Request: Ubers Hub Logo [WHAT HAVE I STARTED?!]

Furai

we will become who we are meant to be
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Approved by Zracknel.

Hi Smeargle Studio members! Ignore my name, GreatSage sucks. This is Furai, and I'm here to request something very special for the site.

The request is for the onsite Ubers Hub Lair. As many other Hubs onsite, they open with a nice logo that features their tier -- I want the same for the Ubers Lair.

After discussing with other big names in the Uber community (Jibaku, Poppy, Hugendugen, GreatSage) we decided the Pokemon that we want: Arceus, Mewtwo, and Rayquaza. Why? Because Arceus is the God of Pokemon, which is like an automatic representation of the Ubers tier, and because Mewtwo and Rayquaza are notable threats in the tier and they have the best styles! The basic concept is having Arceus up in the skies (idea stolen from nov's featured Ubers RMT issue #21) and then posing Mewtwo and Rayquaza in a cool way; what I have in mind is something like back-to-back posing, with Mewtwo's arms crossed and Rayquaza doing a roar or something. Of course, that this entire project is up to your imagination! I'm just throwing ideas around.

Since Bummer did 3 logos already, his work would be a good example. He did logos for NU, RU, and UU. These are really great, but unfortunately Bummer doesn't get along with Ubers ): What I really liked about his logos is the text; be it font or location.

The deadline is in two-weeks; so please get it done until October 5th. Gave you an extra day :) Of course, artist that need extension may have it!

The Reward? Same as this, really. And I guarantee you 100% that I will support giving you the artist badge, when the time comes!

Many thanks in advance, Furai!

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
These are really great, but unfortunately Bummer doesn't get along with Ubers ):
It's true.

Although I have nothing against Ubers as a tier, just not a big fan of legendaries.

I like the idea of having Mewtwo and Rayquaza posing together, since the logos for the other hubs features pokes fighting or just being real angsty against each other, so this would make for some good variety. Just throwing that out.

Just chiming in to say that as is the case in the Artwork for Tournaments thread, posting WIPs and giving helpful critique is highly encouraged!

Is there a specific image size you wanted or is more like the tourny thread where (more or less) anything goes?

Also Furo, I'd imagine it's one piece only.

I tried.

Please ignore the horrible everything as this is hopefully obviously a mere basic sketch. Layout shamelessly stolen from Bummer's logos. The thing over the E is supposed to be a generic crown. In the real version Arceus would be much more imposing, everything would be bigger relative to the text, Rayquaza would be roaring or something and the general positioning wouldn't be as half-assed.

Furai

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Is there a specific image size you wanted or is more like the tourny thread where (more or less) anything goes?
Nothing specific, but don't make it TOO gigantic :)

Wait, are you accepting only 1 piece of art for this, or will multiple piece be put into the ubers hub lair?
Currently, one. However, if I find a way to rotate it or something, and there are a few pieces that look fantastic, be sure it will rotate!

So I did a quick couple of (awful) sketches, just wondering which one interests people more. I'm leaning towards the first despite a lingering dislike for it (Mewtwo definitely needs to have a less goofy looking pose, but that could go for both pics tbh).

WIP: I'm trying to replicate Bummer's style as much as I can so it looks consistent with the other pieces, unfortunately I'm not the big man himself so it's not quite the same quality.

Edit:

Update: WIP2

Update 2: Revamped the arceus since I wasn't happy with it. Added in Mewtwo and some sunshine.

Here's a WIP of what I'm working on for the banner. I'm probably going to change the style of the words, and maybe take out the crown. What do you guys think?

Danmire

its okay.
is an Artist Alumnus
Since I can finally draw again, I'm going to start working on this!
I have an idea I'd like to throw in, so I'll use this post for my W.I.P

EDIT: Here's the WIP. I'll try to finish it this weekend.

Furai

Just a suggestion, how about a Lugia and Ho-oh themed Logo? That would be awesome. Haha
I already discussed that with other Ubers mods, like it clearly says in the OP, and we decided we would like Arceus, Mewtwo, and Rayquaza in our logo.

I really like those guys; I might comment later as well, keep 'em coming!

So uh... I decided to change the pic since I wasn't really feeling what I had, only problem is that it's considerably different from the idea in the OP... but oh well. If it's too out there I can go with what I had originally!

Furai

Time for comments!

@Menshay: I like the concept! Keep it up~

@elcheeso: All of your concepts are good by me so far. I really liked the idea behind the third one, haha!

@Furosuto: Looks great, but could you make Mewtwo a little bit larger? It looks so small comparing to Arceus :(

@Danmire: Oh man that's pretty cool! Can't wait to see it in color!

@RitterCat: I liked the text~ 9.9

Well I guess I'm going for the third then! Still don't have much but I figured I'd post what I have for the text + lineart. Not sure what I'm going to go for in terms of background or colour style, though.

@ElCheeso I think the main problem with your mewtwo Cheeso is that the head is disproportionately large to the body - even though mewtwo does have a relatively large head. He has a very spindly body, and then large powerful legs and tail. Other than that it looks great.

Yeah cheers Furry, for starting this ridiculous trend of every thread on smogon needs its own logo. Now I know what it feels like being Zracknel for a week... So many logo requests! -.-

Yeah I agree Juicy, I saw that problem when I was first drawing it but was hoping it wasn't too obvious... oh well! It's pretty easily changed, I also made the legs longer/thicker, hopefully bringing him back into proportion. Btw Furai, could you be a bit more specific about what kind of expression you wanted on Mewtwo/whether you wanted Ray to just look angrier or to go back to the off-model WIP face? Also, did you want the face to be adjusted so he's looking more at Mewtwo or have the whole body moved back a bit with him angled the same way he is now?

Furai

Btw Furai, could you be a bit more specific about what kind of expression you wanted on Mewtwo/whether you wanted Ray to just look angrier or to go back to the off-model WIP face?
Back to the WIP face, it looked absolutely great in the WIP!

Also, did you want the face to be adjusted so he's looking more at Mewtwo or have the whole body moved back a bit with him angled the same way he is now?
The angle changed towards Mewtwo a bit, if you may (aka the former).

Muchas gracias, can't wait to see the outcome!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)