Archen (BW2 Revamp) [QC 3/3] [GP 2/2]

michael

m as in mancy
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
i'll get this written up asap; slap me on irc if i don't

Blarajan loves this thing

[Overview]

<p>On the surface, Archen looks as though it would dominate Little Cup. It has the second highest base Attack stat in the metagame, accompanied by high Special Attack and Speed. Its typing also allows it to check Murkrow—one of few with reliable recovery—and it also has a powerful STAB attack in Stone Edge. Access to Stealth Rock via a move tutor and decent bulk (even greater under sand) make it a solid offensive pivot. However, Archen has one of the worst abilities in the game, halving its Attack and Special Attack when under 50% HP; although this is somewhat mitigated by Roost, it is also weak to Stealth Rock, somewhat frail without Eviolite, and is vulnerable to powerful priority attacks that can knock it into Defeatist range before it can attack. Overall, Archen fits a niche in Little Cup as a reasonably bulky pivot and powerful attacker, but must be wary of the powerful attackers in the metagame.</p>

[SET]
name: Eviolite
move 1: Rock Slide / Stone Edge
move 2: Roost
move 3: Acrobatics
move 4: U-turn / Stealth Rock
item: Eviolite
nature: Adamant
evs: 236 HP / 100 Atk / 76 Def / 76 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Upon gaining access to Roost in BW2, Archen's viability shot up; its crippling ability, Defeatist, can now be mitigated with reliable recovery, and it can utilize this to be able to check the powerful Flying-types in the metagame repeatedly. It is never 2HKOed by Murkrow's Brave Bird after Stealth Rock and hail, meaning it can Roost out of danger and KO with Rock Slide. Stone Edge is a considerably more powerful STAB, but Archen is then easily PP stalled by SubRoost Murkrow. Acrobatics is a secondary STAB attack, which lets Archen hit Fighting- and Grass-types super effectively, and if Eviolite is removed via Knock Off, will always OHKO Impish Mienfoo, as well as Quiet Croagunk and Jolly Scraggy. Pluck can be used here, but the only Pokemon which use Berries are Bronzor and Dwebble, both of which beat Archen anyway. U-turn allows Archen to seize momentum gained by forcing out Murkrow and other Flying-types; however, Archen can also use these forced switches to set up Stealth Rock.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The listed EV spread gives Archen enough bulk to avoid the 2HKO from Murkrow, with the remaining EVs invested in its great Attack and decent Special Defense. The last slot is mostly a filler and can be filled with many other moves: Crunch hits Misdreavus far more reliably than Stone Edge; Knock Off cripples Choice Scarf users and Pokemon that rely on Eviolite, such as Mienfoo; finally, Earthquake can be used to make the EdgeQuake combo, hitting the entire metagame bar Bronzor and Baltoy neutrally and hitting specific threats including Magnemite and Chinchou super effectively.</p>

<p>The best teammates for Archen are those that are threatened by Flying-types; Mienfoo and Croagunk benefit massively from having Archen there to cushion attacks from Murkrow and Drifloon and can take on Rock-type attacks for it. As Archen is severely hindered by Stealth Rock, spinners, such as Drilbur—which can cushion Rock- and Electric-type attacks—and Staryu, make excellent teammates. Conversely, having entry hazards set up by Ferroseed or Dwebble make Archen less reliant on 2HKOs and the poor accuracy of Stone Edge. It's also walled by bulky Steel-types, including Magnemite, Bronzor, and Pawniard; Houndour is a great offensive check to them, while your own Magnemite can trap and set up on both Bronzor and slower Pawniard.</p>

[SET]
name: Acrobatics
move 1: Acrobatics
move 2: Stone Edge / Rock Slide
move 3: Earthquake
move 4: U-turn / Roost
item: Flying Gem / Oran Berry
nature: Jolly
evs: 76 HP / 180 Atk / 196 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Archen makes a superb dedicated attacker in its own right. With Acrobatics coming off 20 Attack, along with STAB and Flying Gem, it has one of the most powerful attacks in the metagame, often OHKOing even Eviolite Misdreavus after Stealth Rock. Stone Edge is a powerful secondary STAB attack, providing good neutral coverage and allowing Archen to check Murkrow in a pinch, KOing after Stealth Rock with Defeatist activated. Earthquake completes Archen's coverage, KOing Magnemite effortlessly and hitting Chinchou for good damage. The final slot is somewhat of a filler: U-turn lets Archen scout its checks, while Roost gives it more longevity. Flying Gem boosts Acrobatics tremendously, although Oran Berry gives Archen a second chance by taking it out of Defeatist range once.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EV spread listed maximizes Attack and Speed, and places the remaining EVs in HP. Acrobatics is Archen's most reliable and powerful attack by a long way, and should be used over Earthquake wherever possible, unless the target resists Flying. Acrobatics Archen detests Stealth Rock, as it makes it even more vulnerable to priority; as such, Rapid Spin users make great teammates. Steel-types check Archen easily, as non-STAB Earthquake is not overly powerful, and Pokemon such as Pawniard can easily KO in return with Iron Head. Ponyta and Magnemite can easily switch into Steel-types, while Houndour can easily force them out if it gets the chance to switch in. Teammates that can counter priority users, including Croagunk, Tirtouga, and Murkrow, are necessary to let Archen sweep. Fighting-types are useful as they can check Rock- and Steel-types that can take an attack from Archen and KO back.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Head Smash is a superlatively strong STAB attack—roughly as strong as Flying Gem-boosted Acrobatics—but the 50% recoil drags Archen into Defeatist range almost immediately. A Choice Scarf set has merit in that it would outspeed +1 Scraggy and Snover, but Archen is already very weak to Stealth Rock and it appreciates being able to switch moves. It has a high Special Attack stat, and it might be able to use a Hidden Power for super effective coverage, if desired, but Archen's Attack is just so much higher and it has a considerably better physical movepool. On top of its superlative attacking stats, it also has boosting moves, including Agility and Hone Claws; however, with its miserable bulk without Eviolite, it's easily knocked into Defeatist range. The same applies for support moves such as Taunt and Tailwind. The Eviolite set can be used with more offensive EVs if you don't mind Archen losing the ability to perfectly counter Murkrow.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>The top counter to Archen is Bronzor, which takes a pittance from any attack and can damage it in return with Flash Cannon. Other than Bronzor, nothing can reliably counter Archen—taking one attack from it is hard enough. Any of Lileep, Tirtouga, and Shellder can take a hit from it and KO in return. Ferroseed, Porygon, Slowpoke, and Frillish are able to cripple Archen through status or directly attacking to push it into Defeatist range. Magnemite can wall Archen that lack Earthquake, but is easily KOed if the latter does run it.</p>

<p>Archen has considerably more checks than counters; Staryu, Elekid, Drilbur, Misdreavus, and Dwebble can outspeed and KO Archen after Stealth Rock. Misdreavus can also burn it, making it essentially dead-weight. Choice Scarf users, including Snover and Chinchou, are able to easily outpace and KO Archen. A few Pokemon, namely Timburr, Scraggy, Foongus, and Shroomish, can take any hit other than Flying Gem-boosted Acrobatics and cripple Archen. Its main weakness is Defeatist, and anything, particularly powerful priority and Stealth Rock, which hastens lowering its HP, will help to mitigate it as a threat.</p>

[Overview]

• Has Base 112 Attack and Base 75 Speed
  • Has a really, really bad ability; Defeatist
  • Weak to Stealth Rock
  • Frail without Eviolite
  • Got Roost and Stealth Rock in BW2
  • Only Flying-resist that gets a Recovery move (besides Rest)
  • Good check to Murkrow
  • Priority bait

[SET]
Name: Eviolite
Move 1: Stone Edge
Move 2: Roost
Move 3: Acrobatics
Move 4: U-turn/Stealth Rock
Item: Eviolite
Ability: Defeatist
Nature: Adamant
EV's: 76 HP/ 180 Atk/ 196 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

• Makes use of Roost.
  • Roost helps if Archen gets knocked down into Defeatist range
  • Stone Edge hurts a lot.
  • Acrobatics does basically as much damage as Pluck
  • If Eviolite gets Knocked Off, Acrobatics is more powerful
  • U-turn gives you switch advantage
  • Stealth Rock is a good move in general. Archen gets them up fast.

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

• Spread gives Archen 22 Attack, and 16 Speed
  • 16 speed outspeeds Jolly Scraggy, and most Mienfoo
  • With Eviolite, Archen gets 23/16/16
  • 16 Speed isn't essential, so you can drop it for more defense
  • Last slot is basically filler, so a lot of stuff could go there
  • Crunch hits Misdreavus more reliably
  • Knock Off screws up some Pokemon real bad (like Choice Scarfers)
  • Rock Slide can be used over Stone Edge for more accuracy and flinch chance
  • Earthquake can be used for reliable damage, and hits Chinchou and Magnemite.
  • Stone Edge + Earthquake hits a lot of Pokemon
  • Pokemon that hate Fighting Types (like Mienfoo and Croagunk) work well with Archen
  • Archen hates Stealth Rock, so spinners like Staryu and Drilbur help it out.
  • Pokemon that set up entry hazards like Dwebble and Ferroseed help Archen KO Pokemon easier
  • Houndour and Magnemite help out killing Steel-Types that stop Archen cold.

[SET]
Name: Acrobatics
Move 1: Acrobatics
Move 2: Stone Edge/Rock Slide
Move 3: Earthquake
Move 4: U-turn/Roost
Item: Flying Gem/Oran Berry
Ability: Defeatist
Nature: Jolly
EV's: 76 HP/ 180 Atk/ 196 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

• Acrobatics hurts a lot coming from STAB and 22 Attack
  • Stone Edge is a good alternative STAB
  • Rock Slide has more accuracy and a chance to flinch, but there's a significant power drop.
  • Earthquake hurts things that resist Acrobatics, like Chinchou and Magnemite
  • U-turn is good for scouting
  • Roost helps for continual switches into Stealth Rock, and if you don't have Oran Berry.
  • Flying Gem makes Acrobatics even more powerful
  • Oran Berry gives you instant recovery, as opposed to Roost, which you need a turn to heal

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

• The spread gives it 20 Attack, and 17 Speed
  • Acrobatics basically hurts more than any other non-STAB Super-Effective move, assuming the Pokemon doesn't resist Flying.
  • Archen hates Stealth Rock even more, so Rapid Spinners like Staryu and Drilbur are great.
  • Pokemon like Ferroseed and Dwebble help get hazards up, and makes it easier for Archen to OHKO, or 2KO.
  • Steel-Types killers like Houndour, Magnemite and Ponyta help out Archen.
  • Fighting-types also help out Archen, as they kill Rock-Types and do some damage to Steel-Types.
  • Archen is priority-bait, so having team mates to kill off priority users like Croagunk, Tirtouga, and Murkrow helps Archen sweep.

[Other Options]

• Head Smash is powerful, but it puts Archen into Defeatist way to quickly
  • It can run a Choice Scarf, but it's kind of useless.
  • Archen's special move pool isn't “bad”, but it's physical move pool is bigger, better and has a lot more Attack than Special Attack.
  • It can try to pull of a boosting set, with like Agility or Hone Claws, but it has trouble finding time to set up, it's way too frail and then it just becomes more priority-bait.
  • It has moves like Taunt and Tailwind, which you could use, but it doesn't fit Archen.
  • Archen can run a more bulky spread with some other moves like Knock Off and Stealth Rock, if your not using Archen for offensive purposes.

[Checks and Counters]

• Staryu, Elekid, and Diglett outspeed and kill it (idk bout Diglett /w Rock Slide, but it does a lot)
  • Misdreavus outspeeds and majorly damages it with Shadow Ball or Thunderbolt
  • Choice Scarfers really mess Archen up
  • Magnemite destroys Archen if it doesn't have Earthquake
  • Dwebble outspeeds Archen, and can kill it with a Rock Blast
  • Will-o-Wisp makes it garbage without even being knocked into Defeatist
  • Stealth Rock eat into it like breakfast
  • Priority hurts it a lot. Aqua Jets, Mach Punches, and Sucker Punches deal a lot of damage to it, which Archen can't do much about, since it's move pool consists of mainly attacking moves.
  • Lileep is bulky enough to take a hit and hurt it majorly with Ancientpower
  • Tirtouga destroys it with Aqua Jet after a Shell Smash.
  • Shellder can also Shell Smash and destroy it with Icicle Spear.
  • Pokemon that can ensure they can live a hit can either hurt it majorly, or set-up on it, like Focus Sash Abra, or Shell Smash Dwebble.
  • Slowpoke and Frillish have enough defence to live a hit and kill with Scald.
  • Porygon can take anything and hurt Archen with Ice Beam
  • Timburr can take anything but a Flying Gem Acro, and hurt it with Drain Punch + Mach Punch
  • Ferroseed can live a hit and paralyse it.
  • Foongus or Shroomish can live anything from Eviolite, and Spore/Stun Spore Archen.
  • Scraggy can take anything but an Acrobatics, and set up on it.
  • Drilbur can be a problem, if it gets a Swords Dance up
  • Bronzor walls it forever.
  • Basically if it's brought down to Defeatist, and it can not recover it's health, it does not pose as a threat in any way.

I feel bad for this since no one has helped it, so I shall help with Checks and Counters (since everything is fine).

Remove the mention of HP Rock on Lileep, it's pointless to use that with AncientPower available. Also, Misdreavus would just use Thunderbolt to hit it hard, so Shadow Ball doesn't really need a mention.

I feel bad for this since no one has helped it, so I shall help with Checks and Counters (since everything is fine).

Remove the mention of HP Rock on Lileep, it's pointless to use that with AncientPower available. Also, Misdreavus would just use Thunderbolt to hit it hard, so Shadow Ball doesn't really need a mention.
Ok, totally makes sense with the Ancientpower on Lileep, I have used HP Rock for so long, I forgot that it is not very good lol

With Missy, I think HP Fighting is more common than Thunderbolt, so I still mentioned Shadow Ball, I am almost positive that Shadow Ball still knocks Archen into Defeatist even on the Eviolite set D:

Actually, you're right. Shadow Ball still does a bunch of damage, boosted or non. But HP Fight isn't really a good way to counter it. Thunderbolt is still the best counter.

Code:
240SpAtk lvl 5 Misdreavus (Neutral) Shadow Ball vs 76HP/0SpDef Eviolite lvl 5 Archen (Neutral): 43% - 56% (10 - 13 HP). Guaranteed 3HKO. 18% chance to 2HKO.
240SpAtk +2 lvl 5 Misdreavus (Neutral) Shadow Ball vs 76HP/0SpDef Eviolite lvl 5 Archen (Neutral): 82% - 104% (19 - 24 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO. 20% chance to OHKO.
240SpAtk lvl 5 Misdreavus (Neutral) Hidden Power (Fighting) vs 76HP/0SpDef Eviolite lvl 5 Archen (Neutral): 26% - 34% (6 - 8 HP). Guaranteed 4HKO.
240SpAtk +2 lvl 5 Misdreavus (Neutral) Hidden Power (Fighting) vs 76HP/0SpDef Eviolite lvl 5 Archen (Neutral): 47% - 60% (11 - 14 HP). Guaranteed 3HKO. 29% chance to 2HKO.
240SpAtk lvl 5 Misdreavus (Neutral) Thunderbolt vs 76HP/0SpDef Eviolite lvl 5 Archen (Neutral): 69% - 86% (16 - 20 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.
240SpAtk +2 lvl 5 Misdreavus (Neutral) Thunderbolt vs 76HP/0SpDef Eviolite lvl 5 Archen (Neutral): 139% - 165% (32 - 38 HP). Guaranteed OHKO.
tl;dr
  • Unboosted, Shadow Ball doesn't do a bunch.
  • Boosted is rape
  • HP Fight does nothing
  • Boosted still does nothing
  • Thunderbolt is rape
  • Boosted Thunderbolt is pure rape

Ray Jay

"Jump first, ask questions later, oui oui!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
That first set is crazy slashy lol. Try:

Move 1: Stone Edge (Rock Slide AC)
Move 2: Roost (making a recovery move the number 1 move is silly)
Move 3: Pluck (Earthquake AC)
Move 4: U-turn / Stealth Rock

Changes will be made once I get back to my normal computer.

@Gengan: yeah HP Fighting isn't going to do much, but most Misdreavus carry HP Fighting or Thunderbolt. If you carry Tbolt, use it :), but if your Missy carries HP Fighting (which I think is more now), Shadow Ball will suffice :)

@RayJay: Yeah, me, prem, and EM love our slashes :) I will get rid of most of the slashes and fix the order :)

*EDIT* It's done now ^.^

michael

m as in mancy
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Actually, you're right. Shadow Ball still does a bunch of damage, boosted or non. But HP Fight isn't really a good way to counter it. Thunderbolt is still the best counter.

Code:
240SpAtk lvl 5 Misdreavus (Neutral) Shadow Ball vs 76HP/0SpDef Eviolite lvl 5 Archen (Neutral): 43% - 56% (10 - 13 HP). Guaranteed 3HKO. 18% chance to 2HKO.
240SpAtk +2 lvl 5 Misdreavus (Neutral) Shadow Ball vs 76HP/0SpDef Eviolite lvl 5 Archen (Neutral): 82% - 104% (19 - 24 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO. 20% chance to OHKO.
240SpAtk lvl 5 Misdreavus (Neutral) Hidden Power (Fighting) vs 76HP/0SpDef Eviolite lvl 5 Archen (Neutral): 26% - 34% (6 - 8 HP). Guaranteed 4HKO.
240SpAtk +2 lvl 5 Misdreavus (Neutral) Hidden Power (Fighting) vs 76HP/0SpDef Eviolite lvl 5 Archen (Neutral): 47% - 60% (11 - 14 HP). Guaranteed 3HKO. 29% chance to 2HKO.
240SpAtk lvl 5 Misdreavus (Neutral) Thunderbolt vs 76HP/0SpDef Eviolite lvl 5 Archen (Neutral): 69% - 86% (16 - 20 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.
240SpAtk +2 lvl 5 Misdreavus (Neutral) Thunderbolt vs 76HP/0SpDef Eviolite lvl 5 Archen (Neutral): 139% - 165% (32 - 38 HP). Guaranteed OHKO.
tl;dr
  • Unboosted, Shadow Ball doesn't do a bunch.
  • Boosted is rape
  • HP Fight does nothing
  • Boosted still does nothing
  • Thunderbolt is rape
  • Boosted Thunderbolt is pure rape
Well, the way I see it, there are two common Missy sets, as of the August usage stats: straight NP + 3 attacks, and NP + WoW. Both of these cripple Archen, hitting it with either Thunderbolt or Will 'o' Wisp. Heck, even Shadow Ball does enough to put it into Defeatist range after Stealth Rock or the slightest residual damage. Also it appears that both HP Fighting and Thunderbolt are pretty much equally common (Hidden Power Fighting 59.482% vs Thunderbolt 58.400%). Pretty sure any Misdreavus set apart from like RestTalk CM can serve as an excellent check to Archen.

prem

failed abortion
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
overview

• change the worst ability to one of the worst cause slow start is much worse
  • edgequake isnt really that important especially seeing as how its better set (evio) doesnt even run it.
  • its not frail as fuck so remove that
  • mention it is the only flying resist with recovery, so its a cool murkrow check.
  • make it obvious that it checks murkrow cause lol thats the reason why i even made the set with em.
evio

• i personally think sr is better than uturn for archen, so i would slash it first, but if other qc says otherwise idgaf.
  • change pluck with acrobatics. i know i said pluck at first but charmander made me realize acro is better. more pokemon run knock off than oran berry and they deal the same damage otherwise
  • move head smash to OO. this archen is supposed to soak hits, so instantly getting it into defeatist range is just never going to be worth it.
  • agility in OO or acro set.
  • mention how it checks mienfoo and croagunk well in AC so teammates that dont like them (scraggy) are great partners for archen
  • mention knock off in ac
acro

• i want max speed for this set so it can speed tie with houndour and natu and stuff. the extra bulk is useless here.
  • again head smash in OO.
  • mention hazard support from ferroseed and shelmet and stuff cause this archen likes it.
OO

• good enough, just dont be so concise in the writing
C&C

• magnemite shits on this thing without eq
  • dwebble outspeeds evio and kills with rockblast, while you cant kill it. also sets up hazards
  • choice scarf lols at you
  • timbur will take anything but gem acro (idk if it can take it without the gem) and drain punch, and if they know its acro, mach punch will put it in defeatist
  • elekid and diglett beat you cause they are faster
  • foongus and shroomish both can take anything from eivolite and spore/para you
  • you do check drilbur but it still puts you in defeatist range and if its running swords dance you are fucked.
  • porygon takes hits and scrubs you with ice beam
  • shellder and its fucking icicle spear.

aftera ll that i think it looks good soooooooooo

[qc]1/3[/qc]

Prem's stuff is put into it now. Thanks prem for actually looking at it lol

Also regarding the OO, I sometimes just write that way without noticing lol

perhaps mention in AC of the Eviolite set that 16 Speed isn't mandatory, and if the team Archen on needs it to be a little bulkier it can easily drop Speed EVs and invest them in defenses.

anyways
[qc]2/3[/qc]

Also minor nitpick, but its U-turn, not U-Turn

phoopes

I did it again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
RoA Leader
Going to be taking over for KT14. Will have it written out in the next day or two, most likely.

little gk

competitive oosos player
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
this is going to be reassigned. someone just tell me, em, or blara, or someone if you want to do it i guess...

Mikel told me he's still working on this so I'll comment here

I know this has already been approved by QC, but I have some issues with the Eviolite set. Archen was blessed with the typing and learnset to be probably the only Pokemon to flat-out counter Subroost Murkrow, but the current set doesn't do a good job of it. The spread on the analysis is KOd by a sequence of Stealth Rock, Brave Bird, hail, Brave Bird, which means Murkrow always wins when Archen switches in. Stone Edge also doesn't make sense to me, as Murkrow can PP stall it out pretty effortlessly, especially since its accuracy is poor by competitive standards.

To fix the EVs, 236 HP / 100 Atk / 76 Def / 76 SpD can always switch into a Brave Bird from Subroost Krow in hail with rocks down and get a Roost off (even if Murkrow outspeeds and Brave Birds again the turn you use Roost) so you always win unless they score a crit. The spread is also more specially bulky and still powerful. Additionally, I think Rock Slide should replace Stone Edge (don't even slash it lol) for the improved accuracy and PP that Archen desperately needs to wreck Krow.

edit: ok I agree with prem; slash Stone Edge I guess. I was thinking kinda inside the box on that

michael

m as in mancy
k i just finished writing this up (yes i'm slow, yes this thing is a nightmare, yes i have little motivation to actually play these days).

running this by QC (to make it official) then i'll get this done

prem

failed abortion
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
i agree with all of that besides not slashing stone edge, because stone edge is better against everything BUT subroost krow.

tehy

Banned deucer.
DID SOMEBODY SAY...
No, wait, he only said GP. (And this is an Amcheck so I hate to use the term GP anyhow)

Also nice, not many errors. (Your avatar is oddly distracting) And where's the <P> at?

[Overview]

On the surface, Archen looks as though it would dominate Little Cup. It has the second highest base Attack stat in the metagame, accompanied by high Special Attack and Speed. Its typing also allowmakes it toa check to Murkrow—one of few with reliable recovery—and it also has a powerful STAB attack in Stone Edge. Access to Stealth Rock via a move tutor and decent bulk (even greater under sand) make it a solid offensive pivot. However, Archen has one of the worst abilities in the game, halving its Attack and Special Attack when under 50% HP, although this is somewhat mitigated by Roost; i. It is also weak to Stealth Rock, is somewhat frail without Eviolite, and is vulnerable to powerful priority attacks, which can knock it into Defeatist range before it can attack. Overall, Archen fits a niche in Little Cup as a reasonably bulky pivot and powerful attacker, but must be wary of the powerful attackers in the metagame.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

Upon gaining access to Roost in BW2, Archen's viability shot up; its crippling ability, Defeatist, can now be mitigated with reliable recovery, and it can utilize this to be able to check the powerful Flying-types in the metagame repeatedly. It is never 2HKOed by Murkrow's Brave Bird after Stealth Rock and hail, meaning it can Roost out of danger and KO with Rock Slide. Stone Edge is a considerably more powerful STAB, but is easily PP stalled by SubRoost Murkrow. Acrobatics is an secondary STAB attack, which lets Archen hit Fighting- and Grass-types super effectively, and if Eviolite is removed via Knock Off, will always OHKO Impish Mienfoo, as well as Quiet Croagunk and Jolly Scraggy. Pluck can be used here, but the only Pokemon which use Berries are Bronzor and Dwebble, which both beat it anyway. U-turn allows Archen to seize momentum gained by forcing out Murkrow and other Flying-types; however, Archen can also use these forced switches to set up Stealth Rock.

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

The listed EV spread gives Archen enough bulk to avoid the 2HKO from Murkrow, with the remaining EVs invested in its great Attack and decent Special Defense. The last slot is mostly a filler, and can be filled with many other moves: Crunch hits Misdreavus far more reliably than Stone Edge; Knock Off cripples Choice Scarf users and Pokemon that rely on Eviolite, such as Mienfoo; finally, Earthquake can be used to make the EdgeQuake combo, hitting the entire metagame (bar Bronzor) neutrally, and hitsting specific threats including Magnemite and Chinchou super effectively.

The best teammates for Archen are those that are threatened by Flying-types; Mienfoo and Croagunk benefit massively from having Archen there to cushion attacks from Murkrow and Drifloon, and can take on Rock-type attacks for it. As Archen is severely hindered by Stealth Rock, spinners, such as Drilbur—which can cushion Rock- and Electric-type attacks—and Staryu make excellent teammates. Conversely, having entry hazards set up by Ferroseed or Dwebble make Archen less reliant on 2HKOs and the poor reliability of Stone Edge. It's walled by bulky Steel-types, including Magnemite, Bronzor, and Pawniard; Houndour is a great offensive check to them, while your own Magnemite can trap and set up on both Bronzor and slower Pawniard.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

Archen makes a superb dedicated attacker in its own right. With Acrobatics coming off 20 Attack, along with a STAB and Flying Gem boost, it has one of the most powerful attacks in the metagame, often OHKOing even Eviolite Misdreavus after Stealth Rock. Stone Edge is a powerful secondary STAB attack, providing good neutral coverage and allowing it to check Murkrow in a pinch, KOing after Stealth Rock even in Defeatist range. Earthquake completes Archen's coverage, KOing Magnemite effortlessly, and hitting Chinchou for good damage. The final slot is somewhat of a filler; U-turn lets Archen scout its checks, while Roost gives it more survivability. Flying Gem boosts Acrobatics tremendously, although Oran Berry gives Archen a second chance by taking it out of Defeatist range once.

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

The EV spread listed maximises Attack and Speed, and places the remaining EVs in HP. Acrobatics is Archen's most reliable and powerful attack by a long way, and should be used over Earthquake wherever possible, unless the target resists Flying. Acrobatics Archen detests Stealth Rock, as it makes it even more vulnerable to priority; as such, Rapid Spin users make great teammates. Steel-types check Archen easily, as non-STAB Earthquake is not overly powerful, and Pokemon such as Pawniard can easily KO in return with Iron Head. Ponyta and Magnemite can easily switch into Steel-types, while Houndour can easily force them out if it gets the chance to switch in. Teammates that can counter priority users, including Croagunk, Tirtouga, and Murkrow, are necessary to let Archen sweep. Fighting-types are useful as they can check Rock- and Steel-types that can take an attack from Archen and KO back.

[Other Options]

Head Smash is a superlatively strong STAB attack—roughly as strong as Flying Gem-boosted Acrobatics—but the 50% recoil drags Archen into Defeatist range almost immediately. A Choice Scarf set has merit in that it would outspeed +1 Scraggy and Snover, but it is already very weak to Stealth Rock and it appreciates being able to switch moves. It has a high Special Attack stat, and it might be able to use a Hidden Power for super effective coverage, if desired, but Archen's Attack is just so much higher and it has a considerably better physical movepool. On top of its superlative attacking stats, it also has boosting moves, including Agility and Hone Claws; however, with its miserable bulk without Eviolite, it's easily knocked into Defeatist range. The same applies for support moves such as Taunt and Tailwind. The Eviolite set can be used with more offensive EVs, if you don't mind losing the ability to perfectly counter Murkrow.

[Checks and Counters]

The top counter to Archen is Bronzor, which takes a pittance from any attack and can damage it in return with Flash Cannon. Other than Bronzor, nothing can reliably counter Archen—taking one attack from it is hard enough. Any of Lileep, Tirtouga, and Shellder can take a hit from it and KO in return. Ferroseed, Porygon, Slowpoke, and Frillish are able to cripple Archen through status or directly attacking to push it into Defeatist range. Magnemite can wall Archen that lack Earthquake, but is easily KOed if indeed it does run it.
Archen has rather considerably more checks than counters; Staryu, Elekid, Drilbur, Misdreavus, and Dwebble can outspeed and KO Archen after Stealth Rock (Misdreavus can also burn it, making it essentially dead-weight). Choice Scarf users, including Snover and Chinchou, are able to easily outpace and KO it. A few Pokemon, namely Timburr, Scraggy, Foonguss, and Shroomish, can take any hit other than Flying Gem boosted Acrobatics and cripple Archen. Its main weakness is Defeatist, and anything, particularly powerful priority and Stealth Rock, which helps to hastens lowering its HP, will help to mitigate it as a threat.

Comments:
Not sure what to do with your second sentence, it needs something done it it though
Superlatively strong? Not really sure if that's a great word for it

I will work on top of tehy's amateur check to give this its first GP check.

Deletions
Additions / Corrections
Comments

[Overview]

On the surface, Archen looks as though it would dominate Little Cup. It has the second highest base Attack stat in the metagame, accompanied by high Special Attack and Speed. Its typing also allows it to checkMurkrow—one of few with reliable recovery—and it also has a powerful STAB attack in Stone Edge. Access to Stealth Rock via a move tutor and decent bulk (even greater under sand) make it a solid offensive pivot. However, Archen has one of the worst abilities in the game, halving its Attack and Special Attack when under 50% HP; although this is somewhat mitigated by Roost, itis also weak to Stealth Rock, is somewhat frail without Eviolite, and is vulnerable to powerful priority attacks, which that can knock it into Defeatist range before it can attack. Overall, Archen fits a niche in Little Cup as a reasonably bulky pivot and powerful attacker, but must be wary of the powerful attackers in the metagame.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

Upon gaining access to Roost in BW2, Archen's viability shot up; its crippling ability, Defeatist, can now be mitigated with reliable recovery, and it can utilize this to be able to check the powerful Flying-types in the metagame repeatedly. It is never 2HKOed by Murkrow's Brave Bird after Stealth Rock and hail, meaning it can Roost out of danger and KO with Rock Slide. Stone Edge is a considerably more powerful STAB, but Archen is then easily PP stalled by SubRoost Murkrow. Acrobatics is an secondary STAB attack, which lets Archen hit Fighting- and Grass-types super effectively, and if Eviolite is removed via Knock Off, will always OHKO Impish Mienfoo, as well as Quiet Croagunk and Jolly Scraggy. Pluck can be used here, but the only Pokemon which use Berries are Bronzor and Dwebble, which both beat it Archen anyway. U-turn allows Archen to seize momentum gained by forcing out Murkrow and other Flying-types; however, Archen can also use these forced switches to set up Stealth Rock.

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

The listed EV spread gives Archen enough bulk to avoid the 2HKO from Murkrow, with the remaining EVs invested in its great Attack and decent Special Defense. The last slot is mostly a filler, and can be filled with many other moves: Crunch hits Misdreavus far more reliably than Stone Edge, Knock Off cripples Choice Scarf users and Pokemon that rely on Eviolite, such as Mienfoo, and finally, Earthquake can be used to make the EdgeQuake combo, hitting the entire metagame (bar Bronzor) neutrally, and hits specific threats including Magnemite and Chinchou super effectively.

The best teammates for Archen are those that are threatened by Flying-types; Mienfoo and Croagunk benefit massively from having Archen there to cushion attacks from Murkrow and Drifloon, and can take on Rock-type attacks for it. As Archen is severely hindered by Stealth Rock, spinners, such as Drilbur—which can cushion Rock- and Electric-type attacks—and Staryu make excellent teammates. Conversely, having entry hazards set up by Ferroseed or Dwebble make Archen less reliant on 2HKOs and the poor reliability accuracy of Stone Edge. It's also walled by bulky Steel-types, including Magnemite, Bronzor, and Pawniard; Houndour is a great offensive check to them, while your own Magnemite can trap and set up on both Bronzor and slower Pawniard.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

Archen makes a superb dedicated attacker in its own right. With Acrobatics coming off 20 Attack, along with a STAB and Flying Gem boosts, it has one of the most powerful attacks in the metagame, often OHKOing even Eviolite Misdreavus after Stealth Rock. Stone Edge is a powerful secondary STAB attack, providing good neutral coverage and allowing it Archen to check Murkrow in a pinch, KOing after Stealth Rock even in with Defeatist activated range. Earthquake completes Archen's coverage, KOing Magnemite effortlessly, and hitting Chinchou for good damage. The final slot is somewhat of a filler: (colon) U-turn lets Archen scout its checks, while Roost gives it more survivability longevity. Flying Gem boosts Acrobatics tremendously, although Oran Berry gives Archen a second chance by taking it out of Defeatist range once.

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

The EV spread listed maximizes Attack and Speed, and places the remaining EVs in HP. Acrobatics is Archen's most reliable and powerful attack by a long way, and should be used over Earthquake wherever possible, unless the target resists Flying. Acrobatics Archen detests Stealth Rock, as it makes it even more vulnerable to priority; as such, Rapid Spin users make great teammates. Steel-types check Archen easily, as non-STAB Earthquake is not overly powerful, and Pokemon such as Pawniard can easily KO in return with Iron Head. Ponyta and Magnemite can easily switch into Steel-types, while Houndour can easily force them out if it gets the chance to switch in. Teammates that can counter priority users, including Croagunk, Tirtouga, and Murkrow, are necessary to let Archen sweep. Fighting-types are useful as they can check Rock- and Steel-types that can take an attack from Archen and KO back.

[Other Options]

Head Smash is a superlatively strong STAB attack—roughly as strong as Flying Gem-boosted Acrobatics—but the 50% recoil drags Archen into Defeatist range almost immediately. A Choice Scarf set has merit in that it would outspeed +1 Scraggy and Snover, but it Archen is already very weak to Stealth Rock and it appreciates being able to switch moves. It has a high Special Attack stat, and it might be able to use a Hidden Power for super effective coverage, if desired, but Archen's Attack is just so much higher and it has a considerably better physical movepool. On top of its superlative attacking stats, it also has boosting moves, including Agility and Hone Claws; however, with its miserable bulk without Eviolite, it's easily knocked into Defeatist range. The same applies for support moves such as Taunt and Tailwind. The Eviolite set can be used with more offensive EVs, if you don't mind Archen (you refers to the user, not the Pokemon) losing the ability to perfectly counter Murkrow.

[Checks and Counters]

The top counter to Archen is Bronzor, which takes a pittance from any attack and can damage it in return with Flash Cannon. Other than Bronzor, nothing can reliably counter Archen—taking one attack from it is hard enough. Any of Lileep, Tirtouga, and Shellder can take a hit from it and KO in return. Ferroseed, Porygon, Slowpoke, and Frillish are able to cripple Archen through status or directly attacking to push it into Defeatist range. Magnemite can wall Archen that lack Earthquake, but is easily KOed if indeed it the latter does run it.

Archen has rather considerably more checks than counters; Staryu, Elekid, Drilbur, Misdreavus, and Dwebble can outspeed and KO Archen after Stealth Rock. (Misdreavus can also burn it, making it essentially dead-weight). Choice Scarf users, including Snover and Chinchou, are able to easily outpace and KO it Archen. A few Pokemon, namely Timburr, Scraggy, Foonguss, and Shroomish, can take any hit other than Flying Gem-boosted Acrobatics and cripple Archen. Its main weakness is Defeatist, and anything, particularly powerful priority and Stealth Rock, which helps to hastens lowering its HP, will help to mitigate it as a threat.

Don't forget to put the <p> </p> tags. One more thing: don't separate verb phrases with commas. Nice write-up otherwise.

GP 1 / 2

michael

m as in mancy
implemented the check.

with the change to the colon-semicolon listing in the 1st set AC, i strongly prefer my usage, as it is the standard for listing where the list objects have punctuation inside them. tried catching you on irc about it but i just missed you.

tehy

Banned deucer.
Well I'd just like to make a new post and say that there's one sentence in particular that really bothers me, and it's the overview sentence about checking Murkrow. I get exactly what you were trying to do there and I even think you could say all of that out loud and it wouldn't be wrong depending on how you used tones, pauses, etc, but in writing it just falls short.

Just think about it, at least

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
add
remove
comments

[Overview]

<p>On the surface, Archen looks as though it would dominate Little Cup. It has the second highest base Attack stat in the metagame, accompanied by high Special Attack and Speed. Its typing also allows it to check Murkrow—one of few with reliable recovery—and it also has a powerful STAB attack in Stone Edge. Access to Stealth Rock via a move tutor and decent bulk (even greater under sand) make it a solid offensive pivot. However, Archen has one of the worst abilities in the game, halving its Attack and Special Attack when under 50% HP; although this is somewhat mitigated by Roost, it is also weak to Stealth Rock, somewhat frail without Eviolite, and is vulnerable to powerful priority attacks that can knock it into Defeatist range before it can attack. Overall, Archen fits a niche in Little Cup as a reasonably bulky pivot and powerful attacker, but must be wary of the powerful attackers in the metagame.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Upon gaining access to Roost in BW2, Archen's viability shot up; its crippling ability, Defeatist, can now be mitigated with reliable recovery, and it can utilize this to be able to check the powerful Flying-types in the metagame repeatedly. It is never 2HKOed by Murkrow's Brave Bird after Stealth Rock and hail, meaning it can Roost out of danger and KO with Rock Slide. Stone Edge is a considerably more powerful STAB, but Archen is then easily PP stalled by SubRoost Murkrow. Acrobatics is a secondary STAB attack, which lets Archen hit Fighting- and Grass-types super effectively, and if Eviolite is removed via Knock Off, will always OHKO Impish Mienfoo, as well as Quiet Croagunk and Jolly Scraggy. Pluck can be used here, but the only Pokemon which use Berries are Bronzor and Dwebble, both of which beat Archen anyway. U-turn allows Archen to seize momentum gained by forcing out Murkrow and other Flying-types; however, Archen can also use these forced switches to set up Stealth Rock.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The listed EV spread gives Archen enough bulk to avoid the 2HKO from Murkrow, with the remaining EVs invested in its great Attack and decent Special Defense. The last slot is mostly a filler and can be filled with many other moves: Crunch hits Misdreavus far more reliably than Stone Edge; Knock Off cripples Choice Scarf users and Pokemon that rely on Eviolite, such as Mienfoo; finally, Earthquake can be used to make the EdgeQuake combo, hitting the entire metagame bar Bronzor and Baltoy neutrally and hitting specific threats including Magnemite and Chinchou super effectively.</p>

<p>The best teammates for Archen are those that are threatened by Flying-types; Mienfoo and Croagunk benefit massively from having Archen there to cushion attacks from Murkrow and Drifloon and can take on Rock-type attacks for it. As Archen is severely hindered by Stealth Rock, spinners, such as Drilbur—which can cushion Rock- and Electric-type attacks—and Staryu, make excellent teammates. Conversely, having entry hazards set up by Ferroseed or Dwebble make Archen less reliant on 2HKOs and the poor accuracy of Stone Edge. It's also walled by bulky Steel-types, including Magnemite, Bronzor, and Pawniard; Houndour is a great offensive check to them, while your own Magnemite can trap and set up on both Bronzor and slower Pawniard.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Archen makes a superb dedicated attacker in its own right. With Acrobatics coming off 20 Attack, along with STAB and Flying Gem, it has one of the most powerful attacks in the metagame, often OHKOing even Eviolite Misdreavus after Stealth Rock. Stone Edge is a powerful secondary STAB attack, providing good neutral coverage and allowing Archen to check Murkrow in a pinch, KOing after Stealth Rock with Defeatist activated. Earthquake completes Archen's coverage, KOing Magnemite effortlessly and hitting Chinchou for good damage. The final slot is somewhat of a filler: U-turn lets Archen scout its checks, while Roost gives it more longevity. Flying Gem boosts Acrobatics tremendously, although Oran Berry gives Archen a second chance by taking it out of Defeatist range once.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EV spread listed maximizes Attack and Speed, and places the remaining EVs in HP. Acrobatics is Archen's most reliable and powerful attack by a long way, and should be used over Earthquake wherever possible, unless the target resists Flying. Acrobatics Archen detests Stealth Rock, as it makes it even more vulnerable to priority; as such, Rapid Spin users make great teammates. Steel-types check Archen easily, as non-STAB Earthquake is not overly powerful, and Pokemon such as Pawniard can easily KO in return with Iron Head. Ponyta and Magnemite can easily switch into Steel-types, while Houndour can easily force them out if it gets the chance to switch in. Teammates that can counter priority users, including Croagunk, Tirtouga, and Murkrow, are necessary to let Archen sweep. Fighting-types are useful as they can check Rock- and Steel-types that can take an attack from Archen and KO back.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Head Smash is a superlatively strong STAB attack—roughly as strong as Flying Gem-boosted Acrobatics—but the 50% recoil drags Archen into Defeatist range almost immediately. A Choice Scarf set has merit in that it would outspeed +1 Scraggy and Snover, but Archen is already very weak to Stealth Rock and it appreciates being able to switch moves. It has a high Special Attack stat, and it might be able to use a Hidden Power for super effective coverage, if desired, but Archen's Attack is just so much higher and it has a considerably better physical movepool. On top of its superlative attacking stats, it also has boosting moves, including Agility and Hone Claws; however, with its miserable bulk without Eviolite, it's easily knocked into Defeatist range. The same applies for support moves such as Taunt and Tailwind. The Eviolite set can be used with more offensive EVs if you don't mind Archen losing the ability to perfectly counter Murkrow.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>The top counter to Archen is Bronzor, which takes a pittance from any attack and can damage it in return with Flash Cannon. Other than Bronzor, nothing can reliably counter Archen—taking one attack from it is hard enough. Any of Lileep, Tirtouga, and Shellder can take a hit from it and KO in return. Ferroseed, Porygon, Slowpoke, and Frillish are able to cripple Archen through status or directly attacking to push it into Defeatist range. Magnemite can wall Archen that lack Earthquake, but is easily KOed if the latter does run it.</p>

<p>Archen has considerably more checks than counters; Staryu, Elekid, Drilbur, Misdreavus, and Dwebble can outspeed and KO Archen after Stealth Rock. Misdreavus can also burn it, making it essentially dead-weight. Choice Scarf users, including Snover and Chinchou, are able to easily outpace and KO Archen. A few Pokemon, namely Timburr, Scraggy, Foongus, and Shroomish, can take any hit other than Flying Gem-boosted Acrobatics and cripple Archen. Its main weakness is Defeatist, and anything, particularly powerful priority and Stealth Rock, which hastens lowering its HP, will help to mitigate it as a threat.</p>

[gp]2/2[/gp]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)