VGC Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer - Mark II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Conkeldurr is becoming more popular thanks to the release of BW2 in Japan, as a Swagger recipient. This is also because being afflicted by status only makes it more deadly thanks to Guts. Basically anything that can scare Tyranitar (since the best Swagger users are weak to Tyranitar).

Is Pokecheck not working for anyone else? I keep trying to get on but the URL can't be found. however, sprites.pokecheck still works. any info on whats going on? I really need to check some stuff.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Is Pokecheck not working for anyone else? I keep trying to get on but the URL can't be found. however, sprites.pokecheck still works. any info on whats going on? I really need to check some stuff.
It's working faster than ever for me. It's probably your internet connection
It's been on and off a lately due to a bunch of maintenance and updates and stuff. If it doesn't work, just try again in a few hours.

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
How early will the fall regional threads be up? And would the thread be the best place to seek out carpools?
Once we get an official confirmation on the regional locations from TPCi, the threads will be posted. And yes, the thread would probably be the best place to find that.

Quick question: what's a good EV spread for a bulky Thundurus in VGC12?
252 HP / 124 Def / 132 SDef with a Sitrus Berry is pretty standard

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Dunno how good you consider to be good, but I use the GBU as pretty much my sole means of testing. It feels a lot more like the actual tournament than a simulator does, and you run into a much wider variety of strategies.

I was just told that atm there is no VGC in Australia, but Smogon has its own metagame. So i was wondering if Smogons metagame is played over wifi or through a program like pokemon online?
Also what are the prizes usually like (if there is any)?

Thanks

I was just told that atm there is no VGC in Australia, but Smogon has its own metagame. So i was wondering if Smogons metagame is played over wifi or through a program like pokemon online?
Also what are the prizes usually like (if there is any)?
Smogon tiers are usually played on Pokemon Showdown. You can get to it here:
http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/lobby

And the only prizes are little virtual trophies you get under your name, but that's only if you win a really big tournament.

Oh, and I recommend you go to the appropriate forum to talk about whatever tier you choose to play. We can only really help you with VGC in here.

Aside from being mostly physical instead of special, what does Swampert bring to the table that Gastrodon doesn't? Who has more overall bulk?

So, I haven't been in the Pokemon scene since the last spring regionals. Is there a list of released dream world abilities? And if possible, can anyone give me an update of any game changing abilities released in the last few months?

New Dream world abilities in Black/White 2 for Gen 5 pokemon aren't permitted this fall, but ones from the Icy Cave (that aren't exclusive to BW2) are now released. I'd search bulbapedia for the list. I do know that Contrary Shuckle is released and some others like Pickpocket Weavile. Some Pokemon now have new abilities and Move Tutor moves like Sheer Force Landorus (really powerful Earth Power) however, I think it'd be classified as BW2 exclusive. Some that could end up really good in VGC are Heat Wave/Tailwind Hydreigon and TrickScarf Chandelure.

However, this fall it is only BW1 stuff, so the meta isn't that different.

Is Trainer ID RNG in BW2 the same as in Black and White? I want to get a cool ID when BW2 comes out in english(Don't want to restart my JP copy.)

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
Is Contrary Shuckle any good? Who could be Partnered up with it for a Good Combo and such?
I've considered Contrary Shuckle, and it's hard to justify over Sturdy Shuckle. The only moves that really work well for Contrary Shuckle is Shell Smash in conjunction with Guard Split (Power Split already works stupidly well without Shell Smash). Which is great for boosting an ally's defenses to a rediculous level (Eviolite Chansey comes to mind), but it's also a 2 turn setup to pull off; not an easy thing for the slowest Pokemon in the game without Trick Room support.

I wasn't able to come out for the VGC 2012 Regionals, but do you guys think I should go out to the 2013 Regionals? I haven't played in like 3 months, due to me having too much schoolwork, and getting ready for university. Reason I'm asking, is because I may be slightly rusty and wanted to make sure that I least do somewhat good this year, unlike VGC 2011 where I lost first round.

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
If the VGC2013 Regionals uses the Swiss system that VGC2012 Regionals did, then it's totally worth attending. The Swiss system keeps you from being outright eliminated due to a loss, so you can stay for the entire duration of the tournament and play (unless your local regional does a top cut).

Nationals are, of course, a different story.

Yeah. there is no reason for TPCi to change it back to single elimination. I think that might be what has kept people from playing in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)