First post... First RMT

Hi, as the title says this is my first RMT. I haven't been playing competitively too long but this team seems to be doing quite well on Pokemon Showdown but I think it can be a lot better.

I've tried to incorporate a few themes in here that I've seen used and this team has been tweaked a bit to get where it is now. But without further ado onto the team

Breloom @Leftovers
Technician
EV's: 252HP/252Atk/4Spe
Adamant
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Swords Dance
- Spore

Techni-loom! I've tried it once before and found it to be very effective and as one of the things I wanted to try to incorporate in the team was a FWG core I decided this would be my grass type pokemon pretty soon. It's great at coming in on a resist and firing off a swords dance before wreaking havoc or it also functions well as a late-game sweeper against weakened pokes with it's technician boosted Mach Punch. With the EV investment in HP it's also bulky enough to take a fair chunk of neutral hits (and very occasionally the odd super-effective one too). Bullet Seed is my other STAB and works great for breaking subs when it's needed but Mach Punch is the primary attack here. I chose Leftovers over a Life Orb as it provides me a bit more longetivity and if I manage to use it as a late game sweeper it should, in theory, allow for more SD set ups or the opponents pokes should be weakened and I don't need to worry about the extra power.

Infernape @Choice Scarf
Blaze
EV's: 252Atk/4Sp.A/252Spe
Naive
- Close Combat
- U-Turn
- Stone Edge
- Overheat

Infernape is obviously the fire part of the FWG core that I was aiming for. It sometimes serves as a lead because I can outspeed a lot of other pokes with it due to the Choice Scarf and hit hard or U-Turn away if need be. I've found that Infernape with a scarf outspeeds a lot of things that have surprised me, including a lot of Chlorophyll abusers (I believe, if I have calculated correctl my Scarf Infernape with the beneficial speed nature outspeeds a neutral nature max-speed Venusaur by a point), which is nice when I have Overheat in waiting. It functions really as a revenge killer that just wants to get in an get out again. With U-Turn it is 1 part of my Volt-turners. Stone Edge is used for coverage but to be honest it's rarely used.

Jolteon @Expert Belt
Volt Absorb
EV's: 4HP/252Sp.A/252Spe
Timid
Volt Switch
Thunderbolt
Hidden Power Ice 70
Shadow Ball

I'd been wanting to try this out for a while and when I decided on using U-Turn with Infernape I decided to try choice banded Jolteon as by Volt Switch user. It's worked pretty well, it hits hard and fast and like Infernape it can be a good revenge killer. I have occasionally used Jolteon as a lead just to either hit hard with one of it's other attacks or I just Volt-Switch out. I have decided to use Shadow Ball to SE hit ghost types and Psychic types. I originally ran Signal Beam and I once had a very tough time against an eviolite Dusclops and Shadow Ball could have helped a lot. The main advantage I see for running Signal Beam is to hit Celebi which gives me problems when I usually see it. HP Ice for BoltBeam coverage. I started with Choice Specs but someone reocmmended that I test using Expert Belt or Life Orb so that's where I'm at. I chose Expert Belt because I can still bluff being choiced, which has worked out on occasion. For example a Gliscor switch in, but overall the drop in power might be an issue.

Gastrodon @Leftovers
Storm Drain
EV's: 92HP/164Def/252Sp.A
Calm
- Earth Power
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Recover

This is a replica of a Gastrodon I have in game, which is based off of a Gastrodon I saw in another forum. The EV's are taken from there and they seem to be done to balance the defences, add bulk and then max out the Sp.A. My in-game Gastrodon had a Calm nature but Modest might be preferable. Gastrodon is the original water part of the FWG core and it also acts as a nice counter to rain teams and occasionally sandstorm teams. EP and Scald are the obvious STABS and a burn from Scald helps a lot. Ice Beam is for coverage and to hit dragon's with. I don't get to use Recover too much because I just expect Gastrodon to be too slow to make good use of it so I've considered using Protect to get a free turn of leftovers recovery. Although it doesn't happen to often this Gastrodon can hit very hard if I can predict an incoming water attack. I rarely use Recover so I have wondered abotu throwing an HP in there, Grass for example to hit waters back that I switch in to but as of yet I'm undecided.

Starmie @Leftovers
Natural Cure
EV's: 252Sp.A/4Sp.D/252Spe
Timid
- Rapid Spin
- Surf
- Thunderbolt
- Psychic

A little bit of entry hazards never hurt anyone... but a lot can kill you! This thought kind of sums up why Starmie is here - it's my spinner. Hazards don't pose a major threat to my team but I'd rather not take the damage that they give out and if another poke (i.e. the 6th one!) on my team becomes set-up fodder then I can find myself up against a lot of hazards very quickly. I ended up choosing Starmie due to it's speed. I tried Forretress but I wasn't happy with it's very slow speed and it's poorer special defence. And whilst Tentacruel could be an option I could do without another Ground weakness. The rest of the moves are STAB and coverage. I chose Psychic over Ice Beam because I have nothing else to hit opposing Fighting types with, although occasionally I think Ice Beam would be useful.

Skarmory @Leftovers
Sturdy
EV's: 252HP/232Sp.D/24Spe
Careful
- Stealth Rock
- Whirlwind
- Roost
- Brave Bird

I originally ran a Gliscor in this slot to be a defensive rock but it really wasn't working out so I started using Skarmory and haven't really looked back. Skarmory acts as my rock setter and mixed wall it seems to work pretty great. Sometimes I use Skarm as a lead to get rocks down early or bring it in on following a VoltTurn. Whirlwind is also proving useful against set-up pokes and those relatively rare but annoying Smash-Pass teams which I originally had issues with. With the nature and EV spread Skarmory is functioning great as a mixed wall too and doesn't have an awful 4x weakness like my last 6th poke, Gliscor. This is really useful because I believe my team is a little on the frail side (although Gastrodon and Breloom both take hits a lot better than I thought they might have done). It's also a ncie dragon resist too, which I didn't previously have. Gastrodon pretty much has it's weaknesses covered too which is nice.

Threats I've noticed:
- Celebi: Can be a real pain. I have pokes that can hit it but (although I haven't actually run calcs) I think it's pretty difficult to OHKO it. Depending on what it runs it can feasibly hit all of my team for SE, but I *think* that would require it to run a 4 attack set. Anyway it's versatility means that I usually don't know what to switch in to counter it.
- Lati@s: They're really quite bothersome too. A CM Roost Latias is my worst nightmare. If it starts boosting and Skarmory is down and therefore can't get in to whirlwind it I am in real trouble.
- Gyarados: Can be an issue but I'd like to think that I can handle it between Jolteon, Starmie, Gastrodon and Skarmory.
- Ghost types: In general bulky ghosts, Dusclops, Spiritomb, although not common can be a pain to take down.
- Reuniclus: Has a lot of potential to be an issue but when I cam across one before I managed to spore it, SD boost on it and then Bullet Seed it for the KO.
- Blissey/Chansey: Could be a problem if Infernape and Breloom were down. Never had that be the case though.
- I expect there's more but that's the top ones for now

That's it. I hope the descriptions are good enough to meet the rule requirements and I look forward to the feedback :)

Hey there pidj, nice team for your first post here at Smogon.I'm going to go through some changes I would suggest, the first weakness I can see is Mixed Venusaur under Sun with Hidden Power Fire as it can pretty much clean you up with SR support and a Growth (It may not even need a Growth depending on the health of your team members) to fix this I would suggest replacing your current Jolteon with a Specially Defensive Tyranitar, this change will make it much more easy for you against weather teams mainly sun which cause you problems as you got rain covered pretty well. Jolteon seems like it would be great to use against offensive rain teams but honestly the combination of Starmie/Gastrodon/Breloom should be able to play well against Rain anyways along with Infernape's ability to revenge the Genies.Another small change I would suggest is replacing Psychic on your current Starmie with Psyshock as it hits Amoongus harder.

Tyranitar @ Shed Shell | Sand Stream
Sassy | 252 Hp / 4 Atk / 252 SDef
Crunch | Pursuit | Fire Blast | Roar

Good Luck.

Hey there pidj, nice team for your first post here at Smogon.I'm going to go through some changes I would suggest, the first weakness I can see is Mixed Venusaur under Sun with Hidden Power Fire as it can pretty much clean you up with SR support and a Growth (It may not even need a Growth depending on the health of your team members) to fix this I would suggest replacing your current Jolteon with a Specially Defensive Tyranitar, this change will make it much more easy for you against weather teams mainly sun which cause you problems as you got rain covered pretty well. Jolteon seems like it would be great to use against offensive rain teams but honestly the combination of Starmie/Gastrodon/Breloom should be able to play well against Rain anyways along with Infernape's ability to revenge the Genies.Another small change I would suggest is replacing Psychic on your current Starmie with Psyshock as it hits Amoongus harder.

Tyranitar @ Shed Shell | Sand Stream
Sassy | 252 Hp / 4 Atk / 252 SDef
Crunch | Pursuit | Fire Blast | Roar

Good Luck.
Hi, thanks for the rate.

I had not considered using weather on this team but Tyranitar could be interesting. I'd contemplate using ice beam over fire blast though to help tackle dragons because I'd be losing one of my few dragon-killers if I drop Jolteon. I originally didn't want to make a weather team just to be different but I haven't used sand before so I think I'll try this out at some point even if just out of curiosity.

As for psyshock I'll give that a go too because it will also make Starmie pseudo-mixed which will probably help. My only concern using psyshock though would be how I fare against bulk up users. I'm mainly thinking of Conkeldurr here!

Once again thanks for the rate. Really good feedback for me.

Hey, cool team. The few threats I found to your team include the Lati twins, Gengar, Lucario, Landorus and Celebi. Latias and Celebi are hard for your team to hit in general and if Gengar gets a Substitute up it can be a nuisance. Lucario can set up a Swords Dance on Jolteon since it survives any of it's moves and just go to town on your team. Landorus can be really annoying to your team with the combination of U-turn + Earthquake.

First off, I recommend running an EV Spread of 252 HP / 4 Special Attack / 252 Special Defense on Gastrodon. The reason is so you can take Latias and Gengar's hits much easier. I also suggest using Toxic over Earth Power or Ice Beam on Gastrodon so you can cripple Latias and Latios instead of them plowing your team. Now, to combat Lucario, the minimal solution would to just slap a Choice Specs back on, but it is not too reliable since it takes 61.62 - 72.69% from an unboosted Extremespeed. The other way I see it is you can change your Jolteon into a Choice Scarf Heatran since it resists both Extremespeed and Bullet Punch and can OHKO back with Fire Blast. If you want to give it a shot, the set consists of Overheat / Earth Power / Hidden Power [Ice] / Flamethrower, with an EV Spread of 252 Special Attack / 4 Special Defense / 252 Speed, and a Timid Nature. It can also catch people off guard since most Heatran are usually Specially Defensive. Heatran also helps you out in demolishing Celebi with Heatran's STAB. My final suggestion is to make your Skarmory's EV Spread to 252 HP / 232 Defense / 24 Speed since it counters Landorus well, bar Gravity Variants, which can be revenge killed with HP Ice from Heatran. Special Attacks are mostly taken care of by Gastrodon now anyways.

As for other suggestions, you can possibly try out Hydro Pump over Starmie for the extra power. Hope I helped and good luck with the team.

Thanks for the rates guys.

Creating the mixed wall Skarmory was me worrying over my lack of competitive experience and just hoping to wall any hit but physically defensive is definitely something I will try out.

As for making Gastrodon more specially defensive I will look at that and I can certainly see the benefit of using toxic. Having the extra bulk would help with Recover too, which is a move that I don't really get to use too often.

Heatran is an interesting choice that I hadn't really considered but the set you've given Shining Latios looks good. I'll have to look in to that too.

And Sayonara, I originally made the team because of Breloom so it will be a tough choice to drop it but a CM Latias might be needed to get round the celebi/lati@s threats. My only concern with dropping Breloom would be losing my priority user which has been really useful. I have also used bullet seed to break subs and get a KO in one turn. Without that I'd need to look at walling common sub users instead I guess.

Thank you both for your rates and help!

I dont know if anybody mentioned this but Ill say it anyway. First I would switch Infernapes item to life orb and then change close combat to mach punch. Then I think you have too many pokemon with leftovers so I would give Starmie Choice Scarf and change psychic with ice beam. The boltbeam combo is lethel and I think you should utilize it. I am just giving feedback using the pokemon you already have. I also haven played in the recent metagame so I may be wrong. Congrats on your first RMT and good luck

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)