The Dark Horse Project IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

ganj4lF

Nobody is safe from the power of science!
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Did a speed run of the challenge since I don't know if I have time to retry it; my schedule will be pretty busy in the next weeks. Prolly could have played better and lost less battles (although hax is always ready to ruin everything...) but still was fun and interesting. I used the same team that got me into 1880s for the Outsiders Challenge, since I really enjoyed building and playing it (thinking about an RMT on the topic). Edited the original post with proof. And, first to the finish line!

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Yep! My apologies for being unclear. The Dark Horse Project runs off of the past month's statistics, not the past three. Consider your selections from this post. Anything under 5% on the Overused stats for September is fair game.

And in response to ginganinja's run: you need a standard deviation lower than 80. For those of you reading this who don't know what that means, it's the number after the ± on your Glicko2 rating. You need that to make the leaderboard anyways, so this should be self explanatory. Remember, if you have any questions, let us know!

Pokemon Showdown! Username: MCHammerArm
Hall of Fame Standing: None with current team, #20 previously
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Mew
Current Ladder Standing on Pokemon Showdown!: None

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
GANJ4LF!!!! You are too fast xD Find some time to ladder, since you'll easily get into Silver Class at this rate.

Btw, the ladder points is referring to Glicko2 rating, so you actually have 1977, NOT 1865!

I'm glad that Mew set worked for you, although your Memento set was also awesome in giving your Sweepers the set-up opportunities they need. Which Pokemon worked better for you?

PS: ginganinja u nub, you need to reach top 100

Patolegend!

Fan of 1000 Arrow 'Slash
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Pokemon Showdown! Username: El Dark Frog
Dark Horse Pokemon: Abomasnow
Screenshot of Top 100 Ladder Ranking: http://tinypic.com/r/mb32tz/6 (Rank 44, 1956 ACRE, 2056 +- 72 Glicko)
Dark Horse Pokemon Complete Set:

Finally found time, and made it!

EL DARK FROG

Rocky (Toxicroak) (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Dry Skin
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch

An absolute menace with the right support (rain), and very impressive in previous metas, with the new drain punch tutor he becomes a true beast, easing its woes in other weathers.

Frogface (Politoed) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SAtk
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Perish Song
- Surf

Stampy (Mamoswine) (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Icicle Spear

Ringo Starr (Jirachi) @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Thunder
- Substitute
- Calm Mind

Zeus (Tornadus-Therian) (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Regenerator
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Taunt

Rocky (Toxicroak) (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Dry Skin
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch

Medusa (Hydreigon) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 66 SAtk / 140 SDef / 52 Spd
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Roost
- Surf
- Taunt

How did you choose your Dark Horse Pokemon for this project? What lead you to choose the Pokemon you did? Did you have regrets or were you happy with your selection?

I've liked 'Croak for a while, having had him in many of my teams. He's amazing in rain, but requires a lot of prediction. The hell of sucker punching a Celebi, only to have it fail and twave you is irritating to say the least. He is excellent against threats such as terrakion, latios, dragonite, and countless others. The amount of times defensive Gliscor stayed in to get ice punched was endless.

How did you go about building a team for your Dark Horse Pokemon? Which kinds of teammates did you consider? What factors contributed to the team you created?

I already had a team featuring him before hand, so I just had to make a few tweaks to that.

Do you think it is more difficult or less difficult to ladder with a Dark Horse Pokemon? Why? Does the element of surprise play a factor in your battles? Is it easier to fight with a "highly used"" team or with Pokemon that are less common?

Croak worked well for what I needed him for. I thought he might be outclassed by Keldeo, but his typing and recovery where absolutely essential. He served as my main check to Terrakion, allowing me to switch to Tornadus-T if earthquake was coming, as well as Conkeldurr if Tornadus was out of action. Many players simply didn't know what to expect either, as it isn't as common, so I guess the surprise factor played its part.

(For Hall of Fame members only) How did you reach the Hall of Fame? Was it easy or difficult? Did having a Dark Horse Pokemon on your team benefit you? What advice would you give to those laddering with Dark Horse Pokemon?

I was close to the top 100 when the ladder reset, and I found it difficult afterwards, due to Garchomp coming down, and the combination of Chomp-Gene-Trio appearing on every team.

I'm gonna carry on with this team to see if I can take it higher, as it's pretty fun to play with! I'll update the post again if I do.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Master of Six Kings, ganj4lf just reached HoF with Mew, so it's off-limits now D:

Jirachee

phoenix reborn
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
pokemon showdown username: steven stamkos
hall of fame standing: none
dark horse pokemon currently working with: shaymin
current ladder standing on pokemon showdown: none

ganj4lF

Nobody is safe from the power of science!
is a Team Rater Alumnus
I'm glad that Mew set worked for you, although your Memento set was also awesome in giving your Sweepers the set-up opportunities they need. Which Pokemon worked better for you?
They both have their merits, however I find Mew more consistent since it can dish out damage to a wider range of threats and does not depend on a Fire Gem to OHKO threats like Scizor or the likes. Also I appreciate the fact that nothing can safely switch and spin, Starmie was really annoying when I was using Uxie since it just switched and forced me to risk Gengar or to play without SR. Also, while Memento eases set-ups, I rarely found myself taking full advantage of it. Many threats aren't OHKO'd by +2 Espeed (Terrakion for example), thus I found myself throwing out attacks to avoid being forced to switch, and this basically gave away the usefulness of Memento since there are many other ways to get a free switch without sacrificing a poke. Keldeo can get a CM up, but then what you're gonna do if they switch into Latios, Tornadus or even Tentacruel? Again, you're forced to just attack to avoid having wasted a turn for a +1 that you cannot take advantage of. This, added to the fact that Mew can come in later to set up SR again, be foddered, or whatnot, pull off a little sweep (it does also that, against unprepared opponents...) makes me conclude that overall Mew is quite better, although that Uxie set was really lovely!

And, about continue laddering...my net just decided to screw my laddering attempt and crashed five f*****g times in 15 minutes, basically destroying my rating. I may start up again with a fresh alt if I find the time (is that allowed right?), although I'm kinda satisfied with the current result. After all, laddering up to 1850+ once could be due to luck, but doing that two times means the team is not that bad at all!

Pokemon Showdown! Username: Monsey
Hall of fame standing:-
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Sharpedo
Current Ladder Standing on Pokemon Showdown!: ARCE: 2004, Glicko 2: 2135

For some reason I can't find my rank on the leader bored.
Ranking

Pokemon Showdown! Username: Ashirogi Muto
Hall of fame standing:-
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Xatu
Current Ladder Standing on Pokemon Showdown!:nothing yet

Yo, so I am finally home, and ready to ladder.

The OP was posted less than 12 hours ago, and we already have people making the HoF. A lot of people probably haven't even noticed this thread yet. I feel like there oughta be a 24-hour grace period, in which multiple people can enter the HoF with the same Pokemon. This would prevent there being any "victims of schedule", who simply weren't able to start the challenge before then.
For those who can't tell, I'm ranting that Sandslash is gone and I haven't even gotten the chance to do a single battle yet. Yes, I am proposing this for personal gain. But you can't deny that it is actually unfair to anyone in my situation.

edit: Changing my alt to Windbreake, because Rainboots Dark Horse got stolen because I neglected to choose a password for it this morning...

oh god I am so sorry D: at least you still have Metagross

Yep! My apologies for being unclear. The Dark Horse Project runs off of the past month's statistics, not the past three. Consider your selections from this post. Anything under 5% on the Overused stats for September is fair game.
Could the list be updated then, please? It currently says Landorus-T is not eligible but on the September-only statistics he barely makes the cut (4,9%) and, let's be honest, LanDog is pretty cool. I'm pretty sure there are 1 or 2 more mons in this "limbo".

EDIT: Actually, only Metagross is in the "limbo" with Lando-T and he's already been brought up. Derp.

EDIT2: Keldeo is now an eligible "Dark Horse". How fitting.

EDIT3:
It's fine :P
I was only mad because I've been using Metagross and Sandslash on my team forever. I didn't actually build a team for this, I'm just using the same old one I've been using for like a month. Basically, I'm lazy and wanted to have Sandslash so that I wouldn't have to make a team.
That puts us at the same level of lazyness, lol :P

alkinesthetase

<@dtc> every day with alk is a bad day
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I corrected my list appropriately with Birkal's update about half an hour ago, but lando-t has just enough usage in one of the two percentages to break the 5% barrier. (Compare to keldeo, who has just enough usage in the OTHER percentage.) I chose to cut them both and put them on the list for consistency's sake, and since they were also above 5% in the 3-month stats, it felt logical to me. Basically I was looking at them thinking "okay can I justify cutting one but not the other?" and it was 2 percentages out of 3 being over 5%, so the easiest thing was to take them both.

Here are the Sept-only stats right at the bottom of the barrel (left being percent usage, right being percent real usage):
Code:
 | 45   | Keldeo             | 31591  |  5.097% | 24245  |  4.823% | 
 | 46   | Landorus-Therian   | 30597  |  4.936% | 25693  |  5.111% | 
 | 47   | Metagross          | 30310  |  4.890% | 24557  |  4.885% |
And here are the 3-month stats for those same mons:
Code:
 | 45   | Keldeo             |  5.183% |
 | 46   | Landorus-Therian   |  5.087% |
 | 47   | Metagross          |  5.025% |
Metagross is legal now though, definitely.

oh god I am so sorry D: at least you still have Metagross
It's fine :P
I was only mad because I've been using Metagross and Sandslash on my team forever. I didn't actually build a team for this, I'm just using the same old one I've been using for like a month. Basically, I'm lazy and wanted to have Sandslash so that I wouldn't have to make a team.
But you're right, I still got Meta.

edit: PS! ladder is down for me, so I'll come back to laddering in a few hours... man I missed this since March

Pokemon Showdown! Username: esrohkrad
Hall of Fame Standing: none
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Mienshao/Xatu
Current Ladder Standing on Pokemon Showdown!: none

Going to be using a Volt-Turn team as they got some nice new toys in Genesect and Landorus - T

Well come to ask you something, I just did my first fight and looks just the way my rating went up, I wonder if even with this growth rater of absurdity should still continue to ladder.

Here was my attempt at it, I had one free evening and I went about 30-6 or something.

I was using Lanturn for this challenge, a ResTalk set that worked amazingly well, especially against the Rain Teams that I was seeing a lot. Lanturn is hands down one of the best answers to the combination of Tornadus-T / Thundurus-T / Genesect, and it was really fun to use. I really didn't have any trouble against Rain, but Sun was a pretty difficult matchup. Basically my team was just random hyper offense with a Lanturn for Rain. I had a Rock Polish Landorus for Sun, and Specs Keldeo / Scarf Genesect / Sub SD Terrakion core, with a lead Mew. Hyper Offense was something I've never used before, but it worked pretty damn well. I'm thinking it's the best weatherless playstyle to use, as it performs well against most weather teams. The MVP of this team was definitely Lanturn. Honestly, if you need something for Rain, use this. I definitely need to start using Hyper Offense more, it's crazy fun to use. Thanks for Birkal, Pocket, ginganinja and alkinesthetase for setting this up, and everyone else involved it. I might ladder at a later time to see how much higher I can get, we'll see.

Mew @ Normal Gem
Trait: Synchronize
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Tailwind
- Explosion

Lanturn (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 52 HP / 252 Def / 204 SDef
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Sleep Talk
- Rest
- Volt Switch

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Ghost]
- Secret Sword

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Download
EVs: 112 Atk / 144 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature
- U-turn
- Bug Buzz
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt

Terrakion @ Rock Gem
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance

Landorus (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Rock Polish
- Earth Power
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]

canno

formerly The Reptile
Pokemon Showdown! Username: BattleToads
Hall of Fame Standing: None
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Toxicroak
Current Ladder Standing on Pokemon Showdown!: Haven't started. :P

Pokemon Showdown! Username: Jizz in My Pants
Hall of Fame Standing:
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Wobbufet
Current Ladder Standing on Pokemon Showdown!:

Pokemon Showdown! Username: Heart of Justice
Hall of Fame Standing: None yet
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Landorus-Therian
Current Ladder Standing on Pokemon Showdown!:1000

alkinesthetase

<@dtc> every day with alk is a bad day
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Lando-T very narrowly misses the cutoff - one of its sept-only percentages is above 5%, the other is below, and since its 3-month percentage is above 5% as well it's not an eligible dark horse, sorry

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
PS! Username: ElectrolyteDH
Hall of Fame Standing: Pending
Dark Horse: COBALION (couldn't even find him on the usage list)
Current ladder ranking: 1000

PS! Username: Cossack
Hall of Fame Standing: None
Dark Horse: Froslass
Current Ladder Ranking: None yet

Changing name since my ranking has sort of stalled after a loss streak.

Pokemon Showdown! Username: MaximizedGamer-TDH
Hall of Fame Standing: none
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Rotom-Frost
Current Ladder Standing on Pokemon Showdown!: 1263 [12/12/0]

Lady Alex

Mew is blue
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Aww. it's so nice to see this project again. I'm very much looking forward to it

Pokemon Showdown! Username: Miss K.
Hall of Fame Standing: Archives (4 times) BW2: Success
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working with: Kingdra
Current Ladder Standing on Pokemon Showdown!: ACRE- 2255 Glicko2- 2339

Sucess

Updated ladder position

Team I used
Jirachi @ Leftovers Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 216 SDef / 40 Spd
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Iron Head
- Wish
- Protect
- Body Slam

Kingdra (M) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Hydro Pump
- Dragon Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Sleep Talk

Terrakion @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge

Rotom-W @ Chesto Berry
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 112 HP / 252 SAtk / 144 Spd
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rest

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Download
EVs: 8 Atk / 250 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- U-turn
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower
- Bug Buzz

Tyranitar (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Sand Stream
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Fire Blast
- Superpower

Kingdra (M) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Hydro Pump
- Dragon Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Sleep Talk

This set is breloom's worst nightmare. While I didn't initially think of breloom when I decided on using Kingdra, I realized that I might as well use sleep talk as the final move since it doesn't really need any other coverage moves (besides maybe hp fire, but the rest of my team more than adequately deals with ferrothorn). Hydro pump is devastatingly powerful in the rain, still potent in the sand, and threatens even most things that resist it. Draco Meteor also deals massive amounts of damage. Dragon pulse is basically for situations where I'm in the rain and have an opportunity to sweep a weakened enemy team. The way I go about handling breloom is switching kingdra in on the obvious spore. As it tries to set up, it's going to get hit by either a dragon pulse, draco meteor, or hydro pump. Draco meteor 1hkos unquestionably, dragon pulse does about 96% so sand damage will finish it off, and Hydro pump is a guaranteed 2hko. With hydro pump, Kingdra is going to quite a lot of damage from the mach punch, but will survive with enough health to finish breloom off.

Link to my RMT: Dreaming of Meteor Showers

How did you choose your Dark Horse Pokemon for this project? What lead you to choose the Pokemon you did? Did you have regrets or were you happy with your selection? I just looked at the usage statistics and saw kingdra, so I decided to use it.

How did you go about building a team for your Dark Horse Pokemon? Which kinds of teammates did you consider? What factors contributed to the team you created? The two things I considered most were "What pokemon can I use to cover kingdra's weaknesses?" and "What pokemon should I use to allow kingdra to more easily perform its role." I'll go into more detail about that in my RMT as soon as I finish it.

Do you think it is more difficult or less difficult to ladder with a Dark Horse Pokemon? Why? Does the element of surprise play a factor in your battles? Is it easier to fight with a "highly used"" team or with Pokemon that are less common? For me, I really like laddering with a dark horse. The surprise element that a dark horse gives your team can very frequently make the difference between a lost match and a victory.

(For Hall of Fame members only) How did you reach the Hall of Fame? Was it easy or difficult? Did having a Dark Horse Pokemon on your team benefit you? What advice would you give to those laddering with Dark Horse Pokemon? It was incredibly easy. Kingdra is absolutely amazing and I thoroughly recommend it. My biggest piece of advice would be to not be too caught up in using a team full of standard sets or teams that you've copied from successful RMTs. I say that because whenever I recognize a team that someone has copied, it becomes incredibly easy to beat since I know exactly what sets they are running and even have access to the RMT they used for a reference. Like I said previously, having at least one surprise, unexpected twist on your team is, in my opinion, essential to climbing high on the ladder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)