Movin' at the speed of life and I can't slow down
Feel like doing another run through :d
Once the ladder resets I'll get started

Pokemon Showdown! Username: Mr Tempest
Hall of Fame Standing: Bronze
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Cresilia & Sableye
Current Ladder Standing: none yet

ganj4lF

Nobody is safe from the power of science!
is a Team Rater Alumnus
I may do another run as well, so I'm reserving the poke and nick in advance:

Pokemon Showdown! Username: EvilGrin11 I guess EvilGrin12
Hall of Fame Standing: Bronze
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Dusclops
Current Ladder Standing: ---

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Pokemon Showdown! Username: God Haunter
Hall of Fame Standing: Gold from previous I guess
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Claydol
Current Ladder Standing: 3762 (Glicko2)

Giving this another spin

Pokemon Showdown! Username: One Piece Sucks
Hall of Fame Standing: None
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Togekiss
Current Ladder Standing: Fresh account, so zilch

Lady Alex

Mew is blue
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
That's why I suggested that rating, rather than position on the ladder, be used to determine hall of faming standing and grandmaster status. Not that it matters in this particular instance since Lavos has the highest rating anyway, but I think it has the potential to be an issue in the future.

Anyway, can't let others show me up with more ladder runs ;D

Pokemon Showdown! Username:Noblesse Oblige
Hall of Fame Standing: Platinum
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Arcanine, Deoxys-D
Current Ladder Standing: None

Changing my dark horse since baton pass isn't cooperating with me right now.
Starting over again.

yay. I'm so happy I made it with Arcanine.

Arcanine's set
Arcanine (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- ExtremeSpeed
- Flare Blitz
- Wild Charge
- Close Combat

Team
Code:
Breloom (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Technician
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Spore
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Swords Dance

Arcanine (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- ExtremeSpeed
- Flare Blitz
- Wild Charge
- Close Combat

Deoxys-D @ Tanga Berry
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Magic Coat

Salamence (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 6 Def / 252 Spd
Naive Nature
- Fire Blast
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance

Lucario (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Steadfast
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- ExtremeSpeed

Gengar (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 6 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Def
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Disable
- Substitute
It's a pretty simple hyper offense team. Arcanine's role is come in on something it resists or a fire move and to go to town on the opponent until it faints. Sometimes I'll save it if I know I'm going to need the ExtremeSpeed for an enemy dragon dancer.

Whoo, top 100 sure got lowered recently.

Got 99th with Machamp. While i'd love to ladder higher, i think i'll do so with a different Pokemon. Machamp works fine, but playign with him for a while i found a lot of other Pokes i want to try.

Machamp @ Lum Berry
Trait: No Guard
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- DynamicPunch
- Ice Punch
- Stone Edge
- ThunderPunch

There's a good reasont hey call this guy the Champ. I had Trick Room available, but rarely used it. Lum Berry and Dynamic Punch + Thunder Punch really help me deal with bulky Scalding waters, while Ice Punch and Stone Edge i tested together to try and decide on one and found i liked having both. Machamps natural bulk really helps it take hits living on those low percentages, which alongside Dynamic Punch means he can beat pretty well anything with some luck. However, No Guard proved to be more a curse than a blessing alowing Pokemon to alwasy hit Hurricanes, Focus Blasts and Thunders against Machamp without weather and when Trick Room isnt up, his abysmal speed makes OU a very unforgiving metagame for him. If nothing else though, he cleans the hell out of Chansey/Blissey and Ferro, lol.

Time for something new!

Pokemon Showdown! Username: YourGooseIsCooked
Hall of Fame Standing: Bronzong
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Zangoose

alkinesthetase

<@dtc> every day with alk is a bad day
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
lol siu i agree that the decay issue was kinda borked, but regardless, he did peak at #2, so the position will hold until someone else unseats him (by beating his PEAK ladder rating and either matching or exceeding his PEAK leaderboard rank - the current ones don't matter from what i understood, it's the peaks that you have to overcome). he won't lose the position if he falls from the top 3 - it just becomes easier to take the position from him, but someone still has to do so first ;D

as for others who rose primarily by decay, i'd rather not mess with established hof rankings to be honest - we'll leave it as it is for now, and of course you can continue laddering to push your peak higher if you so desire. i'll talk with the rest of the team later to see if there are any issues relating to that decay that we want to sort out

TROP

BAN DRUDDIGON. FIREWALL DRAGON DID NOTHING WRONG

Idk how, but I made it going 5-0 for about 30 matches because Ambipom did nothing except dying. This is truly one of the worst pokemon I have ever used.

Except for a few matches, where thanks to the set below, allowed Salamence and Keldeo to sweep the opponent easily.

Ambipom @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Technician
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk
Jolly Nature
- Fire Punch
- Low Kick
- Return
- Switcheroo
I know nobody saw this random set coming, but allow me to explain how it works(well is supposed to): Troll scarf genesect leading ohkoing it with Fire Punch, Low Kick Tyranitar and other heavy mons like Terrakion, Return becaus STAB, and finally, Switcheroo is pretty much the only move I used to render things like Skarmory and other walls useless and allow me to set up with a truly scary mon like Mence or Terrakion easily.

Because why not, here is the W/L:
User: themightyambipom
Format ACRE GXE Glicko2 W L T
ou 1872 86 1971 ± 71 (provisional) 29 3 0

Going to go for a second shot at this since the ladder will be resetting soon

Pokemon Showdown! Username: Ninelol 2
Hall of Fame Standing: -
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Heracross, Gastrodon
Current Ladder Standing: 1700 6-1

The Sets

Mrs. Boss (Heracross) (F) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Moxie
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Megahorn
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Jimmies (Gastrodon) @ Life Orb
Trait: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Surf
- Recover

Lady Alex

Mew is blue
I'm considering attempting to use Arcanine as my dark horse, but I'm hesitant because I find that it's niche seems to be so incredibly narrow that idk if it's worth pursuing. What do you guys think of it?

Kind of along with Lady Alex's last post: I'll take any requests for a Dark Horse that you guys want to see used, on a few stipulations:

1: It must be viable in Trick Room (under 80ish speed)
2: It must be an offensive pokemon OR have access to Trick Room
3: It can't be entirely outclassed (under Trick Room)

I'm thinking Nidoking, possibly.

Lavos

Banned deucer.
I'm going to start with a fresh alt and see if I can beat my grandmaster standing!

Pokemon Showdown! Username: sup phil
Hall of Fame Standing: n/a
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With:

Current Ladder Standing on Pokemon Showdown!: n/a

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I have done it again!

once again, here is my w/l: ou 2117 94 2213 ± 80 (provisional) 28 5 0

Also, i started out with just weavile, but when teambuilding i ended up using another dark horse on the same team, slowbro! Ill describe him as well.

Weavile @ Life Orb
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Ice Shard
- Pursuit
- Ice Punch / Night Slash
- Low Kick

I wanted to ladder with a dark horse pokemon again, so i thought of some cool pokemon i wanted to use, and ended up sticking with weavile. I asked everyone on #pokemon how good weavile was, and tobes mentioned that its actually really good in this metagame, so i decided to give it a shot. Overall, i will say that weavile certainly pulled its weight during my ladder run. I expected weavile to be rather hit or miss at first due its its fraility and very specific role, but at the very least it got one KO a match, if not cleaning up the opponent late game, and it always got the job done. Weavile's main role on my team was to snipe boosted dragons, gliscor, landorus, and the therians with ice shard, as well as trapping Psychics and Ghosts such as Alakazam, Gengar, Starmie and Lati@s with pursuit. Otherwise, weavile hit decently hard with its STABs+low kick, and for some reason, lured in ttar and heatran (im guessing this is because nobody knows what the fuck weavile does, lol). Weavile plays a lot like mamoswine, and may seem outclassed at first, but its incredible speed and access to pursuit more than make up for the power and bulk that mamoswine has. Weavile's main flaw is that its really damn frail, and also has a stealth rock weakness that wears it down over the course of the match, but i honestly think weavile deserves some more love in OU, its niche makes it invaluable on teams that have trouble with certain pokemon, Lati@s especially.

Slowbro (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SDef
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Psychic / Fire Blast
- Ice Beam
- Slack Off

Slowbro is an old favorite of mine from BW1, and when i was fixing up an old keldeo team to use weavile well, i needed something to take pretty much every fighting type except scrafty, who i had covered. Enter Slowbro, the physically defensive behemoth that can take almost every physical hit, hit back almost as hard, and recover off all the damage in the end. Seriously, slowbro is one of the best physical walls and pivots a balanced team could ask for. with 95/110/80 defenses, regenerator, coverage moves that hit pretty much everything it needs to, and reliable recovery in slack off. Slowbro is nearly impossible to KO from the physical side without a super effective STAB (and even then, it takes banded scizor u-turn for 66% ._.). I used slowbro along with fellow regenerator amoonguss, who is also a dark horse, but i wont mention because its already in the hall of fame, and specially defensive Heatran to form a very solid defensive FWG core. between the three of them, i could often keep repeatedly switching and stall the opponent out until something like their own sand kills them. Amoonguss and heatran also covered slowbro's weaknesses perfectly, which helped out a lot. Perhaps my favorite part about slowbro, though is how it could take on the physical dragons such as mence and dnite with ease, making weavile's job easier. Overall, i still think slowbro is a good choice in OU, and i personally think its still worthy of OU status, even with the new threats to it that came along in BW2.

just a question, do i have to answer those questions every time i enter the hall of fame? ill add them in if i need to but im just going to leave them out for now.

zfs

Everything old is new again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Pokemon Showdown! Username (alt for DH): bzx
Hall of Fame Standing: N/A
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Ditto, Bronzong, Snorlax, Golurk, Kabutops, Rotom-Mow. That's right, people. 6 Dark Horses, using nothing that has been Hall-of-Fame'd already.
Current Ladder Standing: Glicko2 of 1613 +/- 90

blunder

the bobby fischer of pokemon
is a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 25 Championis a defending SPL Champion
Big Chungus Winner
Pokemon Showdown! Username: Forry777
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: forretress, Keldeo, Jolteon

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Wow. Keldeo is a dark horse? Geez...

Note that I have chosen to include Landorus-T and Keldeo on this list - I know, one of their usages for September is below 5%, but the other one is above 5%, and so is their 3 month usage, so I had to make the call and I chose to put them on the list. Maybe if their usage goes down, you might be able to take Keldeo out for a spin as your Dark Horse next month =]
so no, keldeo is not allowed as a dark horse, if it was allowed, i would have included it in my post actually, lol. My team was based on the offensive core of keldeo and weavile.

I'm going to start with a fresh alt and see if I can beat my grandmaster standing!

Pokemon Showdown! Username: hi phil
Hall of Fame Standing: n/a
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With:

Current Ladder Standing on Pokemon Showdown!: n/a
noooooooo get out of here! I don't want to have to use a multi hit move :|

I'm considering attempting to use Arcanine as my dark horse, but I'm hesitant because I find that it's niche seems to be so incredibly narrow that idk if it's worth pursuing. What do you guys think of it?
The niche of best Bulky Volcarona counter 2hko's with Flare blitz and At best is 2hko'd by +6 bug buzz

252 hp / 252 SDef Careful

Flareblitz, Extremespeed, WoW, Morning sun.

so ... very narrow niche lol

Lady Alex

Mew is blue
Specially defensive heatran checks volcarona as well. It also has access to stealth rocks and isn't stealth rock weak itself. Nonetheless, I think I'm going to see what I can come up with and give Arcanine a shot.

lol...

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Lady Alex, Arcanine has a unique combination of Flare Blitz, ExtremeSpeed, and Flash Fire; it is certainly not outclassed! It can serve as a decent check to Sun teams, and can be used a wallbreaker on Sun teams. In the Sun its Flare Blitz fucks everything and you also gain enormous recovery from Morning Sun. Outside of Sun, you'd want to use it on a weatherless team that needs a decent check against Volcarona, etc. It has fantastic coverage in Wild Charge and Close Combat, so it will serve as an effective wallbreaker for your team. Rapid Spin, SR, and dragon killler would be greatly appreciated :d

Absolete, have you tried Rhyperior yet? Or Adaptability CB Crawdaunt in the Rain? TR Victini or Specs Eruption Heatran in the Sun?! You may also want to mess around with SD Scizor, which can Bullet Punch sweep even after TR wears off. Druddigon is also the best TR Dragon without the nasty SR weakness of Dragonite; it also has Sucker Punch for priority.

blunder

the bobby fischer of pokemon
is a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 25 Championis a defending SPL Champion
Big Chungus Winner
I am going to restart this challenge

Pokemon Showdown! Username: Incarnate1
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Gyarados, Tornadus-I

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Double posting for a Big Announcement

New Glicko2 requirements
Bronze: 1950 - 2049
Silver: 2050-2099
Gold: 2100-2199
Platinum: 2200-2299
Grandmasters: 2300+

HoF would reflect these changes, so some of you would have to get back laddering to reclaim your original ranks >:0 Decay wont fuck this over anymore!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)