VGC Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer - Mark II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the replies, I'm leaning towards Choice Scarf Abomasnow myself. To follow-up, what are the best moves for a special Choice Scarf Abomasnow? Blizzard and Giga Drain are practically mandatory of course, and I can see the value of having Ice Shard, but what else would fit? All I can find that would be suitable is Shadow Ball and Focus Blast.
I myself would not recommend Shard on a Scarf set, you probably have an attack lowering nature so it just won't be hitting hard, and not that much outspeeds Scarf Abomasnow. HP Fire could be good for coverage against Meta and Scizor, but remember they will KO right back if they hadn't already been weakened. Last move could be Sheer Cold for a final last resort, the only other worthwhile move at that point might be Wood Hammer for low Defense Waters.

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
I myself would not recommend Shard on a Scarf set, you probably have an attack lowering nature so it just won't be hitting hard, and not that much outspeeds Scarf Abomasnow. HP Fire could be good for coverage against Meta and Scizor, but remember they will KO right back if they hadn't already been weakened. Last move could be Sheer Cold for a final last resort, the only other worthwhile move at that point might be Wood Hammer for low Defense Waters.
I second this. Blizzard, Giga Drain, HP Fire.

If you plan on using a physical attack for your last move, use a Hasty nature, so that you don't get an Attack drop. Then Ice Shard and Wood Hammer become viable options (though Ice Shard + Choice Scarf is slightly redundant).

You could also consider Grass Knot, as a few Pokemon are hit harder by it than Giga Drain (Against Tyranitar, Terrakion, Gigalith, Rhyperior, and Mamoswine specifically, Grass Knot is Abomasnow's strongest attack, even over Blizzard), but then you wouldn't be healed by Giga Drain either.

I have a question, that regards the game mechanic of protecting moves in double battle:
Is Wide Guard 100% sure if my second Pokémon used eg Protect successfully last turn (and vice versa)? If I have 2 Pokémon that know Wide Guard, can I use Wide Guard with one and with the other the next turn without the risk of failing?

I second this. Blizzard, Giga Drain, HP Fire.

If you plan on using a physical attack for your last move, use a Hasty nature, so that you don't get an Attack drop. Then Ice Shard and Wood Hammer become viable options (though Ice Shard + Choice Scarf is slightly redundant).

You could also consider Grass Knot, as a few Pokemon are hit harder by it than Giga Drain (Against Tyranitar, Terrakion, Gigalith, Rhyperior, and Mamoswine specifically, Grass Knot is Abomasnow's strongest attack, even over Blizzard), but then you wouldn't be healed by Giga Drain either.
The thing is, Scarf Abomasnow outspeeds everything up to base 115s, but if I gave it Hidden Power Fire it'd speed tie with Azelf, Starmie and Raikou. Are those 3 Pokemon uncommon enough to justify using Hidden Power Fire?

Also, Ice Shard might seem redundant with a Scarf, but considering how popular Mach Punch and Bullet Punch are, it could be worth it to get a last resort attack off, since both of those priority moves would KO a non-Sashed Abomasnow anyway.

The thing is, Scarf Abomasnow outspeeds everything up to base 115s, but if I gave it Hidden Power Fire it'd speed tie with Azelf, Starmie and Raikou. Are those 3 Pokemon uncommon enough to justify using Hidden Power Fire?
I've seen each of those once or twice, but I've played hundreds of battles, so I'd say they're not the sort of thing you need to specifically consider.
Also, Ice Shard might seem redundant with a Scarf, but considering how popular Mach Punch and Bullet Punch are, it could be worth it to get a last resort attack off, since both of those priority moves would KO a non-Sashed Abomasnow anyway.
I've found priority also helps a lot in trick room, but the amount of damage you'll be doing with ice shard is so small that you'll probably never choose that to be the one attack you're choiced into, unless by some miracle the battle ends with Abomasnow versus a single Hitmontop in red.

Yeah, you don't have to worry about seeing very many Raikous, Starmies or Azelfs.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I have a question, that regards the game mechanic of protecting moves in double battle:
Is Wide Guard 100% sure if my second Pokémon used eg Protect successfully last turn (and vice versa)? If I have 2 Pokémon that know Wide Guard, can I use Wide Guard with one and with the other the next turn without the risk of failing?
It'll work, the counter is separate for each Pokémon.
im not sure if this has been asked or not. But dark void isn't allowed at regionals, nationals or worlds is it?
Dark Void is banned.

Official rules: "Players with a Rating of 1600 or higher:
Will be excluded from the Rankings if their Disconnection Rate is at least 10 points higher than the overall average across all players."
Only your own disconnections are count. Opponent's disconnections don't matter I hope. Am I right?

Nope, every time your opponent disconnects it counts against you. It's led to people being disqualified because of it in the past.

Oh, and in case you're talking about the Autumn Friendly here is where the discussion is taking place for it.

1) Anyone knows if there are Regionals in any of the European countries or just Nationals?
2) Do you have to own the version of the game from the country you're participating in or it can be any version (again talking about Europe in particular), since the English version is quite popular in every country?

1) Anyone knows if there are Regionals in any of the European countries or just Nationals?
2) Do you have to own the version of the game from the country you're participating in or it can be any version (again talking about Europe in particular), since the English version is quite popular in every country?
We have 3 tournaments in the spring, that's all we know. I'd put money on it being nationals in Spain, Germany and the UK.

You can use any European game card, though since I've never seen anyone getting thrown out for say an American card they probably don't even check.

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Thanks, that really made my day!! :)
I would play it on the safe side though and have a European game card - just because there hasn't been anyone kicked out doesn't mean that American game cards okay.. they may just have not had them.

Team Rocket Elite

Data Integration Thought Entity
is a Top Researcher Alumnus
We have 3 tournaments in the spring, that's all we know. I'd put money on it being nationals in Spain, Germany and the UK.

You can use any European game card, though since I've never seen anyone getting thrown out for say an American card they probably don't even check.
The tournament data downloader checks to make sure the game card is from one of the allowed regions. This lead to a problem at the Canadian regionals where the downloader was not properly configured to accept French game cards.

I would play it on the safe side though and have a European game card - just because there hasn't been anyone kicked out doesn't mean that American game cards okay.. they may just have not had them.
I've bought my game in Europe and it's in English but the problem is I'd like to take part in the German Nationals (despite I'm neither German nor a native German speaker) because they're the closest Nationals to me. I suppose I have the British version but the only proof I found to confirm that is the internet address "www.pokemon.co.uk" inside the box. Does anyone know if this would work for the German Nationals?

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Just wanted to correct this. There are no Nationals in Europe this year. For some reason TPCi took the page down so maybe they're still working on it, but as far as we know, it's set up as 2 Regionals -> World Qualifier. We copied down the relevant bits before it was taken down. You can find it here:
http://nuggetbridge.com/news/details-on-2013-vgc-regionals-announce/

I've bought my game in Europe and it's in English but the problem is I'd like to take part in the German Nationals (despite I'm neither German nor a native German speaker) because they're the closest Nationals to me. I suppose I have the British version but the only proof I found to confirm that is the internet address "www.pokemon.co.uk" inside the box. Does anyone know if this would work for the German Nationals?
Yeah that'll be fine, UK English definitely works at European events- I've used one myself.

And lol, I'd totally forgotten that you have to download the tournament... in the past though definitely they haven't checked. Unless that Brazilian guy at London 2009 had an English cart, which I don't think he did.

As for the Europe arrangements, lol I'd forgotten it was worded like that. I was meaning like... a tournament in each country. But 2 "regionals"???? They'll to have to miss out one of Spain/Germany/UK for that... and it's probably going to be the UK thanks to our crap showing this year. Wow... it's the butterfly effect but with toilet signs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)