Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer - UU Edition

Nas

Banned deucer.
Ditto takes entry hazard damage before it transforms. (Entry hazards act before abilities)

I just had an battle in UU. A Tangrowth hit my Cofag with Knock Off and his ability became Mummy , right? i moved the cursor on Tangrowth and said it had Mummy ability. Then why , when he switched out he still got HP back? (that happened os PS) Also my Snorlax hit sometimes that Tangrowth with Body Slam and his ability didn't became Mummy.

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
That's most likely a glitch with the program. Your understanding of the game's mechanics is correct.

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
I just had an battle in UU. A Tangrowth hit my Cofag with Knock Off and his ability became Mummy , right? i moved the cursor on Tangrowth and said it had Mummy ability. Then why , when he switched out he still got HP back? (that happened os PS) Also my Snorlax hit sometimes that Tangrowth with Body Slam and his ability didn't became Mummy.

When did your Snorlax hit Tangrowth? You have to take into account that when a pokemon that became Mummy switches out the effect of Mummy disappears, so when it switches in again its ability is the "normal" one again (as in, Mummy effect only lasts till the pokemon switches out).

This doesn't mean Regenerator should heal it if he became Mummy (it won't work if tangrowth switches out while it's Mummy; but if it comes back into the field it will have Regenerator again and it will work as normal)

When did your Snorlax hit Tangrowth? You have to take into account that when a pokemon that became Mummy switches out the effect of Mummy disappears, so when it switches in again its ability is the "normal" one again (as in, Mummy effect only lasts till the pokemon switches out).

This doesn't mean Regenerator should heal it if he became Mummy (it won't work if tangrowth switches out while it's Mummy; but if it comes back into the field it will have Regenerator again and it will work as normal)
The weird thing is that the game still displayed that Tangrowth had Mummy even after switch. I think was a sort of bug.

Ahhh. Then can someone please tell me who would make a good offensive partner for Honchkrow? Someone to help take advantage of his Moxie...

Ace Emerald

Cyclic, lunar, metamorphosing
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Ahhh. Then can someone please tell me who would make a good offensive partner for Honchkrow? Someone to help take advantage of his Moxie...
Smogon has very comprehensive analyses. On each set, good teammates are listed when you click "Team Options & Additional Comments." Here is Honchkrow's analysis, it lists many great teammates. Hope this helped!

Smogon has very comprehensive analyses. On each set, good teammates are listed when you click "Team Options & Additional Comments." Here is Honchkrow's analysis, it lists many great teammates. Hope this helped!
Thank you, but I have read that prior and it only lists support teammates, like Paralysis, Hazards, Wish and Magneton removing Steels. What I'm looking for is an offensive partner who can severely weaken the opponent's team, allowing Honchkrow to come in late game, pick off a weakened foe and start sweeping with Moxie. Hopefully this made it more clear. Really, thanks for taking the time to help me out.

I'm interested in playing in the UU teir to stall my heart out, like I use to be able to do in OU. I am just wondering if someone can give a newbie here some general tips and tricks to UU stall so I can avoid some common pitfalls.

thanks ^_^

I'm interested in playing in the UU teir to stall my heart out, like I use to be able to do in OU. I am just wondering if someone can give a newbie here some general tips and tricks to UU stall so I can avoid some common pitfalls.

thanks ^_^
HAZARDS. There's Roserade or Froslass to set up Spikes, and many Pokemon to set up Stealth Rock, like Bronzong, Registeel, Swampert and Rhyperior.

Does Serene Grace affect high crit rate moves? As in, will Meloetta-P have a higher crit chance with Shadow Claw than Ambipom?

Does Serene Grace affect high crit rate moves? As in, will Meloetta-P have a higher crit chance with Shadow Claw than Ambipom?
No, increased critical hit chance doesn't count as a secondary effect. As a practical application of this, Stone Edge will not be boosted by Sheer Force

My friend is holding a tournament at school with the rules:
All Ubers, OUs, and BLs are Banned, no Entry Hazards, no Smeargle, and Politoed, Blaziken, and Ninetales can be used so long as they go without their busted abilities...

Can someone give me a list of what to consider, what roles need to be filled for a balanced team, and what to look out for?

Thanks,
-Crouton

Ace Emerald

Cyclic, lunar, metamorphosing
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Thank you, but I have read that prior and it only lists support teammates, like Paralysis, Hazards, Wish and Magneton removing Steels. What I'm looking for is an offensive partner who can severely weaken the opponent's team, allowing Honchkrow to come in late game, pick off a weakened foe and start sweeping with Moxie. Hopefully this made it more clear. Really, thanks for taking the time to help me out.
Alright, lets see if this helps more. You're looking for sheer damage output, so I suggest a powerful and fast choice spammer. Choice Band Flygon is great fit I think. Its a powerhouse, and even without the scarf boost he hits hard. He'll definitely weaken the opposing team. Not much can take take an Outrage, and incidentally, those Pokemon that can are the ones Honchkrow wants weakened: steel types and really physically bulky Pokemon. To be clear, I haven't tested this, but in theory they are pretty great together.

Okay so I used to play PO a lot then I stopped but recently I got back into it and I have a 7-3 RU Defensive orientated team. Now that I have lost my showstopper in Cofag, I have decided to step it up to UU, how do you think Cofag will fair in this tier?

Nas

Banned deucer.
The top players in the tier have been using Cofagrigus for a long time because it is a huge asset to Bulky Offense teams, which can generally take advantage of Trick Room by using slow Pokemon such as Nidoqueen and Snorlax. Cofagrigus hard counters Heracross and Mienshao better than anything else, and is a nightmare for offense to face because of Trick Room. Given the little time I was able to ladder yesterday, I saw (as I expected) a huge increase in Rain Dance teams which is yet another reason to use Cofagrigus, because aside from Kingdra it's probably the best Pokemon for combating that playstyle.

ss234

bop.
@croutonking: Learning the whole UU metagame is a bit difficult. To gain more knowledge the best thing you can do is lurk around, and help out wherever you can. Generally when building a team, I choose a pokemon/playstyle I want to use. Then I get a core like a Fire-Water-Grass core that may or may not involve the original poke. Finally, I add a Stealth Rock setter. For more information on which pokes work well with which, check them out in the strategy dex or the analysis's in the C&C section.

What does everyone think of this set for a Mew? I based it off of what I think is a very effective Reuniclus set in OU, and can now be used by Mew effectively in UU.

Mew@Leftovers
252 HP/252 Def/4 SpD
Nature: Bold

Moves:
~Psyshock/Psychic
~Aura Sphere
~Calm Mind
~Softboiled

This set is exactly the same as the Reuniclus counterpart, and while Mew may have other sets it can pull off that Reuniclus can't, such as a Nasty Plot set, this Mew aims to be an extremely bulky tank with it's 100/100/100 defenses being complemented by continual Calm Mind boosts. I've played with this a few times in UU and it seems to do its job well, tanking hits well while simultaneously proving to be a major offensive force after only one or two Calm Minds. However, it is completely walled by Psychic types and has speed problems, but I think it could be a new and effective set for Mew. Although I'm not sure how impressive it is coming up with a new set for one of the most versatile Pokemon in the game. What do you guys think of this set on Mew?

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
In my opinion, it's for the most part outclassed by Nasty Plot Mew, because honestly, there isn't anything you're beating with Calm Mind that you weren't with Nasty Plot, and using a slow spread only means you let stuff like CB Heracross, Chandelure, or Offensive Roserade outspeed and KO / Sleep Mew, because all the pokemon you can beat with a Calm Mind set, you were already able to defeat with a Nasty Plot set, as you could simply outspeed / speed tie and KO them before they can move. Calm Mind Mew has also the problem of being significantly weaker, which means that phazers like Blastoise or Snorlax have an easier time coming in to stop any boosts Mew had set up. And let's not forget the fact that, unlike Reuniclus, Mew doesn't have access to such a wonderful ability as Magic Guard, which is the reason Reuniclus is viable in OU.

So here's my question:
If I use magic coat and the opponent uses will-o-wisp and the pokemon that uses will-o-wisp has flash fire, will flashfire activate when it is reflected or will it burn the pokemon?
Ie. jirachi uses magic coat as a flash fire heatran uses will-o-wisp.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)