First Rate My OU Team

I've been playing Pokémon since day one but haven't gotten into the "PvP" aspect of the game until recently. So without further-a-do here is my first attempt at a team! (Mostly taken/based off of recommendations from Smogon, but some help making the team actually work TOGETHER would be much appreciated!)

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 64 SpA / 192 SpD
Nature: Sassy
- Superpower
- Crunch
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam

I plan to use TyTar as a mixed attacker type with some bulk as well. I also need him to supply the "Sand Stream" that allows me to put Garchomp's Sand Veil to use. I think I covered his checks nicely, but he is still a sucker for strong bug and ground types. I plan on using him as a bulky attacker lead, so a different movesets to help him check out are greatly appreciated. Again, I'm not sure how to make this team work together so bear with me here.

Cresselia @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Nature: Bold
- Moonlight
- Psychic
- Hidden Power Fighting
- Toxic

I plan to stack her up Def-wise and use as a wall I guess? Her base stats indicated to me that she would be a great candidate for the position because my team needed someone with some solid Def. Combine that with Moonlight and she can sit out there and take attacks for days. (I think?) I was also thinking about Ice Beam or Thunder wave, but those are covered by others. INPUT PLEASE!

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Nature: Mild
- Superpower
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Roost

I also plan to use him as a mixed attacker but faster than TyTar. Instead of Roost I've also been looking at Dark Pulse and Earthquake to help with checks, but those have already been covered by other Pokemon as well. Being a pseudo, I think his EVs are set right to his style of being a mixed attacker, but help might also be needed there.

(Not OU but still a necessity for me)
Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Nature: Jolly
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Stone Edge

The speed of the bunch that takes advantage of TyTar's Sand Stream and Choice Scarf along with EV's. This the one on my team I'm actually confident about, but still not sure as to how to tie him in with the others. Maybe get rid of some common shared moves?

Metagross @ Air Balloon
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Nature: Adamant
- Stealth Rock
- Meteor Mash
- Hammer Arm
- Bullet Punch

Used here to set up Stealth Rock as well as deal some damage to the opposing team in the form of a bulky attacker. I also gave him Air Balloon to stray away from powerful ground moves that he is vulnerable to. But I was also thinking of giving him a Occa Berry or just the typical leftovers to help counter the Sand Storm issued by TyTar.

Rotom-W @ Leftovers
EVs: 112 HP / 252 SpA / 144 Spe
Nature: Modest
- Thunderbolt
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power Fire
- Pain Split

I wasn't sure which evo of Rotom to use here and I figured that I needed some water-type on my team to help out. I changed him around a little bit and not use Rotom with a Choice Scarf and rather make him a bulky attacker. Also threw on Pain Split to help him last a bit longer. But I'm still not sure of his checks on the team and if someone else would be a better fit in his place!

WARNING: I am completely new to this, so any and all help is appreciated. This is a very loose put together of a team, but I really need help making sure that it is a well rounded team and that all their checks and loose ends are covered. SO PLEASE INPUT YOUR THOUGHTS! Thanks!

Make your descriptions a bit longer please (3 sentences should suffice), otherwise I'll have to lock this thread.

Welcome to Smogon !

garchomp is not ou... and most of your poke there may not have common weaknesses, but everybody have counters for 600s in every gen.

So the point in your team is Everyone hits hard until someone gives up. It is definitly solid, but any stall can switch in and out while they shrug off srock damage with recovery move, you won't.

Adding a spinner would work. and getting prepared for Rain Team is an absolute must.

Don't think about typings that protect poke from sandstorm.

garchomp is not ou... and most of your poke there may not have common weaknesses, but everybody have counters for 600s in every gen.

So the point in your team is Everyone hits hard until someone gives up. It is definitly solid, but any stall can switch in and out while they shrug off srock damage with recovery move, you won't.

Adding a spinner would work. and getting prepared for Rain Team is an absolute must.

Don't think about typings that protect poke from sandstorm.
So do you have any suggested changes? As I said, I am completely new to this and all of my choices are somewhat blind. I obviously need some major changes to be done that I'm not experienced enough to do myself, so any specific help would be much appreciated.

ganj4lF

Nobody is safe from the power of science!
is a Team Rater Alumnus
First of all, using Moonlight Cresselia in a Sand team is a terrible idea; Moonlight only works well in Sun, and you absolutely don't want Sun up with this team. If you're really sure about Cresselia, then switch to another set; I don't have a huge experience with it, but a RestTalk set may be viable, since it's the only semi-reliable way Cresselia has to heal itself in Sand. However, in my opinion it's just better to get rid of it, and use a better physical wall of some sort. Defensive Gyarados and Jellicent come to mind - they can take a Fighting attack while not being weak to Ice and resisting U-Turn.

Second, and partially connected to the first point, your team is quite weak to strong Water, Bug and Fighting attacks. Cresselia is the only one to be able to sponge Fighting, but it will be threatened by any U-Turn user out there (Genesect is incredible popular these days), and cannot sponge strong Water attacks, making Keldeo in Rain instantly problematic (your other check, Rotom-W, is quickly disposed by Secret Sword, that easily 2HKOs). Water also hits for super effective damage Garchomp and Tyranitar (albeit the latter has awesome special defense), while crippling Metagross too thanks to its poor Specla Defense stat. Lastly, strong U-Turn users like Scizor and the aforementioned Genesect, can be quite troubling since you don't have anything that can reliably absorb Bug-type attacks.

Also, your team should really replace Garchomp, since it's not legal in OU right now. Since you're running a Sand team, a Choice Scarf, Sand Force Landorus-I will be an awesome replacement, sharing a similar typing and strong Earthquake (actually, stronger in Sand), while being able to take U-Turns for Hydreigon / Tyranitar and U-Turn out himself if in trouble.

So, to sum up:
  • Try to find a wall that can suit your needs and works better than Cresselia in Sand;
  • Try to figure out a way to absorb those attacks that cause troubles to your team right now;
  • Replace Garchomp with something not banned in OU - Lando-I is a good alternative.

Landorus-I @ Choice Scarf | Sand Force
Naive Nature | 252 Atk / 4 Spa / 252 Spe
- Earthquake
- U-Turn
- Stone Edge
- Hidden Power Ice

Hope it helps! Good luck with your team.

Pick a Pokemon or style of fighting to build your team around. If you're into the idea of Cresselia, like ganj4lF said, I would build a different team because the moveset as is isn't very useful. I'd be happy to help but I'm not going to build a team straight up from nothing right here and now. Good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)