VGC Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer - Mark II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can somebody tell me how to participate in VGC 2013? I'm from Greece, so there are no Nationals for my country. And yeah, I have no idea what to do.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
The European events are "open to all players in good standing," so you can just go to whichever one is most convenient for you. The regionals will be in the spring, so we'll have more specific details when that time gets closer.

Alright. And with "go to whichever one is most convenient for you" what do you mean? I mean will the battles be conducted via Wi-Fi or will I have to travel to a specific place?

It's VGC - an official competition. It can give you a free pass to the World's in Vancouver. I think it's worth travelling. Every year it's a different place, last year in Europe Nationals were held in 5 countries - Germany, UK, Spain, Italy and France. The details haven't been revealed yet but it's known you can travel to any Regionals in Europe if you own a legal European cartridge.

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Currently, it isn't possible for Swampert to learn both Wide Guard, a 5th gen Breed Move, and Ice Punch, a Tutor move, at the same time. While it becomes possible with BW2, changes introduced in BW2 aren't eligible for the upcoming October Regionals.

When I want to EV train a Pokemon does it matter if I catch it or if I breed it?
No, the EVs will affect your Pokemon in the same way but you have to remember about IVs which also have influence on your Pokemon's stats - it's possible to RNG a Pokemon when you catch it or when you breed it and after the moment you get it it's not possible to change IVs in a legal way.

Hey guys!

There's a local tourney coming up here in México City with VGC rules, but I kinda lost ability in all this time I've been inactive; I have two weeks to prepare for this, but I've got no team and no knowledge of the metagame...

Anyone willing to help me? I'd really aprecciate(or however it is written) it.

Oh, and don't worry about RNGing or anything, I can just get them from pokechek :P

Do the dates when Pokemon are captured or hatched affect their legitimacy for official tournaments? Specifically, does it matter if a Pokemon has a capture/hatch date in the future? I'm referring to Pokemon captured/hatched in regular game play with the DS timer set in the future (or to a date before the Pokemon existed in the games). Many thanks.

Biosci

Danger!?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnuswon the 3rd Smogon VGC Tournamentis a Past SCL Champion
No the dates don't matter at all. Even if the Pokemon was caught in the year 2040 it won't be flagged at all if it is perfectly legitimate.

I would NEVER cheat in VGC, but would BREEDING WITH, NOT USING RNGed Pokemon pass the hack check?

EX:
Trying to get a Pikachu
Breed with perfect IVed Good natured Pikachus that were created through Pokegen
Make them breed
Use their offspring in VGC

Then would the offspring pass the hack checks?

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
RNG and Pokégen are two completely different things. The former is allowed, the latter is not. If you want to learn about RNG, you can check out Smogon's guide and the threads in the Wi-Fi forum, or if you don't think you'll be able to learn that in time then I recommend checking out this thread (even if you'd rather breed the Pokémon yourself, you can probably find good parents from one of the users there - I'd suggest starting with the ones that have Pokécheck links, since the ribbons it adds are irrelevant if you're breeding).

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Why do people change their teams, from Regional to Nats, and Nats to worlds? And which kind of team works best for each?
Well, in some cases you'll be facing some of the same people in Regionals, as you do in Nats. It can put you in a disadvantage if you run into a rematch situation while running the same team, as the opponent will know most of the tricks to your team before you even start the battle. I should know, because it happened to me.

Teams with a bit of a one-shot surprise gimmick to them can be effective for best of 1 matches. But since the regionals have a best of 3 top cut to them now, you're best off trying to run a team with some more consistancy for all tournament levels.

Why do people change their teams, from Regional to Nats, and Nats to worlds? And which kind of team works best for each?
There's also the fact that, as months pass, different strategies become more common, so people change their team either to make use of newly popularised strategies or to counter them. For instance, at UK nationals there was barely a successful team that didn't include Zapdos, while at worlds I'm not sure if I saw any at all.

Hi. BW2 are on the way and i need a surfer with a competitive moveset (preferably mixed sweeper/attacker-Plz consider tutor moves)
i was thinking:
Audino@Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP/252 Sp. Atk/4 Def
Nature: Bold/Modest
Moves:
Hyper Voice-Tutored Special STAB
Surf-Hits rock types and is very (overly) neutral in coverage
Psyshock-Makes the set "mixed" Again however, too neutral,
but does kill fighting types
Calm Mind-The crux! Turns Audino super super bulky & offers a shot at attacking

I ran the moves by a type coverage calc, and Normal/Water/Psychic only hits 197
Pokemon for SE damage :/
But if I replace Psyshock with flamethrower, Shadow Ball/T-bolt, i'll lose that mix factor...Your say?
Also, I was thinking Simipour...
Simipour@Expert Belt
Nature: Hasty
Surf
Ice Beam
??? (Superpower, but then jellicent walls you...Crunch/SP, idk)
Work Up
252 Sp atk/252 speed/4 atk
Btw, ik Audino gets work up, but that takes bulk away and forces me to
split its already pretty bad base 60 offenses ...
So???

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
Unless you're building your team around it (in which case you should already know what you want to use), Surf really isn't a good move to just throw in, since unlike Earthquake Water immunities are a lot harder to come by and you don't want to have to constantly Protect just to be able to attack without hurting your partner. And Audino has no business being used as an offensive Pokémon.

Its meant to be bulky too. I already said,
there are better coverage moves than Surf, but you
need it. Also, who'd you use for a mixed attacker sporting
surf? I'm stumped on this...
My team is:
Charizard-Alakazam-Infernape-Venusaur-Porygon-Z
if that helps........

Would this make a decent Helping Hand Dusclops?
HP/ATK/DEF/SP.ATK/SP.D/SPEED

28/15/25/22/27/13- Careful Nature. It sure was a pain in my butt to get, and even then soft reseting for it took a long time too.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
Its meant to be bulky too. I already said,
there are better coverage moves than Surf, but you
need it. Also, who'd you use for a mixed attacker sporting
surf? I'm stumped on this...
My team is:
Charizard-Alakazam-Infernape-Venusaur-Porygon-Z
if that helps........
But there are plenty of bulky Pokémon that have much better attacking stats, so if you want to use a bulky attacker you should be using one of them instead. If you want to use Audino, you should play to its strengths, particularly its excellent support movepool.

You really should not be using Surf on that team, Venusaur is the only one that can handle being hit by it. If you want the Water coverage, use an attack that doesn't hit the partner instead. As for good Water attackers, there are quite a few good choices. If you want bulk, then Vaporeon, Suicune, Slowbro/king, Gastrodon, and Rotom-W are probably your best choices.
Would this make a decent Helping Hand Dusclops?
HP/ATK/DEF/SP.ATK/SP.D/SPEED

28/15/25/22/27/13- Careful Nature. It sure was a pain in my butt to get, and even then soft reseting for it took a long time too.
Personally I would consider keeping, but you can probably get better than that since three stats are basically irrelevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)