Sunday Mafia - GAME OVER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ampharos

tag walls, punch fascists
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Explain what you mean by that. If you believe that it's actually something, why are you withholding your vote?
THAT'S THE THING - IM NOT SURE IF IT'S ACTUALLY ANYTHING YET. ONE ODD POST DOES NOT A MAFIA MAKE. I NEED TO SEE MORE OF ASKA'S CONTENT, BUT HE'S ON MY WATCHLIST.

ALSO, I'D LIKE ULLARWARLORD TO POST SOMETHING SUBSTANTIAL, SO MY VOTE REMAINS ON HIM FOR PRESSURE.

Da Letter El

Officially internet famous
is a Community Leader Alumnus
Questionnaires don't put any pressure on the person who answers them, especially questionnaires not directed at any specific user. If you're not singling anybody out and telling them to take the questionnaire, it's almost entirely useless.
Questionnaires are good in games where there are a lot of newer users, as simply voting for random people and then asking and answering seemingly random questions based solely off of either a dumb voting decision or a tone of voice is going to leave a good bit of people isolated. Asking questions that at least have some relevance to the game allows for these players to have something to say. This then allows for us to ask these users follow-up questions and start to get reads on them. Newer users from my experience are much more reluctant to post much of anything, which always leads to the same questions like "why aren't you saying anything," or "what do you think of x user" (to which the answer is usually "i don't know").

Also I love the color test because it's hilarious. In the two forum games I've used it in, I've succeeded in identifying at least one mafia based solely on the color test.

Von has acted somewhat suspiciously in response to it, though. Hopefully that gets some conversation going.
case and point.

My vote will remain on Da Letter El for the following reasons:
- The tone of his posts seems off to me.
I don't exactly know why I feel this, but I really do. DLE also seems to be speaking more in facts than opinions.
Do you believe that stating opinions is better than stating facts? Explain your thought process behind this.

- Only one random vote.
This is uncharacteristic of you, and bad strategy to boot. You seemed quite eager to leave the random voting stage while only a couple of users had been called out!
I typically randvote once. You can reread Company mafia if you want.

Also DLE, I'm interested. What possible reads could you get out of asking everyone whether they are sure that they are not mafia? Yeah, people might make a joke out of that question or not, but it's indicative of nothing. Eh, it's a small point.
People often have a certain "meta" of how they act. If they act outside of that when answering a question like that - i.e. being super silly with their answer when they are typically a relatively serious person, you can get a read based off of that. I don't think anyone could or would argue it's a be all end all, but it's a very simple question to ask, so why not?

idiotfrommars

HODOR HODOR HODOR
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
1. How much NOC experience do you have? one game!
2. Are you mafia? no
3. Are you sure? but vintage is, he voted me
4. Do you believe that questionnaires are a good way to get people talking? they have their uses but are inherently flawed
5. What is your favorite color? Honolulu Blue the color of champions
6. When should information roles claim? When they have one guilty? When they have multiple? When they feel as though they are going to die? Does it depend? I think it should be based entirely upon the situation. You can't just come up with a generic set of claiming rules that will work everytime.
7. How many mafia do you believe there are? Why? I would put the number at between 0 and 12 but most likely either 3 or 4
8. Mysterious Question Number 8??? Obama, not a fan.

question for IFM: why are you not a fan of obama

don't tell me you like Mitt Robot

also to be completely honest questionnaires aren't the worst thing in the world. they at least give us something to do d1 by providing some kind of discussion.

although if you legit hit a mafia through that colour test thing that's ridic

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
People often have a certain "meta" of how they act. If they act outside of that when answering a question like that - i.e. being super silly with their answer when they are typically a relatively serious person, you can get a read based off of that. I don't think anyone could or would argue it's a be all end all, but it's a very simple question to ask, so why not?
And by that logic I'm the cleanest person here.

Also aska I wore exclusively red shirts for 3 years and I hadn't even played mafia at the time so

VOTECOUNT 1.2:
1) vonFiedler (2) - Da Letter El Paperblade
2) Walrein (0) -
4) Da Letter El (1) - askaninjask
5) UllarWarlord (1) - Walrein
6) idiotfrommars (1) - Vintage Books
7) Vintage Books (1) - MeowMixx
8) Paperblade (1) - vonFiedler
9) Jalmont (1) - MeowMixx UllarWarlord
11) askaninjask (0) -
12) MeowMixx (0) -
13) Agape (0) -
14) smashlloyd20 (0) -

Not Voting (4) - idiotfrommars, Jalmont, Agape, smashlloyd20

With 12 alive it takes 7 votes for majority. Deadline is in 63 hours and 15 minutes.

Note: Only the post right after VC has to obey the restriction, but it's not like I mind the additional praise.

TO BE HONEST QUESTIONNAIRES ARE KIND OF POINTLESS AND IT'S RIDICULOUS TO ACCUSE SOMEONE OF BEING SUSPICIOUS BASED OFF OF ONE, WHETHER IT BE THEIR ANSWERS OR THEM MAKING ONE.
>questionnaires are pointless
>making one to make it look like you're contributing when you're not doesn't mean anything

It's called active lurking and it's what you were lynched for in Company.

The problem with most questionnaires is that it's stupid shit like

>How many mafia do you think there are
>Who do you think is scum
>Who do you think is town

where most of the things are either irrelevant to the game but to the inexperienced can appear relevant. Think: do I care how many mafia there are when mylo/lylo is announced? No. Heck, I barely care when it isn't announced.

Now, apparently DLE's quiz has a purpose and he has proof that he isn't totally pulling things out of his ass, so it's likely an exception to this.

aska's vote on DLE seems off to me. It's totally possible that he is just misremembering or misinformed. I don't think it's worth voting yet though.

This thread goes really fast. I don't mind, pc++ for me. Although this does make NOC mafias contradict Circus rules. Therefore BT is undeniably scum, and even if I think that word is alien to Smogon mafia culture it could fit in NOC games.

This is my first game, therefore I have fresh ideas.

There are 14 players. Following the usual 40% formula, there are 4 mafia. (That's plural, 3rd declension Latin neuter noun in the nominative case, like mare. The singular must be mafe, then.)
Since this is expert, there might be a neutral, a traitor villager or a Cthultist. That chance is taken into account by assuming that the village has no power roles like BG or mayor, thus making all analyses with bare numbers only.

I trust smashloyd to be village. If he isn't, we can flame BT for including a broken noc mafia role. Smash's villagerness is supported by the hypothesis, that the host wants to give the village a chance.

Thus we come to the numbers. From 14 players 4 are mafia and 2 are clean (smashloyd and you who are reading this with knowledge that you are village).
Thus, a random lynch gives a one third chance (33.33 repeating %) chance to hit mafia. Mislynches increase this chance. A worst case scenario LYLO is 50%, assuming smash dead, 5 vanillas and 4 mafia.

I will continue this later, the Finnish army is after me atm.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
>questionnaires are pointless
>making one to make it look like you're contributing when you're not doesn't mean anything

It's called active lurking and it's what you were lynched for in Company.
Well lest I be called out for that...

If you think my bantering during the rand lynch period is indicative of me being scum, you need to either reread it or you just come out and admit that you are mafia. In that vein I'm not changing my opinion that Paperblade is probably scum. It just comes across as being thick when I literally prompted DLE to quote me so that I could respond with a youtube video.

On the other hand I definitely think that aska is scum. If not DLE. One of these two probably. Walrein is right, aska comes off as extremely forced to the level of contradiction.

Also DLE, I'm interested. What possible reads could you get out of asking everyone whether they are sure that they are not mafia? Yeah, people might make a joke out of that question or not, but it's indicative of nothing. Eh, it's a small point.
That's funny cause when I made a joke out of it you said I looked like mafia. Also I didn't change any subjects because no one was talking about anything, no one else had even taken the quiz at that time.

DLE on the other has made it clear he is acting in the exact same manner that he has as a villager in several other mafia games. He has repeated this three times.

DLE said:
I do questionnaires pretty often actually. I feel as though I had one in dungeons, but maybe I didn't. I know that I used something similar in a game on another forum, and I did a questionnaire in my only complete game on mafiascum.
DLE said:
I typically randvote once. You can reread Company mafia if you want.
DLE said:
http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=19255

called kirbyoshi being mafia off of the color test

town ignores it and we lose
And then with that last one he was even like "oh maybe I shouldn't have posted that"

Eh maybe i should have waited on posting that. Oh well.
Why? Cause it might get people not take the quiz? Or because you might have gone too far with the "this my town face, watch me act as I always have in this town manner"? Or conveniently both?

And also uh...

Who actually has posting restrictions? Is it just Walrein?

I think this is too early to make any conclusions or even valid guesses on possible mafia.
If I only had paper with me I'd suggest forming soft-alliances to increase the chances of lynches succeeding.

My opinion on credibility of arguments is likely to change, but my current plan is to vote randomly.

No lynch equals 10% of villagers dying pointlessly without resistance. I'm willing to risk the 33% of lynching a mafe (singular of mafia, see last post for proof) at least once.

I'd randlynch now, but I'm afraid I'll have to return to it later. (Phone battery and getting rid of the army.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)