BW2 OU Rain Team Peaked 1700 On PS

TeamBuilding Process

Politoed is obviously my first choice as I wanted to make a rain team. I decided to go with a specs variant as it hits very hard.

I decided to use Tornadus-t to spam that insanely powerful Hurricane as well as have good mixed attacking stats. Regenerator also allowed me to regain health.

I then needed a physical attacker who could take out all of Tornadus-T's counters while also having priority. I initially thought to use scizor but then i saw technician breloom. Technician Breloom is perfect. IMO a better version of swords dance scizor, not banded variants as they have different purposes. Breloom boasted spore and mach punch. It's Fire Weakness was also negated in the rain.

I then realised that I had a weakness to Sun. I was considering Dugtrio who could also help me eliminate tyranitar as well as Ninetales, but he would fail to sweep teams and take ADVANTAGE of the sun. Then it clicked, Volcarona was perfect. It received Hurricane and it took advantage of both rain and sun, it also had a pretty decent shot at taking on tyranitar (in case breloom fainted)

Since I was using Volcarona I need a rapid spinner. I also noticed my team lacked a pokemon which can setup stealth rocks. I had 2 pokemon weak to electric and since most electric type attacks are special breloom couldn't take them well. Donphan was immune to electric and had access to rapid spin and stealth rock. He was an ideal member although his weakness to water was enhanced he would have died to any water type attack anyways bar pokemon with low attacking stats e.g jellicent. In that case I wouldn't even stay in.

For my final team member I wanted a scarfer, one that had the ability to scout and synergise well with the rest of my team. I chose Genesect as he had access to U-turn allowing me to scout which when coupled with a download boost would hit very hard. Genesect also had access to thunder which works really well in the rain as well as Ice Beam. Genesect was a great addition.

After Playing with the team for a while I realised I didn't have any pokemon to take special hits well, so I replaced genesect with specially defensive jirachi. It was great, it helped me paraflinch pokemon to death as well as tanking special hits like crazy. It's fire type weakness was also negated leaving Jirachi with virtually only one weakness, ground. Tornadus - t was immune to it and they synergised very well. It also allowed me to take on opposing Tornadus-T . Now that my team lacked a scarfer I decided to make politoed scarfed.

Thanks to Shining Latios I replaced Volcarona with Latias, Latias was chosen by the Shining Latios because it resists water something my team was unable to handle. Latias could also take on sun teams like volcarona. Since a spinner was no longer required as volcarona was gone i replaced donphan with ferrothorn, who can take dragon type hits more easily thanks to its steel typing, it could also setup spikes and leech seed.

Thanks to Lavos Spawn's suggestion i switched ferrothorn to forretress as I was incredibly weak to entry hazards. Forretress provided me with rapid spin support as well.I also replaced Jirachi for chansey as chansey was a better special wall in general and could still take on tornadus-t while handling genesect more effectively.

Politoed @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Perish Song
- Encore

Politoed is a neccessity on all OU rain teams. I chose to run a scarfed set as my team lacked a scarfer and although less destructive than the choice specs set it still works, allowing me to outspeed nasty plot thundurus and OHKO with Hydro Pump. Hydro pump is essential as it is STAB + Rain Boosted and will hurt anything that doesn't resist it bar Blissey and Chansey. Ice Beam allows me to take on dragons while perish song let's me beat baton pass teams. Enore allows me to beat adamant gyarados as i can lock it into a useless move and proceed to setup with breloom. It also let's me handle sub/cm jirachi.. The EV spread is simple, max Sp Atk and speed allow me to hit as fast and hard as possible. he remaining 4 EV's are put into hp to give me a little extra bulk. A Timid nature is used to help me ouspeed adamant max speed mamoswine, who could severely weaken politoed.

Tornadus-Therian @ Life Orb
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 64 Atk / 192 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature
- Hurricane
- Superpower
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Tornadus- T is arguably the best special sweeper in OU when used in conjunction with rain. 100% accurate Hurricane wrecks most of the OU metagame and is obligatory STAB. Superpower is for blissey and Heatran thinking they can wall me. U-turn is for scouting purposes whilst Hidden Power Ice allows me to demolish dragonite and salamence and Landorus. The Ev's here give me max speed and a naive nature to be as fast as possible. 64 Atk Ev's allow me to hit decently hard from the physical side while 192 SAtk Ev's allow me to hit hard with hurricane. Life Orb is used for the power and the recoil doesn't matter since regenerator will restore my health.

Latias @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Def
Bold Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Dragon Pulse

Thanks to Shiny Latios's suggestion I replaced Volcarona with Latios. My team was weak to opposing rain teams with only breloom and politoed resisting water type attacks and they couldn't take it well. Latias checks sun and opposing rain. Substitute is used to block status and take scizor's U-Turn. Calm mind is for boosting my special attack and special defense. Recover is used for recovery and dragon pulse is to wreck after I have setup. Maximum defense allow me to to take on specially defensive jirachi who can only break my substitutes with 2 iron heads. Speed isn't all that important to me as I hate speed ties (never won a single one). Maximum HP is for more bulk while 4 SpAtk EV's let me hit a bit harder Leftovers is for more bulk while setting up.

Forretress @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 180 Def / 80 SDef
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Rapid Spin
- Gyro Ball
- Volt Switch
- Spikes

Ferrothorn was replaced by forretress because of Lavos Spawn's suggestion. Forretress provides me rapid spin support and allows me to take on stall teams more effectively. Rapid spin is to remove hazard and Hyro ball is a stab move that hits hard thanks to my low speed, It also helps take on mamoswine something that people suggested was troublesome. Volt switch is for scouting and to deal a good chunk to gyarados while spikes is for obvious reasons. 248 hp give me a lot of bulk while 180 def make me an insane physical wall. 80 Spdef EV's give me decent special bulk. A relaxed nature is used for more physical defense

Chansey @ Eviolite
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Softboiled
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Seismic Toss

Chansey is the new special wall on this team, taking special hits easily and stalling out opposing attackers, chansey can handle genesect more effectively than jirachi and can still handle tornadus-t ( fails to 3hko with superpower). Stealth rock is for getting my rocks up ofc while toxic is for stalling out my opponent. Seismic Toss allows me to speed up the process and deal some damage to poison types and lastly softboiled is for instant recovery. Max HP and Max def allow for as much bulk as possible and 4 SpDef EV's are for taking special hits better. A bold nature is used for max defense and eviolite...........

Breloom @ Life Orb
Trait: Technician
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Spore
- Bullet Seed
- Swords Dance
- Mach Punch

Breloom is easily the best late game sweeper on this team. Spore allows me to Incapacitate a pokemon temporarily while I setup swords dances. Bullet Seed is insanely powerful with technician while mach punch gives me priority and has the same power as scizor's bullet punch. Mach Punch can even OHKO pokemon that resist it. 252 Atk and speed Ev's are for hitting as hard and as fast as possible while the remaining 4 Evs are thrown into hp for more bulk. An adamant Nature is used to hit as hard as possible. Life Orb gives me a huge boost in my attacks which allows me to gain a few OHKO's.

Conclusion

This team is one of the best teams I have made so far and I know this team isn't perfect, so please post all your suggestions below and I will try my best to reply to them ASAP. Hope you enjoyed my RMT and leave a Luvdisc if you liked it and make sure you definitely post a reply.

Just a nitpick why not try fighting gem over LO on Breloom? I use it all the time and it works really good.
the reason i use a life orb is to get a consistent boost and if i use fighting gem, ill only have that boost once missing out on OHKO's on many other pokemon but ill definitely try the fighting gem though. thanks for the rate

Hey man, cool team.

I have some suggestions to help you off, however. By just glancing at your team, I see a huge weakness to Rain, particularly Rotom-W. Even Breloom takes a hard hit from a rain-boosted water-type attack on the switch and proceed to get wiped out due to you being slower from running Jolly. Also, Latias and Volcarona perform a similar job. For example, both are boosting sweepers that check sun. Unlike Volcarona, however, Latias provides your team with a vital resistance to water, allowing you to sponge water-type attacks and patch up your Rotom-W weakness. Here is the set:

Latias @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Special Attack / 252 Speed
Timid Nature
Moves:
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Dragon Pulse
- Recover

One more suggestion I have is trying out Perish Song over HP Grass or Focus Blast on Politoed. First of all, Gastrodon doesn't appreciate taking a Tornadus's Hurricane any day and it gets smacked by Bullet Seed from Breloom anyway so Perish Song can be used over it. Your team handles Ferrothorn and Tyranitar well anyways (Donphan and Loom destroy Tyranitar) if you choose to use it over Focus Blast. Perish Song can definitely help you against Baton Pass teams, practically saving you from being sweeped. It is also handy against boosting sweepers as they will die in 3 turns. Hope I helped and good luck with the team.

Hey man, cool team.

I have some suggestions to help you off, however. By just glancing at your team, I see a huge weakness to Rain, particularly Rotom-W. Even Breloom takes a hard hit from a rain-boosted water-type attack on the switch and proceed to get wiped out due to you being slower from running Jolly. Also, Latias and Volcarona perform a similar job. For example, both are boosting sweepers that check sun. Unlike Volcarona, however, Latias provides your team with a vital resistance to water, allowing you to sponge water-type attacks and patch up your Rotom-W weakness. Here is the set:

Latias @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Special Attack / 252 Speed
Timid Nature
Moves:
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Dragon Pulse
- Recover

One more suggestion I have is trying out Perish Song over HP Grass or Focus Blast on Politoed. First of all, Gastrodon doesn't appreciate taking a Tornadus's Hurricane any day and it gets smacked by Bullet Seed from Breloom anyway so Perish Song can be used over it. Your team handles Ferrothorn and Tyranitar well anyways (Donphan and Loom destroy Tyranitar) if you choose to use it over Focus Blast. Perish Song can definitely help you against Baton Pass teams, practically saving you from being sweeped. It is also handy boosting sweepers as they will die in 3 turns. Hope I helped and good luck with the team.
thanks a lot ill definitely try out the latias and ill replace focus blast for hp grass (doesnt do much to ferro anyways)

Hello there. Congratulations on your PS! ranking. I always try to look at and rate teams that have achieved such a respectable rating, lol. Here are a few changes that I think will ultimately help your team.

First off, you mentioned that DD Gyara will hurt your team badly. A simple change from Hidden Power Grass to Hidden Power Electric will do wonders for you, since so few Politoed will use HP Electric. Additionally, HP Electric doesn't screw over your Speed stat, meaning that you can still outspeed Adamant DD Gyarados by 1 point, which is all you need. Note that you lose a moderate amount of coverage, as you will be unable to really hit Gastrodon, but your breloom should be able to handle that situation with ease.

Another threat that I saw that could really maul your team is Adamant Choice Band Haxorus. This thing could easily Outrage twice and 2HKO your Jirachi, even without Stealth Rock on the field. this would force you to lose a pokemon everytime it outrages, unless Jirachi is already out. I have a quick EV change that could help you check this beast. Changing your Jirachi EV spread to 252Hp/40Def/216SpDef, Sassy still allows you to have supreme special defense, while being able to now avoid being 2HKOed by Haxorus with Stealth Rock on the field, allowing you to easily deal with him.

I understand your use of Atk EVs to really make Superpower deal a lot of damage. However, you really have Superpower for one single threat, Tyranitar, a behemoth who would stop your sweep otherwise. However, note that even Specially DefensiveTar will be OHKOed by your Superpower with 0 Atk EVs, even at full health, without Stealth Rock. Changing your EV spread on Tornadus-T to 4Atk/252SpA/252Spe, Naive will greatly improve your Special Attacking power, which is your main weapon in your sweeping in rain. Blissey and Heatran (other walls to you) are also still mauled by Superpower, however, some variations of Blissey will wall you (they could have beforehand, but with a little more difficulty).

Finally, I would like to recommend that you change your nature on Volcorona. Since you already have Leftovers, you should have enough natural bulk to comfortably take resisted Bullet Punches and Mach Punches anyway. I do not really see the need to waste your nature on defense when you could use it to benefit your sweeping prowess. I would recommend that you change your Volcorona's Nature from Bold to Timid. Timid nature will allow you to speed tie with other Max speed 100's. This also allows you to not always lose to Scarfmence at a +1, if you are in a late game situation.

Hey, congratulations again on your impressive ladder ranking. I hope that you can implement these changes and reach new success with your team!

Hello there. Congratulations on your PS! ranking. I always try to look at and rate teams that have achieved such a respectable rating, lol. Here are a few changes that I think will ultimately help your team.

First off, you mentioned that DD Gyara will hurt your team badly. A simple change from Hidden Power Grass to Hidden Power Electric will do wonders for you, since so few Politoed will use HP Electric. Additionally, HP Electric doesn't screw over your Speed stat, meaning that you can still outspeed Adamant DD Gyarados by 1 point, which is all you need. Note that you lose a moderate amount of coverage, as you will be unable to really hit Gastrodon, but your breloom should be able to handle that situation with ease.

Another threat that I saw that could really maul your team is Adamant Choice Band Haxorus. This thing could easily Outrage twice and 2HKO your Jirachi, even without Stealth Rock on the field. this would force you to lose a pokemon everytime it outrages, unless Jirachi is already out. I have a quick EV change that could help you check this beast. Changing your Jirachi EV spread to 252Hp/40Def/216SpDef, Sassy still allows you to have supreme special defense, while being able to now avoid being 2HKOed by Haxorus with Stealth Rock on the field, allowing you to easily deal with him.

I understand your use of Atk EVs to really make Superpower deal a lot of damage. However, you really have Superpower for one single threat, Tyranitar, a behemoth who would stop your sweep otherwise. However, note that even Specially DefensiveTar will be OHKOed by your Superpower with 0 Atk EVs, even at full health, without Stealth Rock. Changing your EV spread on Tornadus-T to 4Atk/252SpA/252Spe, Naive will greatly improve your Special Attacking power, which is your main weapon in your sweeping in rain. Blissey and Heatran (other walls to you) are also still mauled by Superpower, however, some variations of Blissey will wall you (they could have beforehand, but with a little more difficulty).

Finally, I would like to recommend that you change your nature on Volcorona. Since you already have Leftovers, you should have enough natural bulk to comfortably take resisted Bullet Punches and Mach Punches anyway. I do not really see the need to waste your nature on defense when you could use it to benefit your sweeping prowess. I would recommend that you change your Volcorona's Nature from Bold to Timid. Timid nature will allow you to speed tie with other Max speed 100's. This also allows you to not always lose to Scarfmence at a +1, if you are in a late game situation.

Hey, congratulations again on your impressive ladder ranking. I hope that you can implement these changes and reach new success with your team!
thanks a lot. I am aware that at the time you wrote your reply i waas using donphan and volcarona. with the following changes which i have made a dd gyarados and a haxorus cant do much to me because of ferrothorn. i now dont have to switch politoed's hidden power to hp electric as I have ferrothorn. For the tornadus-t i want to be able to ko heatran and get a garuanteed ko on blissey as well as hit magnezone and ferrothorn hard. I also want some power in my u-turn. thanks anyways for the rate and your positive comments. :D

I almost never read these rate my teams and so not really sure how to say this but your team is extremely weak to Mamoswine which is becoming really popular in BW2 as it kills all the Therin Forms/ Genies. You got Jirachi, Ferrothron and politoad but they can't take that many EarthQuakes or Ice shards with entry hazards up, so just giving a heads up notice

I almost never read these rate my teams and so not really sure how to say this but your team is extremely weak to Mamoswine which is becoming really popular in BW2 as it kills all the Therin Forms/ Genies. You got Jirachi, Ferrothron and politoad but they can't take that many EarthQuakes or Ice shards with entry hazards up, so just giving a heads up notice
ferrothorn should be able to take an earthquake as it is physially defensive and if its scarfed, ferro will easily take a hit and if its life orb/vb politoed can easily revenge kill

Hi I played your the other day on PS and I think your team can deal with most threats with proper prediction.

I suggest changing your Jirachi's EV spread to 252 HP/40 Def/216 SDef, which would still allow you to take Hurricanes and Draco Meteors with ease, but will escape an OHKO from Choice Banded Dugtrio's Earthquake, and even has a decent chance of surviving even after a U-Turn from 252 SATK Tornadus-T. You'll still get KO'd the following turn however, but that would give you time to set up Stealth Rock if you didn't have it up, go for damage with Iron Head or attempt to cripple or even fully paralyze Dugtrio with Body Slam before going down.

ferrothorn should be able to take an earthquake as it is physially defensive and if its scarfed, ferro will easily take a hit and if its life orb/vb politoed can easily revenge kill
Your right about Politoad, however if your opponent can make very good predictions, not having to make good prdictions but just smart in genera0,l Life Orb Jolly Mamoswine actually wrecks this team lol just look at the Calculations:

Jirachi is OHKO doing 105.45 % to 124.01 % from EQ
Politoad gets 84.16%- 99.07% From EQ plus Steath rocks OHKO also it gets 16.77 % to 19.57 from Ice Shard so if can finish off a weak Politoad
Ferrothorn gets 15.34% - 17.9 % from Ice Shard from lets say switch in and then 37.78% - 44.6% From EQ,
Latias get 51.1%-60.99% from ice shard

Everything else gets OHKO by Ice shard

That being said if your opponent is just smart enough to keep mamoswine alive and keep it to the very end letting his other pokes putting in damage into yours, you got a problem lol your only solution to Mamsoswine is to safely get in Politoad or ferrothron OR you get some Jedi level predictions in your benefit

@Drizzyblaine handling mamoswine may look difficult but tbh i can easily play around it. And if my opp is predicting like crazy im not gonna just sit there lol. But thx for the rate, ill be cautious with mamoswine even though it's never given me problems @HiImgrey thx for the info, ill make the changes later, i might even use chansey, can handle genesect better as well as handle tornadus (superpower cant even 3hko

Lavos

Banned deucer.
Hey man, first of all, nice team! I like the SDef Jirachi set, it's always been a favorite of mine.

Anyways, down to business. Your team is incredibly weak to basically any decent stall team. I think the problem resides in the lack of a Rapid Spinner, so you have no way to remove hazards. Stealth Rock annoys your Tornadus-T, but a Spike-stacking team can do more than that; a couple layers of Spikes plus SR will wear down your Politoed quickly, losing you the weather war; it will also wear down Jirachi quickly, preventing it from taking as many special hits and ultimately allowing the opponent to break through your defensive core. To remedy this problem, I suggest using Forretress > Ferrothorn. Forretress does much of the same job as Ferrothorn does - it can lay Spikes just as well, and wall physical Dragons just as well, too. The advantage it has over Ferrothorn is access to Rapid Spin, which, as I explained earlier, will aid your team immensely. Gyro Ball still checks a ton of threats, including Mamoswine, who your team is rather weak to, and Volt Switch provides your team with momentum so you can get in Tornadus-T or Breloom easier and do work.

Forretress @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Volt Switch
- Gyro Ball

Remember to change Forretress' Speed IV to 0 to ensure maximum power on Gyro Ball. Nice team, congrats on your ladder peak. I wish you success in the future!

Hey man, first of all, nice team! I like the SDef Jirachi set, it's always been a favorite of mine.

Anyways, down to business. Your team is incredibly weak to basically any decent stall team. I think the problem resides in the lack of a Rapid Spinner, so you have no way to remove hazards. Stealth Rock annoys your Tornadus-T, but a Spike-stacking team can do more than that; a couple layers of Spikes plus SR will wear down your Politoed quickly, losing you the weather war; it will also wear down Jirachi quickly, preventing it from taking as many special hits and ultimately allowing the opponent to break through your defensive core. To remedy this problem, I suggest using Forretress > Ferrothorn. Forretress does much of the same job as Ferrothorn does - it can lay Spikes just as well, and wall physical Dragons just as well, too. The advantage it has over Ferrothorn is access to Rapid Spin, which, as I explained earlier, will aid your team immensely. Gyro Ball still checks a ton of threats, including Mamoswine, who your team is rather weak to, and Volt Switch provides your team with momentum so you can get in Tornadus-T or Breloom easier and do work.

Forretress @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Volt Switch
- Gyro Ball

Remember to change Forretress' Speed IV to 0 to ensure maximum power on Gyro Ball. Nice team, congrats on your ladder peak. I wish you success in the future!
thx, ill implement the changes and without ferro how do i handle opposing jirachi

Lavos

Banned deucer.
thx, ill implement the changes and without ferro how do i handle opposing jirachi
Well, to be honest your team didn't handle opposing Jirachi very well in the first place. If I were you, I'd opt for Encore > Hidden Power [Grass] on Politoed, so that when Jirachi tries to Substitute or Calm Mind, you can switch into Politoed, Encore it into Sub/CM, then switch to Breloom and start Mach Punching away. SubCM Rachi is a real pain for most rain teams, bud. That's the best option I have for you without completely changing the structure of the team.

Well, to be honest your team didn't handle opposing Jirachi very well in the first place. If I were you, I'd opt for Encore > Hidden Power [Grass] on Politoed, so that when Jirachi tries to Substitute or Calm Mind, you can switch into Politoed, Encore it into Sub/CM, then switch to Breloom and start Mach Punching away. SubCM Rachi is a real pain for most rain teams, bud. That's the best option I have for you without completely changing the structure of the team.
kk thx for all the help btw i could handle jirachi easily in the first place. Ferro with iron barbs+rocky helmet stop jirachi from flinching me 2 death.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)