Official MLB 2012 Season Thread

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Lol. If I were you I'd have cheered on the Rangers, the O's have a lot more grit then us and will be tougher to beat in a 5 game series with the way we finished the season.

My picks btw are the Orioles, A's, Nationals and Giants to win their respective series'

Lol. If I were you I'd have cheered on the Rangers, the O's have a lot more grit then us and will be tougher to beat in a 5 game series with the way we finished the season.

My picks btw are the Orioles, A's, Nationals and Giants to win their respective series'
Giants? For what reason? I'm just curious.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Giants? For what reason? I'm just curious.
I like their starting pitching a hell of a lot more then yours, and think they have just enough on offense (unlike say the Phillies last year) to get past you. I expect it to be a pretty tough series though, literally all 4 could go either way.

I like their starting pitching a hell of a lot more then yours, and think they have just enough on offense (unlike say the Phillies last year) to get past you. I expect it to be a pretty tough series though, literally all 4 could go either way.
I don't. Latos and Homer have been absurdly hot, while Bumgarner has been getting smashed lately. Cain has cooled off a bit, but he's still very good (about equal with Cueto), and then there's Lincecum...who I honestly believe is equal to Bronson right now (Bronson may even be better).

So basically...

Cueto = Cain
Latos > Bumgarner
Bronson = Lincecum
Homer >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Zito

Stallion

Tree Young
I don't. Latos and Homer have been absurdly hot, while Bumgarner has been getting smashed lately. Cain has cooled off a bit, but he's still very good (about equal with Cueto), and then there's Lincecum...who I honestly believe is equal to Bronson right now.

So basically...

Cueto = Cain
Latos > Bumgarner
Bronson > Lincecum
Homer >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Zito
I always forget Latos, he's been really good lately yeah. I'm probably slightly biased cause I've seen firsthand what the Giants can do to a good lineup - I'm never going to count out Lincecum or Bumgarner in a playoff match ever even in spite of recent struggles. Homer Bailey is a huge wildcard for you, when he's on he is almost unstoppable but when he's off he's really really off, like "I left milk out in the sun for a month" off

I always forget Latos, he's been really good lately yeah. I'm probably slightly biased cause I've seen firsthand what the Giants can do to a good lineup - I'm never going to count out Lincecum or Bumgarner in a playoff match ever even in spite of recent struggles. Homer Bailey is a huge wildcard for you, when he's on he is almost unstoppable but when he's off he's really really off, like "I left milk out in the sun for a month" off
haha, truth. If we get GOOD Homer I think our rotation is the best in the postseason...but that's not really a guarantee. I mean, I definitely see the argument for the Giants having better pitching, but I think it's pretty dang close. And then when it comes to bullpen there's not even a fucking contest anymore. It'll be an interesting series.

Can someone explain to me how the infield fly rule is used in the outfield?
The infield fly rule actually has nothing to do about whether its in the infield or outfield, it only states that an infielder has to be in position to catch a fly ball. It is used to prevent a player from intentionally dropping a ball to get the lead runner out of get a double play. I'm not sure if it was the right call considering it would be impossible to get a double play from the given place on the field, but to be honest, I'm fairly certain the Cardinals would have won anyways. Or maybe that's just because I'm a cardinals fan, but we did have a 3 run lead at the time, and they wouldn't have scored because of the drop, only load the bases (which they did anyways, which led to an out).

The infield fly rule actually has nothing to do about whether its in the infield or outfield, it only states that an infielder has to be in position to catch a fly ball. It is used to prevent a player from intentionally dropping a ball to get the lead runner out of get a double play. I'm not sure if it was the right call considering it would be impossible to get a double play from the given place on the field, but to be honest, I'm fairly certain the Cardinals would have won anyways. Or maybe that's just because I'm a cardinals fan, but we did have a 3 run lead at the time, and they wouldn't have scored because of the drop, only load the bases (which they did anyways, which led to an out).
bases loaded with one out is way fucking different from bases loaded with two outs. take off your fan glasses and see the reality.

bases loaded with one out is way fucking different from bases loaded with two outs. take off your fan glasses and see the reality.
Outside of the hyperbole and coldness, there is some basis to this. The run expectancy is about 1.5 with bases loaded and one out, whereas its about .75 with two outs and bases loaded.

Yeah, that call alone is definitely not the reason the Cardinals won, but it would have given the Braves a significantly larger opportunity to win. It would have changed the dynamic of the entire 8th/9th innings; McCann might have walked a run in, the Bourn strikeout wouldn't have mattered as much, Uggla wouldn't have been swinging for the fences in the 9th, whatever.

I get the feeling the underdog winning these games is going to become the norm. Hopefully after another year or two of this they'll expand the game to a series of 3, even if it means expanding the playoffs another couple days.

I still think it should be conditional on how close the #1 and #2 wild card teams finish to each other (not based on the difference between the Braves/Cards schedule, I said that before the season started), but that doesn't sell very well. The whole thing just feels like a gimmick to get 2 more games of the viewership game 7's usually get.

Outside of the hyperbole and coldness, there is some basis to this. The run expectancy is about 1.5 with bases loaded and one out, whereas its about .75 with two outs and bases loaded.
It wasn't two outs and bases loaded, it was two outs and players on 2nd and 3rd. So it's even more of a difference. Not to be critical or anything...

And the ball can technically be in the outfield crass close to the infield. It's a judgement call when it comes to the outfield and that makes sense. But that ball was a good 20-30 feet away from the infield into the outfield. That is not even close for the rule to matter, as there is no way to turn a double play from that. And it obviously wan't intentional, there was no camp. And it took too long to even get to that spot and the ball was nearly on the ground when the ump signaled the call.

Utterly and completely a bad call.

Oh, whoops. Run expectancy is even less, yeah. .6..

more on the context.

"To put Friday's controversial play into context, in the past three seasons, there were six infield flies that were not caught in the majors, according to Baseball Info Solutions, the longest measured at 178 feet.
Friday's infield fly was measured at 225 feet from home plate, according to Baseball Info Solutions."

i think cabrera deserves MVP. Just look at the stats.

• 1st in AL in BA (.330)
• 1st in AL in HR (44)
• 1st in AL in RBI (139)
• 2nd in AL in R (109)
• 1st in AL in SLG (.606)
• 1st in AL in OPS (.999)
Not to mention Cabrera took part in a higher percentage of his team's offense, wheres Trout had an offensive juggernaut behind him and took part in a lower percentage of their offense... There is legitimacy to the whole "Tigers ain't goin' anywhere without Cabrera this year" argument. I know I know, "Angels ain't goin' anywhere without Trout". Of course. They also weren't goin' anywhere with Pujols slumping mightily in April... And their bullpen let them down quite a bit IIRC... Without Trout, the Angels are still a 3rd place team right in front of the Mariners...

Terry Francona gonna manage for the Indians next year.... Man they were SOOOOOOOO GOOOD this year. Man I was blown away by them.... The way they made all those sneaky good moves in the offseason and how Masterson and Jimenez were so good that they rivaled Verlander and Fister... WOW, I mean WOW.... (yeah, yeah, 8-10 whatever....)

Oh hey, how are those Red Sox and Rangers doing? I here they were pretty good this year... Oh wait...

Not to mention Cabrera took part in a higher percentage of his team's offense, wheres Trout had an offensive juggernaut behind him and took part in a lower percentage of their offense...
Are you fucking telling some kind of joke right now?

Let's look at Cabrera's best teammate compared to Trout's best teammate:

Price Fielder's 2012 Stats:
.313 AVG / 83 Runs / 30 HR / 108 RBI

Albert Pujols' 2012 Stats:
.285 AVG / 85 Runs / 30 HR / 105 RBI

In the argument of total scoring contributions, Trout's combined runs and rbi is 212.

Cabrera's combined run and rbi is 248. He also played an extra month of the season.

GEE, TROUT SURE DID HAVE A HUGE ADVANTAGE WITH HIS TEAMMATES AND CABRERA SURE DID CONTRIBUTE WAY MORE TO HIS OFFENSE!!!!

lol. Talking smack now because you won't be able to when the A's knock the Paper Tigers out.

I'm so excited for tomorrow I can hardly take it.

tbh there's no point arguing about Miguel Cabrera with J-man at this point, just link to articles and see if he'll read them. It's okay though. Even if Miguel Cabrera will steal the MVP, David Price will sneak the CY away from Verlander.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/trout-versus-cabrera-offense-only-context-included/

also J-man don't reference anything about standings in the arguments when the Angels had a better record than the Tigers.. The argument is illogical (one player does not make a team) but is also just blatantly wrong.

TrollFreak

(╮°-°)╮┳━┳ (╯°□°)╯ ┻━┻
is a Contributor Alumnus
Lose Cueto, Win the Game

Maybe all this Byrne madness is coming into view now guys.

Also, Leake as a starter is Cueto is gone, idk now, though they managed to pull through w/o Cueto in the game

Obviously I'm ecstatic about the win, but damn it, we just used up Latos' start. The good thing is that we'll probably start Homer next game and he's a mother fucking monster on the road. If we can head into Cincy with a 2-0 lead I will fucking cream my pants. I did NOT expect to win game one against Matt Cain!

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Leake isn't even on the postseason roster, which I find strange because hell he's a better hitter than Miguel Cairo anyway so why not. ;/ Frazier is already a better replacement on the corners if Rolen needs a rest or either Rolen/Votto aggravate an injury. Or just replacing another pitcher he'd probably have been better than LeCure too, not to take away from what he did tonight. Oh well, I'm not part of the Reds' front office.

Arroyo is pitching Game 2, Bailey Game 4. Cueto is slated to start Game 3 now assuming he's good to go and I assume Latos would do the 5th game then if it goes to five.

pookar

Banned deucer.
blegh that was the giants game to win given the circumstances. ace gets knocked out in the 1st inning? sure latos came him but hes no cueto. And Fucking Bruce Bochy lloves santiago casilla even though romo is 4 times the pitcher he is. The game wouldve been a 1 run game if caslla wasnt in there in the 9th.

I dont think theres any way we win the series if we lose game 2 at home :\

blegh that was the giants game to win given the circumstances. ace gets knocked out in the 1st inning? sure latos came him but hes no cueto. And Fucking Bruce Bochy lloves santiago casilla even though romo is 4 times the pitcher he is. The game wouldve been a 1 run game if caslla wasnt in there in the 9th.

I dont think theres any way we win the series if we lose game 2 at home :\
A lot of people actually believe Latos is the Reds' true ace. He just feels more like an ace I guess you could say. He pitches more like what all the other aces do, while Cueto is just a fantastic pitcher but not really the ace of a staff.

I mean, I don't necessarily agree with that but that's what people have said. Honestly, I wish Homer was going tonight but Bronson can get it done too. If we win tonight this series is over.

So done with this Umpire and his magical strike zone. Magically it doubles in size whenever the Nats are up to hit.

So done with this Umpire and his magical strike zone. Magically it doubles in size whenever the Nats are up to hit.
Gio sure does look like a viable replacement for Strasburg. You were right, Nationals don't need him at all. Hell, the Tigers clearly don't need Verlander either! Fister is a fine replacement! Didn't you see his performance today?!?!

Luckily for him the Cardinals offense is inept today and he's only given up 2 earned runs with his SEVEN fucking walks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)