Everybody gets a Chance (Peaked #69)

Hey everyone. I'm not the most well know smogonite, but I've made a handful of teams here and there in the past. After quitting for a while, I've decided to try new pokes I never used in the past. For once, I've finally constructed a team that has been successful, to my style, and very fun. Since I know this top 100 thing won't last long, I've decided to post this team. Its somewhat new, but I'm guessing the ladder score can attest to its effectiveness.

Team Building Process

I wanted to try Specs Lucario because he's pretty underrated. He also can smash through common walls Landy-T and Gliscor with a Specs Flash Cannon

Since I've never used Specs Lucario, or ever Lucario for that matter, I decided to break my vendetta against Thundurus, and try out Thundurus-T.

I put in the defensive core of Ferrothorn, Gliscor, and Heatran. I've used all of them in the past, and they've never let me down.

Since I'm breaking boundaries, I put in Wobbuffet.

Lacking a sure fire way to counter rain was terrible. Thundurus-T was also very risky to play with because a misprediction could make me lose him and the match. I switched Ferrothorn for Amoonguss, and haven't looked back.

I eventually switched Luc to a NP set since Wobbuffet could open up set-up opportunities. Then I went to SD. Since I'm inexperienced with Luc, I did pretty damn horrible. I switched Luc for an Agiligross. I don't know why, I just did because I felt like it.

Thundurus-T was still pretty frail though from from disappointing. I went to Genesect. and damn, it was a great change.

Under Closer Analysis
Changes in MAGENTA

The Bat Knight (Gliscor) (M) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 76 Spd / 188 Def
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang
- Swords Dance
- Taunt

Do not be confused by Gliscor's lead spot. There is no just thing as a lead in Gen 5. In fact, I don't even know why he's first. There's no intimidation factor and he's never the first one out. Regardless, this is an "old school" Gliscor. Most nowadays run Sub/Toxic of Sub/Acrobatics. This baby is here to tank like a monster, and absorb status. His number one goal is to fire off random eq's so my opponent keeps guessing. Due to my nature to fire off attacks, he also can randomly finish off weakened weather inducers, and the small fry that already played their part. He also keeps sand at bay, and looks cool while doing it. Gliscor has almost always been a staple in my Gen 5 teams, and he does a great job!

Flameshot (Heatran) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 236 SDef / 252 HP / 20 Spd
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Flamethrower
- Protect
- Roar

Probably the #1 poke in terms of my usage. Heatran has been a staple in everyone one of my (good) teams and he stays true to his role. Other than stopping annoying steels from walking all over me, he sets up the important Stealth Rock, the only hazard on my team. Protect is amazing; it let's me dance around scarf Rotom and other choiced users. In fact, I sometimes can get his HP from near death back up to health bounds if I play carefully enough. Roar may seem strange, but it stops greedy Gyarados's from setting up, one poke I have nothing that can safely switch in to. Other than explaining his moves, tran has impressive bulk, taking weak scalds like a boss, taking a Focus Blast (1 minimum, the rest all miss :p) and firing back a Flamethrower to put Gengar, Alakazam, and the likes into KO range before Genesect finishes them off. Tran has been in everyone of my teams, There's almost no way I could ever replace him.

Casull & Jackal (Genesect) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Download
EVs: 252 SAtk / 164 Spd / 92 Atk
Hasty Nature
- U-turn
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam
-Thunderbolt

Best revenge killer in the game? I'd say yes. Boasting impressive coverage and possibly the best ability to go along with him, Genesect is quite literally, the wonder bug. It may be weird to not have thunderbolt, but Amoonguss has it somewhat covered. However, it opens me up to Gyarados. Regardless, U-turn can become insanely powerful with a +1 in attack, while Bug Buzz can be the perfect finisher with a +1 in SpA (does like 45% to Ferrothorn). I'm still on the roof between Ice Beam and tbolt, but for now, Ice Beam gets the nod because of the omnipresent threat of the dragons in the tier.

Master Ball (Amoonguss) (M) @ Black Sludge
Trait: Regenerator
EVs 252 HP / 28 SpA / 228 SpD
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Clear Smog
- Spore
- Hidden Power [Fire]

One of the few pokes I never got around to using. I'm very sad I didn't try him out sooner. Other than looking like a Voltorb plant ripoff, Amoonguss has possibly the best special bulk I have ever seen. He can take about 25% from a Hydro Pump from a non choiced Politoed and laughs in the face of rain. Even better, his ability allows me to abuse him to the max. Very rarely has this fungus died in my hands. Clear Smog is to essentially 'waste' a turn and learn if one poke is a set-up varient of not. Its kind of a joke, but it has its merits. In addition to helping soothe the pouring rain, he's got Spore. Most players I see allow there precious Ferrothorn or something get slept. Doing so allows me to cripple them for the match, maybe even helping seal a win, because one of my opponents key players is too busy sleeping around. I'm glad this poke exists, he's totally up my alley! THIS THING IS PRACTICALLY UNKILLABLE (via special attacks).

Bit Torrent (Rotom-W) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 112 HP / 252 SAtk / 144 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Trick

Another staple I usually use. In a rain and sand infested metagame, Hydro Pump is there to do some serious damage. Trick is there to cripple any special wall, as well as cripple an important member on my opponent's team. The best part is, since there never is a guarantee of having trick on any choiced pokemon, my opponents may never know I have Trick. Its great to trick something, and have something alseep on my opponent's team. Not only does is seriously cripple their team structure, it allows my team to continue momentum and such.

Rubber & Glue (Wobbuffet) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Calm Nature
- Counter
- Mirror Coat
- Safeguard
- Encore

Damn, this thing isn't uber! I'm somewhat glad he's not. I'm not very skillful at using this giant HP guzzler, but if I do use him well, he either A) kill one poke, B) kill 2 pokes, C) pave the way for gross's set-up or Genesect's sweep, or D) all 3. It is insane how well Wobbuffett can take hits. He HAS to be a big, blue punching bag. Playing with him really told me how important leftovers really is. A small 6% to him could mean an extra 30% back at the attacker. Though I'm somewhat aloof with this guy, he's always intimidating because of his ability to potentially eliminate the worst of threats.

Former Members
Bit Torrent (Metagross) @ Lum Berry
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Agility
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Zen Headbutt

Just your standard Agiligross. I'm open to changing him to benefit my team better, he's not really anything special. I switching him and luc around because I wanted a powerful, bulky attacker. He usually can clean up, or weaken a Rotom or something so Genesect can clean. I originally had Life Orb, and watched Zen Headbutt do about 75% to a Rotom-W, possibly gross's biggest nemesis. However, being burning crippled gross for the match. With rocks up, I have a somewhat solid chance to still 2HKO a Rotom, and the Lum Berry allows me to take a wisp after the first Zen Headbutt. Also, it comes in handy for taking a Body Slam/T wave after setting up and 2HKOing a defensive Jirachi. This guy is powerful, but kinda useless, suggestions welcome!

Weaknesses

This guy doesn't seem too common now, but Ice Punch variants are dangerous. My best hope is either to Encore Bulk Ups and roar away with tran, or counter
whatever attack durr uses on Woffu. Specs Hydro Pump has always been an OHKO for me.

Sub 3 Attacks has good coverage everywhere. Even worse, he's not effected by Mirror Coat. Meh, Rotom does some serious damage with HP Ice after taking the dragon move.

Wobbu can't switch in too reliably and he's faster than a good portion of my team. Nothing can switch in actually... Gotta sac something. Kept at bay by Rotom.

Lack of an electric move, and/or an electric type.

Conclusion
I've been told this team is kind of stally. As a bulky offense player, I'm a little confused. It has good tanks, but if I can apply more offensive pressure or something, that'd be cool to change. I feel Metagross is kind of dead weight, though he's ok every now and then.

I thank you all for reading (or looking at movesets, I know we're all guilty of that) and hope you enjoyed this read. Thanks and I'll see you guys next time.

Importable
The Bat Knight (Gliscor) (M) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 76 Spd / 188 Def
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang
- Swords Dance
- Taunt

Flameshot (Heatran) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 236 SDef / 252 HP / 20 Spd
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Flamethrower
- Protect
- Roar

Casull & Jackal (Genesect) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Download
EVs: 252 SAtk / 164 Spd / 92 Atk
Hasty Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Def
- U-turn
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam
- Bug Buzz

Master Ball (Amoonguss) (M) @ Black Sludge
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 4 SAtk / 252 HP / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Clear Smog
- Spore
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Bit Torrent (Metagross) @ Lum Berry
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Agility
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Zen Headbutt

Rubber & Glue (Wobbuffet) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Calm Nature
- Counter
- Mirror Coat
- Destiny Bond
- Encore

Well hey, I really like this team!

To try and answer all 4 of your team weaknesses, I shall provide a decent solution in the form of a bulky Specs Rotom-W. . As per your stated uneasiness with Metagross, this Rotom will replace the metal beast.

Rotom-W @ Choice Specs
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 112 HP / 252 SAtk / 144 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Trick

Against Conkeldurr, all you have to do is spam Hydro Pump and watch it be at most 2hkod while you live its assualt.

Against Hydreigon, you can live anything outside of a Modest LO Draco Meteor and do massive damage back with HP Ice.

Against Mamoswine, again just spam Hydro Pump, he can't really hurt you, but be careful of getting choice locked into Volt Switch.

And now you have an electric move and electric type. I would also like to recommend that you replace Leftovers on Heatran with Shed Shell, to prevent Dugtrio sun teams from having a field day. For this team, the ability to preserve your wall outweighs the benefits of Leftovers.

Hope I helped, good luck out there!

This is a solid team, I suggest the same as you suggested TheStarRapper test Rotom-W, moreover exchange Flametrower by Lava Plume in Heatran because it has a greater chance of causing burn.

Joeyboy

Has got the gift of gab
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey cool team dude!

First things first, its small, but why are you running 30 Atk and 30 Def IVs on Genesect? Max those bad boys out! I also recommend you try out Thunderbolt over Bug Buzz. I suggest this because while Bug Buzz is a great cleaner move you really lose out on coverage, and odds are that when Genesect is prepared to "clean up" your opponent's team is so in shambles that most of the coverage moves will work.

I second the suggestion of Lava Plume over Flamethrower on Heatran. You are playing a special tank version of Heatran, its not really there to large powerful attacks, its there to withstand them; so Lava Plume's 30% chance to burn is really handy. Not only does it deter physical attackers from coming in to force you out but it adds even more passive damage for you to abuse with Protect!

My next recommendation is to return to using Lucario over Metagross. You said you've been unhappy with Metagross and its easy to see why, it really doesn't have that "wow" factor anymore in Gen 5. Swords Dance Lucario gels extraordinarily well with Wobbufett, as Wobbufett can give it that one free turn to set up. The set I recommend is:

Lucario (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- ExtremeSpeed
- Bullet Punch
- Close Combat

This set tears teams apart once its set up, even OHKO Skarmory with SR. Gliscor is really the only 'mon you need to be wary of, but we'll get to that in a minute.

I suggest running Safeguard over Destiny Bond on Wobbufett. Safeguard allows you to Encore Status moves and still give Lucario that free turn to set up without being Paralyzed/Burned.

My final recommendation is trying HP Ice over HP Fire on Amoonguss. If you make the change from Metagross to Lucario, Gliscor becomes more of a problem. Amoonguss makes a great switch-in to any non-offensive Gliscor and can Spam HP Ice to finish it off.

Good Luck!

Funny story. After playing with this team after making the RMT, I ran into problems and realized that Rotom-W was the perfect fix to Mamo and my team. I've never used Specs outside of rain, and will try it out. I'm a little skeptical of Shed Shell. Yes, it is true tran has died many times, but Lefties has increased his lifespan by a LOT. I'll try it, but I'm sure it'll be good. Thanks for the rate!

The reason I'm not using Lava Plume is because Heatran cannot OHKO any Ferrothorn. I'm talking about if its a lead matchup or something later in the game. Many Ferrothorn players are ballzy because they except the player using tran to overpredict. Flamethrower is ALWAYS (outside of rain) an OHKO on Ferrothorn. Also, Lava Plume's burns conflict with Spore. Thanks for rating!

I totally did not see that. I'm guessing before I made the team, something else needed a specific Hidden Power. Changed.
I'm not changing Flamethrower for the reasons above. I've used both, and believe me, random Flamethrowers are always nice.
I will look into Lucario again. Currently, gross is literally dead weight.
Safeguard seems nice. I'll try it. Thinking back, I'm not sure I know anything slower than a Wobbu.
I will look into HP Ice as well.
Thank you for rating!

----------

Currently tesing - Rotom-W over Metagross

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
Hey!

small nitpick, but try Air Balloon on Heatran to make switching into EQ Mamo a lot easier, sometimes even escapes Duggy if you preserve your balloon :D As for the Conky problem, replace HP Fire for synthesis on Ammo, and since u got tran already you don't really need it, and synthesis can scout Ice Punches. GL!

Shurt

Hey there.
It's nice to see Wobufett, he's really one of the most underrated pokemon in the Metagame as of now.
I think that the real problem for your team is mostly Sun Teams, especially Dugtrio ones, they can kill Heatran, then sweep with something like growth Venusaur, which is, very dangerous here, if you don't encore him in time (and since Wobbu moveset is... well, predictable, it will be very difficult) as such, I would like to suggest you Lum Berry DDNite over Gliscor, since you have Amoonguss, Heatran and Rotom-w in your team, '' tanking'' status isn't that much of a problem (you can still rely on Lum Berry, also)
Dragonite not only helps you against sun teams (especially setting up on opposing Dugtrio) but allows Wobufett to work at it's fullest, by encore spamming you'll gain easy opportunities to set up, and then sweep or weakening your opponent's team.
You might also consider Shed Shell on Heatran, this way you won't be killed easily by Dugtrio.

Hope it helped, good luck!

I'm not putting a Balloon on tran. Its mainly because tran is here to tank, not kill or dent anything. He's a supporter, not an attacker. I'm also pretty suicidal with tran. Giving him a balloon would force someone else to tank hits that tran could tank better. I can't use Synthesis because Clear Smog is already my 'scouting' move. It wastes a turn and Regenerator keeps my fun guy alive. And of course, Specs Hydro Pump IS an OHKO without rain on the standard durr. Thanks for rating!

I do like your dnite idea. I'm obviously not using Wobbu to his fullest potential. Only problem is, opposing nites have me swept without gliscor. Think about it, Amoonguss dies to fire punch, tran is eq'd to death, and rotom is screwed over by Outrage. Forcing on tran would be counterproductive without passive recovery. Also, if my opponent guesses I'm dancing around a +1 nite, he could predict and kill me. Regardless, I'm still trying out nite. He's the the most dangerous physical threat so far in the meta. I must be missing something on tran. Why is Shed Shell so good? Tran is here to stay around. I always am able to keep him healthy and it wouldn't be possibly without lefties. I understand he's susceptible, but I always double switch. I'm still testing new changes I guess. Thank you for rating!

-----

This team has peaked at #98. Its kinda low, but its a benchmark for me. I'm still testing. Please continue to add constructive criticism.

Random Replay from today. The team isn't shown to its fullest potential. If you notice anything from it that might give you some ideas, please tell me. http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou2418726

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou2434489
This one showcases my team against a good player (CRE is 1900+) though its a little one sided.

Edit: Just peaked at #69!

Hi i got your request and pretty cool peak if i do say so myself ;)

Ok looking at your team you seem to have most of your threats covered with the addition of Choice Specs Rotom-W being able to deal with Hydriegon, Mamoswine and Conkeldurr pretty reliably. So i don't really have much to say, only have a few minor nitpicks in mind to make your team a little bit more efficent.

Regarding your Heatran i really don't see to much use for Roar. You said "it may seem strange but it stops greedy Gyarados from setting up, one poke i have nothing that can safely switch into." However now since you have recently put Thunderbolt on Genesect and changed Metagross for Rotom-W who is known as one of the best Gyarados checks he isn't much of an issue. You don't even need Roar for set up sweepers as you have lots of ways to get around them Wobbufett stops any set up sweeper cold with Encore, Gliscor can Taunt them and Rotom-W can Trick them. So a much better move would be Toxic>Roar Toxic is a great move for a defensive Heatran because he lures in bulky waters like Slowbro and Jellicent and cripples them with Toxic. It also lures in and cripples two common weaher inducers who are known to use defensive sets; Hippowdon and Politoed. With Protect+Toxic combo Heatran can wear your opponents team down quite easily. My only other suggestion is regarding your Amoongus's ev spread. 252 Hp / 28 SpA / 228 Sp Def>252 Hp / 4 SpA / 252 Sp Def This suggestion still makes Amoongus a great special wall capable of taking pretty much any special attack aside from a sun boosted Fire Blast or Tornadus(-T)'s Hurricane but the 28 special attack evs ensure you can break +2 Keldeo's Substitute's with Giga Drain 100% of the time.

Good luck with the team i hope i helped!

Tl;dr

Heatran
.Toxic--->Roar

Amoongus
.252 Hp / 28 SpA / 228 Sp Def--->252 Hp / 4 SpA / 252 Sp Def

~Superpowerdude

Thanks for replying. I'm playing around with Toxic on tran and I'm still skeptical. Its not just dos (though I agree on your comment). double dragon teams or something with a lot of physical force will really lay a beating on Gliscor. For instance, nite with multiscale broken means a lot. It eases Gliscor's job a ton. That's just one of many examples. I'm still on the fence, I'll see what I can do.

I have changed Amoonguss's spread. Almost no difference defensive-wise, thank you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)