NU Teambuilding

Why? And i repeat the question, WHY? Doesn't anyone use Articuno?

Articuno @ Leftovers
-Pressure
-EVs 162 HP / 252 SpDef / 96 Spe
-Calm nature
-Roost
-Heal Bell
-Toxic
-Ice Beam

Role: Special wall
What it does: Walls the living $h!t outta special sweepers (excluding fire and electric types) and even stalls out other NU walls such as Amoongus and Alomomola.
Now I'm sure you're all wondering..."Yo GS WTF is up with the EVs in Speed?", well i'll tell ya sucka, it's to outrun those punks with a base speed of 55 such as Ampharos, If they've fully invested into Speed. Otherwise you could just run the standard 252HP / 252SpDef spread. But I don't take those chances, this beauty is bulky enough to sacrifice a lil HP for some Speed IMO.
Good teammates: Rapidash! What could be better than pairing two beautiful pokemon together? Plus the synergy is great. Rapidash has Flash Fire thus canceling out any fire type attacks heading Articuno's way and giving itself a boost. Lampent also fills this role well. As for the Electric weakness, Torterra and Zebstrika both fit that role easily. I prefer Zebstrika because of its Lightningrod ability, but I know alot of fellow NU players love them some Torterra.
What counters it: Heh, well just about any fire or electric type sweeper, but we try not to let Cuno die that easily, after all, thats what its teammates are for.

Because Stealth Rock strips away 50% of its health upon switching in. You should add a spinner to the teammates section. (Rapidash is weak to Stealth Rock too, by the way)

Totally agreeing with specX. Because of golurk's entry into the tier it is very difficult to spin. Thats why cuno, regice, zard are not used much even though they are great pokes w/o sr on the field.

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Articuno @ Leftovers
-Pressure
-EVs 162 HP / 252 SpDef / 96 Spe
-Calm nature
-Roost
-Heal Bell
-Toxic
-Ice Beam

Role: Special wall
What it does: Walls the living $h!t outta special sweepers (excluding fire and electric types) and even stalls out other NU walls such as Amoongus and Alomomola.
Now I'm sure you're all wondering..."Yo GS WTF is up with the EVs in Speed?", well i'll tell ya sucka, it's to outrun those punks with a base speed of 55 such as Ampharos, If they've fully invested into Speed. Otherwise you could just run the standard 252HP / 252SpDef spread. But I don't take those chances, this beauty is bulky enough to sacrifice a lil HP for some Speed IMO.
Good teammates: Rapidash! What could be better than pairing two beautiful pokemon together? Plus the synergy is great. Rapidash has Flash Fire thus canceling out any fire type attacks heading Articuno's way and giving itself a boost. Lampent also fills this role well. As for the Electric weakness, Torterra and Zebstrika both fit that role easily. I prefer Zebstrika because of its Lightningrod ability, but I know alot of fellow NU players love them some Torterra.
What counters it: Heh, well just about any fire or electric type sweeper, but we try not to let Cuno die that easily, after all, thats what its teammates are for.
I love Articuno as well. But that doesn't blind me from the fact Articuno has many weaknesses that you have to address in order to make it work. Stealth Rock and Rock moves in general are Articuno's greatest weakness. A few of the Grass-types that you normally counter, most importantly Serperior, run Hidden Power Rock along with their Grass move of choice to provide good coverage. Fire and Electric moves are rather common, though at least Articuno has a chance of living the special hits. Too bad that the most common Fire-type is Emboar (#10 in July usage stats), who normally runs a physical set. Toxic is a inferior option to Roar most of the time, since Articuno works best with many hazards on the opponent's field. For teammates you definitely should mention Stealth Rock setters like Golem, as well as Spike setters like Garbodor. Mention that Rapid Spinners are a necessity, since without Speed investment, it will be hard to Roost up if you take a hit before you can do so. Armaldo is the most strongest out of the remaining Rapid Spinners, but I suppose Wartortle(lol) and Torkoal(cough) are decent options as well.

Because Stealth Rock strips away 50% of its health upon switching in. You should add a spinner to the teammates section. (Rapidash is weak to Stealth Rock too, by the way)
Honestly SR isn't as big a deal as everyone makes it out to be you just have to be prepared for it. It's really all about your play-style. If you can't find a way around SR then tough nuts for you (not you personally SpecsX).

And I guess i should post an RMT for my NU team to show how I use Articuno.

That's why SR is a meta defining move. You have to provide support to the support pokemon of your team (articuno in your case GSBaowlz).

If you can't find a way around SR then tough nuts for you.

And I guess i should post an RMT for my NU team to show how I use Articuno.
Using a spinner is the easiest way to find a way around Steath Rock, and there are so few viable spinners, once Rocks are up, they usually stay up permanently. I've seen practically no spinners in all the games I have played.

You probably SHOULD post an RMT to show us how yourr team works.

Wow, just noticed i have over 100 posts. Dont know how that happened. I suppose ill post my favorite physically defensive mon since no one else has yet.

Weezing @ Black Sludge
Trait: Levitate
Evs: 252Hp/252Def/4SpAtk
Bold Nature

-Pain Split
-Sludge Bomb
-Haze/Clear Smog
-Will O Wisp

Role: Physical Wall

What it does: Weezing's great physical bulk, good defensive typing, and awesome ability in levitate makes him one of the best defensive mons in the tier. His typing allows him to tank fighting and grass attacks with ease. Couple that with levitate allowing for an immunity to ground, Weezing only has one weakness which is to psychic. Pain Split is a semi reliable recovery move that is for longevity. Sludge Bomb is the stab of choice as it has a chance to poison and can ko weakened switch ins such as Exeggutor. Clear Smog is so Weezing doesnt become set up fodder while damaging at the same time, however haze can be used to hit through substitutes. Will O Wisp is to cripple physical attackers and set up sweepers.

Good teammates: Because Weezing has only a weakness to psychic, a good special defensive mon such as lickilicky would be a great partner as the synergize really well. Because psychics are its only weakness, dark types such as Absol or Skuntank work well with Weezing, as they are able to trap and kill with pursuit.

What counters it: Due to his small special bulk, most special attackers will be able to ko Weezing. Fire types can switch in on a Will O Wisp and strike back with a powerful fire attack. Like i mentioned before, any psychic type stops Weezing in its tracks and forces him out. Lastly, any substitute user can give him trouble as he will have a tough time breaking it. Haze helps with this though as they will not be able to set up.

Any additional info: Taunt, thunderbolt, and fire blast can all be used on this set if youre looking for other options or more coverage. Memento can also be used to allow Set up sweepers such as Belly Drum Linoone to get a free boost and proceed to sweep.

If I get ninja'd, Im killing someone :D

Probopass @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Volt Switch
- Power Gem/Earth Power

Role: Special Wall/Hazard User
What it does:
Probopass is one of the best users of Stealth Rock, due to it's typing (granting many resistances), it's amazing Sturdy ability, and it's terrific stats overall. As long as Mold Breaker isn't involved, getting up Stealth Rocks with this guy is almost inevitable. Sturdy allows it to live any potential ohko attack (generally Ground type and Fighting type physical attacks), letting it set up rocks no matter what. It's Rock/Steel typing allows it to resist Normal, Flying, Rock, Bug, Ghost, Dark, Psychic, Ice, and Dragon types, along with being immune to Psychic. That's more than half of the pokemon types! It's Special Defense isn't bad at all either, being at a maximum of 483 with a maximum of 324 hp. Provided with a really low speed, Probopass is able to take a hit and slowly Volt Switch into a partner.
Good Teammates: Probopass can work very well with anything weak to the plethora of types it resists (see above for a list), and generally any team weak the birds. It's also a really great partner to slower pokemon, such as Guts Ursaring, if Thunder Wave is utilized. I should also mention that stall teams that rely a little bit on hazards enjoy his ability to force switches. Misdreavus is pretty cool, as it is immune to both Ground and Fighting, and with Calm Minds can take special water hits. Parasect gets perfect synergy with Probopass, I think.
What counters it: Barber/Fighting/Ground/Water types.
Any Additional Info:
Probopass, got the stache.
And, a bit more of an offensive set can be used, (not sure if I should post), for the more offensive teams. It does more damage, less stalling, but can still take some hits.

Suprised nobody has posted a Gothitelle set as of yet.

While this weird psychic russian doll thing probably won't stay in NU for very long it's a beast of a trapper for the time being.

Role: Revenge Killer/Trapper/Bulky Attacker

Gothitelle @ Choice Specs
252hp/252spatk/4spe
Modest Nature
-Psychic
-Thunderbolt
-HP Fighting / Ground
-Grass Knot / Trick

While I've seen many different Gothitelle sets that utilise Calm Mind or Torment, this is the most effective in my opinion. Come in on an attack that she doesn't fear, then proceed to hit the enemy with the most powerful move available to you as they will be unable to switch. Stuff like Amoonguss and Garbodor are zapped by Psychic, and most neutral targets will take heavy damage, making it the move of choice in most scenarios. Thunderbolt is for Alomolola and other bulky waters, as well as doing heavy damage to flying types. HP Fighting hits normal types slightly harder than Psychic, as well has hitting Rock and Steel types like Probopass, Bastiodon, Lairon heavier than any other move on the set. HP Ground has a similar purpose, while hitting Electric types such as Luxray much harder. The last move is up to you: Grass Knot takes out stuff like Golem and Seismitoad with ease, while Trick can cripple a wall for a whole game.

Good team-mates would include those who benefit from having specific checks removed. Amoongbro putting a damper on your Sawk sweep? Let Gothitelle blast the shroom with Psychic. Alomolola stalling you to death? The Goth can easily remove it with a Thunderbolt.
Watch out for status while using Gothitelle, though. Sleep ruins her, so it may be best to activate sleep clause before sending her in. Maybe team her up with a cleric such as Miltank or Megainum to stop her from being Toxic-ed by certain walls.

Gothitelle is very prone to revenge killing, especially if you use a Choice Specs like the above, so Pursuit users like Absol or Skuntank are a threat. Also don't even try to trap pokemon such as Misdreavus, as they may set up on you and hit you with a Super-Effective Shadow Ball.

i'm a sweet potato :>

Lickilicky @ Leftovers
Trait: Own Tempo
EVs: 224 HP / 32 Atk / 124 SDef / 128 Spd
Careful Nature
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Body Slam
- Power Whip

Role: Physical Sweeper / Stallbreaker

What it does: Although using Lickilicky offensively may seem ridiculous, especially when it has solid defensive stats, reliable recovery and an excellent support movepool. However, this set still aims to make use of its excellent bulk. With Substitute, Lickilicky becomes an excellent stallbreaker - providing it can avoid Toxic. Its Substitute are incredibly bulky; Amoonguss's Sludge Bomb, nor Alomomola's Waterfall can break them. Making it an excellent answer to Regenerator cores. The EVs mean that Lickilicky's Substitutes are not broken by Amoonguss's Sludge Bomb, Miltank's Body Slam, Alomomola's Waterfall, Rotom-S's Timid Volt Switch, among many other things. In addition, the EVs enable Lickilicky to outpace Pokemon whose Base Speed is 65, such as Alomomola.

Good Teammates: Due to Lickilicky's Normal-type STAB, Ghost-types are problematic for Lickilicky. Therefore, Dark-types, such as Skuntank and Absol make good teammates. Especially when they have Pursuit in their arsenal. In addition, Pokemon who can defeat Steel-types, such as Probopass, Klang, Mawile and Bastiodon make excellent partners. In particular, Emboar and Sawk , due to their Fighting-type STABs and raw power, make natural candidates for the role. In addition, Musharna makes a good teammate; its Psychic typing means it take care of Fighting-types. Also, it cna use Heal Bell to keep Lickilicky healthy.

What counters it: Despite its success against defensive teams, Lickilicky will often struggle against offensive teams. The nature of these teams mean Licklicky will struggle to keep its prized Substitute up. In particular, Fighting-types, such as Emboar, Sawk and Gurdurr will have an easy time versus Lickilicky. Their Fighting-type STAB and raw power will easily break through Lickilicky's defences. In addition, Steel-types who resist both Normal and Grass will do well against Lickilicky. In particular, Klang can set up against Lickilicky and break past its Substitutes with Gear Grind.

Any Additional Info: NLI's set

Carracosta (M) @ Rocky Helmet / Leftovers
Trait: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Stone Edge
- Waterfall / Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

Role: Hazard User/Bulky Attacker
What it does: Carracosta is one of the best dedicated Stealth Rock leads in NU right now. Not to mention that he's a great tank who can check the mighty Cinccino and beat the #1 spinner in the tier. This thing is basically the the new Golem, providing good offense, defense and a mighty STAB priority move. Also, thanks to Solid Rock, Carracosta can take most physical SE moves too and hit back with a powerful Stone Edge. The mighty birds will stay off the field and normal type spammers will actually be forced to use some prediction skills to win against you :P. You can use either Waterfall or Earthquake depending on what you like more. EQ gives you the famous EdgeQuake coverage and hits Steel types hard while Waterfall is a 100% accurate powerful STAB attack if you hate relying on Stone Edge hitting. Leftovers can be used over Rocky Helmet of Cinccino isn't a problem.
Good Teammates: Amoonguss has great synergy with Costa but really anything that can take a Giga Drain or Thunderbolt will work just fine. Dedicated special walls are probably the best though, but on more offensive teams Costa might just be supposed to set up SR and die.
What counters it: Special attackes, pretty much. You can't count on Carracosta surviving a non resisted special attack. Things like Rotom, Eel, Amoonguss and Gorebyss can easily take this thing out.
Any Additional Info: Turtle power!

Frankly, i am surprised nobody took skuntank yet, because even though it took a drop in usage, it is still as great as ever in trapping psychics and ghosts, although he can't really switch into golurk. But either way, I present you with skuntank.

Skuntank @Dread Plate/Life Orb/Leftovers
Trait: Aftermath
Nature: Adamant (+Atk -SpA)
Evs: 252 Atk, 236 Spe, 20 Hp
- Crunch / Poison Jab
- Taunt
- Pursuit
- Sucker Punch

Role: Bulky Attacker / Stallbreaker
Why it's Good: Skuntank is undoubtedly one of the best pokemon in the metagame, and for good reason. With this set, he takes hits fairly well thanks to his typing and hits hard due to his spread. And even though his coverage isn't the greatest, it is very effective in removing the likes of gardevoir and haunter. It also hits hard enough to break through stall, thanks to the toxic immunity (including being able to absorb tspikes), great typing, and taunt. The moves allow him to trap weaker things, as well as being able to nail faster things hard with a powerful STAB sucker punch. Aftermath is the icing on the cake, so if he is KOed by an impact attack, the opponant takes 25% damage.
Good Partners: Skuntank fits very well on a variaty of teams. His unique typing and trapping/stallbreaking abilities allow it to work on stall teams to remove the likes of musharna, especially when paired with weezing who's typing fits perfectly with tank's. He is also great on offensive teams, getting rid of threats that would ruin teammates like gurdurr, sawk, and haunter. The last of which gets a special mention due to it's perfect type synergy with skun.
Additional Info: Why did people stop using itttttttttttttttttttttt?????????????????????

There will be more to come, but just starting with the most noticable to me. I will be the orangest of the root veggies.

Holy shit F2H, that is the scariest avatar I've ever seen.

Reserving Absol, Audino, Sunflora (for the lulz), Garbodor, and Unfezant.

Absol @ Life Orb
Trait: Super Luck
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Superpower
- Pursuit
- Psycho Cut / Night Slash

Role: Revenge Killer

Why it's good: Absol has the strongest priority attack in NU, Sucker Punch. Mix that with its base 130 Attack stat and it becomes quite devastating, able to easily revenge kill most offensive threats in the tier bar Fighting-types and Pokemon with extra bulk. Superpower gives Absol a powerful coverage option against Steel-, Normal-, and Rock-type Pokemon, OHKOing most of them. Cleaning Psychic- and Ghost-type Pokemon out is also a simple job. Absol can easily switch into the majority of Psychic-types in the tier, being immune to their STAB. Many will attempt to switch out before taking a Sucker Punch, but Absol can hit them as they switch with Pursuit, which, like its other attacks, will most likely score an OHKO. Pursuit is also useful against Ghost-types, who are practically in the same boat as Psychics. For a final attack, Absol's Psycho Cut hits Fighting and Poison Pokemon harder, while Night Slash is its strongest reliable STAB attack.

Good Partners: Slower, bulkier Pokemon appreciate Absol's ability to remove quicker threats from the game. (Dark / Psychic / Fighting) cores rival (Fire / Water / Grass) ones in terms of effectiveness, and Absol makes a great partner to almost any Fighting- and Psychic-type in the tier. Emboar and Gurdurr are both slower, bulkier Fighting Pokemon which have great offensive synergy with Absol, while Musharna, Gothitelle, and Exeggutor all fit the bill for slower, bulkier Psychic Pokemon. Most offensive teams will appreciate Absol's spectacular revenge killing skills. Absol also appreciates entry hazards to further weaken its targets. Garbodor, Cacturne, and Golem are all offensive hazard setters that Absol works well with.

Additional Info: Life Orb recoil is hard to consistently take, but a well-played Absol won't care about small amounts of residual damage as it will be one-shotting most opponents. Beware of faster users of priority as they negate Sucker Punch. Don't use Choice Scarf. It might be leaving the tier soon, so use it while you can.

Audino @ Shed Shell / Leftovers
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpDef
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell
- Toxic / Thunder Wave

Role: Special Wall

Why it's good: Audino is the definition of "support Pokemon". It keeps its teammates healthy and free of status conditions while also being excellent at Toxic stalling due to the combination of Wish and Protect. Regenerator is extremely useful as it can combine its healing with that of Wish to make sure that Audino can always restore 80% of its health whenever it needs to. With maximum investment, Audino can repeatedly take even some of the stronger special hits in NU, and can easily heal any damage it takes while slowly whittling away the opponent's HP with Toxic. Defensively, Audino is the best cleric in the tier.

Good Partners: Alomomola and / or Amoonguss make excellent partners with Audino as they form the Regenerator core. This is possibly the best defensive core in the tier and is extremely difficult to push through without proper prediction or a Pokemon with ridiculous offenses. Any Pokemon that hates being crippled by status / needs wish support loves having an Audino on its team. Physical attackers that hate burns, such as Golurk, Cinccino, Absol, Choice Band users, and Sawk work. Faster offensive Pokemon that hate being paralyzed such as Cinccino (again), Floatzel, Choice Scarf users, Kadabra, Haunter, and Dodrio work. Most of these are also frail and would appreciate extra Wish healing. Pokemon that can remove Fighting-, Steel-, and Poison-types are mandatory, as the former can easily OHKO most Audino with super effective STAB attacks, while the latter two cannot be damaged by it.

Additional Info: While its defensive stats are mixed, a specially defensive set is usually the better of the two as Audino tends to take physical hits rather poorly even with investment. Audino is complete Taunt bait, and needs to beware of Pokemon with said attack. Works best on balanced teams. Shed Shell is specifically for Gothitelle, and teams with an answer to her need not use Shed Shell.

ERMAHGERD, SERNFLERWERZ @ Life Orb / Heat Rock
Trait: Solar Power
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpAtk / 4 SpDef
Modest Nature
- SolarBeam
- Hidden Power Rock / Hidden Power Fire
- Earth Power
- Morning Sun / Sunny Day

Role: Special Sweeper

Why it's bad: Outstanding 75 / 55 / 85 defenses, a blistering base 30 Speed, and access to both Bide and GrassWhistle make Sunflora a threat to look out for. It also has access to an enormous base 105 Special Attack that can be further boosted by Life Orb and Solar Power. Sunflora is so good, in fact, that if an opponent strikes it with a move that isn't very effective the same turn that Sunflora fires off a Solar Power Life Orb SolarBeam then Sunflora might actually survive with less than 20% of its HP! If Solar Power isn't your cup of tea, then you can use Chlorophyll instead, which, with maximum Speed investment, gives Sunflora 348 total Speed! Sure, Swellow still outspeeds it, but who uses that shitty Pokemon? Like all sunflowers, Sunflora is absolutely horrifying. Watch out for this monster, because it truly is the kingpin of NU weather teams.
The onsite analysis actually attempts to make the reader believe that Sunflora can set up and take advantage of its own Sunny Day, which is just cruel. Imagine how many new users actually believed that and tried it out?

Good Partners: Delibird and Farfetch'd are great options on a joke team. I was going to suggest actual teammates for a PU sun team, but then realized that this wouldn't even be good in that tier either.

Additional Info: It might be somewhat threatening in LC, but half of the Pokemon there could probably beat Sunflora one-on-one. NU has way too many other Pokemon that can utilize the power of the sun for any player to seriously consider using this Pokemon. Just leave it alone.

Armaldo @ Leftovers
Trait: Battle Armor
248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Blast
- X-Scissor / Knock Off

Role: Rapid Spinner and Physical Wall

What it does: Armaldo is the single user of Rapid Spin in the whole tier that isn't considered dead weight. Honestly, this is the only thing you should use if you really need Spin support because Wartortle, Tentacool and other crap like that does NOTHING outside of spinning and dying. Armaldo has a good Attack stat and a decent Defense stat paired with a good typing. Which means he can actually take hits and deal damage. In other words, do stuff for your team. If you want Armaldo to deal hits rather than taking them, investing fully in Attack is a viable option as well. There is a Swords Dance set, but Armaldo is very slow and lacks priority but it's still an option for very offensive teams.

Good Teammates: A huge downside with Armaldo's typing is of course being a Rock type that takes neutral damage from Brave Bird. That means you need some other answer for Braviary and Swellow. Rotom-S and Electrode can revenge kill and Eelektross can function as a check too. Ammonguss is another great partner as it can take on opposing Rock and Water types that could threaten Armaldo. Things like Regirock, Golem and Carracosta will lose to this mighty shroom. Also, since Armaldo is a spinner something that is weak to hazards like Charizard or Articuno really benefits from it.

What counters it: Armaldo is weak to Rock, Steel and Water which means things like Carracosta and other bulky waters will have an easy time against it. Klang can easily set up on it and Golem and Regirock can hit it hard with Rock Blast or Stone Edge.

Any Additional Info: it spins btw

Armaldo @ Leftovers
248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Blast
- X-Scissor / Knock Off

Role: Rapid Spinner and Physical Wall

What it does: Armaldo is the single user of Rapid Spin in the whole tier that isn't considered dead weight. Honestly, this is the only thing you should use if you really need Spin support because Wartortle, Tentacool and other crap like that does NOTHING outside of spinning and dying. Armaldo has a good Attack stat and a decent Defense stat paired with a good typing. Which means he can actually take hits and deal damage. In other words, do stuff for your team. If you want Armaldo to deal hits rather than taking them, investing fully in Attack is a viable option as well. There is a Swords Dance set, but Armaldo is very slow and lacks priority but it's still an option for very offensive teams.
Good Teammates: A huge downside with Armaldo's typing is of course being a Rock type that takes neutral damage from Brave Bird. That means you need some other answer for Braviary and Swellow. Rotom-S and Electrode can revenge kill and Eelektross can function as a check too. Ammonguss is another great partner as it can take on opposing Rock and Water types that could threaten Armaldo. Things like Regirock, Golem and Carracosta will lose to this mighty shroom. Also, since Armaldo is a spinner something that is weak to hazards like Charizard or Articuno really benefits from it.

What counters it: Armaldo is weak to Rock, Steel and Water which means things like Carracosta and other bulky waters will have an easy time against it. Klang can easily set up on it and Golem and Regirock can hit it hard with Rock Blast or Stone Edge.

Any Additional Info: it spins btw
I prefer Quakedge on both offensive and defensive sets for this pokemon because I find that X-Scissor doesn't hit enough things (that is, non-psychic/grass (not including amoongus)/dark (not including skuntank)) hard enough, while he misses out on the second stab, it lets him counter steel and rock types that would try to either reset hazards or counter attack.

And on a second note, even on defensive sets, rock blast's power isn't reliable enough to be used over stone edge, which is much more powerful and much more reliable (a miss then a hit is still more damage than 2 low hits from Rock blast) and you really only have twice the accuracy (that is, a 10% chance to miss over a 20% chance) so it's just plain better to use stone edge.

Seriously though, never underestimate the offensive power of this pokemon, it's respectable bulk and *good* attack power and coverage means that things will have trouble switching in on it. It also has the advantage of fulfilling two roles (hazards and spinning, as well as the side advantage of being the physical wall or physical attacker, it actually has a lot of options just based off of it's stats and typing as well as it's access to SR and Rapid Spin) at once, so it means that you can use the slot you save for just about anything (in my case, I use it for dual screening, helping my offensive core out a good bit, as it's very fragile)

My preferred set for this poke is...

Armaldo (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Role
: Rapid Spinner, Hazard Layer and Offensive Support

What it does: Just like the poster above me, I realized that Armaldo is indeed the only useful spinner in the tier. That being said his bases as well as his typing lends more towards offensive sets rather than defensive sets. The ability to use quakedge for great neutral coverage opens up enough slots to be able to use both rapid spin and SR. The offensive set however, outright beats a Braviary switching in on it and can 2HKO Braviary, and if it attempts to use a brave bird, it dies to recoil damage (to quote,
Stone Edge: 220-261 (64.51 - 76.53%) -- guaranteed 2HKO, and if there's SR well... yeah). People seem not to expect offensive Armaldo and it really surprises me considering it's great base attack power. 4 Speed ensures that it beats other 0 Spe Armaldos and kills them with Stone Edge.

Good Teammates: Because it's not nearly as bulky as it's defensive counterpart, the great shroom Ammonguss checks many of the threats that come up on Armaldo; Lickylicky can pass sufficiently large wishes as well as heal bell statuses that Armaldo also does not like to have (especially burns) and Serperior backs up with Dual Screening to make Armaldo quite the tough nut to crack despite being somewhat less bulky than his defensive partners.

What counters it: Rocks, basically, but hitting it's rather weak special side and exploiting his terrible speed are also good options, too.

Any Additional Info: Armaldo can take plenty of hits without much defensive investment, so I really think that offensive sets suit it much better. Leftovers over a Life Orb makes it so it doesn't ruin the one thing that makes it so strong in the first place, good bulk. It already hates passive damage so making it worse really does not help. But it can OKHO many more threats after rocks if it packs one. Armaldo does a wonderful job in filling in several roles effectively, and when you have six pokemon to cover as many threats as possible with well... it does a good job in helping with that, at least in NU.

Django

Started from the bottom...
is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
On Rock Blast vs Stone Edge: Because of the way Rock blast works, it actually has a 33% chance to be as strong or stronger than Stone Edge (4-5 hits is stronger). When you factor in the extra 10% accuracy, as well as the increased critical hit chance (more attacks = more chance for a crit, and a 3 hit Rock Blast with a crit is equal in power to Stone Edge), Rock Blast will, on average, produce around the same amount of damage. It may let you down on a crucial occaison or two, but so does Stone Edge's accuracy. Rock Blast also has the advantage of beating Ninjask, and other Focus Sash users, which is always nice.

Anyway on a more offensive Armaldo, I would probably be running some sort of Speed. 128 HP / 252 Atk / 128 Spe lets you outrun minimum Speed Tangela, which is a decent benchmark to aim for. I would also prefer to run 3 Attacks + Rapid Spin, and leave Stealth Rock to something else, as Armaldo gets no where near as many chances to use both Stealth Rock and Rapid Spin if its offensive. 3 out of X-Scissor, Rock Blast, Earthquake and Aqua Tail would be my choice, depending on what threats I needed to hit (Aqua Tail for Golem, Earthquake for Probopass etc).

Holy shit F2H, that is the scariest avatar I've ever seen.
:)

reserving KING DWEBBLE, 4 attacks zangoose, and lumrest exeggutor.

EDIT: All of them are To Use by the way.

KING DWEBBLE @Eviolite
Trait: Sturdy
Evs: 200 Hp, 252 spe, 56 Atk
Nature: Jolly
- Spikes
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- Rock Blast

Role: Hazard setter
Why it's good: Dwebble is great due to solid bulk and good enough speed. He is always able to easily set up at least 1 hazard thanks to sturdy, but when used correctly will set up all your hazards with ease. And although dwebbster's usefulness mostly dies off from that point, he is still able to cripple foes by knocking off their item, pokemon such as tangela, gurdurr, and emboar become alot easier to handle when they no longer have their items. Dwebble is fast enough to outrun most common golurk, emboar, etc, and will often find chances to set up. His evs allow him to take hits well, he isn't 2hkoed by golem's EQ and has a chance to live cinccino's rock blast. Dwebble itself won't sweep most teams, but it's ability to support means oftentimes something else on your team will.
Good Partners: Due to the nature of this set, it is more of the option you would use to support the main things in the team. From my experiance of dwebble, 4 attacks zangoose is extremely potent alongside it. However, other quick sweepers work due to the added damage provided by spikes. Also, a ghost type is invaluable at insuring you keep hazards on the field. If you are running a stall team, I wouls suggest eviolite frillish. If an offensive team, CB golurk also makes a great partner.
Additional info: If you have any doubts to dwebble's talents, please consult my RMT for more. :)

Zangoose @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Toxic Boost
EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Spd, 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Night Slash
- Quick Attack
- Facade

Role: Physical sweeper
Why It's Good: Zangoose is widely known as possibly the best physical sweeper in the tier for a reason. It's great speed and massive strength combined with perfect coverage makes zangoose one of the greatest threats in the NU tier. With a STAB 140 BP no drawbacks attack and priority, zangoose can hit anything hard. And dispite the timer, zangoose is a very potent sweeper that can easily tear through teams with it's sheer power. The ability to simply revenge kill something and sweep is amazing and should never be taken lightly, even if you run the proper checks.
Good Partners: zangoose really thrives when provided hazards on the opposing feild (dwebble!) Also, things to beat down his checks are helpful, so something like exeggutor to beat carracosta/gurdurr and the likes is invaluable. Ghosts are also helpful because they can take the fighting hits aimed at zangoose so he can come in later.
Additional info: Check my rmt as well as others, zangoose isnt exactly a rare pokemon.

Exeggutor @Lum Berry
Trait: Harvest
Evs: 252 SpA, 180 Spe, 78 Hp
Modest Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Psychic
- Sleep Powder
- Rest

Role:
Wallbreaker / Stallbreaker
Why It's good: This set is great for a large amount of reasons. Exeggutor's ability to destroy stall is fantastic, being able to completely heal itself reliably in one turn, put things to sleep, and hit extremely hard all in the same set. Exeggutor is a great wallbreaker because he can easily dismantle common walls like carracosta, weezing, alomomola, amoonguss, and regirock, among others. And what it can't break (licki, klang, and skuntank) it can simply put to sleep. His durability is great with neverending lum berries from harvest paired with rest. And although I dont run much defensive investment, natural bulk and interesting resistances give eggy the ability to come into a lot of things. People will likely ask about my choice in speed investment, but this amount allows him to outrun 16 spe garbodor, which is about the fastest wall worth outspeeding with this set.
Good Partners: Anything that needs the services of eggy works as a partner. Pokes that can take bug moves, and the other weaks, are also great so that eggy can come back later. Eggy goes well with gurdurr, as they both help out quite a bit with each other's checks. Pokemon that enjoy abusing the opponant's sleep status are great with exeggutor. Exeggutor doesn't need much support due to it's ability to be mostly self-sufficiant, but it is best in a dark/psychic/fighting core because fighting/dark types in general do a good job in help eggy or another of them sweep.
Additional info: Harvest is teh bawse.

Wartortle Can Win

Wartortle seems to have got a lot of stick from people for only being good for "Rapid Spinning and dying", so here's a moveset which I've used in NU and even RU for some time.

[pimg]8[/pimg]

Wartortle @ Evolite
Trait: Torrent
Evs: 252 HP, 4 Def, 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Yawn / Toxic
- Whirlpool
- Seismic Toss
- Scald / Icebeam / Hidden Power(Dark)

Role: Wallbreaker / Trapper

Why It's good:
- I've had particular success with this set against the many troublesome Weezings I've come across recently (by using Yawn). Of course, it's no good only countering one pokemon, but it also deals with a decent array of other threats too. A first turn Whirlpool might seem gimmicky, but it's actually surprisingly viable. Followed up by a Yawn or Toxic and the opponents wall is in trouble. Then Seismic Toss for consistent damage for a 3/4 Hit KO (2/3 Hit KO if running Toxic). Scald hits with STAB and that tastey 30% burn chance, Icebeam hits Grass types looking for a kill, and Hidden Power(Dark) hits any Ghost types you're having trouble with, or can't hit with Seismic Toss.
- Yawn can also be useful as a pseudo-phazer if entry hazards have been set up.

Good Partners:
- A cleric, Altaria being the best example, can be useful to relieve Wartortle of any status inflicted from the trapped wall (e.g. Will-O-Wisp from Weezing) after Wartortle has done it's job. This also couples well when trying to Whirlpool-trap the right pokemon through switches, as Wartortle resists Ice which Altaria has a 4x weakness too (2x if Roosted), whilst Altaria laughs at Grass with it's 4x resistance and is only hit neutrally by Electric (resisted if Roosted). Both have decent natural physical bulk.

Additional info:
- Yawn takes precedent here really, as there are quite a few Poison (and a few Steel) types in NU (though not all walls). However, Toxic can be very useful for a quicker kill if you think you can guarantee your survival for the few turns it takes.

Alternative EV Spread:

132 HP, 126 SpA, 252 SpD

- this can be used if you feel that you need that Scald / Icebeam / Hidden Power(Dark) to hit that little bit harder. I've tested this and it has it's place.

Negative points:
- This set is, of course, scuppered by anything with Baton Pass, U-Turn and particularly Volt Switch (2x effectiveness).
- If Yawn is run on this set, the opponent can take a Yawn, fall asleep (or switch out into a Sleep Talk-er) and then switch out into a speedy counter, preventing Yawn from being used again (violation of Sleep Clause).
- The rising use of Knock Off is a bad sight for Wartortle, as he'd be crippled without his Evolite.

Wartortle only has a small niche, and would grow predictable, but the predictability is offset by it's ability to succeed if it manages to get Whirlpool and Yawn off.

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender

Absol @ Life Orb
Trait: Super Luck
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Superpower
- Pursuit
- Psycho Cut / Night Slash

Role: Revenge Killer

Why it's good: Absol has the strongest priority attack in NU, Sucker Punch. Mix that with its base 130 Attack stat and it becomes quite devastating, able to easily revenge kill most offensive threats in the tier bar Fighting-types and Pokemon with extra bulk. Superpower gives Absol a powerful coverage option against Steel-, Normal-, and Rock-type Pokemon, OHKOing most of them. Cleaning Psychic- and Ghost-type Pokemon out is also a simple job. Absol can easily switch into the majority of Psychic-types in the tier, being immune to their STAB. Many will attempt to switch out before taking a Sucker Punch, but Absol can hit them as they switch with Pursuit, which, like its other attacks, will most likely score an OHKO. Pursuit is also useful against Ghost-types, who are practically in the same boat as Psychics. For a final attack, Absol's Psycho Cut hits Fighting and Poison Pokemon harder, while Night Slash is its strongest reliable STAB attack.

Good Partners: Slower, bulkier Pokemon appreciate Absol's ability to remove quicker threats from the game. (Dark / Psychic / Fighting) cores rival (Fire / Water / Grass) ones in terms of effectiveness, and Absol makes a great partner to almost any Fighting- and Psychic-type in the tier. Emboar and Gurdurr are both slower, bulkier Fighting Pokemon which have great offensive synergy with Absol, while Musharna, Gothitelle, and Exeggutor all fit the bill for slower, bulkier Psychic Pokemon. Most offensive teams will appreciate Absol's spectacular revenge killing skills. Absol also appreciates entry hazards to further weaken its targets. Garbodor, Cacturne, and Golem are all offensive hazard setters that Absol works well with.

Additional Info: Life Orb recoil is hard to consistently take, but a well-played Absol won't care about small amounts of residual damage as it will be one-shotting most opponents. Beware of faster users of priority as they negate Sucker Punch. Don't use Choice Scarf. It might be leaving the tier soon, so use it while you can.
I had posted almost the exact set before!!!

To not make my post look bad, have a Haunter.

Haunter @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Sludge Bomb
- Shadow Ball
- Disable

Role: Special Sweeper

What it does: Haunter is one of the few Ghost-types in the tier and arguably has the best combination of speed and power out of all of them. It's typing allows it to come in on Lickilicky, Miltank, Choice Band / Scarf Sawk, and others with ease and set up a Substitute. From then on, it is extremely hard take out Haunter unless you have a multi-hit move. Disable increases the list of Pokemon that Haunter can set up by a huge amount, and is extremely useful against Pokemon with only one coverage move that can hit Haunter, such as Musharna or Gurdurr. This set can often run through a team, especially with hazards since it forces so many switches.

Good Teammates: Haunter doesn't require much team support to do what it does. Gurdurr is able to demolish Probopass and Skuntank—two very common Haunter counters. It can also switch into Rock Blast with ease, which is likely the move that Golem and Cinccino are going to use against you in order to break through your Substitutes. Using Haunter as a defensive Pokemon is a no-no, so a separate core would be useful as teammates, unless you're going all-out-offensive.

What counters it: As previously mentioned, Skuntank and Probopass are very good counters to Haunter. Skuntank can alternate between Crunch and Pursuit to bypass Disable and hopefully trap Haunter. It takes very little damage from its attacks thanks to resistances to both. Probopass simply does not care about anything Haunter throws at it and can break its Substitutes with Flash Cannon or Volt Switch out to a faster Pokemon while breaking Haunter's Substitute at the same time. Regice takes very little damage as well, and can alternate between Thunderbolt and Ice beam to beat Haunter. Rock Blast users can bypass Substitute and usually OHKO Haunter if they hit decently hard.

Any Additional Info: Haunter is one of the few reliable checks to Zangoose and can set up on it with ease.

ebeast

she's probably sexting nprtprt
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
@Solomon : Wartortle is sadly a terrible spinner due to its only okay defenses, 4 moveslot syndrome, and that it has absolutely no offensive presence. Hell it can even lose to Golurk as it gets 2HKOed by CB EQ while not even 2HKOing back with Scald.
EDIT: omg, I saw Wartortle and assumed spin without looking at it...what kind of set is that lol Wartortle isn't breaking anything, not even things weak to Scald (Golurk)

@Furi Kuri : Haunter is my favorite :)

Speaking of spinners, I'll do Torkoal and Armaldo for today. This thread REALLY needs spinners posted, I've seen way too many people claiming Wartortle to be amazing on PS chat. (ö.ö)

(No fancy picture for today as looking back at it, if I was running this thread my CDO (More like OCD, but alphabetical order strong) would kill me about not having every post formatted exactly the same and mine stick out the most.

Torkoal (F) @ White Herb
Trait: Shell Armor
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Shell Smash
- Rapid Spin
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass] / Earth Power

Role: Rapid Spinner / Special Sweeper (Secondary)

What it does: While Torkoal is normally looked at as a defensive Pokemon, it actually does have a pretty good base 85 Special Attack and access to Shell Smash. Now you might ask yourself, "How could this possibly work out?". Well the answer is simple, Torkoal is capable of beating Golurk, Drifblim, and Misdreavus with Fire Blast, while OHKOing Haunter easily. With Shell Smash Torkoal is capable of not only outspeeding potential spinblockers, but can easily destroy them to allow a free opportunity to Rapid Spin or even sweep if need be. Torkoal's spread allows it outspeed positive Speed natured base 70 Pokemon and hit as hard as possible, while White Herb makes up for Shell Smash's decrease in defenses. With max Speed Torkoal also hits 139 Speed, enough to outspeed standard Golem to get off a Hidden Power Grass early game. While it won't be outspeeding Haunter at +2, Haunter is easily just taken down by a Fire Blast on the switch. (If they switch at all, otherwise it's a free Spin regardless) HP Grass is there to provide some pretty good coverage alongside Fire Blast and allows Torkoal to give the Alomomola + Amoonguss some trouble.

• 252 +2 SpAtk Torkoal (+SpAtk) Fire Blast vs 172 HP/0 SpDef Golurk: 107.18% - 126.24% (Guaranteed OHKO)
  • 252 +2 SpAtk Torkoal (+SpAtk) Fire Blast vs 252 HP/0 SpDef Eviolite Misdreavus: 75.93% - 89.81% (2 hits to KO) [Not a big deal though as Missy can't do much with Shadow Ball after White Herb. You can even set up another Shell Smash on it to sweep if needed]
  • 252 +2 SpAtk Torkoal (+SpAtk) Fire Blast vs 0 HP/4 SpDef Drifblim: 119.73% - 141.04% (Guaranteed OHKO)

Good Teammates: Torkoal functions best on more offensive Fire/Water/Grass cores as it provides the bulk and power that those team look for, and it's too offensive to function all that well on defensive cores such as Alomoonguss. Special Samurott and Torterra make good partners for this as they can easily keep the offensive momentum and cover a huge amount of threats.

What counters it: Most Fire-types such as Emboar, Rapidash, and Camerupt can easily stop Torkoal from sweeping although they can't stop it from accomplishing its main goal of getting off a Rapid Spin.

Any Additional Info: Let's hope that next gen White Smoke stops Overheat SpA drops. :)

Armaldo (M) @ Lum Berry
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Atk / 56 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Rapid Spin
- Rock Blast
- Aqua Tail

Role: Rapid Spinner / Physical Sweeper (Secondary)

What it does: Armaldo follows the same "If you can't Spin through Ghosts, smash them" mentality as Torkoal. Having great bulk and excellent Attack Armaldo makes a great user of Swords Dance, and relies on all of these traits to terminate the Ghosts that haunt and overshadow Armaldo's ability to Rapid Spin. After a single Swords Dance Armaldo's Attack skyrockets to a massive 766 and can start destroying the Ghost-types that will attempt to stop its Rapid Spin. Rock Blast and Aqua Tail provide good coverage and allows Armaldo to deal with Substitute using Ghost-types such as Drifblim and Haunter as well as OHKO Golurk, respectively. Lum Berry is a great item on SD Armaldo as it allows it to easily shrug any Will-O-Wisps that the Ghost-types like to throw around and follow it up with a powerful attack. EVs are set to allow Armaldo to outspeed uninvested base 50 Pokemon such as Regirock, max Attack to give it more of a punch, and 200 HP to make use of its good 75/100/80 defenses.

Good Teammates: Since Armaldo is troubled by Fighting-types and bulky, albeit weak attackers Gothitelle makes the perfect partner for it. Specs Gothitelle will remove Gurdurr, Machoke, Alomomola, Tangela, Amoonguss, Weezing, and Garbodor easily for Armaldo, while appreciating Armaldo's ability to beat down Ghost-types that can badly hurt Gothitelle.

What counters it: Fighting-type Pokemon such as Gurdurr and Machoke truly don't care about any of Armaldo's moves and can start retaliating or boosting up with Bulk Up. Alomomola and Tangela also take minimal damage from this Armaldo's attacks and can easily stall it out while having Regenerator to recover whenever needed. Weezing and Garbodor can take Armaldo's attacks fairly well and reset its boosts with Clear Smog/Haze.

Any Additional Info: Rock/Water Armaldo would have been the best thing ever and I would have used that on probably every team

Charizard @ Life Orb
Trait: Blaze
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant / Jolly Nature
-Dragon Dance
-Outrage
-Flare Blitz
-Roost

Role: Physical Sweeper

What it does: Well seeing as it would most likely be an unexpected set till a dragon dance just kill whatevers out there

Good Teammates:Ninetales and not sure what else

What counters it:SR, Rock moves, Electric moves and water moves

Any Additional Info: Never did competitive battling except against my friend back in 3rd gen so any advice would be appreciated

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)