily be possible.

6. 76ers - They've got the best Centre in the east but the loss of Iggy will need someone to step up and take a leadership role. 6 may be the floor for them this season.

7. Bulls - Will be on the fringes for most of the season imo, then Rose will come in late and boost them into the playoffs.

8. Hawks - Without the elite scoring ability of Johnson they'll struggle to make the playoffs, even though he was overpayed he was the teams go to option and Smith will have to step up big time and dominate for the Hawks sake.

9. Cavs - Will just miss out due to inexpirence.

10. Wizards - A breakout season from John Wall won't be enough to propel into the playoffs, but if others can step up they could be dark horses.

11. Bucks - Excitng backcourt will just fall up short because others have made bigger strides this offseason.

12. Pistons - So many high ceiling players this season it'll be almost unfair a couple of seasons from now if they can do a "Thunder" and get their lottery picks to stay and thrive and guide them deep into the playoffs.

13. Raptors - The Raptors have some pieces, but not enough for a playoff run. The high lottery pick could arguably be more helpful anyway.

14. Magic - Not horrible but pretty weak with the loss of Dwight. They'll struggle but they could get into the top 10 in the conference if they get over having no elite talent at all in the big men spots (calling Glen Davis elite is a stretch imo).

15. Bobcats - What can I say that isn't obvious? No surprises here.

West:

1. Thunder - Durant, Harden, Ibaka, Westbrook. The guys in second place will be the only team within touching distance.

2. Lakers - Dwight is in. So is Nash. The Lakers aim to stay constantly competitive.

3. Spurs - They've retained nearly their entire roster so they'll still be up there.

4. Clippers - Setting the bar at 50 wins will be reasonable for the still rising Clippers. They'll be disapointed the Lakers got Dwight as they'd have been striving to go atop of LA.

5. Nuggets - Iggy and Chandler are welcome editions, expect the nuggets to make some noise this year.

6. Grizzlies - Another year of improvement will keep the Griz in the playoff picture. Losing Mayo's ego is helpful.

7. Timberwolves - If Rubio stays healthy the playoffs will be beckoning for the T'Wolves. High lottery absolute worst imo.

8. Warriors - Again, keep men healthy will dictate whether they get this spot. A nice mix of expirence and youth could make them quite successful though.

9. Jazz - A growing core of guys should let them push into the playoffs in the next couple of years..

10. Mavericks - Expect them to get just shy of .500, but they have to accept they're past there prime and should start the rebuild soon.

11. Trail Blazers - improvement for the Blazers, but not enough to get into the playoffs, they'll holding their breath with Leonard after what happened with Oden.

12. Rockets - It'll take awhile to turn this into a playoff side, at least they don't have the 14th pick for the billionth time in a row tohugh.

13. Suns - The loss of Nash will hurt, their star is Scola and he is an aging guy who is small in his position. In the packed west they won't be making many headlines.

14. Hornets - Despite their edition they are still a young team with not alot of depth, they'll be fighting to not finish bottom in the west. Gordon is going to hopefully stay healthy and win them a few games though.

15. Kings - I can't believe these guys are last. I just couldn't find a higher place to fit them. I guess they don't have many stand out guys by any means and as I said above: the west is packed. If Evans can bring some magic from his rookie season we could be looking at a different story though.
I see Mavs at 10. Somebody here won't agree.

Nets - Argueably the best backcourt in the NBA
Sweet mother of God this is an atrocious statement considering there's a team in the NBA right now that has both Steve Nash and Kobe Bryant.

My predictions:

East
1. Heat - Probably the most difficult prediction I've ever made.
2. Pacers - They're just going to keep getting better and better. I'm kind of scared.
3. 76ers - They've finally obtained someone that can dominate on offense while maintaining a lot of what made them a defensive juggernaut last season.
4. Celtics - I feel they'll cruise a bit during the regular season to make sure Pierce and Garnett are feeling good come playoff time.
5. Bulls - Even without Rose for a while they'll be able to scrape by with their defensive efficiency and solid big men.
6. Hawks - Joe Johnson wasn't THAT big of a deal. They still have J-Smoove and they're still a perennial playoff lock.
7. Knicks - They really didn't upgrade at all at any position, and Iman Shumpert will probably be out for a while.
8. Cavaliers - Yeah, bitches. Round 1 of the playoffs, LeBron heads to Cleveland.
9. Bucks - An explosive yet immature back court won't be enough to lead this team into the playoffs.
10. Nets - One of the best point guards in the league, yet one that cares only about statistics along with a former star that's well out of his prime and a young center that can't go three games without hurting himself. Bad things will happen to this team.
11. Raptors - They got some nice additions this offseason, but without any real star to lead them, they won't be going far.
12. Wizards - This team will slowly rise into a playoff team in a few years I believe, but they still need all these young guys to mature.
13. Pistons - Greg Monroe is an exciting player, but there's just nothing on this team that leads me to call them a playoff team.
14. Bobcats - They legitimately do have some talent, and MKG is going to be a solid player for years to come.
15. Magic - They...are going to be horrible.

West
1. Thunder - They'll absolutely dominate the regular season.
2. Lakers - Getting a number one seed is meaningless to these guys. The rings are what they want.
3. Nuggets - Fuck yeah I'm serious. This team is incredibly deep at every position, and don't even get me started on how sweet it's gonna be when Lawson/Iggy/Galo/Faried/McGee start to gel.
4. Spurs - I think there will be some slight regression from last season, but they'll still be great.
5. Clippers - There's still lots of questions about this team, such as: can Blake Griffin make free throws?
6. Grizzlies - They're not really going to change, in my opinion. 1st or 2nd round playoff bounce once again.
7. Mavericks - Their reign as a Western Conference power may be coming to an end. They need to start regaining pieces to once again rise to relevance.
8. Warriors - There is a disclaimer with this prediction, and that disclaimer is that Curry and Bogut stay healthy.
9. Timberwolves - It makes me sad to not have these guys in here, but the West is just so damn competitive.
10. Jazz - They have an epic front line, but I'm still not sure if it will be enough.
11. Trail Blazers - LMA is turning out to be a super star in this league, but there's not enough around him. I couldn't even tell you most of this team's lineup.
12. Hornets - There's some legit talent on this team, and the Bill Russell-type potential for Anthony Davis could translate into this team being a perennial contender in a few years.
13. Kings - This team is just too young and too thin to be great in the Western Conference.
14. Rockets - They lost Lowry, they lost Scola...it's gonna be a rough season.
15. Suns - Speaking of rough, the Suns will be terrible. Nash is the only reason they've been good for like the last fucking decade.

The Magic won't be bottom east tier just yet. They did give Pacers great games last year without Howard. That's not playoff material but it isn't last year's Bobcats either.

Same thing for the Suns. Give them some credit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)