VGC Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer - Mark II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I'm in big need of an Ice Punch Metagross with preferably 14iv's in speed. However I can't 3rd Gen RNG right now and up until the tourney and I can't find any trade thread that has a Metagross that I want let alone one with Ice Punch.

So I'm wondering 2 things:

Is it really against the rules to breed a Meta on B/W then get Ice Punch from B/W2? If so, is it still against the rules/even detectable if I get it from Hoenn THEN teach it Ice Punch in B/W2?

If both of these are true, where else can I look to getting this Metagross? I've tried surfing the wi-fi threads.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hey guys, I'm in big need of an Ice Punch Metagross with preferably 14iv's in speed. However I can't 3rd Gen RNG right now and up until the tourney and I can't find any trade thread that has a Metagross that I want let alone one with Ice Punch.

So I'm wondering 2 things:

Is it really against the rules to breed a Meta on B/W then get Ice Punch from B/W2? If so, is it still against the rules/even detectable if I get it from Hoenn THEN teach it Ice Punch in B/W2?

If both of these are true, where else can I look to getting this Metagross? I've tried surfing the wi-fi threads.
The 5th gen Metagross would not be allowed, while the other one would be (they can't tell what game the move came from). Can you 4th gen RNG? That would also give you a usable Metagross. If not, you could see if anyone in this thread can help.

I used to 4th Gen RNG but it was just for shiny so it's not too plausible. Now I have a related question and I've been looking on Pokecheck and in all honesty, I see a lot of Pokes I need (turns out 3 Pokes will need tutor moves and 1 isn't 5th gen obtainable). I really am scared to use Pokecheck though as I just have no idea if the Pokemon will pass the legitimacy check. I heard editing a Pokemon in any way can cause a hack check to catch it but at the same time the stats on these mons are completely accurate as is the obtain info and moves.

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
I used to 4th Gen RNG but it was just for shiny so it's not too plausible. Now I have a related question and I've been looking on Pokecheck and in all honesty, I see a lot of Pokes I need (turns out 3 Pokes will need tutor moves and 1 isn't 5th gen obtainable). I really am scared to use Pokecheck though as I just have no idea if the Pokemon will pass the legitimacy check. I heard editing a Pokemon in any way can cause a hack check to catch it but at the same time the stats on these mons are completely accurate as is the obtain info and moves.
If you can RNG for shininess, you can RNG for IVs.

Don't use Pokemon from Pokecheck in VGC. Pokemon from Pokecheck are not legitimate.

I want to use an Abomasnow that knows Giga Drain in the Fall Regionals. This is a TM in Gen IV, and a Move Tutor move in BW2. Will my Abomasnow be found ineligible if I:

RNG in BW > Transfer to BW2 > Move Tutor > Transfer to BW > Compete in Tournament

Will I instead need to RNG in Gen IV, teach TM, and transfer to Gen V?

Edit: Voodoo Pimp's reply above seems to suggest that my Abomasnow would be eligible, but I'm looking for further clarification.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
I want to use an Abomasnow that knows Giga Drain in the Fall Regionals. This is a TM in Gen IV, and a Move Tutor move in BW2. Will my Abomasnow be found ineligible if I:

RNG in BW > Transfer to BW2 > Move Tutor > Transfer to BW > Compete in Tournament

Will I instead need to RNG in Gen IV, teach TM, and transfer to Gen V?
That is correct. Alternately, you could RNG it in Gen IV and use the tutor in BW2, if that would be easier than obtaining the TM. But any Abomasnow originating in a 5th gen game could not use the move (aside from DW Abomasnow, since it's a DW move as well, but you probably don't want to do that).

If you want to use Pokecheck Pokemon, you need to have them uploaded via PokeGTS to remove their event ribbon.

Also make sure you closely check all of the stats to make sure the moves learned are legitimately learned, the IVs are legal, etc.

That is correct. Alternately, you could RNG it in Gen IV and use the tutor in BW2, if that would be easier than obtaining the TM. But any Abomasnow originating in a 5th gen game could not use the move (aside from DW Abomasnow, since it's a DW move as well, but you probably don't want to do that).
I don't know about that. I asked that exact same question about two months ago about tutoring my Tyranitar Low Kick if the Ttar originated from BW. People here said it would be fine since LK is a move he could already learn without BW2's release, so I should be fine. And it was eligible for the Autumn Friendly.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
I don't know about that. I asked that exact same question about two months ago about tutoring my Tyranitar Low Kick if the Ttar originated from BW. People here said it would be fine since LK is a move he could already learn without BW2's release, so I should be fine. And it was eligible for the Autumn Friendly.
I wouldn't trust that advice, last year someone got disqualified for a similar situation. Is it really worth the risk?

I wouldn't trust that advice, last year someone got disqualified for a similar situation. Is it really worth the risk?
...Well that's really good to know. I'm not even sure if I can make it to an October regional, though, so it may be a moot point.
Still, though, I wonder how it was able to be used in the Autumn Friendly if there was a ban on BW2 stuff. I guess Nintendo's checks aren't that great...

EDIT:
Quick question: if say I had a Ttar bred in B1/W1, but traded to B2/W2 to learn Low Kick (then traded back to B1/W1), would that be legit? I mean, he could still learn Low Kick before those games came out. But since he learned it in 5th gen, would that effectively make him 'banned'?

Also, Nintendo's a dick for having PGL maintenance right now, I can't get in. Holy shit I was just about to sign up, hope I don't miss it
If it's from the 4th generation, it is impossible to tell whether it was tutored in the 4th or the 5th. You are perfectly fine.
Okay that's what I was referring to, but I guess I misinterpreted it. It has to be from fourth gen no matter what, but the only sentence that registered in my brain was 'you are perfectly fine' :P. Also, a few others said I'd be fine, but most of them used the term I guess, so, yeah, might need a new Ttar.

First off! I would just like to say hello all. I have been playing the game series since my graduating year of High School. I decided not to attend the first ever Worlds due to timing. So, here we are well over a decade later and timing all around seems perfect. I am a local of Vancouver, BC, Canada (home to the coming 2013 Worlds.) I would like to welcome anyone of legal drinking age to join me over the next six months to prepare for the event! (There is a link my signature for those local Vancouver Trainers!)

I wanted to ask about Prizes for Regionals, Nationals, and Worlds for VG. I am looking at the website and Regionals lists "1st Place - A Pokémon VG Regional Championships 1st Place award". WTF is that? Is that just a trophy or medal? What are the cash prizes for Nationals and Worlds? (I am assuming there is since games like Magic the Gathering boast $50,000 for Worlds.)

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
I wanted to ask about Prizes for Regionals, Nationals, and Worlds for VG. I am looking at the website and Regionals lists "1st Place - A Pokémon VG Regional Championships 1st Place award". WTF is that? Is that just a trophy or medal? What are the cash prizes for Nationals and Worlds? (I am assuming there is since games like Magic the Gathering boast $50,000 for Worlds.)
Note that placing well in regionals also gets you a travel award to pay for the trip to Nationals and automatic byes for the first two rounds, so there's more than just the medal. As far as I know, TPCi hasn't revealed yet what the prizes for Worlds this year will be yet, but you can see what they were last year here. Keep in mind that the prizes for the TCG are better because it's significantly more profitable for them (though still less so than Magic is for WotC) than the video games, so they can afford to give it better prize support.

I'm aware that there is a thread used to find out where you can get your VGC 2012 pokemon, but how can i find out where to get my vgc 2013 pokemon from?

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
I'm aware that there is a thread used to find out where you can get your VGC 2012 pokemon, but how can i find out where to get my vgc 2013 pokemon from?
VGC2013 rules have not been announced, so there is no way to know what Pokemon are legal.

VGC2013 rules have not been announced, so there is no way to know what Pokemon are legal.
Sorry, when I say VGC 2013, I mean the upcoming tournament, because it is a part of the 2012-2013 circuit.

EDIT: This upcoming tournament being, as we know, the same rules as last year.

Sorry, when I say VGC 2013, I mean the upcoming tournament, because it is a part of the 2012-2013 circuit.

EDIT: This upcoming tournament being, as we know, the same rules as last year.
If you mean regionals, it's the same, unless you like to use Flying Pikachu. And the get your 2012 Pokemon thread which can be found here will thus, be the same.

Not sure if this is the place to ask this or not, but does anyone know where I can find old threads from the Journey Across America?

Any suggestions, of pokemon that can smash rain teams? Like Kingdra and Politoad?
Well this all depends on your teams needs. Generally speaking, ferrothorn, Gastrodon, and Jellicent all counter rain pretty well. If you wish to try seldom used Pokemon, Lanturn works surprisingly well sporting only two weaknesses has access to Thunder, Scald, Thunder Wave, Icy Wind, Ice Beam and more it can work very well. Rotom-W fares very well against opposing rain teams. Dry Skin Jynx and Dry Skin Toxicroak work good too. Swift swim users are not the most reliable to put on any random team. Abomasnow resists water and disposes rain too. There are many ways to counter rain.

Ludicolo is also a very solid pokemon to put on your team to counter rain. Even swift-swim variants can hold there own outside of the rain. Just watch out for toxicroak and kingdra, though you should have a solid dragon check on your team regardless.

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Any suggestions, of pokemon that can smash rain teams? Like Kingdra and Politoad?
Requoting from a similar question just a bit back:

Generally versus Rain teams I like to carry at least two rain resistant Pokemon that can hit Rain for STAB neutral or super-effective damage. Good anti rain Pokemon I've used in the past include Rotom-W, Latios, Tyranitar, Abomasnow, Gastrodon, Ludicolo, Virizion, and especially Ferrothorn.
I'm using a rain team myself, and the two things that give me the most trouble, other than other rain teams, are Ferrothorn and Rotom-W (and Lati@s to a lesser extent if my Scizor goes down). You can't just count on one Pokémon to counter an entire team, though, especially rain with their boosted attacks, so you need to make sure the rest of your team still stands a chance if your check goes down. For instance, make sure you don't have too many Water weaknesses.
If they are heavily dependant on using rain, Pokemon like Cresselia and Thundurus can be real problems for them, due to their ability to easily throw around Thunder Waves to stop Swift Swim. Cresselia can also perform Trick Room, removing the speed advantage of Swift Swim.

Manual Weather changers, in the form of Cresselia (once again), Sableye, and Whimsicott that use Sunny Day can also throw a wrench in things.

Otherwise, the aforementioned Pokemon in the posts before me are all pretty effective at dealing with the rain, though many of them are quite heavily Bug weak.

Oh right, Togekiss and Amoonguss are two other Pokemon can give rain teams some issues.

Does anyone know any good defensive EV spreads for Jellicent? I want it to be my rain counter and TR reverter. I don't need any investment neither in Special Attack nor in Speed but I'll appreciate any suggestions :). Its moves:
- Scald
- Shadow Ball
- Trick Room
- Protect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)