Ask a Simple Question Get a Simple Answer - RU Edition

Nidoqueen shouldn't really be used as an offensive SR setter, as it really appreciated the coverage it gets with Earth Power / Sludge Wave / Thunderbolt / Fire Blast. Also, Escavalier dropped down with Nidoqueen, so he's fun to use.

Generally what you should know is that the metagame is much, much more offensive than ever before. For example: at the tail end of BW1, Cryogonal was the most popular Rapid Spin user; now, Kabutops is, as it can use Swords Dance and revenge kill many threats such as Nidoqueen and Moltres (the two best special attackers right now) with Aqua Jet. Being so offensive, the metagame is really fast paced as well, so you'll usually see faster Pokemon on these offensive teams rather than Escavalier. Some faster things include Tauros and Sceptile. Other things that show how the metagame is more offensive is that Spiritomb overtook Cofagrigus as the main choice of Ghost-type. Spiritomb, with Choice Band or Blackglasses, has the ability to revenge a ton of threads with its priority Sucker Punch or Shadow Sneak or trap opponents with Pursuit. It also traps Cryogonal, which is probably another reason why Kabutops is used more. Uxie is the most common lead now because it checks Nidoqueen and provides almost instant momentum for offensive teams with U-turn and Stealth Rock, but it must be careful of Spiritomb. Among other things, stuff like Fraxure, Crawdaunt, Gallade, and Absol have become more popular in the offensive metagame.

Take a look at the metagame analysis thread for more info on what's good!

Alright so I wanna get back into RU with the international release of BW2;
when will the next tier shifts based on useage happen? October or later?

ss234

bop.
Not very Shelmet. Sceptile really appreciates its high speed straight away, so Acrobatics is probably the best option to activate it. Fling is a one-use move, while Acrobatics can be used quite a lot over the course of a battle too.

With an Iron Ball, Sceptile can't revenge any of the common threats you would want it to, such as LO Galvantula, Kabutops and probably some others.

Not very Shelmet. Sceptile really appreciates its high speed straight away, so Acrobatics is probably the best option to activate it. Fling is a one-use move, while Acrobatics can be used quite a lot over the course of a battle too.

With an Iron Ball, Sceptile can't revenge any of the common threats you would want it to, such as LO Galvantula, Kabutops and probably some others.
mmm... What about fling+ironball+hitmonlee (unburden)

fling with iron ball inflicts massive damage, so even though it is one time thing, it still is very dangerous, and the unburden boost is worth it.

I'm also surprised no one has considered the viability of gem-onlee. Would that work?

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
The Fake Out + Normal Gem Unburden Hitmonlee is pretty popular because it's pretty hard to stop late-game against an offensive team.

The Fling + Iron Ball thing was tried before because it nearly OHKOes Cofagrigus iirc, but it requires Hitmonlee hit it on the switch, and should Hitmonlee not force the opponent out, it's a sitting duck. Not to mention Fling is an otherwise wasted slot after Flinging the Iron Ball.

Is there any point in using a non-Scarf Moltres as a Special Sweeper, when it's utterly destroyed by HP Rock Sceptile (I carry a faster pokemon than Moltres who can OHKO it on every RU team, usually Sceptile) as well as being 4x weak to Stealth Rock? I'm not sure why it's so popular (or maybe I'm just running into the wrong RU battlers) and if someone can link usage stats for all the tiers I'd appreciate it.

Yonko7

Guns make you stupid. Duct tape makes you smart.
is a Contributor Alumnus
If it has LO or Leftovers, then I can change attacks and heal with Roost, whereas the a Choice set will be at the mercy of Stealth Rock, unless you have a spinner or something like that.

Also, for Sceptile to destroy Moltres it has to come in. Moltres's two STABs -Fire Blast and Hurricane- will OHKO Sceptile indefinitely. So the only way it can come in is on Roost or a Substitute. Sceptile can revenge KO Moltres, but that is a common weakness among many offensive Pokemon.

Is there any point in using a non-Scarf Moltres as a Special Sweeper, when it's utterly destroyed by HP Rock Sceptile (I carry a faster pokemon than Moltres who can OHKO it on every RU team, usually Sceptile) as well as being 4x weak to Stealth Rock? I'm not sure why it's so popular (or maybe I'm just running into the wrong RU battlers) and if someone can link usage stats for all the tiers I'd appreciate it.
I actually wouldn't recommend Choice Scarf Moltres at all. Choice Scarf Pokemon are usually used as revenge killers, which is probably what Scarf Moltres is primarily for. In fact, Moltres is a really bad revenge killer because it can't come in many times do it its 4x Stealth Rock weakness. Choice Scarf users generally switch out a LOT as well, and Moltres can't afford to do that. Like Yonko said, being able to outspeed Sceptile is kind of useless and I wouldn't worry about it.

Life Orb Moltres is very powerful and gives you the option to switch moves and use Roost. Choice Specs Moltres hits extremely hard, but it is locked into one move; the reason why Choice Specs is better than Choice Scarf on Moltres is because you're hitting stuff soooo hard, so the benefits outweigh the Stealth Rock weakness and being locked into one move.

Medicham Confusion

In the Medicham article on the Strategy dex it states in the overused section that it has the highest attack with it's ability. But that only adds up to 120 so Rampardos, Haxorus, Archeops, Armaldo, Azelf, Bisharp, Breloom, Braviary, Conkeldurr, Darmanitan, Dragonite, Electivire, Emboar, Escavilier, Excadrill, Flareon, Gallade, Garchomp, Gigalith, Golurk, Metagross, Salamence, Slaking, Rhyperior, Kingler, Ursaring, Tyranitar, Machamp, Scizor, Absol, Sawk, Mienshao, Honchkrow, Pinsir, Heracross, and Gyarados all have better attack can someone explain that?

ss234

bop.
It's ability Huge Power will double the attack stat, not the base stat, so it will have 480 attack with it's ability factored in with max attack ev's and a positive nature.

How good is Druddigon as, say, a Trick Room sweeper?

48 base Speed, but 120 Attack.

Something like:

Druddigon @ Life Orb
Ability: Rough Skin
Adamant Nature
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpDef
-Outrage
-Fire Fang
-Earthquake
-Swords Dance / Sucker Punch / Superpower

So either a bulky Trick Sweeper w/ SD setup, or go for extra coverage. Fire Fang is more for Ferroseed, but I suppse Superpower could work there for other Steel Types that EQ doesn't wreck. Suckerpunch is a hoot, and usually pretty surprising on those folks trying to use priority moves on you to bypass Trick Room. Thoughts?

ETA: 77/90/90 Defenses mean you aren't a sitting duck outside of Trick Room too, so maybe throw it in towards the end of the duration or use it as a Trump Card in case your Room Setter gets KO'd?

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Yes if you're going for dedicated TR sweepers, Druddigon is up there with the best in RU. Though, be sure to use Fire Punch and Sheer Force over Fire Fang and Rough Skin (imo anyway).

You'll have to experiment with the set as to what you want to use in the last slot, though SD might be a little overkill, especially considering you already only have about 3 turns to abuse TR.

(The current analysis onsite is pretty out of date btw).

Yes if you're going for dedicated TR sweepers, Druddigon is up there with the best in RU. Though, be sure to use Fire Punch and Sheer Force over Fire Fang and Rough Skin (imo anyway).

You'll have to experiment with the set as to what you want to use in the last slot, though SD might be a little overkill, especially considering you already only have about 3 turns to abuse TR.

(The current analysis onsite is pretty out of date btw).
SD may be overkill, but you can't always rely on TR being up, hence the bulky HP/Atk EV Spread.

Fire Punch would probably be better, I agree.

I just think you could come in during TR, setup a SD, then Outrage, or even Dragon Claw things to death, and on the turn TR drop, Sucker Punch the would-be revenge killer, continue sweeping.

How good is Druddigon as, say, a Trick Room sweeper?

48 base Speed, but 120 Attack.

Something like:

Druddigon @ Life Orb
Ability: Rough Skin
Adamant Nature
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpDef
-Outrage
-Fire Fang
-Earthquake
-Swords Dance / Sucker Punch / Superpower

So either a bulky Trick Sweeper w/ SD setup, or go for extra coverage. Fire Fang is more for Ferroseed, but I suppse Superpower could work there for other Steel Types that EQ doesn't wreck. Suckerpunch is a hoot, and usually pretty surprising on those folks trying to use priority moves on you to bypass Trick Room. Thoughts?

ETA: 77/90/90 Defenses mean you aren't a sitting duck outside of Trick Room too, so maybe throw it in towards the end of the duration or use it as a Trump Card in case your Room Setter gets KO'd?
Also, I just want to add that you should switch the nature. Have Brave instead of Adamant and it's rather optional at this point but also put in 0 IVs in Speed. That way under TR, it'll be the "fastest" it possibly can be.

With Durant and Cresselia temporarily comming back to RU I was just wondering if using Wide Lens on Durant to bluff a choice band is worth using?

Every single time I use Durant it misses at the worth possible times, I've had it miss three or more consecutive times as well. Although Wide lens doesn't solve my accuracy problems entirely, it does improve them.

You already have the power of a choice band thanks to hustle plus the option to pick which moves to use at the cost of 10% less accuracy. Although Choice Band Durant gets the power of a sword dance at the cost of 20% less accuracy.

Hmmm.. is the cost benefit worth it?

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
With Durant and Cresselia temporarily comming back to RU I was just wondering if using Wide Lens on Durant to bluff a choice band is worth using?

Every single time I use Durant it misses at the worth possible times, I've had it miss three or more consecutive times as well. Although Wide lens doesn't solve my accuracy problems entirely, it does improve them.

You already have the power of a choice band thanks to hustle plus the option to pick which moves to use at the cost of 10% less accuracy. Although Choice Band Durant gets the power of a sword dance at the cost of 20% less accuracy.

Hmmm.. is the cost benefit worth it?
I really dont think the cost is worth the benefit here, Wide lens may increase accuracy, but only by a very small amount. Wide lens boosts move accuracy by the move being used's accuracy divided by 10. When a move has 80% accuracy like stone edge, the move will end up with 88 accuracy, which while better, is nowhere near close to perfect (we all know how much things like fire blast miss when we need them ;_;). Meanwhile, the power boost Durant gets from a life orb or a choice band is huge, plus, if you end up using Hone Claws Durant, its accuracy can be fixed with hone claws!

Quick question, does anyone know for sure when every pokes dream world ability will be released? The main ones I'm interested in is sheer force gator and contrary serperior.

Quick question, does anyone know for sure when every pokes dream world ability will be released? The main ones I'm interested in is sheer force gator and contrary serperior.
No that information is not known, sorry. We only know of the dream world abilities because of in-game coding. It does not specify when the pokemon will be released.

I have a 31 IV HP Smeargle. According to Smogon, at level 50, it gets 162 HP max with HP EV investment.

I'm not sure how effort values work for level 50 pokemons (was it 8 EV equals 1 point? I'm not sure).

I wanted to be on the safe side and ask how many EV points I would need to invest in my Smeargle to get 160 HP at level 50.

I was planning on Belly drum+Substitute+Spore+baton Pass Salac Berry Smeargle. Would 160 HP or 162 HP be better for my Smeargle? If the former, how much HP EV investment would I need to hit 160 HP?

Please and thank you!

For you reach 162 just give it 252 EVs in the HP stat. To hit 160, give it 248 EVs that way you should get 160.

I guess you can really go with either EVs. I suggest you just go to max it out, is less trouble. But 160 let's it be divisible by 4.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)