Syclar - Final Product

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Well here we are, folks. I am incredibly proud to say that it has taken us only one month to get this completed from start to finish (that number is on the dot, by the way). We had a lot of incredible contributions, and I think you guys really set the bar high for what could come out of this side-project in the future. I'm impressed as to how many of you read up on your history! It was cool to see people referring often to Syclant's process when providing their thoughts and submissions. Again, I'd like to personally thank every single one of you that contributed to this process in some way. You are all beautiful <3

In terms of weight and height, I've made the final selections on those, as is customary of a normal CAP TL. Syclant doesn't have a weight or height to go off of, so I used my gut. I've decided on 0'08" (0.2m) for its height, which is the same size as Natu, Foongus, and Budew. I know that most pre-evos of Bug-types fall into the category of one foot. However, I feel that Syclar could get away with being a tad smaller. There is precedence in Burmy, so I feel justified in this. It's also going to be 8.8lbs (4.0kg), which I know is another questionable choice. For the record, that's in the same category as Seedot, Shellder, and Mew. It's far lighter than any other existing Ice-type, true. However, most of its body is not made up of ice, so I feel alright with splurging a bit on its weight. In its Pokedex entry it "rides on gusts of wind", so I fear that any more weight would make that really questionable. Overall, I was going for "petite" in Syclar's dimensions.

This is a Final Product thread, yes, but I'd also like to encourage you guys to use this thread to talk about what you thought of the Gen4 CAP Pre-Evolution Process in general. Was it fun and enjoyable? Is it something worth pursuing? How would you change it in the future? These things curiously me greatly; I'd like to know what the public's open thoughts are about potentially continuing this in the future. If you have any questions on what that might look like, don't be afraid to ask them in this thread.

So without further delay, I present to you Syclar, the pre-evolution of Syclant.

Name: Syclar
Type: Ice / Bug
Abilities: Compoundeyes / Snow Cloak
Stats: 40 HP / 76 Atk / 45 Def / 74 SpA / 39 SpD / 91 Spe
Weight: 8.8lbs (4.0kg)
Height: 0'08" (0.2m)
Movepool:
Level Up
Code:
Level	Move
0	Fury Attack
0	Leer
5	Leech Life
8	Ice Shard
13	Focus Energy
18	Icy Wind
23	X-Scissor
28	Hail
35	Bug Buzz
42	Ice Beam
49	Sheer Cold

Evolve at Level 30 -> Ice Punch
TUTOR Move
Code:
Bug Bite
Counter
Earth Power
Fury Cutter
Icy Wind
Mimic
Snore
String Shot
Superpower
TM List
Code:
TM	Move
TM03	Water Pulse
TM06	Toxic
TM07	Hail
TM10	Hidden Power
TM12	Taunt
TM13	Ice Beam
TM14	Blizzard
TM17	Protect
TM21	Frustration
TM27	Return
TM32	Double Team
TM42	Facade
TM43	Secret Power
TM44	Rest
TM45	Attract
TM54	False Swipe
TM56	Fling
TM58	Endure
TM62	Silver Wind
TM72	Avalanche
TM75	Swords Dance
TM78	Captivate
TM81	X-Scissor
TM82	Sleep Talk
TM83	Natural Gift
TM87	Swagger
TM89	U-turn
TM90	Substitute

HM01 Cut
EGG Moves
Code:
Earth Power
Pin Missile
Spikes
Superpower
Tail Glow
Pokedex Entries:
Syclar, the Icicle Pokémon.

Diamond: SYCLAR typically live at the feet of tall, snow-capped mountains. From the day they hatch, they aspire to someday scale the tallest of peaks.

Pearl: SYCLAR celebrate the onset of winter by coming out of their summer burrows and using their small, sharp claws to skate on the fresh river ice.

Platinum: Riding the gusts of blizzards, a swarm of SYCLAR is doubly harmful to even the hardiest of crops; they eat whatever plant matter the cold winds and snow leave untouched.
Sprites:

Thank you all for your contributions. I think we have made something truly special here! I know that little Syclar will always have a place in my heart =)

I would open up art earlier. Since we already have a design for all of them, there is no need to wait for other steps to happen first.
From what I read, this does seem interesting and we should continue it.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
Highly upset that it doesn't have the density of a neutron star

Good project, guys, i dont see the need for any process edits so hopefully we can charge on into Embirch!

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
The process feels just right for future creations, in my opinion (okay, I agree with the art thing like uwnim mentioned). It's simple, well-timed and full of flavor, as it should be. Very enjoyable to contribute as well.

This process has been very simple, enjoyable and fun, unlike the main CAP where they argue a lot...xD It made me feel as if I helped really create Syclar.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Great little project to be involved with (helps I won a poll but still :P) Great work by everyone involved! I agree with the heights and weights too (Could of probably gotten away with even smaller).

The art could really go from dot point because we already have decent enough designs to work from. I think the whole process is really good though, everything we need is there. I think things might get a little more complicated with the 2 Stage prevolutions, but I am sure we can cope with that when it comes around.

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Gah, its so cute. I love this little guy.

Anyways, this was a really fun project, and I am very happy with how it worked. Honestly, other than potentially changing when art opens, as suggested above, I can't really see any reason to change anything about this process. It worked really well this time, so why change? That being said, things might need to operate slightly differently for Embirch/Flarelm, due to having two prevos to work with, but I think we should just stick with what we have and adjust as needed.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
What jas said. Especially about moving on to CAP2 prevoSSSSSS (plural).

I would open up art earlier. Since we already have a design for all of them, there is no need to wait for other steps to happen first.
^This. Art kinda held up the process because it was put up later. I mean, I love the art that came out, but we could definitely make this process even faster.
Anyways, great job everyone who worked on Syclar!

Incredible thing I was able to be a part of, thanks Birkal!! Also thanks and good job to everyone who contributed! :)

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
What is everyone's interest level on starting the next one? Would you like to wait until after CAP4 or start soon?

Bughouse

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I feel there's no reason not to. Though I'm not sure why this isn't a PRC question.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
What is everyone's interest level on starting the next one? Would you like to wait until after CAP4 or start soon?
I'd wait until after CaP4, then we can refine the system a little bit too. CaP4 is just starting to get to the super competitive section of Movesets and Stats so people would probably rather cover that than a Prevo.

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Isn't the question less "do we want to start the next one?" and more "how do we go about starting the next one?"

Next up, as most may recall, are Embirch and Flarelm, and we don't have a defined process yet for creating pre-evolutions in three-stage lines, where there is more than one to create. Do we make them at the same time? One after the other? Or are the projects entirely separate? How does that work?

Etc.

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think bmb brings up an important point. While I diasgree with DHR in that I believe the increased CAP forum traffic will actually help participation in the prevo project, I would be hesitant to start right away without knowing exactly how we are going to do it. Additionally, as mentioned on IRC, I think it would probably be best to wait until after the main CAP art stage is over so as to not have prevo art distract from that of the main CAP. However, if we can work out how we are doing both prevos in a 3 stage line before the art phase ends, then I see no reason not to start as soon as that time comes.

Bughouse

I think that the easiest option for constructing the three stage line is to do things as combined as possible. I would personally prefer to see movepool, stat, and art submissions all be dual so as both to not have the process drag and to maintain as continuous flavor as possible.

Pokedex entries and sprites could be voted on separately as entries are entirely flavor and can vary across lines, while sprites are derived from art.

Ullar

card-carrying wife-guy
is a Smogon Discord Contributor
I just realized something.

This is missing a party sprite.

No, not that. I mean a sprite to represent it in the 'Party' screen of your game.

...yes, ik it would help out ASB more than the community at large, but everyone else got one...it's only fair, imo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)