VGC Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer - Mark II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can any special type move Ohko her? From my experiences, she can escape a helping hand, dragon gem boosted Latios' Draco Meteor. She's a tank that can withstand a nuke.

To be honest, Cress is one of those mons you're better off leaving till last. Not many people realise the benefits of only KOing the thing that's threatening you.

Most support mons are absolutely helpless on their own, like a weedy ginger kid. Think of it in scummy bar fight terms. A true hero will beat up the weedy ginger kid last. This is because, if you punch the little guy first, you're risking your biscuit for a massive attack from one of the big hench blokes. Nobody likes to take a punch to the face (supereffective attack) from a large muscular angry man (hitmonchan if white hitmonlee if asian hitmontop if black). Neutralise the threats and that. Krav maga, my friends.

If you're thumping a ginger when there's three bouncers on your case, mate, there's something wrong with you.

^years of experience talking here dont mess with me im built like a truck (owaaaaay references). i once tackled cute user keely in a hotel corridor for reasons i cant remember and also i have been to locations of the popular bar franchise yates's a few times isn't that a bit rough

What are some decent pokemon that can OHKO a Cresselia? I've been trying out Volcarona but I feel like there is better.
Zog, Voodoo Pimp, and Cybertron have already responded to this question and have given excellent responses, but if you're feeling particularly silly, a Max Attack Adamant Dark Gem Crunch from Crawdaunt will OHKO all but the most physically bulky Cresselia.

Basically most powerful STAB Gem-boosted SE attacks from any powerful Dark, Ghost, or Bug-type can OHKO Cresselia. Dark Gem Tyranitar's Crunch is probably the easiest and most common way to OHKO Cresselia, though most Ttars prefer Chople Berry.

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Cress is one of those Pokemon you leave till last, unless you are confident that you have a way to KO it quick. There are very few ways to OHKO Cresselia, and trying to go for those can cause it to switch out, since you aren't hiding your killing intent. You could always try going for KOing it with a double targetted attack though. For example a Latios/Salamence Gem Dragon Pulse + Volcarona Gem Bug Buzz can KO Cresselia even if it has 252HP/252SpD Calm, hitting around potential Sitrus Berries.

Swords Dance Scizor <3
I havee tried Sword Dance Scizor! He's good but I'm not to big on setting up

Very few Pokémon can always OHKO Cresselia. Bug Gem Escavalier is a favorite of mine (Heracross hits about as hard), and a few boosted weather moves can beat her, but almost everything else will 2HKO at best if she has enough EVs in the side you're attacking.
I'm going to try out the Escavalier. Would you prefer Heracross over Escavalier though?

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
They have different benefits. Escavalier hits slightly harder and has that excellent Steel typing, but Heracross is faster, has burn immunity if you run Guts, and has a much better movepool.

It also really depends on what team you're running too. If you're running Trick Room or are potentially anticipating Trick Room Cress, then Escavalier. In any other situation, Heracross.

I have a team involving calm mind Latias that takes awhile to get steam rolling, and when I play on battle simulators my opponents tell me (upon losing, of course) "I would have won at VGC" because of the time limit. How exactly are the time restrictions set up, and how efficient is time stalling by waiting to pick moves?

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I have a team involving calm mind Latias that takes awhile to get steam rolling, and when I play on battle simulators my opponents tell me (upon losing, of course) "I would have won at VGC" because of the time limit. How exactly are the time restrictions set up, and how efficient is time stalling by waiting to pick moves?
VGC matches have a 15 minute time limit, and 1 minute to pick moves for both your Pokemon per turn. Time stalling is technically against the rules though, and if your opponent calls you out on it then you may be forced to forfeit the match.

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Battles are limited to 15 minutes, and move animations (which cannot be turned off and run more slowly than usual) count against the time limit. You have one minute to select your moves each round, and one minute to select Pokemon when they faint or switch using U-turn\Volt Switch\Baton Pass. If it takes you more than 10-12 rounds to "get steam rolling", consider scrapping that strategy.

Sorry, I forgot. Question: what are Pokemon to watch out for, and why is setting up so unpopular?
Setting up is unpopular because VGC is a very fast paced metagame. There's the timer to worry about, and your opponent can double target your Pokemon. However, many setup moves are viable and commonly used by good players, like quiver dance on Volcarona, swords dance scizor, stockpile on gastrodon, etc.

edit: Pokemon to watch out for uh, scizor, cresselia, garchomp, thundurus, hitmontop, rain teams (ludicolo, politoed, gastrodon) terrakion....

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
Sorry, I forgot. Question: what are Pokemon to watch out for, and why is setting up so unpopular?
The first part of your question is a really broad topic, I'm not sure what exactly you're looking for there. As for why setup is unpopular, the main problem is that it's really hard to set up and do anything significant without getting KO'd. You have a lot fewer options to set up safely, since switching is rare and double targeting can take you out if they think it's threatening enough, most strong attacks can only hit one of the opponent's Pokémon, and you can't attack and set up on the same turn so often you'll have just wasted the effort. That's why most effective setup options either affect more than just one Pokémon (Tailwind, weather, etc.) or are used by the partner so you can set up and attack at the same time (Helping Hand, Swagger+Lum, etc.).

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
How about entry hazards? Is it worth adding ferrothorn or forretress?
Unlike OU battles that can be drawn out for a good 30 or 50 turns with a defensive team, VGC matches only go for about 10 turns at most, due to being 4vs4 Doubles, and the 15 minute timer. This, coupled with the fact that switching isn't quite as common in VGC as it is in Single battles (though switching is still quite prevalent in high level play), severly reduces the effectiveness of entry hazards

my question is about mr. mime's utility in vgc : he learns fake out and trick room has great special Defense with fake out he may grant a free swords dance for my marowak ,set trick room and if possible ,dual screens
however he's frail with a very bad defense and hp : so basically my question his if he is viable with the before mentioned strategy.

Well, there's a few problems I see. You can't use all these strategies on the same turn, for one thing. You probably want to set up TR as soon as you come out, but you can't, because you want to use fake out. So, there's one problem I notice. Two, you can only have a minimum amount of time for him, and considering he's very frail, you're going to have to do quite a bit of predictions to compensate. If you predict wrong, your opponent will attack Mr. Mime and get rid of him, although I don't see this as the case, considering that Marowak would be a threat and your opponent would most likely aim for him. However, I do see a novel use for this. Since your opponent sees Marowak, they'll know you have trick room in store, so using Fake Out will surprise your opponent, but they will probably attack with both pokemon anyways, so one of your pokemon is likely to go down. If you can do the amount of prediction necessary and supply Mr. Mime with a focus sash, you may be able to get away safely, but the problem I see is that if you use Fake Out, the opponent is free to attack Mr. Mime with his other pokemon, and if he brings you down to Mr. Mime's sash, Mr. Mime won't live another turn to set up Trick room. However, I'd recommend you send out a tank instead of Marowak, since Marowak probably won't live the first turn to use Swords Dance, so it may be smart to send it out later, but that's all a matter of prediction. And there's also the problem of setting up screens, which is admittedly easier when in Trick room, but you still have to set up Trick Room.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
In Doubles, which Pokemon does Imposter Ditto copy?
It copies the Pokémon directly opposite it, one of the few cases where placement matters in doubles. Edit: damn it Biosci.

What are people's thoughts on Hitmontop in the current metagame? In the few dozen matches I've played with my latest team on RM, I literally have not seen a single Hitmontop. Has it fallen out of favor for some reason?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)