Official MLB 2012 Season Thread

Man if Baltimore AND Oakland win their divisions..

WHY CAN'T THE BLUE JAYS HAVE THIS TYPE OF YEAR.

TrollFreak

(╮°-°)╮┳━┳ (╯°□°)╯ ┻━┻
is a Contributor Alumnus
This

Leads to This

Which Leads to Texas as Wild Cards vs. the O's[/s]

Which leads to a fun WC game

zorbees

Chwa for no reason!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Was rooting for the Dodgers till' the last out so I'm not overjoyed by the season, but as a baseball fan it was a good one,

-Mike Trout had the best rookie campaign ever and possibly the best incomplete season too

-Bryce Harper and Giancarlo Stanton showed with the long ball that they're gonna be fun to watch for a while

-Stephen Strasburg avoiding the path of Mark Prior (if I were in the Nats spot I'd save some of his regular season starts for the postseason instead but w/e)

-Chipper Jones, Big papi, Derek Jeter, Ichiro and probably many more I'm forgetting are showing they can be clutch in the later stages of their careers

-The Oakland A's shocking everyone (sorry Stallion)

-7 no-hitters (2 perfect games)

-Fernando Rodney and Craig Kimbrel both breaking closer records

-A triple crown winner???

I haven't covered everything but I'd say it's been a cool season and I like the all of the clubs in postseason contention as clubs. It wasn't the Dodger's year with Kemp and Either out of the lineup for chunks of time and the #2 starting pitcher Billingsley going down anyway so I won't be too bummed about having to watch other teams make their runs.
Three perfect games: Humber, Cain, Hernandez

Also lol at how mad the rangers fans are. I still think they are the team that is best set up for the postseason in the AL, provided they can get past the wild card game.

@MS: whats wrong with celebrating, i hate when people say shit like this

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Three perfect games: Humber, Cain, Hernandez

Also lol at how mad the rangers fans are. I still think they are the team that is best set up for the postseason in the AL, provided they can get past the wild card game.
Can you blame us? You hit the nail on the head, we're the best team in the AL and can't win our goddamn division...

zorbees

Chwa for no reason!
false: success in the regular season and success in the postseason don't mean the same thing and aren't earned the same way

TrollFreak

(╮°-°)╮┳━┳ (╯°□°)╯ ┻━┻
is a Contributor Alumnus

Victory tastes O so good

@The Exeggutor, its Yankees v. Wild Card team, since we're the 1 seed, so we'll play either the O's or Rangers for the ALCS

Plus, we're winning anywho, why would u say we lose in ALDS O.o

Mizuhime

Did I mistake you for a sign from God?
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Victory tastes O so good

@The Exeggutor, its Yankees v. Wild Card team, since we're the 1 seed, so we'll play either the O's or Rangers for the ALCS

Plus, we're winning anywho, why would u say we lose in ALDS O.o
Messed up my post and troll I just can't see any team who blew that big of a lead winning anything lol the yankees aren't that good of a team imo

cos I messed up

AL looks like this

Yankees (east 95W) vs O's/Rangers (wild card 93-93W)
Tigers(central 87W) vs Oakland (west 94W)

still picking the wild card > the yankees and now i'm going to have to pick Oakland to beat out the tigers, Even living just outside of the D, Tigers aren't that great of a team. They could be, but they aren't :(. We are going to be looking at a O's Oakland ALCS in my eyes with the o's coming out on top of that. The o's bullpen is extremely deep and they just don't lose close games. O's make it to the WS

NL is going to look like this

Washington(east 98W) vs Braves/ST.L (wildcard 94-88W)
Reds(central 97W) vs San Fran(west 94W)

Now, I don't watch much national league play due to my location and my favorite team being on the west coast, my pick here though are going to be The Braves winning the wildcard over the Birds, then proceeding to lose to the nats, eh chipper, at least you'll make the playoffs... Reds are going to squeak out a win against the giants and then have a hard fought series against the Nats. I don't know who wins this, could go either way. Hopefully Reds as I hate Bryce Harper.

My WS looks like this-

O's Vs Reds.
I'm gunna have to pick Cincci Winning this in 6... Bold statement I know.

And in final LOL trout got caught stealing by quite a lot today and couldn't get that 50th stole base

Postseason Predictions:

Wildcards:
Rangers over Orioles
Braves over Cardinals

and then

Rangers over Yankees
Athletics over Tigers

Braves over Nationals
Reds over Giants

Athletics over Rangers
Reds over Braves

Reds over Athletics in 7.

Game 7 Great American Ballpark tied 4-4 top of the ninth Sean Marshall puts two runners on, one out. Chapman comes out and guns it 101 as he strikes out two in a row. In the bottom Joey Votto comes out and blasts one off Ryan Cook for his first world series ring. All the while I'm sitting in my room masturbating to the sheer bliss.

And that's how it will go down.

zorbees

Chwa for no reason!
Sadly I think the pitching matchup favors the Rangers, but they've been pretty cold as of late, and I definitely think Buck can craftily manage the pitching staff towards victory. My playoff bracket would shape up like this:

Wildcards:
Orioles over Rangers
Braves over Cardinals

and then

Orioles over Yankees
Tigers over Athletics

Nationals over Braves
Reds over Giants

Orioles over Tigers
Reds over Nationals

Reds over Orioles in 7.

I think the Reds are probably the best team in baseball at the moment, but if the Yankess' or Rangers' pitchers step up, they could definitely be tough to beat. I'm not buying it though, they've been too inconsistent, and I don't think we'll see another postseason slugfest like last year. The O's and A's have been the two most consistent teams over the latter half of the season, but I think the Tigers' pitching staff lines up well for a short series in the postseason. I think the AL is wide open tbh, and could realistically see any of the five teams coming out on top (I kind of doubt that the A's will, but they have certainly proved the doubters wrong this year thus far). If the Nats had Strasburg, they'd probably be my WS picks, but that is a huge loss. I don't think the Giants have enough offense to win consistently, but they won a World Series like that two years ago, and may have the NL MVP. I don't really see St. Louis getting past the wild card game but they could be a threat if they do, particularly if Carpenter can come back to form. The Braves are good but I think the top two in the NL is pretty clear.

I have a question about the playoff seeding.

Before this year, if the #4 (wild card) seed and the #1 seed were in the same division, the #4 seed would play the #2 seed instead. Did they change that rule this season with the change in structure of the playoffs? Specifically, since the Nats are the #1 seed and the Braves are one of the two wild card seeds, if they won would they play the Nats or the Reds?

Everyone seems to be operating on the assumption that they'd play the Nationals, but I'm just wondering if that coincides with how they restructured the playoffs.

biggie

champ
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I don't get why people who have made picks already favor the wild card teams so much. What's the reasoning or rationale behind it? Personally I can't see whoever wins the wild card play-in game beating either the Yankees or the Nationals.

zorbees

Chwa for no reason!
If the O's can get by the WC round, their rotation will actually be in order for the Yankees, which would be a big help. I think the Orioles match up well against the Yankees, which is why I picked them. I would probably pick the Yankees over the Rangers if the Rangers advance. I agree with you in regards to the Nationals though.

I don't get why people who have made picks already favor the wild card teams so much. What's the reasoning or rationale behind it? Personally I can't see whoever wins the wild card play-in game beating either the Yankees or the Nationals.
Because I think the Braves are better than the Nationals and the Rangers are better than the Yankees...?

Why? It's no accident we finished with the best record in the bigs. And we laid an absolute beat down on the NL Central, remember

Why? It's no accident we finished with the best record in the bigs. And we laid an absolute beat down on the NL Central, remember
Braves are much more veteran (which is a huge deal in the playoffs), have a really hot pitching rotation right now (Medlen is better than anyone in the MLB right now), and the Nationals don't have Strasburg. I think Atlanta wins the series. No accident you finished with the best record in the bigs? I mean, no offense, but your schedule was kind of a joke. The NL East was pitiful this year for you besides Atlanta.

zorbees

Chwa for no reason!
Medlen will only pitch 1 game out of 5, due to pitching the wild card game, whereas Cy Young candidate Gio Gonzalez will go twice. Also Atlanta played the same NL East so how can you penalize the Nats for that but not the Braves?

Medlen will only pitch 1 game out of 5, due to pitching the wild card game, whereas Cy Young candidate Gio Gonzalez will go twice. Also Atlanta played the same NL East so how can you penalize the Nats for that but not the Braves?
I am penalizing the Braves. That's why I don't see them getting past anyone besides St. Louis and Washington lol. The Braves have crushed the Nationals the second half of the season (when they've been relevant). Some of Gio's worst performances have come against the Braves. Medlen has dominated the Nationals multiple times now.

No accident you finished with the best record in the bigs? I mean, no offense, but your schedule was kind of a joke. The NL East was pitiful this year for you besides Atlanta.
That would be true, except the Nats finished 42-30 (.583) inside the NL East and 56-34 (.622) outside.

That argument actually works better for the Braves, 46-26 (.639) inside the NL East and 48-42 (.533) outside.

I'm not sure of the exact schedule, but if the Braves win on Friday Medlen wouldn't be able to pitch more than once against the Nats, if at all. He's been amazing, and Hudson's been great, but the Braves would probably have to start Minor/Hanson in games 2 and 3, and those are not the two guys I'd want to pitch in the middle of a playoff series.

That would be true, except the Nats finished 42-30 (.583) inside the NL East and 56-34 (.622) outside.

I'm not sure of the exact schedule, but if the Braves win on Friday Medlen wouldn't be able to pitch more than once against the Nats, if at all. He's been amazing, and Hudson's been great, but the Braves would probably have to start Minor/Hanson in games 2 and 3, and those are not the two guys I'd want to pitch in the middle of a playoff series.
Minor's been great lately too (1 earned run in his past 31 innings). I'd certainly rather have him than fucking Ross Detwiler or Edwin Jackson.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)