The Artwork for Tournaments Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm hi I am not too active around these parts, but it appears to me that the B/W Walkthrough tournament is a bit lacking in submissions (I didn't read the whole thread so forgive me if you are currently working on it and don't like me stomping on your work accidentally). I will attempt to cook something up soon.

...Yes.

Hmm hi I am not too active around these parts, but it appears to me that the B/W Walkthrough tournament is a bit lacking in submissions (I didn't read the whole thread so forgive me if you are currently working on it and don't like me stomping on your work accidentally). I will attempt to cook something up soon.

...Yes.
You are correct that there are currently no submissions; there are also no WIPs posted yet. Anyone is allowed to do artwork for any project, and there is no need to ask or reserve a spot-- if you'd like to do something, just go right ahead :)

DragoniteKnight said:
Here's my entry for the ADV Users
I think it's a cool idea. I would consider switching the "D" and "V" so that it reads clockwise (and from left to right, top to bottom) and I would give some thought to using deoxys's silhouette, since it is very similar to scizor (which is more iconic of generations IV or V)... Maybe there's something you could add or change so that it's deoxys without a doubt? That would be my thought.

elcheeso said:
Alright I think this piece is more or less finished, barring any feedback.
I also like this very much, but I'm a little confused by why Ho-oh is spraying what appears to be water-- Flygon using flamethrower/fire blast is cool, and Altaria's standard set has hidden power grass listed... Was it more about including fire/water/grass? haha sorry to bug you, but maybe you could help explain?

Thank you guys for your continued efforts :)

Ugh I keep on running into the same problem. It's meant to be sacred fire, which has a blue/purple colouring in-game. I'm not really sure how to make it more obviously fire... it's just a colour scheme thing, not really going for a FWG core or whatever, haha. Any recommendations would be awesome because yeah, lots of people are confusing it for water.

Edit: Correction: I'm under the impression that sacred fire has a blue/purple scheme based on shit I've seen on bulbapedia! Can't be arsed to get HG out to check for sure, haha.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
DragoniteKnight, my major flack with ADV users (other than what Zracknel already highlighted) is that it's bland. It's not crisp; nothing pops out. The 3 heads seem like part of the background, blending with the purple center circle. Their needs to be a sharper contour between the background and the heads, imo.

I think what may actually help is to add some details on each of those faces, so people can recognize each Pokemon - see elcheeso's artwork for reference

I would also try a different font imo - not liking them letters

Umby

I'm gonna bury you in the ground~
is a Contributor Alumnus
Thanks to Bummer, elcheeso, and Juicy Fruit for their submissions for The Tournament of Goodfellas! Awesome jobs all around. I'm currently using Juicy Fruit's submission for the sign up thread, but intend to use the other two images in later rounds. Full credit/mention will of course be given. Props to Zracknel for this cool thread. I hope to be able to use it again in the future.

Edit: If I may make an additional request/potentially cool suggestion for tournament art in general, what do you think about making images for tournament finals? Like (an) image(s) representing the final players vs each other.

Elcheeso, you certainly don't have to listen to me, but this is what I thought.

I was first confused when I saw the blue coming out of Ho-Oh, but I ultimately accepted it as a necessary inaccuracy to get the color coordination across from the Pokemon.

When you mentioned Sacred Fire, I was stunned that I didn't think of that. LOL

Anyway, what might be interesting if it was unified to be all of a firey nature. Ho-Oh is spouting Sacred Fire, Flygon is spouting standard fire type move, and Altaria could be doing something like DragonBreath. This unifies the work and gives it a sense of full circle (and it also makes sense!). Since your art is stylized and minimalist, it might help if you made Sacred Fire look more like stereotypical fire; that is, wavy lines erupting into a tip. Right now, the extra spots and bits make it look like froth and foam in tumultuous water, and that doesn't help when you have obvious fire and grass in the other two slots.

Just my thoughts. I really like it though. (:

Edit: I had some time to put some things together. There will be many more things on the globe, but I just wanted to share my progress.

Edit again: I just replaced the file in my Dropbox so it updated to the final version.

Did a really simplistic entry for the BW Walkthrough:

It's actually based off the cover from the 'Abbey Road' album, more of a walking theme than walk-through but it fits enough.
Also Zracknel, if you want to do some better text then by all means, please do. I can imagine you cringing at my efforts.

I finished my banner contribution! I have added in spoiler tags a version without the darkening "fog" around the Pokemon League in the background.

How does this look?

//And because I'd rather not study for exams, I have preliminary lineart done for the Stat Specialization Tourney.

Ahem.

Whew, school and work have been keeping me busy! Zracknel, I took your advice on the letters and Deoxys. I may rework it again after looking at Pocket's critique.

Since I am typographically stunted, does anyone think they would like to add some good, delicious text to the banner? If you need anything added or taken away or tweaked to play nice with whatever titles you come up with, be sure to let me know! Thanks guys!

Stat Specialization Tournament II

Elcheeso, you certainly don't have to listen to me, but this is what I thought.

I was first confused when I saw the blue coming out of Ho-Oh, but I ultimately accepted it as a necessary inaccuracy to get the color coordination across from the Pokemon.

When you mentioned Sacred Fire, I was stunned that I didn't think of that. LOL

Anyway, what might be interesting if it was unified to be all of a firey nature. Ho-Oh is spouting Sacred Fire, Flygon is spouting standard fire type move, and Altaria could be doing something like DragonBreath. This unifies the work and gives it a sense of full circle (and it also makes sense!). Since your art is stylized and minimalist, it might help if you made Sacred Fire look more like stereotypical fire; that is, wavy lines erupting into a tip. Right now, the extra spots and bits make it look like froth and foam in tumultuous water, and that doesn't help when you have obvious fire and grass in the other two slots.

Just my thoughts. I really like it though. (:
Yeah, I completely understand where you're coming from here! Ultimately having Alt use hp grass is probably going to cause some problems with the combo of sacred fire being blueish and it looking like water considering hp grass and fire blast are the other moves being used! I debated using dragonbreath or something similar for awhile but opted to stick with hp grass, mostly because it's a move that's actually used on the main set... but also because I'm being kind of anal about the colour scheme and I think dragonbreath is usually pink. That being said, if it's still causing issues for people, I'll probably just end up changing it so they all have the same fiery design, just with different colorations.

That being said, I did make that change to sacred fire... which was kind of obvious in retrospect, ha! Can't believe I didn't think of that to begin with. I also made it a bit more purple to hopefully move away from it looking like water. Tell me what you guys think!

PS: That stat spec pic is absolutely adorable.

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Just asking, are art entries for the FUK FERRO tourney open yet?
Also, Offstat begins Oct 20, not really all that high priority then.

Level 51 said:
Just asking, are art entries for the FUK FERRO tourney open yet?
Nope, since the host, Iconic, hasn't been in touch with me yet. I'll bother him about this, haha.

Also, Offstat begins Oct 20, not really all that high priority then.
Noted and updated in the OP. Thank you :)

echeeso, woops. I thought Dragonbreath was green, but only in the anime/3D console games. All the handheld games have a purple/pinkish Dragonbreath.

I think with the new fire shape, a slight movement back to a blue shade would look better. With the popping red and green, you're almost disappointed to not have an accompanying blue. Of course, make your best judgment to see which looks better.

(Thanks :))

Hey there, folks.

Sorry I let this thread slip to the second page, but it was kind of on purpose:

1. The studio is pretty busy right now!! For on-site or official projects, we've got the Ubers hub logo thread, the LC hub logo thread, the Other Metagames hub logo thread, RBG's Facebook thread, and a Youtube logo thread... we're stretched pretty thin around here! And I'd like us to give the other projects their due, since...

2. You guys have completely blown away my expectations for this project. We currently have artwork submissions for every tournament listed prior to this post. That's crazy, haha. You guys are amazing and have really made this thread awesome so far :)

3. I have stuff I still need to do for this thread (a swath of typography offerings for people who have asked... and some emblazoned gold letters for our champions)... I haven't gotten to it yet, but I'm on it!!

So, that stuff aside, I wanted to put up the latest tournament artwork request, as alluded to above. Check it out:

Tournament name: FUK FERRO Tournament

Host: Iconic
Project priority: Normal
Format: BW UBERS
Tournament Rules: This Tournament is pretty straightforward: regular BW Ubers, except Ferrothorn is banned!
Art Direction: None Specified

There's something to be said for profanity in a context like this (I personally think it's hilarious when presented in an official manner) but in case it's not your thing: you do not need to include "FUK FERRO" anywhere in your artwork if you'd prefer not to. Just have fun with it :)

~~~~~~~~

I'd also just like to remind anyone interested that RBG's Black/White 2 Walkthrough Tournament will be posting sign ups approximately one week from now. We do have some artwork submissions for this tournament, but it's not too late to contribute!

No pressure to get cracking with any of this-- as mentioned earlier, we've got tons of projects for the site going right now-- but if you're interested we could definitely use your help!

Ugh, I could've sworn I posted this last week... I feel bad about spamming this thread with 500 versions of the same image, but oh well. Here's some blue flame.

A metric ton of updates for this thread; apologies I haven't kept on top of things. But here's to moving ahead and keeping up!

We have some tournament artwork winners to announce!

First, congratulations to Scepticallistic, whose artwork was selected to represent the Black 2 / White 2 Walkthrough Tournament! It was awesome of you to step in and help us out with that tighter-deadline project. I want to commend Juicy Fruit for taking a stab at making a submission to that tournament! Many thanks to you both!

But Juicy Fruit prevailed elsewhere: The NO-Weather Ubers Tournament! Stepping up to the plate and delivering a humorous entry to this tournament has allowed Juicy Fruit to claim victory! You rock!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Those two tournaments have wrapped up. A few others on the queue are nearing deadline as previous tournaments come to a close:

the ADVanced Users Only Tournament will be starting after a tournament in its semi-finals has concluded. A safe estimate for an artwork deadline would be two weeks, but please keep in mind it might be shorter or longer depending on the circumstances.

the Three Mon Tournament will go up as soon as a tournament nearing its final round concludes. This is the last call for submissions for artwork for this tournament! Check out the OP to see the current submissions. I would expect that submissions for this tournament will be closed in roughly a week (though this estimate is subject to players getting their matches done) so if you'd like to make a submission, hop on it!

Next, the DPP OU: Forgotten Year Tournament will be going up very shortly; the tournament preceding it is in its final round! I would guess that submissions for this tournament have less than a week before time is up. If you'd still like to make a submission, power through it quick!

Finally, the Offstat Tournament's deadline is October 20th. That leaves four days before submissions are due! Talk about cutting it close! If anyone would like to add a submission in that time you'll have to move quick!

The OP has been updated to reflect these deadline changes. We're about to go through a large tournament turnover, and with that will come new tournaments to create artwork for!

~~~~~~~~~

One such brand new tournament has found its way onto our listing! Check it out:

Tournament name: the Monotype Tournament
Host: Espeon65
Project priority: Normal
Format: BW OU
Tournament Rules: This tournament requires entrants to have an entire team of pokemon that share a single type-- dual-types are allowed where applicable. However, there's a twist: Espeon65 will privately contact all entrants to the tournament prior to battle and inform them of the type they have to use. Entrants will have to build their own teams well-- and prepare for the unknown types of their opponents.
Art Direction (courtesy of Espeon65): "Maybe a team of 6 pokemon of the same type, or 3. Or maybe two teams of differently-typed pokemon battling. If anyone has another idea, they can use it, too."

This tournament will not be going up for a little while, so artists have some time to work with. If you'd like to make a submission, please give it your best shot!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As my final note, I laughed at both entried to the FUK FERRO tournament :) I might also have an eight-year-old's sense of humor. Thanks for the awesome efforts so far!

That's all the news that's fit to update, so let's get it!

ZRACKNEL's LIFE used PERSONAL ISSUES!

ZRACKNEL can't get it going!

ZRACKNEL finally got his act together!

All righty!! we have a massive turnover of tournament artwork, so let's get to it!

First up, the Offstat Tournament opened sign ups last week, and to Rittercat go the spoils! I thought this piece was awesome, ritter-- really nice work and congrats :) My thanks as well to bluehoundoom who took the time to crank out a submission!

Next, the DPP OU: Forgotten Year has achieved liftoff, and at the helm, it's McMeghan! With the asisstance of sandshrewz and Orugos, who drew the latias and salamence McMeghan worked off of, I crown McMeghan the champion of this tournament's artwork! Many thanks as well to bluehoundoom and Furosuto for giving this tournament a shot! Your efforts are very much appreciated, and I've updated your submission scores :)

Following that, the 3-Mon Tournament is also in the books! Slayer-Assassin Bummer has increased his victory count with an awesome logo! Really killer stuff, haha :) Furosuto also gets major props and my deepest thanks for throwing his hat into the ring!

~~~~~

That's three tournaments to be packed away... but, as fate would have it, we have FOUR new tournaments to be slain! (Please forgive me for sweating profusely.) If you're looking for something to sink your teeth into, please look no further! Also please help!

Tournament Name: UU All Generation Tournament
Host: AuraRayquaza
Project Priority: HIGHEST (oof this is due soon)
Format: UU Multi-Generation; See below
Tournament Rules: "Each round a certain generation is picked and all battles will be done in UU of that generation. The last 4 will do their rounds as a best of 5 in all UU generations."
Art Direction: "i was thinking something like having a blastoise with sprites from all 5 gens and having a *cool* background. im no good at that kind of stuff so if you could come up with some ideas that would be great."

Zracknel's note: here are links to all of the UU pokemon in each generation:
Gen I: RBY
Gen II: GSC
Gen III: RSE
Gen IV: DPP
Gen V: Black/White/BW2

Suggestions of important UU pokemon across the generations:

Gen V (courtesy of Eo Ut Mortus)
Heracross, Raikou, Roserade

Gen IV (courtesy of Eo Ut Mortus)
Venusaur, Milotic, Arcanine

Gen III (courtesy of Earthworm)
Kangaskhan, Gligar, Omastar, Vileplume, Hypno, Tentacruel

Gen II (courtesy of Earthworm)
Quagsire, Venusaur, Granbull, Dodrio, Gyarados, Magmar

Gen I (courtesy of Earthworm and Hipmonlee)
Articuno, Jolteon, Hypno, Tentacruel

Zracknel: the tournament host also pointed out that blastoise has been UU in every gen... would you say that blastoise is at least usable in every UU?
Earthworm: he must be usable in gen 5
Earthworm: it is definitely usable in gen 3
Earthworm: and i think gen 4
Earthworm: i suspect it would be rather bad in gsc uu
Earthworm: rby hes probably "ok"
So take all of that as you will!

Be sure to have lots of fun with this next tournament:

Tournament Name: Random Pokemon Tournament V
Host: Rodan
Project Priority: Normal
Format: BW2 Special; see below
Tournament Rules: "think of it like the battle factory [where you are given random pokemon from across tiers, unevolved pokemon as well] but instead of picking 3 out of 6 [like in the factory] you pick 6 out of 7"
Art Direction: "my idea for the banner would be a version of me; either human or pterosaur drawing pokemon names from something like a hat or a bingo spinner or something "
(pictures of Rodan can be seen here.)

Next, a tournament which might fit a sportier theme:

Tournament Name: Home Field Advantage II
Host: Dubby
Format: BW2 Special; see below
Tournament Rules: "My tournament allows the "home" player (each player is PM'd their schedule at the beginning of the season) to choose the tier that is to be played. The standard 3 that the away player cannot reject are BW OU, BW Ubers, and BW UU. The home player can suggest to play a different tier, but the away player must approve as well. So yeah, no specific tier is involved.
Art Direction: None Specified

And finally, another tournament based on a film :)

Tournament Name: NU: Back to the Future
Host: Django
Format: NU Cross-Gen Special; see below
Tournament Rules: "this is a best of three tournament involving BW2 NU, DPP NU, and ADV NU"
Art Direction: " for potential ideas, anything involving the movie Back to the Future would be neat, and likewise a few key Pokemon from each tier (ADV NU - Flareon, Hitmonchan, Tangela. DPP NU - Charizard, Gligar. BW2 NU - Braviary, Amoonguss, Golurk. If you want any more information just let me know."

And there we have it! The workload is a bit intimidating, but hopefully we can get things done in time and with style!

I've revised priorities so that tournaments that currently have submissions are lower priority than those which do not!

~~~

We've officially gone through nine tournaments' worth of artwork, and nearly all of the tournaments we started with have gone live with lovely work in their sign-up threads :)

Please keep up the excellent work! You guys are so awesome :)

are we allowed to use sprites? I read through the rules and it said any artwork must be from site, but I didn't see anything prohibiting sprites. Please clear this up for me :s Sorry if I sound dumb
That's ok-- I know Aurarayquaza mentioned sprites in his suggested art direction, and it's one way of communicating what the UU All Generation Tournament is about.

Around here we really try to encourage artists to post original work rather than stuff from the games, but I think for this assignment, if you need to use them, ingame sprites are allowed. Just be sure what you're doing to them is your work! Also understand that artists doing original works will have an edge over you if you use sprites.

Best of luck with any submissions you'd like to make! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)