[pimg]145[/pimg]
Zapdos @ Life Orb
180 HP, 252 SpA, 76 Spe
Modest nature (+Spa, -Atk)
-Agility
-Roost
-Thunderbolt
-Hidden Power Ice

Bisharp and Zapdos don't have great synergy by type, but they can use their unique movesets to break walls pretty well, and then have Zapdos or another sweeper clean up afterwards. Bisharp's goal is to come in on the things it walls and set up a Sub or an SD. Roserade, Crobat, and Umbreon are good Pokemon to set up on, though if the opponent is locked into a Choiced attack that Bisharp can deal with, that's even better. Scarf Flygon's Outrage is a great move to come in on, as you can potentially set up a Sub AND an SD if you get some confusion hax. Otherwise, you'll probably have to settle for only a Swords Dance.

Bisharp can then wreak all sorts of havoc on the opponent's team provided that the Bulky Waters are out of the way. A +2 Sucker Punch does loads of damage to the Waters, but all too often the Water will try to Phaze you. I'm looking at you, Blastoise. Fire types are usually OHKO'd by Sucker Punch, and those that try to do some clever switching to get away from Sucker Punch will have to take Iron Head, which has the same Base Power as the fearsome Sucker Punch.

Zapdos makes for an excellent cleaner since he can finally run Modest Life Orb without being taken down by faster opponents thanks to Agility. The only drawback to Agility Zapdos is that BoltPowerIce just isn't a great combo in UU unless you have the hazards/attackers to soften up the opponent's team a bit. If you can wear down the opponent than Zapdos' Speed boost makes it a force to be reckoned with since all those Scarfers that enjoy revenge killing Zapdos suddenly find themselves outspeed and KO'd.

Threats to this core include

Swampert walls this core, so it's important to have Grass-type coverage on your team. Roserade is a nice choice, though some of the more unruly Swamperts will either use Subsitute or a Choice Banded Earthquake to get rid of Roserade. If Roserade is too frail for your liking, then try Shaymin, who walls Swampert consummately and SEED FLARE.

You need a hazard setter, as this core is pretty useless without a couple hazards on the opponent's side. Nidoking makes a great Stealth Rocker since it keeps up the offense from the core, but doesn't do a whole lot for type synergy. Swampert's lone weakness is covered by both Zapdos and Bisharp, and Bisharp's Fire weakness is handled well by Swampert.

ss234

bop.
I think i can help as i used that core earlier :)
Heres the team i used with that:

Dual Handjobs xD (Ambipom) @ Life Orb
Trait: Technician
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Pursuit
- Return
- U-turn

IlikePranks (Sableye) @ Life Orb
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 252 Def / 252 SDef / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Recover
- Toxic
- Taunt
- Foul Play

Shofu (: (Darmanitan) @ Life Orb
Trait: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Superpower

Flower Power (Roserade) @ Life Orb
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Leaf Storm
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis

Haydunn (Kingdra) @ Lum Berry
Trait: Sniper
EVs: 168 HP / 164 Atk / 4 SDef / 172 Spd
- Rest
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Waterfall

IGotzDAClaws (Armaldo) @ Leftovers
Trait: Battle Armor
EVs: 4 Def / 128 HP / 252 Atk / 124 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge
- Rapid Spin
- X-Scissor

Armaldo is iffy. I need a good spinner and i was testing him. Hope i helped Kim :)
Armaldo is in NU for a reason though-he can't break through some common ghost types. If you're looking for an offensive spinner go with SD Kabutops. Also, use Mienshao over Ambipom as Ambipom sucks.

Well, I'm not sure if one has been posted, but a Volt-Turn Core that I've used a bit works really well in UU.

Rotom-H @ Choice Scarf
Levitate
Timid Nature
252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice

Flygon @ Choice Band
Levitate
Jolly Nature
252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch
- U-turn

Xatu @ Leftovers
Magic Bounce
Calm Nature
252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
- Thunder Wave
- Roost
- Night Shade
- U-Turn

These three really work good together, creating a lot of momentum out of nothing, a lot like how Rotom-W and Scizor do way up in OU. The primary goal of this core is to hit and run as much as possible, all while using Xatu to deflect Stealth Rock, which would hamper Rotom-H, and Burns from Flygon. Xatu also uses Thunder Wave to slow a lot of threats up so that Flygon can come in during the late-game and just bowl through everything. Ice-type attacks aimed at Flygon and Xatu are taken comfortably by Rotom-H, Flygon takes the Rock-Type attacks aimed at Rotom-H and Xatu. The only troubles this team has is against the likes of Milotic, Suicune, Swampert, and most other Bulky Waters that would live / resist a Volt Switch or Thunderbolt. I've been running a Porygon-Z alongside these three specifically to break down the opposing Bulky Waters via residual damage and Adaptability Tri-Attacks.

Armaldo is in NU for a reason though-he can't break through some common ghost types. If you're looking for an offensive spinner go with SD Kabutops. Also, use Mienshao over Ambipom as Ambipom sucks.
Thank you for that. I will try the Kabutops and the Minshao :)

Bluwing

icequeen
is a Tutor Alumnus
I play UU so much its not even healthy (so I do know if some things are common and while none of those by themselves are exceedingly common they do exist and when you play UU you will be playing against them).

38% of Darmanitan's run LO or CB. 23.6% of Rhyperior run Ice Punch. 16.5% of Heracross run Swords Dance. 29.8% of Flygon run CB.

Don't ask what ground can wall them, ask what physical wall can beat those physical threats. Porygon2 is not primarily a physical wall so it should not have to wall physical threats. It is a bulky tank. You also fail to recognize in your post that Porygon2 has a single weakness. Gligar is a (mediocre) physical wall. It should wall physical threats. It does not, as I have unquestionably proved, wall a large amount of physical threats. You erroneously claim Gligar can wall Fighting Pokemon and yet Scrafty, Mienshao, SD Heracross, Ice Punch Machamp (32.1% usage) all defeat Gligar using standard sets. Your Fighting resist...loses to Fighting Pokemon! Other Fighting Pokemon can easily walk around Gligar, Heracross needs only to abuse SD and Cobalion needs only to use HP Ice. Cobalion can actually statistically beat Gligar after it switches in SR twice if Gligar tries to counter him. All it needs is SD as Gligar sits at 75%. Iron Head now has a 30% flinch rate and a 6.25% to crit Gligar. If neither happen the Cobalion can absorb an Earthquake and go for another flinch or crit which at that point has a combined chance of 72.5%. Math is not my strong point though, especially probability, so perhaps it would be better to multiply the two 63.75% chances together to get 40.64% of Gligar not being critted or flinched. If you did get a Flinch the first turn Gligar will fall in two more Iron Heads while it cannot OHKO back so it must Roost as you go for another Iron Head and then another as it must Roost again. The chance for a flinch or crit is now undeniably huge. So once more, Gligar loses to a Fighting Pokemon.

The you claim Gligar walls Grounds which is equally false. Rhyperior needs only Ice Punch to ruin Gligar. Nidoking walks right over Gligar. Claydol wins the match up because he runs Ice Beam or Toxic. Little Hippo is irrelevant now. Swampetr now often maxes his attack and abuses Waterfall to beat Gligar. CB Flygon needs only that double SR switch in or just one and a U-turn to Outrage you later if you try to counter him. Flygon can also go mixed. I will concede Krookodile to you though. So essentially Gligar can beat...one out of much more than one Ground type in UU. Maybe two if you count opposing Gligar w/o Taunt or Toxic.

Gligar reliably counters very few physical threats.

Every single time you face one of these threats your core is rendered almost useless because Gligar could not function as a physical wall. You have the rest of your team, fine, but the fact remains that if a core folds to so much of the game then at some point you have to stop calling it a core. Everyone also needs to remember that Gligar loses Leftovers which is absolutely huge because of all the U-turns it has to take, all the switching it has to do with Stealth Rocks up. A Fake Out+U-Turn from Mienshao to a special attacker to force Gligar out and then setting up SR with anything because all of Empoleon Swampert and bronzong can scare Gligar is all it takes to reduce Gligar to already 75% or so health after the SR switch in. At this point it loses the ability to even counter LO Arcanine and Scarf Darmanitan - don't tell me those aren't common now. Gligar resists Fighting and Ground and Bug, if you look from a physical stand point that is all that truly matters. But look at you, Gligar cannot even beat Scrafty or Mienshao or Cobalion often! This is pathetic. Gligars problem is that basically the great majority of UU lphysical attackers can carry STABs strong against it or power through it or use coverage moves against it.

I have not even mentioned the special attackers that can get through Snorlax and squish Gligar which though few in number still exist.

If this is anything though, this is a defensive core and defensive cores may often be the beginning of a stall team and even if not they still are at least the stall element a team has. I love stall very much but it is extremely ineffective right now because the crap load of attackers UU feature. There are absolutely no two UU defenders that can defend against the majority of UU, bump it up to three and maybe you get better results but by then you probably are just a bad stall team and if you go full stall you get walked on by the power houses in UU now.
Gligar is a great physical wall as ut counter huge threats in Heracross and Flygon. Also Gligar has acces to roost and and a slow u-turn so it can bring in a counter + its defense with eviolite is fantastic so dont say it is a bad wall.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Gligar is a great physical wall as ut counter huge threats in Heracross and Flygon. Also Gligar has acces to roost and and a slow u-turn so it can bring in a counter + its defense with eviolite is fantastic so dont say it is a bad wall.
the problem with gligar isn't that it can't take hits, it's that it's really dead weight outside of defense. it can stealth rock, but not too much else. it doesn't hit hard enough at all to be much of an offensive threat. the best it can really do is use taunt to not be set-up fodder.

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
Thank you for your obviously well thought out post and thank you again for your timely response. You were kind enough to put your ignorance on display for the world to gaze at so let me explain why you are quite incorrect and, more importantly, why I am quite correct.

You state that "Gligar is a great physical wall as [it] counter huge threats in Heracross and Flygon." You could fill Gligar with say, Dusclops, and still end up with a statement true...according to your undeniably flawed logic. Let me tell you now, Dusclops is not a good wall outside of full stall in UU and if you don't trust me on that, I suggest you to play UU before displaying your ignorance like my friend BROStime did here. Obviously your first sentence is invalid because countering two powerful threats is not good enough to make a wall good. Walls exist only to counter threats, lots of threats, they aren't about to sweep teams or break open cores. If you can counter two out of thirty, maybe fourty, offensive Pokemon you suck.

Of course if you had actually read my post before you would have learned Gligar is not a reliable counter to either Heracross or Flygon. Heracross can simply slap on SD, with either a status orb or Leftovers to bulldoze through Gligar. I myself am fond of a more defensive variant of Heracross with SD that some great guy on IRC gave me a set for, just enough to outrun Adamant Honchkrow and lots of HP/Defense with an Adamant nature. It sucks up Earthquake like its nothing. In that case, Heracross counter Gligar not the other way around.

Gligar can reliably counter Scarfcross and Scarfgon but plenty of stuff can, including for instance, Eviolite Wartortle. Wartortle I assure you is not very good in UU. Flygon though can easily get around Gligar by using its reputation as a Scarf user to lure in Gligar at ~80% since a Band Outrage does 40% on average. Draco Meteor with LO 2hkos Gligar. Gligar in short, cannot reliably counter these two Pokemon even if they use conventional sets.

Gligar does have access to Roost, thank you for mentioning that. Rather unfortunately it still cannot counter these Pokemon because it has no time to Roost unless you want to constantly spam Roost the entire game to stay at 90%+ in which case your opponent will probably have already set up a +6 Ludiculo in Rain or something retarded like that. Gligar has a higher standard of living than most defensive Pokemon because it lacks Leftovers meaning it needs to constantly be at around 85% after Stealth Rock damage which is basically 100% to counter stuff. If not it cannot even counter LO Arcanine, which is not so good but common, reliably.

It has a slow U-turn, I will give you that which is cool. Of course if you want to use U-turn on say Darmanitan expecting a switch you may be royally screwed.

Gligar has fantastic defenses. Well physically at least it what I think you mean . Cobalion is a relatively weak attacker. Apart from the absolutely pathetic fact that Gligar cannot 2hko Cobalion reliably without Spikes, you must realize Gligar not at 100% health have a very good chance of dying to SD boosted Iron Heads because of the flinch chance. Bisharp does the same but it is stronger and can only take one EQ. See my original post for more on that. I did not mention the implications of that though, if a 90 base attack pokemon can defeat Gligar, it surely means others with greater can too am I right? Of course I am! Arcanine needs Gligar to take SR twice. Scrafty needs Ice Punch or Bulk Up. Darmanitan needs just a LO to 2hko. Victini needs a Band or a special lure. Sharpedo needs to use STAB. Kingdra needs to use STAB. Azumarill needs to use STAB. Weavile needs to use STAB. Mienshao needs to use HP ice or BP SD boosts away. Flygon needs a Band. Heracross needs SD. Rhyperior needs Ice Punch. Swampert needs STAB. Honchkrow needs you to switch in SR twice. Snorlax needs Curse or Ice Punch. Machamp needs Ice Punch or Rest Talk. These, perhaps most shockingly, are all part of standard sets. So basically Gligar can reliably counter Krookodile (I swear BU is going to be popular) and Stoutland (LOL).

"Ok hilarious we motherfucking get it now, you don't need to rant." No you don't get it and yes I need to rant because apparently some of you just don't get it or otherwise disregard my posts. Are they too long? mayyyybeee. If you cannot spend the five minutes it takes to read my posts then please don't bother to respond.

Bluwing

icequeen
is a Tutor Alumnus
the problem with gligar isn't that it can't take hits, it's that it's really dead weight outside of defense. it can stealth rock, but not too much else. it doesn't hit hard enough at all to be much of an offensive threat. the best it can really do is use taunt to not be set-up fodder.
As I said with access to slow U-Turn it can be really good helping your offensive threats in to the battle without taking hits. Also Gligar has access to Roost, meaning that it can come in later in the game and Roost up so I wont say Gligar is dead weight when used the right way.

Thank you for your obviously well thought out post and thank you again for your timely response. You were kind enough to put your ignorance on display for the world to gaze at so let me explain why you are quite incorrect and, more importantly, why I am quite correct.

You state that "Gligar is a great physical wall as [it] counter huge threats in Heracross and Flygon." You could fill Gligar with say, Dusclops, and still end up with a statement true...according to your undeniably flawed logic. Let me tell you now, Dusclops is not a good wall outside of full stall in UU and if you don't trust me on that, I suggest you to play UU before displaying your ignorance like my friend BROStime did here. Obviously your first sentence is invalid because countering two powerful threats is not good enough to make a wall good. Walls exist only to counter threats, lots of threats, they aren't about to sweep teams or break open cores. If you can counter two out of thirty, maybe fourty, offensive Pokemon you suck.

Of course if you had actually read my post before you would have learned Gligar is not a reliable counter to either Heracross or Flygon. Heracross can simply slap on SD, with either a status orb or Leftovers to bulldoze through Gligar. I myself am fond of a more defensive variant of Heracross with SD that some great guy on IRC gave me a set for, just enough to outrun Adamant Honchkrow and lots of HP/Defense with an Adamant nature. It sucks up Earthquake like its nothing. In that case, Heracross counter Gligar not the other way around.

Gligar can reliably counter Scarfcross and Scarfgon but plenty of stuff can, including for instance, Eviolite Wartortle. Wartortle I assure you is not very good in UU. Flygon though can easily get around Gligar by using its reputation as a Scarf user to lure in Gligar at ~80% since a Band Outrage does 40% on average. Draco Meteor with LO 2hkos Gligar. Gligar in short, cannot reliably counter these two Pokemon even if they use conventional sets.

Gligar does have access to Roost, thank you for mentioning that. Rather unfortunately it still cannot counter these Pokemon because it has no time to Roost unless you want to constantly spam Roost the entire game to stay at 90%+ in which case your opponent will probably have already set up a +6 Ludiculo in Rain or something retarded like that. Gligar has a higher standard of living than most defensive Pokemon because it lacks Leftovers meaning it needs to constantly be at around 85% after Stealth Rock damage which is basically 100% to counter stuff. If not it cannot even counter LO Arcanine, which is not so good but common, reliably.

It has a slow U-turn, I will give you that which is cool. Of course if you want to use U-turn on say Darmanitan expecting a switch you may be royally screwed.

Gligar has fantastic defenses. Well physically at least it what I think you mean . Cobalion is a relatively weak attacker. Apart from the absolutely pathetic fact that Gligar cannot 2hko Cobalion reliably without Spikes, you must realize Gligar not at 100% health have a very good chance of dying to SD boosted Iron Heads because of the flinch chance. Bisharp does the same but it is stronger and can only take one EQ. See my original post for more on that. I did not mention the implications of that though, if a 90 base attack pokemon can defeat Gligar, it surely means others with greater can too am I right? Of course I am! Arcanine needs Gligar to take SR twice. Scrafty needs Ice Punch or Bulk Up. Darmanitan needs just a LO to 2hko. Victini needs a Band or a special lure. Sharpedo needs to use STAB. Kingdra needs to use STAB. Azumarill needs to use STAB. Weavile needs to use STAB. Mienshao needs to use HP ice or BP SD boosts away. Flygon needs a Band. Heracross needs SD. Rhyperior needs Ice Punch. Swampert needs STAB. Honchkrow needs you to switch in SR twice. Snorlax needs Curse or Ice Punch. Machamp needs Ice Punch or Rest Talk. These, perhaps most shockingly, are all part of standard sets. So basically Gligar can reliably counter Krookodile (I swear BU is going to be popular) and Stoutland (LOL).

"Ok hilarious we motherfucking get it now, you don't need to rant." No you don't get it and yes I need to rant because apparently some of you just don't get it or otherwise disregard my posts. Are they too long? mayyyybeee. If you cannot spend the five minutes it takes to read my posts then please don't bother to respond.

Wow calm down dude lol ! You know just like me that Gligar counters a lot off huge threats not only Flygon and Heracross, I thought you got my point but you obviously didnt. And YES it is an defensive pokemon with not too powerfull attacks that is why U-Turn come in handy, also Gliscor has great synergy with a lot off pokes out there so if you say Gligar is a bad mon your wrong, but whatever I dont need you to tell me what to do. I have played competitive for a while and, I find UU extremely fun. So dont be a douche because I dont share the same opinion as you do.
Have a nice day further.

Adding a Blastoise to the Gligar + Snorlax core seemed to help me out. Blastoise is a good Rapid Spinner, and he can also take water and ice attacks that Gligar doesn't appreciate. I also found that Blastoise generally takes on Mixed Mienshao well, which would usually break the Gligar + Snorlax core.

As I said with access to slow U-Turn it can be really good helping your offensive threats in to the battle without taking hits. Also Gligar has access to Roost, meaning that it can come in later in the game and Roost up so I wont say Gligar is dead weight when used the right way.

Wow calm down dude lol ! You know just like me that Gligar counters a lot off huge threats not only Flygon and Heracross, I thought you got my point but you obviously didnt. And YES it is an defensive pokemon with not too powerfull attacks that is why U-Turn come in handy, also Gliscor has great synergy with a lot off pokes out there so if you say Gligar is a bad mon your wrong, but whatever I dont need you to tell me what to do. I have played competitive for a while and, I find UU extremely fun. So dont be a douche because I dont share the same opinion as you do.
Have a nice day further.
Whoa whoa whoa, dude. What DOES it counter? Give us FACTS, give us NUMBERS, PERCENTAGES, not just 'yeah it counters a lot of stuff'. Unlike you, the other guy gave facts, useful facts mind you, he may have been a bit mean-ish, but he's right. Also, don't try to just close it off because you don't want to, you know, discuss. Which is what's a discussion is for...

Also, I love Machamp. Dynamicpunch/Stonedge/Substitute/Toxic whilst not very coverage-y, is very nice to have.

Porygon2 is a monster, A MONSTER I tell you.

edit: (for those that didn't realize it, I like the (not that useful but..) P2 + Machamp Combo)

I've recently rediscovered this gem of a core I used on an (admittedly horrible) old team (from BW1):

Sharpedo @ LO
252 Atk/88 Def/88 SpD/84 Spe
Adamant
Speed Boost
- Protect
- Crunch
- Waterfall
- Earthquake

Yanmega @ Choice Specs
4 Def/252 SpA/252 Spe
Modest/Rash
Tinted Lens
- Bug Buzz
- Air Slash
- U-Turn/HP Ground
- Giga Drain/HP Ground

Basically, a nuclear version of the Wallbreaker+Sweeper combo that spans the ages of competitive pokemon. Yanmega lures in walls who expect speed boost and 2HKO's many of them with its STABs alone. Your last 2 slots have the option of scouting ability/switch advantage, coverage against Rhyperior and Swampert in a addition to healing, and coverage against a couple of notable walls that can take your STABs, like Registeel, though HP Ground will rarely do enough to break through them alone. Once walls are out of the way, speed boost Sharpedo can destroy offensive 'mons without breaking a sweat.

A great partner is Hitmontop who spins (which is necessary) and KOs Snorlax for you, and can lure bulky waters in for toxic. Roserade lays spikes to help break things while also beating bulky waters who threaten to take your hits, like Suicune.

Not tried out Specs Yanmega much so I will have to have a look at that.

The trouble with Sharpedo though is that it cannot OHKO a lot of offensive pokes at full health. For example, Jolly Sharpedo can't even OHKO Meinshao, one of the most frail sweepers at full health (Sharpedo@Life Orb (252 EVs, Neutral Nature) Waterfall vs Meinshao (0/0 EVs, Neutral Nature): 90 ~ 106.2% (244 ~ 288 HP)). On the flipside, almost any neutral hit from a sweeper can OHKO it.

So Sharpedo needs more than just Yanmega to form a core. Sharpedo really needs Stealth Rock and Spikes on the field in order to function at its best, so Roserade and Bronzong would make great team-mates. Bronzong would be the preferred Stealth Rocker since you desperately need a Physical Wall if you're using the aforementioned pokes, and he also provides a much needed Flying resist which is completely necessary if you're also using Hitmontop to keep away the rocks Yanmega hates. That's not a core, that's practically a whole team.

These sweepers do need a lot of support, it's true. But specs ya mega has been a lot of fun to play with and pretty strong in my testing. Sharpedo simply complements it somwhat well.

meddle

boomer user
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Nidoqueen and Umbreon have been forming a good core for me lately. Together they have nice defensive synergy, and Umbreon's wishes help keep Nidoqueen healthy and dishing out tons of damage.

Nidoqueen @ Life Orb
Trait: Sheer Force
EVs: 240 HP / 216 SpA / 52 Spe
Modest Nature
~ Earth Power
~ Sludge Wave
~ Ice Beam
~ Fire Blast

What's especially nice about Nidoqueen right now is that she makes a great check to both Raikou and Heracross, perhaps the two most threatening Pokemon in the tier currently. She also absorbs Toxic Spikes which are a death sentence for Umbreon and the rest of my team since I don't run Heal Bell usually. She resists SR as well which is always a plus. Fire Blast and Ice Beam are my coverage moves of choice since it is important to not be walled by Bronzong and to be able to KO Flygons who can otherwise get in for free on every other move Nidoqueen packs.

Umbreon @ Leftovers
Trait: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
~ Wish
~ Payback
~ Taunt
~ Toxic

Even though Umbreon's Taunt is slow, it can hit potential switch-ins who want to use it as set-up bait, which gives Umbreon a bit of breathing room to pass a Wish. There are still slow Pokemon that Taunt is very useful for as well (namely OTR/NP Cofagrigus, Porygon2, Bronzong, Slowbro, and Snorlax, who is a particular nuisance to Nidoqueen). I opt out of Heal Bell on this set since Nidoqueen makes a great status absorber for Toxic and T-wave and I usually run a Fire type to take WoWs.

I might be a little late, but this is a great defensive core that I use extremely often:

Registeel and slowbro are both one of the best walls in UU, and their synergy is great. I would dare to say that slowbro is about the best physical wall in the tier in most situations, and is a pokemon worth trying. Registeel can play both physical and special defensive role, and because of the steel typing, it covers every weakness slowbro's got, except one, being electric. But since all the electric type users in UU uses Thunderbolt, they're not threatening to registeel at all. This is how I abuse this core:

Registeel @ Leftovers
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 24 Def / 232 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Toxic
- Protect/iron head/shadow claw
- Seismic Toss
- Stealth Rock

Slowbro @ Leftovers
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Scald
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Slack Off

Registeel: The Ev spread seems kinda random, but I don't like putting all Evs in one defence, seeing that the other side of the spectrum becomes pretty vulnerable. It is slowbros job to take most of those hits, but taking megahorns from Heracross is still registeels job. I mostly run the Toxic/protect/seismic toss combo, to toxic stall and get of some damage between protect-restoring(my bad) turns. Of course, having Iron head would be nice for some ghosts, like mismagius and rotom, and shadow claw is super effective. Besides that, I would say Protect is the best option.

Slowbro: It's main reason to be here: Set up on suicune, take physical hits, threaten victini. Being able to Calm mind along with many other pokes is an awesome ability, and psyshock gives it the upper hand. Scald has a nifty chance to burn physical threats, while slack off is great recovery. Regenerator is an awesome ability, seeing that slowbro can switch in and out to recover back health, instead of having to pull off a slack off. The 8 spd Evs are there to outspeed other slowbros, getting off the first and important psyshock(Which will do shit anyways), and to outspeed threats like banded Escavalier, which some people run speed Evs in, just to outspeed and kill slowbro. Running flamethrower is another options for just taking those down, while grass knot works fine when it comes to killing other slowbros.

cim

I've been having some success with a psuedo-defensive core of Crobat, CB Snorlax, and CS Slowbro. Crobat covers your Fighting types with a move for Slowbro, anything particularly fast, and uses Super Fang to tear down walls. CB Snorlax has a powerful bulky Pursuit to permanently dispatch Azelf, Mew, and Chandelure, as well as a strong STAB Return that hits a large portion of the tier for neutral damage. CS Slowbro is fantastic. Regenerator is practically made for Choice Specs. Psyshock 2HKOs many Snorlax, while Scald is just a great coverage move that can Burn anything trying to foolishly set up on it.

This core does have the fault of no hazard support, but as opposed to the traditional Slowbro / Snorlax core, it's less about phazing and more about hitting hard and posing a continuous offensive threat. I especially love when people Toxic either of these Pokemon - thanks for the free hit.

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
seconding any core using CS Slowbro^^

I have been obliterating all opposition with the amazing CB Crobat+CS Darmanitan which only requires hazard support and Magic Bounce/Rapid Spin support to walk over everything (I don't really consider the SUPPORTERS part of the CORE). Few things can effectively wall both of these guys and they get struck down from hazards while it is essential you keep SR off your side of the field. Because these two are so fast and powerful (Jolly CS Darm's FlareBlitz is hitting about as hard as Adamant CB Flygon and CB Bat is doing enough to OHKO 100% Chandelure) they generally have an easy time outspeeding offensive teams and OHKOing their Pokes. Spamming U-Turn early game is not a bad idea to soften up things like Suicune even more.

The cores biggest weakness are things faster than Scarf Darmanitan.

seconding any core using CS Slowbro^^

I have been obliterating all opposition with the amazing CB Crobat+CS Darmanitan which only requires hazard support and Magic Bounce/Rapid Spin support to walk over everything (I don't really consider the SUPPORTERS part of the CORE). Few things can effectively wall both of these guys and they get struck down from hazards while it is essential you keep SR off your side of the field. Because these two are so fast and powerful (Jolly CS Darm's FlareBlitz is hitting about as hard as Adamant CB Flygon and CB Bat is doing enough to OHKO 100% Chandelure) they generally have an easy time outspeeding offensive teams and OHKOing their Pokes. Spamming U-Turn early game is not a bad idea to soften up things like Suicune even more.

The cores biggest weakness are things faster than Scarf Darmanitan.
I'm interested of how this core handles Rhyperior, seeing as it effectively walls Crobat 100% and even with good prediction Darmanitan's Superpower won't knock off too much. So something like Blastoise would be good to handle that and also spin for the pair? Or even a CS Slowbro ;)

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
i hope and pray my opponent doesnt use rhyperior ehehehe. just kidding i see a rhyperior as a blessing - two sweepers is better than one wall. of course they wont break it themselves but i stack spikes and almost force rhyperior to come in only to shave off 15-30% net (depending on hazards) damage with batty's Uturn and then immediately force it back out with SHAYWIN (very cute, very strong, very bulky). At this point Rhyperior is running away I am putting intense pressure which I can turn to momentum by a double switch or obvious prediction (hahahaha die Chandelure eat my epower) and pretty much insurmountable material gain. If Rhyperior wants to come in again it will be at 50% health likely and 35% if it comes in on a U-turn...not very hard to kill it off because it will be forced out AGAIN. meanwhile my xatu should be keeping me clear of nasty nasty hazards - of course if their rhyderpior is setting up hazards i will kep shaymin in play for much of thematch to make sure they dont have a chance to get up rocks. for reference the team is batty/darm/froslass/rhyperior (i use my own!!!)/shaymin/xatu. Best thing the team can say about Chandelure is Modest ones always are outsped and OHKOd by Crobat :l

Oh and RP Rhyperior genrally 6-0s me plz dont use it, thx.

On the Umbreon + Dusclops core, please go Foul Play > Payback on Umbreon, as Foul Play is capable of dealing more damage, especially on Azelf, where Foul Play can deal a potential OHKO.

Empoleon/Cresselia Core
Defensive

Empoleon@Leftovers
Trait: Torrent
Calm Nature
-Scald
-Stealth Rock
-Roar
-Icebeam/Grass Knot
Ev's: 252 HP/180 SDef/rest can be put into SAttack or Def. Just a personal choice

Cresselia@Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
Bold Nature
-Thunder Wave/Calm Mind
-Ice Beam
-Psychic/Psyshock
-Moonlight
Ev's: 252 HP/252Def/4SAttack

This core allows you to take hits with ease due to the huge bulk of the two pokemon and the great synergy they share. Cresselia tanks Fighting type moves and avoids ground types for Empoleon, who repays the favor by taking on Ghost, Dark, and Bug type moves without worry. The only weakness left by this core is one to Electric but this can be solved by a simple addition of a ground type, not terribly hard.

The move sets are fairly standard but you do have some options. Grass Knot or Ice Beam on Empoleon is just a matter of choice, do you want to hit Gligar and Zapdos hard (Whom you shouldn't stay in on anyways....) with Ice beam? Or do you want the more reasonable Grass Knot so you can take on Bulky waters that wall you without having to Scald spam and hope for a Burn. Thunder Wave or Calm Mind on Cresselia really just depends on whether you want to be able to sweep or need the paralysis support, there really is no right or wrong answer its just a preference.

These two together pose many problems for offensive teams and defensive teams alike and can be a huge pain in your side with Empoleon phazing you around and Cresselia either boosting up or Parahaxing your team.

This core I've been trying, with moderate success:

Porygon2@Eviolite
Trace
Calm Nature
252 HP, 252 SpDef, 4 SpA
Recover
Tri Attack
Thunderbolt
Ice Beam

Qwilfish@Leftovers
Intimidate
Impish Nature
252 HP, 252 Def, 4 Atk
Waterfall
Thunder Wave
Pain Split
Spikes

Porygon2 is primarily a special wall, stopping threats like Zapdos and Chandelure in their tracks. Trace is a very good ability that lets me beat a variety of threats. Recover is great, reliable recovery, and Tri Attack is strong STAB. BoltBeam for coverage. I run Thunderbolt to compensate for the loss of power caused by not running Download or Analytic. Qwilfish's main job is to counter the Fighting-types that give Porygon2 so much trouble. It's great typing, ability, and support movepool make it very good. Waterfall is strong STAB, Pain Split for recovery (only one besides Rest), Thunder Wave to spread status, and Spikes for hazard damage. I've also considered Haze, but I prefer Spikes.

Running Discharge over Tbolt is generally a better idea for defensive P2s.
A set of Discharge, Ice Beam, Toxic and Recover is very helpful in checking a lot of different Pokemon. Discharge is, just like Scald, a move you opponent most often doesn't want to switch into, because a paralysis is most often game changing, while Toxic can be used on Ground Type switch ins.

You'd need a good Roserade check for this core though. Specially defensive Roserade can take uninvested Ice Beams, while stacking up layers of Spikes or put you to sleep. Also it doesn't really fear paralysis and can threaten Qwilfish with it's strong STAB attacks. That's just a quick thought that came to my mind though, so I might be wrong on that.

cim

You'd need a good Roserade check for this core though. Specially defensive Roserade can take uninvested Ice Beams, while stacking up layers of Spikes or put you to sleep. Also it doesn't really fear paralysis and can threaten Qwilfish with it's strong STAB attacks. That's just a quick thought that came to my mind though, so I might be wrong on that.
Not necessarily. If Roserade is offensively threatened by something else on your team, Tracing Natural Cure and firing strong Ice Beams at it will still put the hurt on it. If you fall asleep or Roserade Spikes, just bring in your offensive threat.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)