Burning Water (A Sun RMT)

Hello! My name is Ambicrow. Although my contributions are low to smogon, i have been around with the smogon community for quite some time. I had lurked around here for around 6 months before actually creating an account, and I only created this account at first to create a RMT, and a bad one at that. After a while in the BW1 metagame, I went to the hermit caves and theorymonned for BW2, since the Japanese release was approaching. After finally coming out of my cave, I had discovered all of these new threats, like Tornadus-T and Thick Fat Mamoswine with SuperPower. I realized these threats are only as good as their respective weathers allowed them to be, so I made my own weather team, so these threats wouldn't be as useful. I was debating whether to make a team around a lilligant sweep in the sun or a nasty plot jinx in hail. As you can probably tell by the picture above and the title, I opted for the sooner, rather than the later. Without further ado, here is the team that Burned Water.

Team Preview

Team Building Process

I decided to base he team around a Quiver Dance Lilligant. The best way to abuse lilligant is usually under the sun, so i added a Ninetales to abuse Lilligant's chlorophyll ability.

I then decided to add Genesect and Dugtrio to make the infamous Heatran trapping core. I find this core to work very well on this team, since after genesects u-turn, dugtrio 2hko's all choiced politoeds, something that rain has trouble with. Although this core can't really take down bulky Politoed, Lilligant easily sets up 1-2 quiver dances on defensive politoed, so it's isn't a threat.

After that, I realized my team couldn't really take any fire moves, and had a terrible weakness to Mamoswine, a threat that I'd gladly like to avoid. So, I added offensive Traptran on a balloon. With a timid nature, this outruns all Adamant Mamoswines, and doesn't give 2 shits for its Stabs while on a balloon.

My final Pokemon was Golurk. Surprisingly, it did exactly what I needed in the last slot. As of this point in the team building, I was at a road block. Before I picked Golurk, I needed a physically offensive Stealth Rocker. At first I thought Terrakion, but then my team would be very weak to scarf Terrakion, in which none of my team would want to come in on that monster. So I chose Golurk, who has a very respectable base 124 Attack, amazing typing, especially under the sun, can set up SR, and can spin block.

I've made some changes! All changes are outlined below in the "In Depth" section in red.

In Depth
(Changes in Red)

Phosphorus (Ninetales) (F) @ Shed Shell
Trait: Drought
EVs: 100 HP/ 200 Def/ 108 Sp. Def/ 100 Spd
Calm Nature
- Fire Blast
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roar
- Pain Split

Appropriately named, my Ninetales lights the match under the stomachs of its teamates. As many of you may know, the tips of matches are made of Phosphorus. I consider my team a match. Ninetales is the tip of the match, slowly sending the flame downward, until it reaches the bottom, where then it it burns the match unto itself. Once the flame goes out, there isn't much left for that match to do. So I make the tip of my match long lasting, so it doesn't spread down. Now that the analogy is done, I'll move on to the thinking behind the moves. I started out right away knowing I'd use Fire Blast. It has a very strong base power, and double Stab under the sun. The extra power was definitely needed, since my set is more supportive. Will-o-Wisp is to burn incoming weather inducers, and also incoming physical threats, such as Terrakion, who switches in often to the more Specially oriented dog. Roar is to keep switches going, and rack up SR damage, which Ninetales does quite effectively. It also makes sure Volcarona doesn't set up on me, which can be hazardous while under the sun. Finally, Pain Split is great, as it whittles down Blissey/Chansey's HP, while putting yours back up to full. Also, this plays so many mindgames with your opponent while playing the weather war. When you send your low hp Ninetales out against a low hp Forretress(for example, there are more defensive threats, like Skarmory), you just use Pain Split, now you're on equal grounds for the weather war, as the hp's are equal(in a sense).

I have changed the EVs for my Ninetales. With this EV spread it tanks a +2 Mach Punch from Adamant Techniloom, and outspeeds Mamoswine. Also, it has a low Hp number, so pain split will be more advantageous, because the defense per hit point value will be higher(that's odd to say). Also, it still retains a lot of special bulk, with its natural base 100 Sp. Def, and 108 EVs.

Lead (Genesect) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Download
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature
- U-turn
- Flamethrower
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam

Now as you read this, I'm going to make something very clear. When his nickname spells Lead, as in a pokemon lead, that's not what I mean. I mean Lead, as in the element. Although lead isn't the softest element, it's in the top ten, and more well known then the others. Also, most of the time he is my Pokemon Lead, so that's pretty nifty. When i first made this team, I was debating between LO and Scarf, and boy has scarf been the much better choice. This allows him to revenge out the sun, something Lilligant can't do, and with perfect neutral coverage. Honestly the main reason I use him over other U-turners is the fact that he attracts opposing Heatran, and other counters to my Offensive duo of Lilligant and Heatran. Flamethrower in the sun gives him pseudo-stab, which is very useful vs. steels not named Heatran, which give my Lilligant trouble. Standard Bolt-Beam so I hit everything for neutral coverage, which is very useful for an end-game clean, and also hits threats like Gyarados and Landorus for SE damage.

Promethium (Dugtrio) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
IVs: 21 HP / 0 Def / 0 SDef
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
- Reversal

As his name states, there isn't many dugtrios left in the universe, and this one is just hanging on by a thread. Just like the element Promethium, which is extinct, or next to it, Dugtrio becomes "extinct" very soon in the match, and becomes next to it even sooner. He hangs on the thread of existence with that puny sash, since he can't take any hit otherwise. Now, dugtrio only lives because I tell him too, so he lives to serve me. When I tell him to take that Banded Dragonite's outrage, he does so with pride, knowing he will be on the brink of existence afterwards. He traps so many threats that come in on Genesect to stop his rain of terror, and kills them with little to no effort. Since Dugtrio lives to let others live, that is what Dugtrio does for Genesect. The mere existence of Genesect is only there because Dugtrio is here. So now onto the more "statistical" stuff. The IVs make sure he is left at 1 hp after 2 Seismic Tosses, which is very important when disposing of Blissey/Chansey. Max Attack and Max Speed for obvious reasons. I decided to use EdgeQuake so dugtrio could do damage to more threats, and also kill weaken flying types, like Salamance, Tornadus-T, Thunderous-T, and Volcarona ( I know it isn't a flying type). Sucker Punch lets it hit the Lati twins better, but I'm thinking of switching it to Aerial Ace, since this team has been hating Techniloom lately, and I haven't found much use for Sucker Punch as of late. Reversal is there for the 1hko on Offensive Balloon Heatran, and for Tyranitar while also hitting for very good coverage, and usually replaces Stone Edge as the coverage once I reach 1 hp. So, in your rates, if you can tell me what you tink is better for dugtrio, Aerial Ace or Sucker Punch, that'd be great.

I have changed Sucker Punch to Stealth Rock, since now my Golurk has been switched out for CM Keldeo. I miss Sucker Punch a little bit, but using Stealth Rock over Sucker Punch to get Keldeo in on this team is really worth it.

Hydrogen (Keldeo) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Sp. Atk/ 252 Speed/ 4 Sp. Def
Nature: Timid
-Hydro Pump
-Secret Sword
-Calm Mind
-Hidden Power Fire

Although a water type shouldn't see the burning of water up close, I think this lost My Little Pony can fight like the rest of the top dogs, besides its shaky past as a Water type. It takes pride in its heritage, and keeps the name Hydrogen, in honor of its great pony parents, who he kills on a regular basis. Keldeo brings me the anti-rain I really need. He resist ice and water, and has some decent defenses of 91/90/90. He still counters Terrakion(more of a check), and also sets up in the rain. Unlike the other water and ice resists, he can take down blissey/chansey, 2hkoing them at the least with Secret Sword.Hydro Pump and Secret Sword give him his Stabs,and Calm Mind lets him take advantage of those rain pokemon that can't do jack squat to him. HP Fire allows him to still be useful in the sun, giving him an alternate Stab in the sun. I haven't got to really use it yet, so it is probably replaceable. I'm thinking of HP Ghost, since that is the standard, but it doesn't give a great range of SE hits while under the sun. but in the rain or sand, it becomes a monster. I usually keep it clear skies before keldeo gets used against a non-weather team. This makes sure his Main Stab isn't halved so early in the match.

Mercury (Heatran) @ Air Balloon
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Sunny Day
- SolarBeam
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Mercury has one of the lowest melting points in the world. Just like Heatran, it doesn't stay solid very easily, and is easily liquid, and a very deadly one at that. Mercury looks fun to play with. It kinda calls to you to touch it, and roll it around it your hands, but at the same time, it's killing you at that very second. Heatran is the same way. It lures in opposing threats, like Politoed, and traps them to there slow demise, taking almost 3 turns to fully take effect. Surprisingly enough, although this is a trapping set, it usually becomes a late game sweeper if the balloon is still intact. With a plethora of Super Effective coverage, it easily rushes right through teams, and outspeeds bulky pokemon, like bulky Dragonite, or Adamant Dragonite, Gastrodon, and most Gliscors.With a base 130 Sp. Atk, he hits like a freakin truck with magma storm under the sun, and nothing really wants to get hit by it. This set does get walled by opposing Heatran though, but I like the HP Ice, as it lets me take care of more important threats. Usually opposing Heatran is number 1 priority, but Lilligant can handle most Heatrans after a quiver dance or 2.

Olivine (Lilligant) (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 72 Def/ 252 Sp. Atk/ 184 Spd
Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Giga Drain
- Sleep Powder
- Hidden Power [Rock]

Well, this has to be the most boring analogy, but I picked Lilligant to be Olivine, because #1-It is my favorite Silicate. and #2-It can be green. Yep, I have a favorite Silicate. The reason behind this is that it was the only one I could identify in Earth Science in 10th Grade on a regular basis. I decided to pick Lilligant over the other chlorophyll sweepers because Lilligant sets up in front of Defensive Politoed, and actually likes the rain. I especially love the Politoeds with Ice Beam. They barely do 30% after a Quiver Dance, and then I can set-up another Quiver Dance. Now the EVs are pretty basic, just maximize both Speed and Sp. Atk, so it can fare well outside of sun. Giga Drain and HP Rock give great coverage together, but get walled by steel types not named Heatran and Skarmory. Although getting walled by the most defensive typing in the game usually isn't a good thing, I an usually let it slide with all the fire attacks on my team. If there really is something that lilligant can't handle, I can always sleep it, and come back to it later, just like a book. Lilligant has to be one of my favorite Sun Sweepers, as it actually takes advantage of the other weathers too. If you haven't tried anything besides cookie-cutter Venasaur, I'd recommend trying this, especially if you have trouble vs. rain.

The Closing Note

I hope you guys all had a great read. I tried to make it as appealing to the eye as possible. Below I'm going to give a small threat list, and please tell me if you see something that I left out.

But first, the credits-
Prevent- for helpin me test this team thoroughly to see weakness.

Aquaa- same as above

ClubbingSealCub He was the co-founder of the team. Anything I do to this team I plan on running by him first, to see if he agrees with the changes, though it ultimately goes down to what I want.

Techniloom

Thick Fat Mamoswine in Rain

Dual Sand Users and an Abuser

Exportable
(Keep the Nicknames please)

Code:
Olivine (Lilligant) (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 72 Def / 252 SAtk / 184 Spd
Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Giga Drain
- Sleep Powder
- Hidden Power [Rock]

Lead (Genesect) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Download
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SAtk / 30 Spd
- U-turn
- Flamethrower
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam

Promethium (Dugtrio) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
IVs: 21 HP / 0 Def / 0 SDef
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
- Reversal

Hydrogen  (Keldeo) @ Leftovers
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Calm Mind
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Mercury (Heatran) @ Air Balloon
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Sunny Day
- SolarBeam
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Phosphorus (Ninetales) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Drought
EVs: 100 HP / 200 Def / 108 SDef / 100 Spd
Bold Nature
- Fire Blast
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roar
- Pain Split

Hey There, cool team you got here I like the use of some original sets and Pokemon, especially Shed Shell Ninetales with all the Dugtrio running around these days and Lilligant is a great under-rated thread too so kudos on using those.The first problem I notice is that you look pretty weak to +1 Dragons in general as your team hates switching into them, Pokemon like Latios can come out throw a Draco Meteor, deal heavy damage to anything (even Heatran since you run an offensive set), rinse and repeat.In order to fix this problem I would suggest 2 changes, the first being that you replace your Heatran with a more bulky set making it much more easy for you to switch into Dragons and scare them away with Hidden power Ice or the chance of burn from Lava Plume. Changing Lilligant's Hidden Power Rock to Hidden Power Ice will also do you much better hitting the likes of Dragonite and Salamence much harder, you lose coverage on the likes of Volcarona but with Heatran on your team you should be okay with that. Next, this team is very weak to offensive LO Breloom as after a Swords Dance boost it can pretty much sweep you clean with SR and LO support. To fix this I would suggest you replace your current Golurk with a Defensive Celebi, not only will this give you the ability to beat Breloom which troubles you a lot but also gives you a great switch in against Rain along with Lillgant making it much easier for you to win the weather war, a defensive Celebi spread will still do good against Terrakion like your current Golurk does too.

Heatran @ Leftovers | Flash Fire
Calm | 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe

Lave Plume | Hidden Power[Ice] | Toxic | Roar

Pokemon @ Leftovers | Natural Cure
Bold| 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 Spe
Leaf Storm | Psychic | Stealth Rock | Recover

Good Luck with the team.

I'm going to try the celebei set. It seems like a great idea over Golurk and I'm going to try it. I'm going to have to politely decline the suggestion to change Heatran's set. Sleep Powder easily handles Draco Meteor Spamming Dragons, and If a dragon does throw off a draco Meteor, all it does is become set-up fodder for Lilligant. Now the only thing with putting celebi in, is that I now have no SRer or Physical Pokemon. I may try SR over HP fire.

I'm going to try the celebei set. It seems like a great idea over Golurk and I'm going to try it. I'm going to have to politely decline the suggestion to change Heatran's set. Sleep Powder easily handles Draco Meteor Spamming Dragons, and If a dragon does throw off a draco Meteor, all it does is become set-up fodder for Lilligant. Now the only thing with putting celebi in, is that I now have no SRer or Physical Pokemon. I may try SR over HP fire.
Ah yes I meant to put SR>HP Fire.As your team already has enough to deal with Steel types in Heatran, Tales and Dugtrio.
After a Draco Meteor, if it does become set up fodder, it would be while Sun is up, assume its Raining or Sand and a Latios comes out, it puts you under a bunch of pressure, you can't go to Tales as it would deal heavy damage, same to Offensive tran.Just a thought.

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hi,

Cool team! The chemistry nicknames were very interesting, but Genesect should have been called Platinum because of it's rarity and good worth :P

Anyway, this team is suffering from some major weaknesses to Rain. You have 4 pokemon weak to Water with 1 resist, and you have 3 pokemon weak to Ice, with 3 resists. Obviously, this is really problematic, but solving this problem will be a bit harder. Golurk looks out of place here. It adds to your weaknesses of Ice and Water, though it helps you spinblock and wall fighting types. Instead of having Golurk do all that, I think Jellicent would work much better. For one, Jellicent does most of the important things Golurk does- it spinblocks, it walls fighting types, and it beats Blissey / Chansey. However, it also brings a lot more to the table- it resists both Water and Ice, two of the most threatening types (Fire, as well.) Jellicent also helps you against stall- because you're pretty weak to hazards and you lack a spinner, the best way to overcome SR is to prevent it from ever being laid down in the first place. Jellicent's ability to wall Keldeo will also be a godsend, as even in the sun it 2HKO's your entire team.

Now that you've lost Golurk, you've lost Stealth Rock, so I'd recommend putting Stealth Rock over Stone Edge on Dugtrio. With a sash, you can use Stealth Rock as you get knocked to 1 HP- perfect for maxing out Reversal's power.

Also, since you're using Pain Split on Ninetales, a spread of 220 Def / 252 SpD / 36 Spe would probably work better. You keep a lot of your bulk, and even get some speed in the process- also, your Pain Split gets 'powered up'. Since your HP is going to be lower, Pain Split will both heal more % to you and deal more % to your opponent.

Cool team, good luck!

Jellicent @ Leftovers
Bold nature, 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Recover / Taunt / Toxic / Scald

You could also use WoW and Shadow Ball instead of the last two to shut down physical attackers more reliably and hit harder under the Sun, but then you lose the ability to beat Blissey / Chansey. Your pick.

PDC

street spirit fade out
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Hello, cool team you got here.

First off I can suggest a new altered Lilligant spread. Try out 72 Def / 252 SAtk / 184 Spe Modest to survive Mamoswine's Ice Shards and Scizors Bullet Punch. With that addition, I can suggest trying either Hidden Power Ice or Hidden Power Fire. Both are viable options to use, and HP Ice is great option for slamming Latios and Dragonite. While HP Fire beats the steels like Lucario and Scizor. I can also suggest and EV change on Ninetails to one of 248 HP / 160 SDef / 100 Spe to outrun and check Mamoswine. You still retain some solid special bulk, but this gives you enough speed to take out Jolly Mamoswine and Adamant Lucario. You should also use Stealth Rock on Dugtrio over Sucker Punch, as it is a great option on Dugtrio.

Aside from this, this looks like a pretty solid sun team. But you are lacking one of the most important components. Despite the lack of Volcarona, Ninetails cannot switch into Stealth Rock very often, and because it is not the bulkiest Pokemon around, you should consider a real spinner. Golurk is the most replaceable Pokemon due to it's "randomness" slapped on the team. I suggest trying out Defensive Spinner Starmie over Golurk. Being able to Check Techniloom, Spin, and Terrakion.

Starmie @ Leftovers | Natural Cure
244 HP / 44 Def / 224 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock / Psychic
- Rapid Spin
- Recover

Good luck!

I've tested most of your suggestions, and I find that I get walled by Blissey/Chansey more often than not.

I do like the EV spread for Lilligant, and it helps me with my Mamoswine in the Rain weakness. Changes have been done for EVs. Now the Hidden Power. I actually prefer Rock for its neutral coverage. I've already tested HP Ice and HP Fire prior to this RMT, and I just prefer HP rock.

Ninetales- I've opted for a mix between electrolyte's and PDC's ideas. I'm opting for an EV spread(why didn't I think of this earlier?) of 100HP/200Def/108Sp. Def/ 100Spd Bold Nature. This allows me to outspeed Mamoswine, just like PDC's post. keep low hp like Electrolyte's, and survive a +2 Mach Punch from Adamant LO Breloom, with no prior damage, and has a sliver of a chance to survive Jolly LO Breloom's Mach Punch after Stealth Rocks.

Golurk-Although most of your suggestions sound good in theory, i get hard-walled by blissey/chansey once he leaves, even with duggy, who sometimes has trouble vs the Blobs. Most chanseys wall its EQs very well, and any smart player toxics first, so my dugtrio doesn't get to that 1 hp. I realize Golurk is bad, but there are reasons I haven't been able to find a replacement, and that's because of those 2 overweight pink blobs. Honestyly, I don't need the utility, I just need a physical Attacker that doesn't make me Terrakion weak.

Dugtrio- Only change is I'm using SR>Stone Edge for testing, but this isn't a definite change. Also, what are your guys ideas about Aerial Ace > Sucker Punch, so I'm not Techniloom weak.

If I have not mentioned your suggestion, It's either I haven't tested it yet, or it doesn't seem that reasonable, or it falls into my first little paragraph.

chimpact

fire nation
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Golurk may be a pretty fun pokemon to use, but it's only magnifying the weaknesses you have laid out for your team. Your team outspeeds breloom for the most part, which forces it to go for mach punch. But it can set up on your Golurk easily. It helps against Terrakion, but it can only take so many stone edges with no recovery, and you have dugtrio for non scarfed variants. I would definitely go with PDC's suggestion and go with Starmie over Golurk. However I would give it a spread of 236 HP / 52 Spatk / 224 Speed with Psyshock. Psyshock is necessary for countering Keldeos and hitting Terrakion's through their spdef boost in sand. With psyshock and those spatk EV's you have a 90% to OHKO Terrakion after rocks and a -1 Def drop from CC.

If you are considering replacing your Golurk, I would definitely suggest Stealth Rock over Sucker Punch on dugtrio.

Lastly, I suggest this spread on your Ninetales so you have a better matchup against Jolly Brelooms and other Adamant base 80s (Mamoswine, and nonlumberry dragonite). Calm Nature, 252 HP / 148 SDef / 108 Spd

Golurk may be a pretty fun pokemon to use, but it's only magnifying the weaknesses you have laid out for your team. Your team outspeeds breloom for the most part, which forces it to go for mach punch. But it can set up on your Golurk easily. It helps against Terrakion, but it can only take so many stone edges with no recovery, and you have dugtrio for non scarfed variants. I would definitely go with PDC's suggestion and go with Starmie over Golurk. However I would give it a spread of 236 HP / 52 Spatk / 224 Speed with Psyshock. Psyshock is necessary for countering Keldeos and hitting Terrakion's through their spdef boost in sand. With psyshock and those spatk EV's you have a 90% to OHKO Terrakion after rocks and a -1 Def drop from CC.

If you are considering replacing your Golurk, I would definitely suggest Stealth Rock over Sucker Punch on dugtrio.

Lastly, I suggest this spread on your Ninetales so you have a better matchup against Jolly Brelooms and other Adamant base 80s (Mamoswine, and nonlumberry dragonite). Calm Nature, 252 HP / 148 SDef / 108 Spd
As I've said countless times, I'm all for changing Golurk, but it seems like most of the counters to an ice/water type combination of attacks is Special. As I've already said in the post directly above you, I'm already changing Sucker Punch for SR. Actually I said Stone Edge, but I've realized after testing, using it over Sucker Punch is much more viable. Ugh, as I keep searching for this physical pokemon that doesn't mind ice and water attacks the more I feel like there is no fix. It seems like I either have to get walled by Chansey/Blissey to death or I can't take a water hit. LO Latios barely 3hko's Chansey, so specially based pokemon with Psyshock won't exactly work. I keep putting Chansey/Blissey, but it's really Wish Support Chansey that troubles me. I think this would be so much easier if I could just make Starmie Specs w/ trick? I honestly don't know. Some way to take down chansey's eviolite seem like the best way to make sure I can take it down with my plethora of Special Attacks.

chimpact

fire nation
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Quiver Dance Lilligant and Heatran with taunt should be able to beat it. But im not sure if you're willing to forgo HP Ice on heatran just to beat blissey.

I put an Importable of the changes I've made and my Golurk replacement. If using please stop by on these forums or on PS! to tell me how you feel or if you've found any great weakness.

PS~ Are those pictures showing up for you guys? I keep getting these little square things in places where the picture should be.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)