what is your favorite movie?

Scott Pilgrim is pretty high on my list, but it's basically a tie between:

Fantastic Mr. Fox or

Princess Bride

a clockwork orange is an oldie but a goodie. british people make some fucked up movies.

the butterfly effect: probably the best kutcher movie. one of my favorites, the plot is so entertaining. id say ive watched it like 7 or 8 times. every sequel was terrible.

and finally 8 mile, simply because ive always loved eminem and watching this movie growing up made me appreciate his music even more. plus those rap battles were the shit.

honorable mentions: inception, the dark knight, toy story, the lion king, the first pokemon movie (just a classic), the breakfast club, and forrest gump.

Never give up,
never surrender.

There are so many more credible choices for my favorite movie but this is the one that came to mind first. It's so funny as both a homage and a parody to Star Trek that I can just keep watching it repeatedly.

And Sigourney Weaver has never been as hot as she was in this movie.

Other good choices I've seen so far: Butterfly Effect, Beavis and Butthead do America, Rush Hour 2, and Kung Pow.

EDIT:

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Movies are my passion. I don't think a single day goes by where I don't watch one. Also three terabytes of film is saved on various external devices and love them all. My taste has developed over the years to enjoy Westerns more and probably Kung Fu movies too.

For my favorite movies I enjoy Once Upon a Time in the West, The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, The Mercenary (all are on Netflix streaming and rule). As for Kung Fu movies I loved Fists of Fury and the Big Boss, but Bruce Lee is the fucking man and anything he's in rule.

I still enjoy Fight Club, that film is utterly perfect in script, acting, and directing. Scott Pilgrim. Vs. The World has a place in my heart along with the first Iron Man (just really enjoyed it).

Wes Anderson may be my favorite director. The Royal Tenebaums, The Darjeeling Limited, and Moonrise Kingdom were all phenomenal.

Then we have some indie films that deserve way more credit, like Bellflower, Moon, and Wristcutters: a Love Story. These three tell these amazing stories and do better at it on their entirely limited budget. I think the term "favorite movie" is hard for me because there are so many amazing films that it would probably take me a day, straight, to just list the most dominant ones off the top of my head.

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus

The Matrix Trilogy as a whole is by far my favorite movie/movie series (runner ups being Nolan's Batman, HTTYD, Scott Pilgrim, and Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon). I was originally drawn to it because of the high intensity fight scenes, but the more I watched it the more the story stood out to me.

Fun fact: through the filming of the Matrix Reloaded Car Chase scene (the production crew built their own highway for it) they managed to wreck all 300 cars donated to them by GM.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
So many good movies in this thread. I adore Kung Pow: Enter the Fist and always crack up when I watch that movie. Scott Pilgrim is fantastic too. Princess Bride, Fantastic Mr. Fox, Ocean's Eleven, and so many others are great too. Special mention goes out to The Prestige as well; that movie is so darn good. I'm going to add one to the list that's pretty obvious for many.

The Lion King holds a special place in my heart for how it's persevered throughout time. I adored this movie as a child; Timon and Pumbaa always me me smile. When I grew older, I really grew to enjoy Scar and his role in the film that often goes unnoticed as a child. He's the essence of Disney villain with his witty quotes and cunning demeanor. The characters are absolutely unforgettable and the animation is gorgeous, especially considering the time period that it was made in. Everything in this movie was spot on, from the music to the plot development and purpose.

When this was released in 3D, our college hosted a "free movie night" where all students could attend for free. Needless to say, the theater was packed. I was surrounded by my friends, and we had a blast. The building went in uproar when Rafiki hoisted young Simba into the air, and everyone got choked up when Timon and Pumbaa put on their "puppy dog eyes" at the end of "Can You Feel the Love Tonight". We sang along to the entire movie; my roommate and I pretty much have the entire movie memorized, so we quoted it endlessly. I guess this movie holds such a special place in my heart because I've enjoyed it at every stage of my life thus far. I don't think I'll ever get tired of this classic.

Matthew

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just finished Daydream Nation which was a good love story movie, I'd consider it a better Adventureland or Nick and Nora's infinite playlist (though liked both of those too)

lots

so many more... anything ghibli, how to train your dragon, titan AE, batmans, coraline, corpse bride, NMBC...

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
Johnny Dangerously!

It's just a great spoof of gangster films. So many funny scenes (Danny Vermin's "ONCE" quote, "it shoots through schools", etc.). If I went over everything, I'd almost be summing up the entire movie, so I'd just recommend everyone to watch this movie.

i like to think my taste in film is fairly diverse. my all-time top three are:

pulp fiction

casablanca

2001: a space oddysey

i saw this great french film recently:

tomboy is just the cutest film i've ever seen. it's about a transgendered 10(ish)-year-old attempting to fit in with a new identity in a new town. the acting is superb and the film's atmosphere is incredibly natural (almost like a documentary). even if you don't understand french, put the subtitles on and watch this (i'm looking at you matt!!)

Ninahaza

You'll always be a part of me
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
look at all of you and your "its a tie between x and x and x".

for me there is one clear winner. a movie i have seen OVER 30 TIMES. a soundtrack that plays to the very beat of my heart. a movie that recaptures my every being time after time, and the worst part is that its not even like my favorite genre of movies and does not even have any favorite actors of mine (Jackie chan, William Robbins, etc).

I adore films. There are so many that I love: Jurassic Park, Marvel/DC films, lord of the rings, star wars, jaws, american pie, superbad, etc. But there's one that stands out above all the rest for me:

I must have watched this film like 15 times, because it's fucking HILARIOUS. i know every scene off by heart, but that doesn't stop me from rolling around the floor laughing when i watch it. it's a film everybody can enjoy too.

One of these, probably. The Austin Powers trilogy is one of the better things to ever happen to mankind. The Big Lebowski is a bit more intelligent, but still brilliant.

Dark Fallen Angel

FIDDLESTICKS IS ALSO GOOD ON MID!
I don't want to say only my first favorite, but my five favorite films, in this order:

The best of all HP Movies, no questions asked

Seriously, if you find an english version of this movie, WATCH IT! You may not sleep during a few days, however I couldn't find an english-language poster for this movie, but the title is Embodiment of Evil.

The music "Arabian nights" echoes in my head like a voice on a lost valley.

And this is because I like Yu-Gi-Oh!

It was a long time ago but it's still one of my favorite movies even though I can't remember some parts.

I adore films. There are so many that I love: Jurassic Park, Marvel/DC films, lord of the rings, star wars, jaws, american pie, superbad, etc. But there's one that stands out above all the rest for me:

I must have watched this film like 15 times, because it's fucking HILARIOUS. i know every scene off by heart, but that doesn't stop me from rolling around the floor laughing when i watch it. it's a film everybody can enjoy too.
A person could have a lot of fun trying to guess which film this is...

My favourite movie would be this:

Not only is it the most beautifully shot movie I've ever seen, but it's also got an extremely charming story at its centre which doubles as a love letter to storytelling and to the medium of cinema as a whole.

v

protected by a silver spoon
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I bet Vader's favorite movie is Requiem for a Dream
it's up there

actually I like BOTH of the heroin movies a LOT, but my favorite movies are

and

but my favorite genre is HEROIN MOVIES

might actually be my favorite

toy story 3 as well and I am TOO indecisive for this thread

Matthew

i saw this great french film recently:

tomboy is just the cutest film i've ever seen. it's about a transgendered 10(ish)-year-old attempting to fit in with a new identity in a new town. the acting is superb and the film's atmosphere is incredibly natural (almost like a documentary). even if you don't understand french, put the subtitles on and watch this (i'm looking at you matt!!)
Just finished Tomboy and holy shit that was a pretty sweet movie. Why can't America have good child actors anymore?

EDIT:
Don't even bring up that piss-poor excuse of a child actor in the the Road, don't you fucking dare

EDIT two:

Twelve Monkeys was really good as was the 28 min short that it was originally based off of La Jetée

I'm no movie expert but I have a few movies that I just adore and would watch over and over again

BUT HANDS DOWN THIS IS MY FAVORITE:

Dave

formerly Stone Cold
is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Five-Time Past WCoP Champion
@Matthew, I am with you. I have a huge passion for film, my netflix queue continues to increase with over 100 critically acclaimed films, most from before 1980. I am extremely critical of film but theres a great feeling when you experience a truly good movie.

Rocky
Stand By Me
Oldboy
Into the Wild
Brick

Are just a few movies that I absolutely love and could be considered a "top 5".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)