LC Sand Sweepers

The Sand Sweepers

Peaked at #3 on PS

I'm not the best battler online, but in the past few months, I've had great fun and success with this team. I rely on the offensive presence of Pawniard, Drilbur, and Archen, along with the residual damage from the sand and Stealth Rocks to put pressure on my opponent. One of the most surprising things about this team is that there is no fighting type. This does not bother me, and as far as I can tell, does not hinder my team. Almost all of the pokemon on this team are extremely offensive, with Hippopotas and Lileep as the only "defense".

Closer Look

Pawniard @ Life Orb
Inner Focus
Jolly [+Spe -SpA]
236 Atk / 36 Def / 36 SDef / 196 Spe

Swords Dance | Sucker Punch | Night Slash | Brick Break

Pawniard functions as my sort-of suicidal lead, which means that he stays in until he dies, and tries to set up regardless of the consequences. Very often, probably 1/3 of the matches I play, Pawniard sweeps the entire enemy team 6-0 without me even switching him out once. If I decide to not lead with him, or switch out, he can act as a late-game sweeper too, which is nice.. On the first turn he uses Swords Dance to double his attack, and from that point on, as long as he outspeeds an opponent, he becomes next to unstoppable, 1-2HKOing almost the whole LC metagame. Sucker Punch is his main STAB move with great priority, and all it requires is a little prediction. Night Slash is for when I am unsure whether my opponent will attack or not, and Brick Break is for coverage. Pawniard is great at eliminating early-game sweepers that try to set up on the first few turns, like Clamperl. The EV spread is very simple, maximizing Pawniard's Attack and Speed while also granting one more point to its good Defense stat. The main things he has trouble with are priority abusing Fighting types, like Croagunk and Mienfoo, and physically bulky walls that can burn him and then survive his STABs.

Hippopotas @ Eviolite
Sand Stream
Impish [+Def -SpA]
212 HP / 20 Atk / 212 Def / 20 SDef / 20 Spe

Stealth Rock | Toxic | Slack Off | Earthquake

Hippopotas acts as my weather summoner / tank. Hippopotas is crucial to any sand team, allowing permanent sand as long as there is no Snover or weather-changer on the enemy team. Hippopotas's monstrous HP & Defense makes it a prime physical wall, along with base 72 Attack which allows it to threaten its opponent with an Earthquake that packs a punch. You'd be surprised how many hits this beast can take with an Eviolite, especially from fighting types like Scraggy and Mienfoo. The EV spread and nature maximize Hippopotas's defensive capabilities while slightly increasing her power. Stealth Rocks help discourage switching and, along with Toxic and the sandstorm, cause residual damage. Slack Off helps her win stall wars, and EQ is the generic attacking move of choice.

Drilbur @ Eviolite
Sand Rush
Adamant [+Atk -SpA]
236 Atk / 36 Def / 212 Spe

Earthquake | Rock Slide | Shadow Claw | Rapid Spin

A sand team without a Drilbur is like a bird without wings. Drilbur's sky-high attack and absolutely supersonic speed allow the team to soar. Drilbur is the 'big guns' that I bring in when I am in a pinch. Because Drilbur outspeeds just about anything in the sand, he is my main revenge killer and late-game cleaner. It is also a godsend that this monster got Rapid Spin, allowing him to spin away hazards that hinder his team. The EV spread provides the most offensive potential possible, with an Adamant nature because he already outspeeds the entire unboosted tier. Earthquake is Drilbur's primary STAB move, and is what I find myself using almost every time. Rock Slide completes the EdgeQuake combo, and Shadow Claw shreds ghosts trying to spinblock. Drilbur is essentially the perfect pokemon to have in the sand.

Archen @ Oran Berry
Defeatist
Adamant [+Atk -SpA]
76 HP / 236 Atk / 196 Spe

Agility | Acrobatics | Earthquake | Rock Slide

Most people think Archen falls under the same category as Slaking and Regigigas as Pokemon with an ability that hinders their performance, however I think differently. Archen is simply an offensive behemoth with an attack stat higher than many OU pokemon. This set works around the Defeatist problem, and uses it to assist Archen. Archen does most of the sweeping on this team, as most people do not know what to expect from him. What I do is switch into a pokemon I feel Archen can handle, and use Agility. Agility doubles Archen's speed, and allows it to outspeed everything on common LC teams. Usually after using Agility, the opponent will attack and bring Archen's HP below 50%, thinking they have crippled it. Archen then eats his Oran Berry, and proceeds to sweep the fuck out of any poor soul trying to stand up to him with a boosted 110 base power STAB Acrobatics coming off of a base 112 Attack. Archen is also always guaranteed at least neutral damage with Earthquake and STAB Rock Slide. It's EV spread gives it spectacular Attack and Speed, along with respectable HP.

Lileep @ Eviolite
Storm Drain
Calm [+SpD -Atk]
228 HP / 144 Def / 28 SpA / 64 SpD / 16 Spe

Toxic | Giga Drain | Recover | Ancientpower

Lileep represents the bulk of this offensively based team. Lileep's excellent defensive stats allow it to check many offensive threats of the LC metagame, especially Water types like Chinchou and Staryu due to Storm Drain. Lileep runs Toxic to gradually wear down any offensive or defensive threats while she recovers with Recover. I have found a good balance of offense and defense on this set. Usually I try and come in on a Water type attack aimed at Hippopotas or Drilbur, and nap a 1.5x SpA boost. I then attempt to sweep with Giga Drain and Ancientpower, depending on the enemy team and what I feel comfortable with. Ancientpower is hilarious when it gives you those boosts to every stat. Lileep catches most people off-guard with her offensive abilities, as most people assume she's running a strictly defensive set.

Natu @ Choice Scarf
Magic Bounce
Timid [+Spd -Atk]
36 HP / 200 SAtk / 200 Spd

Psychic | Heat Wave | Shadow Ball | Hidden Power [Fighting]

Natu replaces Abra in this spot to reflect back hazards and check some Fighting-types. People using Natu usually run a Dual-Screen set or a defensive set, but I chose to go with a Choice Scarf. Initially I didn't think the Choice Scarf would work, but I have been doing well enough with it, scoring a few KOs that I wouldn't of gotten before. Most people expect a defensive set, so when they keep their Pokemon in, Natu can 1-2HKO with her base 70 Special Attack and great movepool. Natu can also check most Fighting-types, with a dual-resist to their STAB. She can usually outrun them and KO with Psychic. Bronzor and Ferrothorn also get KO'd by an unexpected Heat Wave. All-in-all, Natu performs great offensively and defensively.

I am thinking about replacing Natu with a Magnemite, but I am unsure how I feel about it. A Magnemite would help with taking care of Bronzor and Ferrothorn, but it would give me another Fighting weakness. It would be great if someone could give me some advice on this.

King (Pawniard) (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Defiant
Level: 5
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 Def / 36 SDef / 196 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Night Slash
- Brick Break

Hippo (Hippopotas) (F) @ Eviolite
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 212 HP / 20 Atk / 212 Def / 20 SDef / 20 Spd
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Slack Off
- Earthquake

Speedy (Drilbur) (M) @ Eviolite
Trait: Sand Rush
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 Def / 212 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Shadow Claw
- Rapid Spin

Mr. Underrated (Archen) (M) @ Oran Berry
Trait: Defeatist
EVs: 76 HP / 196 Atk / 196 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Agility
- Acrobatics
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Lileep (F) @ Eviolite
Trait: Storm Drain
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 228 HP / 220 Def / 60 SDef
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- AncientPower
- Recover
- Toxic

Echo (Natu) (F) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Magic Bounce
EVs: 36 HP / 200 SAtk / 200 Spd
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Heat Wave
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

Some of the things I am about to suggest may seem a bit unappealing and risky, but at least try it.

Skitty is really going to hurt Drilbur and Archen with that Normalize + Thunder Wave. I personally think that Cleffa is rather frail, but Murkrow dies in the sand quite quickly. I would suggest putting Cleffa in place of Murkrow. Cleffa can use Aromatherapy to keep your opponents in good condition. While Cleffa is a bit frail, Magic Guard makes up for it.

Also, you lack a Fighting resist and a Special attacker. That is where Solosis comes in. I personally am not a fan of Solosis, due to suffering severly from four-moveslot syndrome, but I cannot find any other good special attacker immune to Sandstorm. However, you really seem to like Pawniard and Archen, so I have let you choose between dropping either Archen or Pawniard (Solosis > Pawniard/Archen).

Here are the sets I suggest you try:

Cleffa @ Eviolite
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 236 SDef / 236 Def / 36 HP
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Aromatherapy
- Softboiled
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic

Here are a couple of things I should let you know about Cleffa:

*Cleffa, unlike its older brother Clefable, cannot learn Heal Bell, only Aromatherapy.
*Aromatherapy and Wish cannot both be learned.
*Magic Guard + Softboiled is apparently legal; if you import a Cleffa with Softboiled up to gen 4 from gen 3, it has a 50% chance to get Magic Guard.

Solosis @ Life Orb
EVs: 240 SAtk / 236 HP
Quiet Nature
IVs: 2 Spd / 30 SAtk / 30 SDef / 30 Def
- Trick Room
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball

Note: The IVs here are so Solosis gets HP Fighting. They do not drop its stats down a point. If you do not like the Trick Room set, you can always try Calm Mind.

Some of the things I am about to suggest may seem a bit unappealing and risky, but at least try it.

Skitty is really going to hurt Drilbur and Archen with that Normalize + Thunder Wave. I personally think that Cleffa is rather frail, but Murkrow dies in the sand quite quickly. I would suggest putting Cleffa in place of Murkrow. Cleffa can use Aromatherapy to keep your opponents in good condition. While Cleffa is a bit frail, Magic Guard makes up for it.

Also, you lack a Fighting resist and a Special attacker. That is where Solosis comes in. I personally am not a fan of Solosis, due to suffering severly from four-moveslot syndrome, but I cannot find any other good special attacker immune to Sandstorm. However, you really seem to like Pawniard and Archen, so I have let you choose between dropping either Archen or Pawniard (Solosis > Pawniard/Archen).

Here are the sets I suggest you try:

Cleffa @ Eviolite
EVs: 236 SDef / 236 Def / 36 HP
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Aromatherapy
- Softboiled
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic

Here are a couple of things I should let you know about Cleffa:

*Cleffa, unlike its older brother Clefable, cannot learn Heal Bell, only Aromatherapy.
*Aromatherapy and Wish cannot both be learned.
*Magic Guard + Softboiled is apparently legal; if you import a Cleffa with Softboiled up to gen 4 from gen 3, it has a 50% chance to get Magic Guard.

Solosis @ Life Orb
EVs: 240 SAtk / 236 HP
Quiet Nature
IVs: 2 Spd / 30 SAtk / 30 SDef / 30 Def
- Trick Room
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball

Note: The IVs here are so Solosis gets HP Fighting. They do not drop its stats down a point. If you do not like the Trick Room set, you can always try Calm Mind.
Thanks for the advice.

Solosis actually seems like a great replacement for Murkrow; as he does die too quickly in the sand. I actually have an OU sand team with Reuniclus on it, and I love it, so I don't know why I never thought of Solosis. I'm going to have to turn down the Cleffa suggestion, I don't really want to sacrifice offense for a cleric. I'll try out Solosis and see how it goes though!

After toying around with Solosis, I feel that Abra is a better fit to my team. Solosis had better defenses, but took a while to set up Trick Room. I feel that Abra's huge offensive presence fits my team better.

Abra @ Focus Sash
EVs: 240 SAtk / 200 Spd
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Protect

Hey their Golgi Body nice Little Cup team a like the use of Archen :D

This seems like a rather good offensive sand team however it has a few issues. For one Bronzor can wall your whole team with relative ease aside from Abra who he can still tank a few hits from. All of Archens moves are not very effective against Bronzor while Bronzor can threaten with Toxic to wear Archen down and activate Defeatist. Only Drilburs Shadow Claw will be touching Bronzor while he can just Toxic and wear down Drilbur. Lileep also works similariliy to Archen in that its moves are not very effective on Bronzor and Bronzor can cripple it with Toxic. The only pokemon that can do a good chunk of damage to Bronzor is +2 Pawniard but alot of Bronzor's carry Earthqauke so that is not going to happen easily. Ferroseed works similarliy to Bronzor in that it can take a hit from your sand sweepers and beat Drilbur with Bullet Seed while being able to cripple Archen with Thunderwave. Also without a rapid spinner your team is quite weak to hazards with Archen having a Stealth Rock weakness, while Bronzor and Ferroseed have almost no trouble getting their hazards up. Drilbur and Pawnaird will also be weakend by hazards in the long run and Toxic Spikes severly cripple Hippotas, Lileep, and Drilbur.

To help you with this problem i suggest Bulky Attacker Magnemite>Pawnaird Magnemite can trap and Ko both Ferroseed and Bronzor with Hidden Power [Fire]. Magnemite doesn't wreck anything synergy wise having almost identical resistances and the same weakness's as Pawnaird. The loss of Pawnaird isn't really to bad for this team seeing as you still have Drilbur and Archen capable of sweeping late game. Drilbur and Archen greatly appreciate Bronzor being taken out by Magnemite so they can tear through your opponents team. Magnemite is also a great check to Choice Scarf Snover who threatens Archen, Drilbur and Hippotas being able to outspeed them all and ko them with stab Blizzard, due to Magnemite having Flash Cannon and resisting Abomasnow's stabs this pokemon becomes much easier to deal with.

Now to help with your teams weakness to hazards and status moves in general like Toxic i suggest Feather Dance Natu>Abra with Magic Bounce Natu is a great pokemon to have on your team being able to bounce your opponents hazards and status moves right back at him. He also provides your team with a great Fighting-type check having a 4x resistance to Fighting while also carrying Feather Dance to lowen their attack. Feather Dance is also a good move to use so Archen can set up an Agility easier due to your opponent doing pitiful damage after a Feather Dance. Natu can still keep nice and healthy despite sand wearing it down with the move Roost which also eliminates its Rock, Ice, and Electric-type weaknesses. Hidden Power [Flying] is the prefered stab to hit alot of Fighting-types super effectivly including Scraggy. Toxic is the last move on the set and is basically their to threaten non steel walls that are brave enough to stay in such as Lileep.

My final change is regarding your Lileep. with Giga Drain being available through the BW2 move tutor it outclasses Energy Ball in every way due to its pseudo-recovery. So Giga Drain>Energy Ball is definatly the prefered option.

Good luck with the team i hope i helped!

Sets

Magnemite @ Evolite | Magnet Pull
Modest | 156 Hp / 36 Def / 240 SpA / 76 Sp Def
Magnet Rise | Volt Switch| Flash Cannon | Hidden Power [Fire]

Natu @ Evolite | Magic Bounce
Timid| 196 Hp / 76 Def / 200 Spe
Feather Dance | Toxic | Roost | Hidden Power [Flying]

Tl;dr
Magnemite--->Pawnaird

Natu--->Abra

Lileep
.Giga Drain--->Energy Ball

~Superpowerdude

Hey their Golgi Body nice Little Cup team a like the use of Archen :D

This seems like a rather good offensive sand team however it has a few issues. For one Bronzor can wall your whole team with relative ease aside from Abra who he can still tank a few hits from. All of Archens moves are not very effective against Bronzor while Bronzor can threaten with Toxic to wear Archen down and activate Defeatist. Only Drilburs Shadow Claw will be touching Bronzor while he can just Toxic and wear down Drilbur. Lileep also works similariliy to Archen in that its moves are not very effective on Bronzor and Bronzor can cripple it with Toxic. The only pokemon that can do a good chunk of damage to Bronzor is +2 Pawniard but alot of Bronzor's carry Earthqauke so that is not going to happen easily. Ferroseed works similarliy to Bronzor in that it can take a hit from your sand sweepers and beat Drilbur with Bullet Seed while being able to cripple Archen with Thunderwave. Also without a rapid spinner your team is quite weak to hazards with Archen having a Stealth Rock weakness, while Bronzor and Ferroseed have almost no trouble getting their hazards up. Drilbur and Pawnaird will also be weakend by hazards in the long run and Toxic Spikes severly cripple Hippotas, Lileep, and Drilbur.

To help you with this problem i suggest Bulky Attacker Magnemite>Pawnaird Magnemite can trap and Ko both Ferroseed and Bronzor with Hidden Power [Fire]. Magnemite doesn't wreck anything synergy wise having almost identical resistances and the same weakness's as Pawnaird. The loss of Pawnaird isn't really to bad for this team seeing as you still have Drilbur and Archen capable of sweeping late game. Drilbur and Archen greatly appreciate Bronzor being taken out by Magnemite so they can tear through your opponents team. Magnemite is also a great check to Choice Scarf Snover who threatens Archen, Drilbur and Hippotas being able to outspeed them all and ko them with stab Blizzard, due to Magnemite having Flash Cannon and resisting Abomasnow's stabs this pokemon becomes much easier to deal with.

Now to help with your teams weakness to hazards and status moves in general like Toxic i suggest Feather Dance Natu>Abra with Magic Bounce Natu is a great pokemon to have on your team being able to bounce your opponents hazards and status moves right back at him. He also provides your team with a great Fighting-type check having a 4x resistance to Fighting while also carrying Feather Dance to lowen their attack. Feather Dance is also a good move to use so Archen can set up an Agility easier due to your opponent doing pitiful damage after a Feather Dance. Natu can still keep nice and healthy despite sand wearing it down with the move Roost which also eliminates its Rock, Ice, and Electric-type weaknesses. Hidden Power [Flying] is the prefered stab to hit alot of Fighting-types super effectivly including Scraggy. Toxic is the last move on the set and is basically their to threaten non steel walls that are brave enough to stay in such as Lileep.

My final change is regarding your Lileep. with Giga Drain being available through the BW2 move tutor it outclasses Energy Ball in every way due to its pseudo-recovery. So Giga Drain>Energy Ball is definatly the prefered option.

Good luck with the team i hope i helped!

Sets

Magnemite @ Evolite | Magnet Pull
Modest | 156 Hp / 36 Def / 240 SpA / 76 Sp Def
Magnet Rise | Volt Switch| Flash Cannon | Hidden Power [Fire]

Natu @ Evolite | Magic Bounce
Timid| 196 Hp / 76 Def / 200 Spe
Feather Dance | Toxic | Roost | Hidden Power [Flying]

Tl;dr
Magnemite--->Pawnaird

Natu--->Abra

Lileep
.Giga Drain--->Energy Ball

~Superpowerdude
Hey Superpowerdude.

Thanks for the advice, I'm all for changing Abra with Natu, but I am hesitant about losing Pawniard. He has been an MVP in almost all of the matches I've played. Magnemite seems like a great addition too though, so I'm going to try your suggestion and see if it works.

I'm going to battle with the new team for a bit, and I will update the OP as soon as possible.

---

EDIT: After a few battles, I came up with an idea. I'm not sure if this will work, but I'm going to try it anyway. I'm going to replace Magnemite with Pawniard, and give Natu a Choice Scarf. Then Natu will be able to (hopefully) revenge kill some fighting types. Natu will run Heat Wave to take care of Bronzor and Ferrothorn.

I really wish I could add Magnemite in here. Natu does take care of Bronzor / Ferrothorn, but Magnemite would do this better. Replacing Natu with one could work, but I'm unsure how I feel about that.

HP Rock on Lileep? I'm sorry but no. HP Rock is total shit when AncientPower exists. This should be your Lileep set.

Lileep @ Eviolite
Trait: Storm Drain
EVs: 228 HP / 220 Def / 60 SDef
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- AncientPower
- Recover
- Toxic

First off, Stockpile is in OO on Lileep's analysis for a reason. It's bad. Lileep should never be setting up anything (believe me, I've been there). Toxic is much better because Lileep can easily win stall wars with Toxic and Recover. Giga Drain is to aid that recovery. AncientPower is way better than HP Rock because it doesn't screw with your EVs and getting all the boosts is hilarious. Who cares about the PP and the base power? It's better, believe me.

Also, @a dude, this might seem a bit rude, but have you ever read Cleffa's analysis? It is complete shit and I don't know why you'd recommend it on any serious team.

Thanks for the advice Gengan. HP Rock has a higher BP and PP, but I'll try Ancientpower, because those boosts look appealing.
I'm also going to replace Stockpile with Toxic, like you suggested, but depending on how I do, I might change back to Stockpile.

I updated the OP with all of the changes and added an importable.

Also, this is another thing I noticed when trying out your Archen: You can put in 236 Attack EVs over 196 to hit 22 Atk. That's a humongous jump and it can hit much harder now, and it doesn't even take away from your other stats since it's just using leftover EVs.

Seeing as how Pawnaird is very frail, I think you can replace it with Sandslash, it speed doubles in the sand and is bulky enough to get up a swords dance against physical attackers. It also adds a new tactic to your team, double rush.

Sandshrew @ Eviolite
Evs: 116 HP / 236 Atk / 76 Def / 76 Spd
Adamant Nature
-Earthquake
-Swords Dance
-Night Slash / Shadow Claw
-Rock Slide

It usually can set up on physical attackers and then sweep easily. Under sand Sandshrew doesn't really need that much Speed evs because its already doubled and hits 22 speed which outspeeds the whole unboosted metagame and pokemon that are not choiced.

Seeing as how Pawnaird is very frail, I think you can replace it with Sandslash, it speed doubles in the sand and is bulky enough to get up a swords dance against physical attackers. It also adds a new tactic to your team, double rush.

Sandshrew @ Eviolite
Evs: 116 HP / 236 Atk / 76 Def / 76 Spd
Adamant Nature
-Earthquake
-Swords Dance
-Night Slash / Shadow Claw
-Rock Slide

It usually can set up on physical attackers and then sweep easily. Under sand Sandshrew doesn't really need that much Speed evs because its already doubled and hits 22 speed which outspeeds the whole unboosted metagame and pokemon that are not choiced.
Thanks for the reply Enix, but I tried replacing Pawniard earlier, and that didn't work. Pawniard is an important force on the team, as under normal circumstances, he can take 2-3 pokemon out in the beginning of the match and weaken the enemy team. If this team wasn't built around Pawniard, I would have loved to try a double rush strategy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)