Team of Elites: The Final Chapter

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
THE TEAM OF ELITES

Hey guys! This is like my 20th time doing this because I always accidently close the window before finishing it so hopefully I don't do it again... but anyways this is my second RMT. Having made so many changes to the last RMT, I decided to create a completely different thread to make it look much better and to make it easier on me to fix a bunch of things. This team I currently have is still in the works, and although I am very comfortable with the team there are a few things that I'm still deciding to change, so that's where you guys come in to help me with these decisions! So that's about it, I hope you enjoy this RMT, and feel free to address as many critiques you want. The more, the better my team becomes. Keep in mind that this team is meant to be a set up sweeping team, so make sure to base you rates around that if you reccommend me a new team member. So that means don't suggest me any Stallers or a bunch of walls, unless it would greatly help out my team. Also, the quotes stated about each team member were actual rants that were made against them during battle. Let's get this going:

TEAM BUILDING

Although there really isn't such things as leads anymore in the current metagame, I wanted to first look for a very fast team member that could be useful in many situations. Jolteon was a great first addition to my team, as it is not only one of the fastest Pokemon in OU, it's also useful for scouting and dealing powerful hits. He provides great coverage with his Electric attacks, and he's also great for getting rid of Gliscor.

Next I needed a reliable Rapid Spinner who could take care of entry hazards, and hopefully could deal some nice solid hits back. Starmie was a great candidate, and it provided great coverage against Fire and Ground types. It also had access to Thunderbolt, which could knock out Jellicent and prevent it from spin blocking.

Breloom found a very comfortable niche on my team due to it's sheer power and sleep crippling abilities. I decided to go with a Techniloom set. With just two Swords Dances, Breloom can pretty much OHKO anything that doesn't resist it, and with Spore, it's great for crippling walls and helping it set up to sweep. Mach Punch and Bullet Seed provide amazing coverage too.

When looking for a wallbreaker, I turned to good old Salamence. With the Moxie ability, Salamence is able to blast through anything with a STAB Outrage. He's also a nice answer to Steel types.

Next I decided to try out a scarfed Jirachi. This Jirachi worked fairly nicely as a revenge killer, and could provide pretty nice coverage with it's elemental punches. He was also a nice counter against outraging dragons.

Deoxys-D was the final Pokemon on my team, and worked very well to wall anything pretty much. With Taunt, he was great for crippling walls like Blissey or Gliscor who tried to set up entry hazards or cripple my team with status. He also had access to Recover and Stealth Rocks. Deoxys-D definitely left an impact on my team.

After a few battles that should have been easy to win, I realized who was holding me back the most, Jirachi. Jirachi dealt fairly wimpy hits, and was constantly being switched out due to being locked into a move because of its scarf. On top of that, my team had a harrowing weakness to Sun teams, and Jirachi didn't help at all. I decided to try out an Offensive Dancing Volcarona. After a couple Quiver Dances, Volcarona annihilates anything it's path, and with Hidden Power Rock it can take care of Fire types on Sun teams as well as surprising Tornadus-T. It's also a great counter against Reuniclus, and Mamoswine.

With Volcarona being added to the team, frailness seemed to be a common problem on my team. With Deoxys-D gone, my team can't take any hits. Starmie was just way to frail to stay alive most of the battle to and provide spin support. With Donphan able to take a ton of Physical attacks and being able to stay alive much longer while providing great Ground STAB, he was a much better choice over Starmie.

I'm still having a problem in dealing with Scarfed dragons that decide to Outrage. I also don't have a very reliable revenge killer, even with Jolteon being fast. Latios was a great replacement over Salamence, as it has access to Draco Meteor which is not only more powerful than Outrage, but doesn't trap you in. I am now able to handle Scarfed Dragons with ease, and since I chose the Scarfed set on Latios, I can pretty much outspeed any other Dragon. Latios is just all around more versatile then Salamence ever was.

This next change I have made to my team thus far was by far my biggest and most effective. By replacing Donphan with Forretress, I am able to tank so many more hits such as Water, Ice, and Dragon type attacks. With Forretress' only real weakness be Fire attacks, I can pretty much switch him into anything and either spin away hazards or set up Stealth Rocks. He is also still able to handle Dragon types like Donphan could with Hidden Power Ice. I also replaced Deoxys-D with Terrakion, which was the best decision thus far. With a Choice Banded Terrakion, I am able to destroy anything that doesn't resist Terrakion, and with so much coverage and insane STAB moves such as Close Combat and Stone Edge, nothing has an easy chance of defeating it. I am now able to patch up my Mamoswine weakness even further and same goes with my Sun team weakness.

After the many changes to my team, such as replacing Latios' Choice Scarf role into a monster Choice Specs user, and giving Terrakion the almighty Choice Scarf, things were looking pretty good. However, a team member that I thought would remain on my team forever was starting to lag behind. Although very fast, Jolteon just couldn't keep up with the offensive power that most of my team posses, and his average SpA just didn't work very well on bulkier threats. His amazing synergy with my team had now quickly vanished, as Jolteon was now mainly used to just do as much damage as possible before being knocked out. He was very hard to switch into anything safely, had very poor bulk, and had a terrible weakness to any bulky Rock and Ground types. With that said, Jolteon's throne is now given to a team member that has redefined the synergy of my team, and with it my team can now officially be called a hyper offensive sweeping team. Enter, Thundurus-T. With a Timid nature and access to so many different moves to choose from, Thundurus-T can handle things that Jolteon could not, and can do one thing that Jolteon could only dream of, sweep. More information as to why he was an amazing replacement down below.

After all that hard work getting my team readjusted to work better with Terrakion and Latios, I was yet again backed in a corner more than usual, and I was once again forced to find the source of the problem. At first, I looked to Volcarona. With Volcarona relying on Forretress' Rapid Spin support 24/7, it was getting quite tedious to make sure that Forretress was alive until the Stealth Rocker was taken out, which usually didn't happen. With Forretress constantly taking massive hits from Rapid Spinning all the time, and since he was pretty much only for spinning and tanking, I felt that I needed to replace him for something more versatile. Ferrothorn pretty much having the same weaknesses as Forretress, and being able to now efficiently tank powered up Water attacks, he was a much better Pokemon to have on my team. With Ferrothorn having access to so many helpful moves like Thunder Wave, Leech Seed, and Protect, Ferrothorn really helped balance out my offensive team and with T-Wave and Protect, it really helped with Choiced users and Dragons locked into Outrage. Now what about Volcarona? This deadly moth helped me through so many battles, but at the same time, has made me lose a lot as well. With a horrible weakness to Stealth Rock and the ever so common Rock type, I needed him replaced with my spinner gone, and since Ferrothorn's moveset was solely for stalling and crippling, I needed a Stealth Rocker. An offensive Heatran was a great replacement. With Stealth Rock, and providing basically the same coverage as Volcarona, Heatran is so much more reliable the Volcarona, and with no weakness to Stealth Rock, a Rapid Spinner is unneeded. Heatran is offensive, however a specially defensive might be considered, as it still hits hard, but is great for crippling walls and sweepers.

Well here we go again. Yet again, I had to make a pretty drastic change to my team, as I was really starting the realize the pain and suffering Ice types such as Mamoswine and powerful Ice Punchers were bringing to my team. This time, I have hopefully solved the dilemma. With a Specs Rotom-W, I now have access to two STABs, and can now safely switch into an Ice Sharding Mamoswine and absolutely demolish it with Hydro Pump. Rotom-W also functions as a powerful Volt Switcher who can scout in and out of danger, as well as providing nice Electric STAB in the form of Thunderbolt.

THE TEAM

IN DEPTH

Hydro Power (Rotom-W) @ Choice Specs

Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunderbolt/Trick

SUMMARY: Now this change may come as a surprise to quite a few of you guys that have seen this RMT in the past, and are used to me praising my former member Thundurus-T for all my victories. Well, that was the problem. Although other members of my team were greatly used in battle, their full potential was sometimes not entirely shown due to Thundurus-T stealing the show with it's insane sweeping power. However, with that said, the main reason that I had to let the big man go is do to my insane weakness to Ice types and his very pitiful bulk. With Rotom-W now comfortably plopping his clean ass down on the lead spot, the likes of Mamoswine and frail revenge killers are no match for the pure power that is hidden behind that mischievous smile. He plays a role very similar to Thundurus-T as a hard hitter, and an Electric type that is also immune to Ground type attacks and Spikes/Toxic Spikes thanks to Levitate. First off, you may be wondering why Rotom-W was given the Choice Specs as well as Latios. Well it's quite simple, but lets just say it took a lot of trial and error before I found this item to work the best on him. The reason it was so difficult, was I wanted a team member that could provide similar coverage as Thundurus-T did, as well as also being able to pack some serious punch and be able to check Mamoswine. I tried the Choice Scarf to be a speedy revenge killer, but he was too weak. I tried Expert Belt, but again if it wasn't against something Super Effective, it was too weak. With Specs however, I am able to scout out of danger as well as OHKO things that I never knew were possible to OHKO with Rotom-W. But enough of the chit chat, lets get to his move set.

MOVESET: Rotom-W is the undisputed secret weapon of my team. Packing some serious heat with Choice Specs and access to not one but TWO powerful STABs, Rotom-W can check a whole plethora of threats that Thundurus-T wouldn't dream of going up against. Again, having Specs on Rotom-W and Latios actually doesn't hinder my team's momentum in the slightest, as it actually enhances the synergy and effectiveness of my two other Choice team members. Volt Switch is the key to Specs Rotom-W's success. Anything that is weakened or doesn't tank a Volt Switch very well will be taken out, and it allows me a free switch. It's also great because although not a reliable STAB, it keeps Rotom-W from being locked into Thunderbolt or any of his other moves and forcing me to switch into something to resist an attack. Volt Switch is also good for just plain scouting, and brings back memories of Jolteon when he used to be sitting in the first team spot. Hydro Pump is insane, and hits anything extremely hard that doesn't resist it. This is the move that really attracted me to Rotom-W, as previously I lacked any water moves on my team. With Hydro Pump, I can now safely OHKO horrifying threats such as Landorus, Mamoswine, Heatran, and pretty much anything that doesn't resist it. Hidden Power Ice is used instead of his usual HP Fire so he can fit Thundurus-T's old role of surprising Dragons and OHKOing them. It also is a back up for Gliscor, as Hydro Pump can easily be stalled out while HP Ice cannot be as easily. It also has 100% accuracy, and is much more efficient in dealing with Landorus and Gliscor. Lastly is Thunderbolt. Thunderbolt is used when Volt Switch cannot get the job done to finish off bulkier water types such as Jellicent, Tentacruel, and Politoad, and Keldeo at full health. Trick isn't needed since Latios already has Trick, so two trickers seems a little redundant.

WHY IS IT ON THE TEAM?: While Thundurus-T was an amazing member to the team, he lacked the ability to switch into things safely, and had a weakness to Stealth Rock. Mamoswine is just too common, and with the possible return of Garchomp to OU, I need someone who can take out Mamoswine much better then praying not to be OHKOed by Ice Shard, and also maybe having to take out Garchomp as well. With two Spec holders on my team and a Scarfer, revenge killing is never difficult for me, and with the help of Breloom and Ferrothorn to cripple threats for me I wont have to worry about having to switch in and out all the time. Lastly, Rotom-W is bulkier than Thundurus-T, so now I not only can revenge kill, but also tank hits too. Honestly guys, I'm almost 100% sure Rotom-W is never leaving, you can count on that, as with him I honestly I only find myself losing once out of ten or so battles. Thanks Rotom-W!

Baraka (Ferrothorn) @ Rocky Helmet

Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spe)
-Thunder Wave
-Protect
-Leech Seed
-Power Whip/Gyro Ball

SUMMARY: I honestly don't know one individual who absolutely despises going against a Ferrothorn. I mean why wouldn't you? Ferrothorns are designed for three things, Tanking, laying out hazards, and being a crippling douche bag. Ferrothorn in my opinion, turned out so much more versatile then Forretress. Why? Well for one, he is an astounding wall against powerful rain boosted Water attacks. He's also great for crippling sweepers or threats that usually my other slower teammates such as Breloom and Thundurus-T can't out speed. He's also great for scouting, and can use Protect to lock many into moves if they are choiced, and can really upset Outraging dragons. It's also just good to see what the opponent is trying to throw at me, and can be used to allow me to switch into something to resist the move. My Ferrothorn is built around crippling sweepers, and horribly punishing U-Turners. With the combination of Iron Barbs, Rocky Helmet, and possibly the opponent holding a Life Orb, Ferrothorn can take away almost 50% of someones HP without even touching them. Since he doesn't have Leftovers, Leech Seed is used to stall and regain health, and works best on HP behemoths like Blissey, Chansey, and Gastrodon.

MOVESET: Although it stinks that Ferrothorn can't really escape the clutches of Magnezone, it really doesn't matter, because even with Volt Turn Forretress was still OHKO by Magnezone's HP Fire. Usually I can take out the Zone with Heatran before he ever has to deal with him. Ferrothorn's move set seems pretty straight forward, but it is very important and is set up to benefit my team to the best of it's abilities. Since I have a faster Stealth Rocker, it allows me to use a different move on Ferrothorn. Since Ferrothorn can play so many defensive roles, choosing the right move set is very difficult. However, I feel that this move set is by far the best out of his others that I've tested. Thunder Wave is probably his most important move, because it cripples sweepers and walls, as well as slowing down threats so they can be taken down by Thundurus-T, Breloom and Hetran, who are usually out sped. Protect is another move that really makes Ferrothorn such a danger, as Protect can be used to scout out the opponents move sets while stalling out the opponent if Leech Seed or Toxic has been used. Speaking of Leech Seed, it really does wonders against opposing walls like Blissey and Chansey. Since Ferrothorn's item is Rocky Helmet, Leech Seed takes the place of Leftovers, and in the end is actually a better choice as it can not only heal more, but also damage the opponent as well. His last move is Power Whip. Power Whip is used over Gyro Ball due to Gyro Ball's poor synergy with Thunder Wave since the faster the opponent is the harder it hits. Power Whip unlike Gyro Ball, hits Water types very hard, and helps me check Starmie much better since Breloom was out sped by it. It's also good for helping out Breloom take care of Gastrodon and Swampert who can be quite a nuisance without Breloom around to help.

WHY IS IT ON MY TEAM?: Ferrothorn is an all around better team member than Forretress. He provides so much more to the team, and it allows my slower team members to be able to step up to the plate against usually faster threats like Tornadus-T and Scizor. He also is a great wall, and can horribly punish U-Turners as well as powerful physical attackers. With Ferrothorn in my team many threats that usually were difficult to check are now vulnerable to his devastating stalling/crippling abilities.

Bad Trip (Breloom) @ Life Orb

Trait: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpA)
-Mach Punch
-Low Sweep/Swords Dance
-Bullet Seed
-Spore

SUMMARY: Breloom was already an amazing powerhouse, but the Dream World decided to spoil it more by giving it the jaw dropping Technician ability. With Technician, Breloom becomes the ultimate Mach Punch revenge killer, and when combined with Bullet Seed and the ability to cripple threats with Spore, it can destroy anything in its path. Although his speed is mediocre, he makes up for it in sheer power. My Techniloom Bad Trip is designed to not only literally punch holes in other teams, but also to bait switches so he can Spore them to sleep. He is great for crippling entry hazard Pokemon and walls so they can be slowly taken down. Breloom is definitely one of the three elites on my team, as his sheer power and annoying Spore move can win me many matches.

MOVESET: My Breloom's move set used to be the more typical Spore/Swords Dance sweeper that worked great as a revenge killer and early game sweeper. Now, I've decided to make Breloom's revenge killing ability even better by giving it Low Sweep instead of Swords Dance. By predicting switches, Breloom is now able to Low Sweep anything that comes into it that is used to counter it, and cripple it with Spore. This is an amazing strategy that although sacrifices power, it keeps big threats like Mamoswine and Starmie from out speeding it. Mamoswine especially, because after one Low Sweep Breloom can now out speed it with Mach Punch before it can get off an Ice Shard. Same goes with Starmie, which can then be taken care of with Bullet Seed. Mach Punch is used to revenge kill anything that is weak against it or already taken damage, and it's an amazing STAB move when combined with Life Orb and Technician can do much more damage than you think. Since he's running an Adamant nature, he can finally get over the "hump" so to speak, and can now more successfully revenge kill, with the cost of a little speed. There isn't much of a need to explain Low Sweep again, but it should be noted that Low Sweep is also a much more powerful reliable Fighting move that can OHKO Tyranitar, Chansey, and Blissey. The fact that it lowers the speed of anything it hits can really do a number on speedy threats such as Latios and Tornadus-T, and even though Breloom can't really do anything to them physically, he can at least cripple them with Spore or make it easier for Thundurus-T to come in and finish the job. Bullet Seed is probably one of the best moves in the game when combined with Technician, because it pretty much always OHKOs anything that's weak to it, and does a number on anything else. Bullet Seed helps me handle Starmie, Swampert, and Gastrodon the best, but like I said, anything that's weak to it is probably going to go down as well. Spore is an amazing tactical move when combined with Low Sweep, and can be used to cripple a ton of threats that are trying to setup, or on walls such as Ferrothorn, Forretress, and Chansey.

WHY IS IT ON MY TEAM?: Breloom with Technician and the Low Sweep/Spore combo can become an extremely unpredictable threat. He is an amazing addition to my team. It's no wonder why he is one of my Elites, due to the fact that he can break through anything that is considered a wall or staller. Breloom is definitely my main Physical attacker, and is the greatest in taking down SpD walls such as Chansey and Blissey. Bad Trip is something everyone needs to watch out for.

Raptor (Latios) @ Choice Specs

EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
-Draco Meteor
-Psyshock/Surf
-Hidden Power Fire
-Trick

SUMMARY: Before Latios, Salamence was used on my team as a very fast but powerful wall breaker, who could deal massive damage to anything that didn't resist it with Outrage. However, he had a weakness to Stealth Rock and Stone Edge which are very common in OU, and it's coverage was almost pointless other than Outrage due to my team having the same coverage. Then came along Latios. Not only does Latios do a better job at breaking through walls like no other, he also provides a resistance against Ground and takes Rock attacks much better. He's also much more reliable in revenge killing due to his powerful Draco Meteor which doesn't trap him in. When running Choice Specs and a Timid nature, Latios is able to out speed every Dragon type that isn't Scarfed. This allows him to revenge kill the deadly MoxieMence as long as it's not scarfed, and can speed tie with Latias and Latios. He can also provide nasty Psychic support, protection against Ferrothorn and Forretress, and is a great answer to take down Physical Walls such as Gliscor and Snorlax. With Latios' Levitate ability, he can not only switch in on Ground moves, but he is also safe from Spikes and Toxic Spikes. With Latios on my team, I feel much safer when switching into dangerous Fighting types such as Breloom and Electric types such as Jolteon.

MOVESET: Latios' or Raptor's moveset is designed as a very powerful revenge killing Special Dragon. With so much coverage and nice speed, Latios can safely switch into a lot of things and successfully revenge kill anything with very powerful moves. Draco Meteor being his insanely powerful STAB move, he can pretty much OHKO anything except Specially Defensive walls or Steel types. With an astonishing 140 base power, maxed out SpA, Specs, and being STAB, it's pretty much the best move on my team to take out anything that is causing a problem. The only downfall is the massive SpA drop, but Latios can usually safely switch out of something to recover it back. Surf provides decent coverage against Fire, Ground, and Rock types, however Psyshock was chosen over it so Latios has another deadly STAB attack in it's arsenal, and can take out Conkeldurr or Breloom very easily. Hidden Power Fire is very useful when Ferrothorn or Forretress comes in, as it can almost always OHKO them. It's also useful for taking care of Chlorophyll Grass types such as Venusuar and Victreebell. Trick is a very useful move to have, as it allows Latios to cripple walls and sweepers such as Cloyster or Volcarona. Without the Choice Specs, Latios is able to provide amazing coverage and has the freedom to use any of his moves, but with a price of power.

WHY IS IT ON MY TEAM?: Latios is great for taking care of anything that just doesn't want to die. Starmie, who usually causes problems to my team, can be OHKO by a Draco Meteor no problem. Mamoswine, who has no SpD what so ever, is also OHKO by Draco Meteor and Hidden Power Fire if the Sun is up. Ultimately, Latios is the best Dragon type that fits on my team, as it provides a lot of coverage and is not out sped too often by anything dangerous. Never underestimate Latios, as his power is extreme.

Bane (Terrakion) @ Choice Scarf

Trait: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SpA)
-Close Combat
-Stone Edge
-X-Scissor
-Rock Slide/Earthquake

SUMMARY:: This, is the real Bane. Screw the Bane in the Batman movie The Dark Knight Rises, THIS Bane makes that Bane piss his pants. There is nothing about this Pokemon that is funny, and if you find yourself laughing at it, you'll find that your team is no longer alive. I almost feel like it's a sin for using this Pokemon, as it can demolish almost anything. This Pokemon defines coverage, and if you looked him up in the dictionary it would say, "One who covers anything." With that aside, Terrakion protects every single one of my team members in some way, and with the amazing Rock/Fighting typing he can demolish anything in its path. To make matters worse, I have given him a Choice Scarf. With that kind of power, nothing can escape his wrath. You remember that Volcarona weakness? Forget about it. Terrakion takes that moth and squishes it until it's nothing but mush. Terrakion means business, and your about to see why. Do I even need to say that he is one of my Elites? There's a new king in town Jolteon, and Terrakion will forever be known on my team as a god.

MOVESET: 12. That's how much coverage my Terrakion's moveset can handle. With that kind of power in the hands of one Pokemon, sometimes other members of the team are unneeded. Terrakion defines the phrase, STAB, and he can define it even more when a Choice Scarf is given to him. With a Choice Scarf, Terrakion is able to out speed anything and everything that's not scarfed, and if it is, it must have above 108 base speed. Terrakion can revenge kill pretty much anything that he can handle, which is a lot, and is possibly the greatest revenge killer in the game. Close Combat is an insane STAB move that can OHKO any Ice types in the OU metagame, and is the ultimate counter to Blissey and Chansey. It's also good for countering Scizor. Stone Edge is another STAB move that can also handle any Ice type, as well as Volcarona, Victini, Dragonite, Salamence, Thundurs-T, Tornadus and Tornadus-T, I mean the list can go on for days. X-Scissor breaks through Umbreon if it happens to find it's way into OU, and it can also take care of Hydreigon on top of Close Combat. It's also great for taking care of Reuniculus, Latios/Latias, and Starmie, since usually Terrakion can survive at least one Hydro Pump. Rock Slide is used as a more reliable Rock move to finish off weakened Pokemon, and still managing to OHKO bulky Volcarona. Although Earthquake is a better move to have when speaking in the damage department, Stone Edge is very unreliable at times, and sometimes I need Rock Slide to assure me the victory when facing Flying and Fire types.

WHY IS IT ON MY TEAM?: "One does not simply counter Terrakion." There's honestly nothing else I can say that should convince you any more as to why he's on my team. I am very happy that someone recommended me this big guy, because when combined with Latios, they can be one of the greatest revenge killing duos in OU. What ever Terrakion can't handle, Latios can and vice versa. The fact that Deoxys-D gave it's crown to Terrakion really helped my team for the better, and Deoxys-D will still surely be missed.

Furnace (Heatran) @ Air Balloon

Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 120 HP / 30 SpA / 232 SpD / 126 Spe
Modest Nature (+SpA, -Atk)
-Stealth Rocks
-Fire Blast
-Earth Power
-Roar

SUMMARY: This Heatran is confused. I mean look at its EV spread! It looks like this Heatran is trying to be bulky, but at the same time wants to deal back some solid hits. Bingo. At first, I was confused as to what Heatran to use. There are so many different kinds of Heatrans out there, but I wanted one that could still cover types the Volcarona can, but at the same time be more of a team player then just sitting there spamming Quiver Dances. Yeah, I'm callin you out Volcarona. This Heatran can be called none other than a Specially Defensively Offensive Bulky Heatran. Phew. Try saying that three times fast. You may be wondering, "No no no Gary, this will never work. You can't pull off a bulky Heatran set combined with offen- WHOA WAIT WHAT??! WHY IS THIS THING HOLDING A FUCKING AIR BALLOON???? AIR BALLOON ON A BULKY HEATRAN???? FAKE AND GAY! If you don't think that this set is possible, than you are soooo in for a surprise. Nothing is more confusing on my team then going up against this thing. With the Air Balloon up, many might think it's an offensive Heatran, so they will most likely switch into something to wall it. First, he shoots up a Stealth Rock. Nothing to surprising there. Might as well start stalling it out with my Ferrothorn's Prote- Wait did he just Roar me? Oh well then it's Specially Defensive. Time to break out the Tentacruel and set up some Toxic Spikes! WAIT WTF EARTH POWER?? OHKO??? WTF??? Does this now answer your question? A mix between offence and defense can really screw up a lot of predictions other may have, and with two attacking moves to take care of other Defensive Heatran and Ferrothorn/Forretress, this thing is a monster. Air Balloon is used over Leftovers to keep him safe from Mamoswine, especially ones that are locked into Stone Edge, Ice Shard, or EQ. With the Air Balloon up, Heatran has to only worry about fighting types, but with the help of Latios, they are of little danger.

MOVESET: This move set has caused so much confusion to so many teams, that it's quite comical. A Heatran with two support moves and two offensive moves with EVs invested into both categories with an Air Balloon, this thing can really mess up a team. His first move is of course Stealth Rocks, which takes the place of Ferrothorn not having it. Fire Blast is it's main STAB fire move which can surprisingly do a ton of damage to many unresistant Pokemon, and is the best move for dealing with Rapid Spinners such as Forretress, and hazard walls such as Ferrothorn. It can also be used to OHKO the dangerous Scizor who may try to set up a Swords Dance, Magnezone who traps it in, and when facing a sun team, it just wrecks shop with the sun up. Earth Power is a move that people really don't expect on my Heatran if they think it's specially defensive. Earth Power checks other defensive Heatran, and catches offensive Heatran off guard on the switch. It can also be used to surprise unsuspecting Tentacruel who may attempt to lay down some Toxic Spikes. His last move that has saved my ass so many times is Roar. Volcarona beware with your Quiver Dances, Salamence and Dragonite stop dancing right now, and Cloyster stop smashing your shell up! Any attempt at sweeping is foiled instantly with this move, and it has frustrated many into rage quitting. Roar isn't only useful for foiling sweeps, it's also good to rack up residual Stealth Rock damage that Heatran has also been so kind to lay out. This strategy just completely ruins Sun teams. Since pretty much everything will get a nasty 25% HP loss, it's pretty much self explanatory from there. Even Mamoswine doesn't like Stealth Rocks, who of which I usually can't stand going up against.

WHY IS IT ON MY TEAM?: Furnace will trap you in his fiery belly for eternity, with no real efficient way of escaping. This Heatran plays an immense amount of roles on my team, and with the addition of Heatran, my team's synergy is off the charts. Being able to attack aggressively while laying out Stealth Rocks and foiling sweepers and fire types, this Heatran is just by far one of the best changes I have made to this team. It's amazing how much my team has changed since I started this RMT, and it's all been for the better. Thank Heatran for making it one step closer to absolute success.

Notable Threats

Mamoswine: Much less of a threat now thanks to Rotom-W. However, Choice Banded Stone Edges still hurt pretty bad, and Latios and Breloom still need to be careful around his Ice Shards.

IMPORTABLE

Code:
Hydro Power (Rotom-Wash) @ Choice Specs
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunderbolt

Baraka (Ferrothorn) (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SDef
Relaxed Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Protect
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip

Bad Trip (Breloom) (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Technician
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Mach Punch
- Low Sweep
- Bullet Seed
- Spore

Raptor (Latios) (M) @ Choice Specs
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Trick

Bane (Terrakion) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- X-Scissor
- Rock Slide

Furnace (Heatran) (M) @ Air Balloon
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 120 HP / 30 SAtk / 232 SDef / 126 Spd
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Roar

CLOSING STATEMENTS
I would like to thank you guys for sticking around and looking at my team. I hope you guys like it, and if you do or don't, make sure to leave a rating and tell me what I should change about this team or not. Also if you enjoyed this RMT, a
Luvdisc
would be greatly appreciated due to the amount of time and effort put into this. Thanks again!

Last edited:

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hi,

You've got a really nice team here! You've got a great mix of balance that allows you to have a solid answer to both offensive and defensive pokemon, with two great set up sweepers and a great revenge killer. There is not one specific pokemon I can see right away that wpuld give you too many problems; so I'll just patch up some minor details for you.

Having both Jolteon and Starmie on the same team is a bit redundant in my opinion; the only thing Starmie does that Jolteon doesn't is spin, recover, and hit with STAB Water snd Pychic. In fact, Jolteon is both faster and more powerful, so it seems as if in many situations using Jolteon as a revenger is preferred. With Jolteon taking its position, the only real thing Starmie does is spin, and we can find a much better spinner, can't we?

Donphan @ Leftovers
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
~Stealth Rock
~Rapid Spin / Ice Shard
~Stone Edge
~Earthquake

I recommend you switch Starmie with Offensive Spinner Donphan. This pokemon is way more bulky than Starmie, with a defense stat almost as high as Gliscor's and Attack just as high. Not only can this thing spin, but it can also come in on a dancing Volcorona, take a hit and live with Sturdy, and OHKO back with Stone Edge. It also has EQ to hit pesky little Jirachi who walls Salamence all day, and Ice Shard for Tornadus who gives Breloomm problems. You can use Stealth Rock over Ice Shard and give Deoxys D Spikes instead of SR, but then you lose very valuable priority.

That's all I have for now. Nice job on the team, and good luck!

Gary

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Thank you Electrolyte for the rating! I have taken your Donphan suggestion into consideration, and tried a couple OU matches on the battle simulator here on Smogon. Here's some pros and cons I have found:

Pros: With Donphan around, I am able to take hits much better, and have a better contender to take out Fire types other than just Salamence and Volcarona. He's also very nice in taking out anything that doesn't resist with a powerful STAB EQ, and an Ice Shard which seems to catch a lot of players off guard. Donphan is an all around better choice than Starmie in taking out my past threats such as Volcarona, and can take many hits before going down, and being able to Rapid Spin several times.

Cons: One thing that is a little more challenging to deal with now are Rain Teams. With Donphan replacing Starmie, Sun Teams are very easy to take out, however Rain teams now have full advantage over Donphan, and I cannot fight back with very powerful STAB Hydro Pumps anymore. Also, I now have no efficient way of taking out Conkeldurr. If a Conkledurr manages to get up a Bulk up, my team really has nothing to fight back against it, however with the combined efforts of Breloom, Jolteon, and Salamence I may be able to take it down.

After saying all that however, the goods out weigh the bad, and Donphan is definitely an amazing Pokemon on my team. Being able to tank but deal back very nice damage is awesome. Thanks for the rate Electrolyte, you have definitely helped my team greatly against one of it's biggest threats.

Keep up with the rating guys. This is really helping me out. And I'm still changing Starmie around for Donphan so rate the team as if Donphan is is listed up there instead of Starmie. It should be fixed momentarily.

Gary

By the way, I've been thinking of swapping Salamence for a Scarfed Latios to provide Dragon and Psychic support even faster than Salamence did. How does this idea sound to you guys?

Great team, the only pokemon I see being a problem is mamoswine, it gets a SE move against five of your pokes, ice shard hits half yourteam hard and EQ and stone edge hit jolteon and volc, you'll just have to predict right when he comes in seeing as how he gets a free switch on any jolteons STAB.

No Steel type, and no decent Fire or Water resist. DDNite with Extremespeed will 6-0 you after SR damage on your Mence; Donphan is a reasonable check but loses if MultiScale is intact. Things like Kingdra, Hydreigon and Latios will all do serious damage to something every time they come in; Deoxys can check them all once, but after that they'll get at least one kill every time. Heatran isn't so much of an issue, but still - the only mon you have which doesn't flat out lose switching into Fire Blast is Salamence, who has to lock itself into EQ to defeat Tran, and is also OHKO'd by common coverage moves. Luckily it can't really switch in except against Volcarona or Choice-locked Mence. Both your Water resistances are flimsy and weak to Ice; against most, such as Starmie, you'll have to sacrifice something then revenge with Jolteon or Mence. Finally, Mamoswine really goes to town on your team, completely destroying your first 4 members, while Deoxys-D can't do anything back to it and Volcarona can't switch in at all.

I think the best option to cover these threats is to run some form of DD Kingdra over your Salamence. MoxieMence is a great pokemon but I don't think it fits on this team, where it just compounds weaknesses. Kingdra gives you an effective stop to Rain, absorbs Fire and Water attacks, and makes an okay Mamoswine check. It also goes nicely with Spikes to wear down its Grounded counters. Other options for this spot would be things like SubRoost Kyurem, but then you need to cover the Fire weakness with other changes.

Now, you still need a Steel type. There are options to do with merging Deoxys-D and Donphan into Forretress then adding another Keldeo/Terrakion counter, but I think a simpler and more effective way to go would be to use Choice Scarf Magneton over Jolteon. Magneton > Magnezone in this meta because it can outspeed Tornadus-T, which is crucial. Anyway, this gives you a half decent check to Draco Meteor's and DDancing Dragons, but more importantly it traps Steel types who can beat your Kingdra and Breloom (most obviously, Skarmory). It also keeps Volt Switch, which you can use to rack up Spikes damage and keep momentum against the things like Ferrothorn and Amoonguss which also stop Kingdra. One more thing, run Flash Cannon so you don't completely lose to Mamoswine and Tyranitar.

Tl;dr version: DD Kingdra > Salamence, Scarf Magneton > Jolteon. Hope those help, good luck with the team :)

Trinitrotoluene

young ☆nd foolish
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well, here we are again. It's always been such a pleasure. #portal2reference

Eh. With that aside, let's get down to the actual rate.

I like this team, but I think there are some ways in which it can be improved. First off, with the revamps you've made, you don't have a solid answer to banded Dragons such as Haxorus and Dragonite. To alleviate that problem, I'd recommend trying out a Hidden Power Ice Forretress over your Donphan. This gives you a more durable answer to Pokemon such as Cloyster and dragons. While you may not agree with this change, saying that it'll make your team more vulnerable to Pokemon like Volcarona and Cloyster, that's where your extra team slot comes into play. While you may have a solid means of covering Volcarona with Salamence, I'd recommend trying out a Scarfed Terrakion over Deoxys-D. This gives your team a very reliable Volcarona, Mamoswine, and Salamence killer, and late-game cleaner, if your Salamence so happens to die early on. I'd also recommend using an EV spread of 120 HP / 136 SpA / 252 Spe on your Volcarona. This spread gives your Volcarona an odd amount of HP, which is useful if you have to switch your Volcarona in when hazards are down (although this is a very unlikely eventuality). I don't have much else to say.

Sets:

Forretress (F) @ Leftovers | Sturdy
Relaxed Nature | 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 SpA | 30 Spe
Stealth Rock | Rapid Spin | Volt Switch | Hidden Power Ice

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf | Justified
Jolly Nature | 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Close Combat | Stone Edge | X-Scissor | Earthquake

Nitpicks:

126 HP / 126 SpA / 252 Spe ----> 120 HP / 136 SpA / 252 Spe

It was fun rating this team. Good luck with it!

By the way, I'd recommend testing your Scarfed Latios idea before testing my suggestions out.

Gary

Thanks guys a ton for the ratings! It really helps me discover my weaknesses and strengths.

@Nate Dog: Yes Mamoswine is quite and annoyance, however if I can catch Mamoswine on the switch, Breloom can easily OHKO it with a Bullet Seed. Also a single Mach Punch almost OHKO it, so if Mamoswine is already weakened by Rocks or another one of my team members it's sure to go down quite easily.

@bubbly Although it is quite true that I'm missing a Steel type, I honestly like it because it keeps Magnezone a smaller threat to my team. I like you idea of changing Salamence to a DD Kingdra, but after trying out a Scarfed Latios that provides both Psychic, Dragon, and Surf support very quickly. Also, changing Jolteon for Magnezone would completely mess up a lot of things about my team. Jolteon is there mainly for taking out Gliscor, Salamence, and any Water/Flying types. He can also do it just as fast as Scarfed Magnezone but without the help from a Choice item.

@Trinitrotoluene Thanks for rating my team again dude! You have very good ideas, and I did consider changing Donphan for a Forretress so I can get the almighty Scarfed Terrakion on my team. However, getting rid of Deoxys gives up very valuable Taunt support, which in OU can be very helpful to hinder Spikes and Stealth Rock setters. It also stops Trick Room teams as well. Deoxys tanks hits like no other, and with him gone I wont be able to live as long due to Forretress not having a Recover move. However that aside, I have changed Volcarona's EV spread around, and I have replaced Salamence with Latios. He provides amazing support against Dragons, and has access to Trick so he can cripple walls if he must. Thanks for the rate dude!

Thanks all! Keep it up.

Hello Gary2346! Pretty solid team you got here :)

Anyways, I agree with the others in that you need a solid steel type to take hits from annoying Dragon types. I agree with Trinitrotoluene, in that you should replace Donphan with Forretress.

Forretress @ Leftovers
Sturdy
252 HP / 220 Def / 36 Sp. Atk
Relaxed
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Hidden Power Ice
- Volt Switch

Rapid Spin of course is to help preserve your Volcarona's life, ensuring those annoying rocks stay away. HP Ice is great, you can now counter Dragons locked in Outrage, or destroy Landorus and Gliscor who like to switch in. Volt Switch is great for keeping momentum and allowing you to escape 'mons trying to counter or trap Forretress, like Magnezone.

Also, I'm glad you're switching Salamence for Scarf Latios, as he is a much better scarfer in general. Latios can revenge kill ALL other dragons that have a Dragon Dance up, allowing you to switch in and take them out if they're locked in Outrage. His Draco Meteors are so powerful they just mow down opposing Pokemon, damaging even Pokemon that try and counter Latios. The set I recommend is:

Latios @ Choice Scarf
Levitate
4 HP / 252 Sp. Atk / 252 Spd
Timid
-Draco Meteor
-HP Fire
-Surf
-Trick

Draco Meteor obliterates almost anything that isn't resistant and bulky. He is a great revenge killer and a great check to other dragons with a speed boost as he is faster than all of them, (except for Latias and other Latios). HP Fire is great for taking out Scizor, Forretress, or Ferrothorn hoping to take Latios' hits. You'll have to predict carefully at first but you should be fine. Surf offers great coverage and great for hitting incoming TTars. Trick is of course for crippling any bulky wall that tries to stop Latios.

Latios will make an excellent addition to your team, however, Tyranitar still gives this team trouble. With him capable of taking on Latios, Deoxys, and Jolteon, and with Breloom being your only check, you definitely need a more reliable counter. I again agree with Trinitrotoluene and recommend you switch Deoxys out for Terrakion, as a dedicated wall isn't really needed for your team. With Forretress already setting up Stealth Rock, Deoxys only main role can only be Taunt, and I feel that it isn't useful enough to justify a spot. As you already have a scarfed Latios, I don't think having a scarf Terrakion is totally necessary, so perhaps try Choice Band? It's your choice really.

Terrakion @ Choice Band/Scarf
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- X-Scissor
- Quick Attack/Rock Slide

Gary

@Avatar Korra Thanks a lot for rating my team! I've seen you rate many other teams in the past, and I'm glad that a good rater like you and Trinitrotoluene to help my team be the best.

Forretress: Although Donphan has high attack and bulk coupled with Rapid Spin, his Mono Ground Type sucks due to the high amount of Ice, Grass, and Water types that exist in OU. With Forretress, my only big weakness is Fire, which can be walled by Terrakion or Latios. Forretress access to HP Ice replaces Donphan's Ice Shard, Volt Switch allows me to get out of Magnezone, and of course being able to Rapid Spin and set up Rocks at the same time is very nice.

Terrakion: After taking what you guys said about me not needing a main wall into consideration, I tried a Banded Terrakion on my team. With Terrakion, I am able to rid myself of my Volcarona weakness completely, and I am also able to help Breloom check Mamoswine which was another one of my teams weaknesses. Other than that, he provides great STAB Fighting and Rock support which my team greatly needs, and he even has nice bulk as well.

Thanks for the rate Avatar Korra! I will make the changes to my RMT as soon as I can so you can see the improved rate.

Keep it up guys!

Another question to you guys. Although Jolteon is one of my favorite team members, he can be quite mediocre when a team is full of a bunch of Rock and Ground Pokes. What do you guys think of a Life Orbed Thundurus-T? His speed isn't the best, but he has better SpA, access to Focus Blast and still can use HP Ice successfully, still has Volt Absorb, and his defenses/HP are slightly higher. What do you guys think? Would he benefit my team more? Than again, I would have a Starmie weakness...

Gary

Hey guys! This team is back up for rating! Please keep up the awesome recommendations you guys have.

Gary

Bump. Anyone else? If this doesn't need to be rated anymore than please comment so I don't have to keep bumping it.

I really like your team, though i have made some variations. I tried your suggestion of thundurus-t instead of jolteon, and it's working well. I went a step further and put in a smashpass gorebyss with surf and ice beam. While it cant set up every match, if you can trick the right poke or switch in on a spore'd poke, a smashpass to thundurus or terra (with all the ghosts taken out) will do absolute wonders. I'm not saying change your RMT, but it definitely is fun!

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hi,

I'm back again, hope you don't mind.

This team looks really solid- you've got great answers to common Rain, Sun, and Sand sweepers, and an almost perfect offensive core. Nice job.

There are only a few set problems I see here; I think Specs Latios and Scarf Terrakion are probably better than what you have here; with Specs Latios hits even harder than Terrakion, and absolutely demolishes everything in it's path better than Terrakion. Oh, Scarf Terrakion switching in to thwart your Trick? Lol nope, Trick it your Specs and OHKO it with Psyshock. Latios has great coverage too, and everything that counters it hates specs. Terrakion, on the other hand, I find more useful with a Scarf. That way, you can come into Rain Volcorona as it sets up and still outspeed before it OHKO's with Hurricane. It can also revenge dragons, as most common dragons are weak to Rock/Bug (Dnite, Lati@s, Salamence)

on Volcorona, I'd also suggest Fiery Dance over Fire Blast and Hidden Power Ground over Hidden Power Rock. Fiery Dance is a much safer STAB; suffering only 30 BP less after STAB with 15% greater accuracy and the chance to boost SpA. Hidden Power Ground is better than Rock because it hits Heatran, while still hitting Ninetales and other Fire types hard. The only pokemon you miss out on are Mantine and Charizard, both of which are very uncommon.

Once again, awesome team! Good luck!

Gary

@Electrolyte: Hey! You can come back as much as you want! You've definitely already kickstarted my team in the right direction before, so why not again?

Your idea with changing from Scarf to Specs on Latios was actually something I was thinking on changing. I have been slightly frustrated at times when I'm unable to OHKO things that can easily revenge kill Latios if I can't take care of it immediately. I also switched Surf with Psyshock, as Latios needs it much more often then Surf, and is also a very powerful STAB move that OHKO Breloom and Conkledurr. Surf really only helps me cover Heatran, but I have many other answers to Heatran so Surf is unneeded. Even without a Scarf, Latios can out speed the majority of the OU tier that isn't Scarfed.

Changing my Scarfed Terrakion from a Banded one is also something that I considered. Terrakion already has raw power, and when running a Jolly nature it can out speed Scarfed Mamoswine, Salamence, and Latios/Latios if running a Modest nature. Being able to revenge kill pretty much anything in the OU tier is very impressive, and I'm very happy to find that the switch has won me more battles. If it's down to the wire and Terrakion is still available, I almost always win.

Now your recommendations on Volcarona I'm sorry, but I must pass. Heatran is not a problem to my team with Breloom, Terrakion, and even Thundurus-T having Focus Blast. Hidden Power Rock's main advantage over Ground is its ability to hit Salamence, Dragonite, and all the Therians/Incarnate forms. This makes Volcarona extremely terrifying when a few Quiver Dances are up, and as long as the Heatran is taken care of, Volcarona can sweep much more efficiently. Same goes with Fiery Dance. I hardly ever miss with Fire Blast, and the raw power of Fire Blast allows me to not have to set up as many Quiver Dances in order to sweep. Thanks though!

Really big thanks to you guys. Also, Jolteon is going to be replaced with a Thundurus-T.

Gary

It's now ready to be rated again! Please feel free to leave as much criticism as you'd like.

Thundurus-T was a big step up from Jolteon, so I need your guys input on him. Thanks guys, and happy rating!

Gary

Bump. One last rate please? I need to have someone rate my team with the addition of Thundurus-T.

Hey man, I got your PM. You have a pretty solid team here. One thing I see on your Thundurus-T that can be fixed to make it even more deadly is removing Dark Pulse / Grass Knot and replacing it with Nasty Plot. Nasty Plot Thundurus is a very good sweeper. Although it lacks the speed to be able to KO some Pokemon, the power of Thundurus-T after one Nasty Plot is just unbelievable. At +2 it is able to 2HKO 252 HP / 252 Defense Chansey with Focus Blast and 252 HP / 252 Special Defense Gastrodon WITHOUT Stealth Rock. Thundurus-T can sweep unprepared teams with the sheer power of the Nasty Plot set. Thundurus-T may seem too slow to be running a Nasty Plot set at first, but you have 4 other offensive Pokemon that are able to grab KO's well. If you are able to eliminate anything that outspeeds Thundurus-T, it easily cleans up late game with it's fantastic coverage. Thundurus-T also helps you ideally in ripping through stall teams which is a bonus. Another suggestion I have is using Secret Sword / Rock Slide over Earthquake on Terrakion. Earthquake is redundant as Close Combat basically hits the same stuff -- except harder. The choice of Secret Sword and Rock Slide is really just up to you. Secret Sword is a weaker fighting-type move, but it doesn't lower your stats, unlike Close Combat. Rock Slide is less powerful, but more accurate, than Stone Edge with an added flinch rate as well. Hope I helped and good luck.

Gary

Hey man, I got your PM. You have a pretty solid team here. One thing I see on your Thundurus-T that can be fixed to make it even more deadly is removing Dark Pulse / Grass Knot and replacing it with Nasty Plot. Nasty Plot Thundurus is a very sweeper. Although it lacks the speed to be able to KO some Pokemon, the power of Thundurus-T after one Nasty Plot is just unbelievable. At +2 it is able to 2HKO 252 HP / 252 Defense Chansey with Focus Blast and 252 HP / 252 Special Defense Gastrodon WITHOUT Stealth Rock. Thundurus-T can sweep unprepared teams with the sheer power of the Nasty Plot set. Thundurus-T may seem too slow to be running a Nasty Plot set at first, but you have 4 other offensive Pokemon that are able to grab KO's well. If you are able to eliminate anything that outspeeds Thundurus-T, it easily cleans up late game with it's fantastic coverage. Thundurus-T also helps you ideally in ripping through stall teams which is a bonus. Another suggestion I have is using Secret Sword / Rock Slide over Earthquake on Terrakion. Earthquake is redundant as Close Combat basically hits the same stuff -- except harder. The choice of Secret Sword and Rock Slide is really just up to you. Secret Sword is a weaker fighting-type move, but it doesn't lower your stats, unlike Close Combat. Rock Slide is less powerful, but more accurate, rock-type move with an added flinch rate as well. Hope I helped and good luck.
Your Nasty Plot idea was genius! I basically always KO 1-2 Pokemon in one sitting with Tornadus-T on rain teams especially without having to even switch! Combine that with Expert Belt and awesome coverage, this thing can absolutely mow anything in its path down. Rain teams better not switch in a Politoad, because that gives me the perfect opportunity to set up a Nasty Plot and KO anything that doesn't resist it next turn. If it's weak to it, then there's almost no chance of it surviving. I honestly cant tell you how many players have rage quit due to this thing just mowing down there walls and leads at the very beginning. Thank you so much!

Trinitrotoluene

young ☆nd foolish
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sorry this is so late Gary! This team is much more solid than when I last rated it, so good job there! Your team has a slight Starmie weakness, and I think I can help fix that. While you do have at least one check to it in the form of Scarf Terrakion, I'd recommend the use of Low Sweep over Swords Dance on Breloom. This lets you slow down Starmie on the switch, allowing you to kill it off with Bullet Seed or sleep it, forcing it out again. This also works against Espeon (but you can't sleep it due to Magic Bounce), Keldeo, Tornadus-T, Latias, and opposing Latios, who seem to be somewhat problematic, since they can come in on Breloom and do whatever they please. The Speed decrease forced by Low Sweep also helps Thundurus-T overcome some Pokemon that are faster than it. Low Sweep's power also helps when faced with a Chansey and / or Blissey. A summarized list of changes can be seen below.

Nitpick:

Swords Dance ----> Low Sweep

Nice team once again. Good luck with it, and before I forget...Luvdisc'd.

Gary

Sorry this is so late Gary! This team is much more solid than when I last rated it, so good job there! Your team has a slight Starmie weakness, and I think I can help fix that. While you do have at least one check to it in the form of Scarf Terrakion, I'd recommend the use of Low Sweep over Swords Dance on Breloom. This lets you slow down Starmie on the switch, allowing you to kill it off with Bullet Seed or sleep it, forcing it out again. This also works against Espeon (but you can't sleep it due to Magic Bounce), Keldeo, Tornadus-T, Latias, and opposing Latios, who seem to be somewhat problematic, since they can come in on Breloom and do whatever they please. The Speed decrease forced by Low Sweep also helps Thundurus-T overcome some Pokemon that are faster than it. Low Sweep's power also helps when faced with a Chansey and / or Blissey. A summarized list of changes can be seen below.

Nitpick:

Swords Dance ----> Low Sweep

Nice team once again. Good luck with it, and before I forget...Luvdisc'd.
Thanks a lot dude! I'll change the Low Sweep right away, and your right it has helped me KO slower/bulkier Pokes on top of catch many off guard on the switch. Thanks again!

I've got to say, a very solid team! However, I see a slight problem with Mamoswine; Choice Band Mamoswine, to be exact. It can do a large chunk to basically every member of your team (although it does to an ample amount of prediction to do so - don't want to be hitting that Fortress with Ice Shard). I do regret saying this, but I believe you should replace Thundurus-T with a Rotom-W.

Rotom-W @ Leftovers
Ev's: 112 HP | 252 SpA | 144 Spe
~ Volt Switch
~ Hydro Pump
~ Hidden Power [Fire]
~ Pain Split

This set supports your other special sweepers, as it lowers special walls with Pain Split, while letting you control opposing physical sweepers.

Good luck.

Gary

I've got to say, a very solid team! However, I see a slight problem with Mamoswine; Choice Band Mamoswine, to be exact. It can do a large chunk to basically every member of your team (although it does to an ample amount of prediction to do so - don't want to be hitting that Fortress with Ice Shard). I do regret saying this, but I believe you should replace Thundurus-T with a Rotom-W.

Rotom-W @ Leftovers
Ev's: 112 HP | 252 SpA | 144 Spe
~ Volt Switch
~ Hydro Pump
~ Hidden Power [Fire]
~ Pain Split

This set supports your other special sweepers, as it lowers special walls with Pain Split, while letting you control opposing physical sweepers.

Good luck.
Wow. This is going to be the hardest decision I'm ever going to have to make on this team. Thundurus-T provides much needed Electric Coverage, and with Volt Absorb he can sap up Electric attacks as well as being Flying typed so he doesn't sustain Earthquake damage. Rotom-W's Volt Switch is not a very reliable STAB move, and I will have a larger weakness to Rain and Sun teams if I get rid of him. Although I do have a Mamoswine weakness, that's pretty much it. I would hate to have to replace one of my most valuable team members to cover one Pokemon. Although I really see your point, Mamoswine is very hard to take out if the opponent out predicts me. Although I haven't updated it yet, Breloom's Swords Dance has been replaced with Low Sweep. If I'm able to predict the Mamoswine switch witch can be relatively easy at times, I can Low Sweep it to make it slower than Breloom, than Mach Punch it.

In my opinion, I honestly think a Scarfed Mamoswine is scarier than a Choiced. It can pretty much outspeed anything on my team except Terrakion, which is my only really efficient way of taking it out. Although I hate that reality, I will consider Rotom-W.

Gary

Well I tried out the Rotom-W set, and ran into no Mamoswine. I also only won 1/5 matches. I put Thundurus-T back on my team, ran into Mamoswine, out predicted it with Breloom, swepped an entire team with and Thundurus-T, and managed to win 6/7 battles, losing to an all Ice team with a Scarfed Kyurem and a Banded Mamoswine lol. Rotom-W seemed to provide a lot better coverage against Ground types, but other than Mamoswine it really isn't that useful to my team. Heck, it kind of weighs it down.

To make a long story short, Thundurus-T isn't going anywhere.:pimp:

Wow, I actually managed to find your team. First of all, I'm the guy that your Thundurus-T absolutely swepped my entire team. Second of all, I think you should change a couple of your team members up because they are cheap.

For example, Thundurus-T had coverage against my entire team, and nasty plot is very cheap on him. He doesn't need it, he's already powerful. Why don't you replace him with something less nooby like the Rotom-W perhaps?

Second, replace Terrakion. He also covers too much for his own good, and he makes your team to overpowered.

Why don't you find a team that requires more skill? Like a weather team perhaps. I'll stick with my weather team, which actually requires skill. Just sayin
Um...

Chances are that if you were swept by a Thundurus-T as easily as you said you were, you need a Thundurus-T check. Don't try to pin the blame on your team's problems on your opponent having some imagined unfair advantage. Thundurus-T and Terrakion aren't "nooby" or "cheap", they're some of the best options available, fulfill fantastic offensive niches, and require a decent amount of support to be used to their greatest potential. Intentionally inhibiting yourself to use poorer options doesn't prove you're any more skillful. In fact, it will usually prove the opposite.

With that out of the way, this a very nice looking OU team. Well done building it!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)