NU Pokemon of the Week - Golurk

Status
Not open for further replies.

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Braviary
(Sharp Beak)
Trait: Defiant
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Brave Bird
- Return
- Superpower
- Roost

Any other flaws I've missed about bulky Braviary? I know I've said this idea before on IRC, but I figured I'd post it here as well.
This seems like a pretty good idea, and bluffng choice Braviary only to hit Rock-types with a powerful Superpower is always a cool idea. As pedantic as it gets, a 188 HP / 252 Atk / 28 Def / 32 SpD / 8 Spe is slightly more efficient in terms of bulk, and having <400 HP isn't a problem since Seismic Toss isn't really a threat.

Braviary
Type: Normal / Flying
Base Stats: 100 HP / 123 Atk / 75 Def / 57 SpA / 75 SpD / 80 Spe
Ability: Sheer Force / Keen Eye / Defiant
I've been testing Braviary recently, and it's such monster in the NU tier. Whether you want to run this thing with a Choice Band or not, it's an undeniable flying powerhouse. Braviary proves it's versatility with more creative sets, but it's true colors shine behind it's raw power and decent base speed I think.

This is why I've been testing the Choice Band set below recently:

Braviary @ Choice Band
Trait: Keen Eye
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spd
Brave Bird
Frustration
U-turn
Superpower

I first saw this set on a Featured RMT, and have used it a couple times with success recently. Braviary has great potential in the current metagame, and I like to see what people can do with it. Once I get the chance to use Braviary more I might come back and leave a few more notes, but it's definitely a force to be reckoned with if you prepare correctly.

As for this set:
Braviary
(Sharp Beak)
Trait: Defiant
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
- Brave Bird
- Return
- Superpower
- Roost
I think this is pretty interesting, and I'm definitely gonna throw it in a team sometime soon. The Sharp Beak is what intrigues me the most about this, and I love that it has some bulk along with Braviary's sheer power. I think there's some potential without the Life Orb, especially since you won't miss the extra recoil. I'm just wondering how efficient it will really prove to be, so I may do some comparing with this set.

Overall, it's hard to make Braviary look bad.

New week; new Pokemon.

Musharna
Type: Psychic
Base Stats: 116 HP / 55 Atk / 85 Def / 107 SpA / 95 SpD / 29 Spe
Ability: Forewarn / Synchronize / Tepeathy

Musharna is an extremely bulky Pokemon that can fit various roles effectively. It's one of the most reliable Pokemon to use in the tier and has little risk involved in using it. What do you guys think about Musharna?

ebeast

she's probably sexting nprtprt
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
A quick thing is that Musharna's base HP stat is 116, not 115.

Musharna is overall an amazing Pokemon in NU and one of the most reliable switches into Choice Band Sawk in the tier. With its massive bulk and access to Calm Mind it is a leading cause to many comebacks while playing. From what I have seen Musharna has 3 sets that are mainly used: CM Heal Bell / CM Pass / Pivot. While the difference in the first two sets I listed are a just a single move, they play completely differently. Heal Bell Musharna uses its good bulk to set up even in the face of Toxic to take down a team with its boosted attacks. It makes it a great Pokemon to have any team due to Heal Bell, one of the best support moves in the game, which it can even abuse with its Synchronize ability. The Baton Pass set works very differently as it focuses on getting as many boosts as possible as safely as it can and getting off a slow Baton Pass out into a teammate. Since Musharna is relegated to using just Psychic in these sets, which is not the most effective option for trying to go straight through a team with, Musharna takes advantage of Baton Pass to provide Pokemon such as Ludicolo, Haunter, Regice, and Eelektross with its deadly SpA/SpD boosts. These Pokemon can take the boosts in open arms and take advantage of it with their greater amount of coverage. A +2 Ludicolo in the Rain is virtually unstoppable and one of the many monsters that that set can create. While I haven't been seen too much of Musharna's pivot set it basically takes the role of spreading around Paralysis with Thunder Wave thanks to the many opportunities it has to switch in with its fantastic stats and typing. Pivot Musharna is very effective in tanking hits and crippling opponents that make it easier for an opponent to sweep.

Overall Musharna is an excellent Pokemon in NU not just because of what it can do by itself, but also how well it can help out its teammates. This trait is shown in all 3 of the sets I listed with Heal Bell providing crucial support against status, Baton Pass giving deadly boost to sweepers, and Pivot providing the ever so useful paralysis support.

Actually i'm using Musharna in my BP team, and she's amazing with Stored Power, she kills things so easy and if you can pass a pass with the boosts is pratically unstoppable ! The standard set (CM/Heal Bell/Moonlight/Psychic) is so powerful after a couple of CMs (not that hard to get) and once you get rid of the opponent's dark types, you can see her full potential.

As a fun of tanks and stalls, i really love this poke <3

My opinions about Musharna always shift around for no reason at all, but after using it recently, it is still a great Pokemon. Able to set-up Calm Minds on so many pokemon while also acting as a pretty good physical wall makes Musharna the great Pokemon that it is. As EBeast stated, Musharna can also run Baton Pass sets and a Pivot set very effectively. There have been many cases during teambuilding where I wanted a bulky Psychic-type just to switch into the hard-hitting Fighting-types of this tier. I also made quite a lot of paralysis teams with this Musharna set and it is very effective in dishing out Thunder Waves. Its main counters'checks are Dark-types which can be removed with good team support. I haven't used Baton Pass much, but I have seen it used effectively by EBeast and Raseri where they passed into specially offensive behemoths such as Regice, Ludicolo, and Haunter. (I don't know if we're allowed to talk about Musharna's good teammates but Fighting-types are good to take out the Dark-types that Mushiye fears. Although unusual, Trapinch can trap Skuntank and Absol successfully, but it is very niche.)

tl; dr Musharna is a fucking boss

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
musharna is probably one of the most solid pokemon in the tier. it can choose to run a bulky support set, defensive calm mind set, or even a choice specs set, which means it can fit on every kind of team. it is a must have member of every baton pass and trick room team due to its reliability. the only downsides is its low speed stat and typing, which makes it vulnerable to skuntank and absol. however, its bulk makes up for that and it can even run hidden power ground or signal beam to ko or severely damage the aforementioned pokemon while surviving everything they can throw at it.

tl;dr if i could run 6 musharnas i would do it

Musharna
Type: Psychic
Base Stats: 116 HP / 55 Atk / 85 Def / 107 SpA / 95 SpD / 29 Spe
Ability: Forewarn / Synchronize / Tepeathy
First of all, it almost seems as if Musharna outclasses the tier with all of the bulk and versatility that it carries along with it. Musharna can play one of multiple roles on a team, or all of them at once. Either way, Musharna displays it's success in the job it needs to fulfill for almost anyone who throws it on a team. With the bulk to absorb nearly any physical attack that isn't effective in the metagame, Musharna becomes a force to be reckoned with. If you've created an NU team, and haven't accounted for opposing Musharna, then you should probably visit the drawing board again. Once Musharna's threats have been taken care of it immediately becomes a threat of it's own, and is able to turn even the worst of games around in the user's favor. Toss Musharna in at the correct time, or use it's ability Synchronize to turn the momentum around and you could be well on your way to winning the match.

Furthermore, Musharna is able to apply a plethora of movesets to it's advantage, and leaves the opponent wondering what they're in for. With access to Moonlight, Rest, Heal Bell, and it's Synchronize ability it can easily become a troublesome utility with great bulk. However, I find Musharna's true colors show through the use of a Calm Mind set. It can easily come in late game and completely destroy anyone who isn't prepared for this monster to let loose. Musharna becomes a viable Baton Pass easily, and can really release it's potential with it's admission to the move Stored Power. Chronicle everything together and it's easy to see how Musharna can become a staple within a low tier, and is even able to sparkle in the higher tiers with the proper preparation.

Lastly, I'd just like to toss a couple of viable sets up for anyone who may be interested to sample and discuss. Of course, there's hardly an end to the creativity you can throw into the mechanics of a set, but here's a couple that I think players could use to their advantage:

Bulky Baton Pass:
Musharna @ Leftovers
Trait: Synchronize
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 Spd
Bold Nature
- Baton Pass
- Rest
- Calm Mind
- Stored Power

Standard Calm Mind:

Musharna @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonlight
- Psychic
- Heal Bell / Signal Beam

note: Thanks to EBeast for letting me know the EV spreads above give Musharna the ability to
outspeed Amoonguss before it can Spore or Clear Smog while still maintaining the useful Leftovers boost.

Choiced:
Musharna @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Spd / 252 SAtk
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Signal Beam
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Trick / Sleep Talk

ebeast

she's probably sexting nprtprt
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Bulky Baton Pass:
Musharna @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SDef
Bold Nature
- Baton Pass
- Rest
- Calm Mind
- Stored Power

Standard Calm Mind:

Musharna @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonlight
- Psychic
- Heal Bell / Signal Beam

Choiced:
Musharna @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Spd / 252 SAtk
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Signal Beam
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Trick / Sleep Talk
For the Baton Pass and Calm Mind set you should be using the same 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 Spe Bold spread because it gives Musharna the ability to outspeed Amoonguss before it can Spore or Clear Smog while giving Musharna the ever so useful Leftovers number meaning that it'll get more bang for its buck with the recovery it gets every turn.

The main thing about the Choice Specs set is its surprise value as nobody really expects Musharna to be Specs. Other Psychic-types such as Beheeyem and Gardevoir are better users of Specs on the pure offensive but for them, especially Beheeyem, it's more to be expected and people will tend to keep Skuntank from switching in. Musharna is no Analytic Beheeyem, but like I said before Musharna is only inferior in terms of pure offensive. Mushy still holds much greater bulk thanks to its excellent 116/85/95 defenses and can take a hit and retaliate.

Oh my Musharna is just so good. Whenever I build a team without her I always end up weak to Gurdurr and Sawk, no exceptions. Musharna is one of my favourite pivots into the tier, and she just has so many sets that work. SOme of my personal favourites are: CM Baton Pass, A pure support set with twave, the standard defensive Calm Mind, Offensive Trick Room, Specs all work really well. The one set that I think never gets enough attention is the Offensive Trick Room set. Musharna can easily set up Trick Room on half of the tier, and can easily sweep once her few counters are weakened. A set of Trick Room / Psychic / Signal Beam / HP Ground is my personal favourite, because it hits Absol, Skuntank, and Probopass super effectively. By using the appropriate coverage move the first time, and then setting up a sweep later Musharna can effectively lure in its counters and cripple them. Even if Musharna is killed right after setting up Trick Room you can easily send in a slow teammate and continue the rampage.

Another Musharna set I haven't seen in forever is the LO tank. Some of you might remember me hyping that set back in the Jynx meta, but I haven't seen it since. With 3 attacks and Moonlight, Musharna becomes the perfect hit and run Pokemon, she still has amazing bulk but now has much more immediate offensive presence as well (since with no SpA investment she is quite weak at first). I really want to try this set again, but the loss of bulk really sucks against CB Sawk, who would rip through the meta if not for Mushy.

BW2 really buffed Musharna, Signal Beam is a great move in NU, hitting Psychics and Darks in one move is just what Mush needed; back in BW1 I often found myself choosing between the two. Another huge buff Mushy got is Heal Bell. Heal Bell allows Musharna to support the team so much better than before; she can effectively run a mono-attacking set now, doing that in BW1 is suicide since Musharna is toxic bait to the extreme. Now if you don't have 3 super powered Pokemon to sac to the set, or a dark-type you flat out lose to the mono attacker. Its part of the reason every team I have has either Skuntank or Absol. So Musharna is a member of all of my teams, as well as a Musharna counter. She's that good.

For the Baton Pass and Calm Mind set you should be using the same 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 Spe Bold spread because it gives Musharna the ability to outspeed Amoonguss before it can Spore or Clear Smog while giving Musharna the ever so useful Leftovers number meaning that it'll get more bang for its buck with the recovery it gets every turn.

The main thing about the Choice Specs set is its surprise value as nobody really expects Musharna to be Specs. Other Psychic-types such as Beheeyem and Gardevoir are better users of Specs on the pure offensive but for them, especially Beheeyem, it's more to be expected and people will tend to keep Skuntank from switching in. Musharna is no Analytic Beheeyem, but like I said before Musharna is only inferior in terms of pure offensive. Mushy still holds much greater bulk thanks to its excellent 116/85/95 defenses and can take a hit and re-taliate.
Thanks for the input EBeast! I'll fix the spreads in my post, that's a wonderful inquiry. I agree completely that the viability of Musharna @ Choice Specs lay heavily on the surprise factor. Catching many opponents off-guard and forcing them to hand over the momentum of the battle to you, Musharna can do a great job of shaking up the battle. I also see some great potential within the move Sleep Talk on Specs Musharna. Switching into any sleep induction only to backfire on the opposing end is another great way to keep your opponent on their toes. You then have the reigns to fire off a sleep talk on the switch, allowing you to deal considerable damage with assistance from the Choice Specs under good circumstance. This really allows Musharna to shine as a utility for turning the match in your favor when things are looking down, and I think it serves the role quite well.

BW2 really buffed Musharna, Signal Beam is a great move in NU, hitting Psychics and Darks in one move is just what Mush needed; back in BW1 I often found myself choosing between the two. Another huge buff Mushy got is Heal Bell. Heal Bell allows Musharna to support the team so much better than before; she can effectively run a mono-attacking set now, doing that in BW1 is suicide since Musharna is toxic bait to the extreme. Now if you don't have 3 super powered Pokemon to sac to the set, or a dark-type you flat out lose to the mono attacker. Its part of the reason every team I have has either Skuntank or Absol. So Musharna is a member of all of my teams, as well as a Musharna counter. She's that good.
You said it, Raseri. BW2 really gave Musharna the push it needed.
If you're not carrying Musharna, you're at least carrying a counter, or you're dead.

If you're not carrying Musharna, you're at least carrying a counter, or you're dead.
Hyper offense teams can usually get away with this because a lot of Pokemon on them have the potential to 2HKO Musharna. It's still a huge threat to them if they don't carry something such as Absol, but they won't get flat out destroyed by Musharna unlike more defensive teams.

So, there hasn't been must discussion about offensive Musharna, nor have I seen it on the ladder much. I think most people prefer that Musharna has as much bulk possible, as well as some of its supporting moves such as Heal Bell and Thunder Wave. Sawk, a Pokemon defensive Musharna easily counters, can break through offensive Musharna much easier thanks to the lack of bulk and Leftovers. Life Orb recoil is incredibly inconvenient for Musharna as well.

I'd say Musharna's worst flaw is just how damn slow it is -- it doesn't even outspeed Amoonguss. Most of the time I find a Musharna sweep cut short just because it kept on getting pummeled by powerful attacks and couldn't heal fast enough. This is why I think Trick Room Musharna has incredible, under-explored potential. Psychic / Signal Beam / Moonlight / Trick Room @ Life Orb (Leftovers / Twistedspoon may be worth considering as well) is probably incredibly potent. Hidden Power Ground is indeed nice, but Skuntank is manageable through teammates or just weakening it. Trick Room only lasts five turns, but that's plenty of time to take advantage of it. Musharna would be like a balanced Trick Room sweeper; it can sweep, however it sacrifices strength for bulk. I haven't even gotten into teammates yet. Trick Room teams are quite flawed and extremely weak to top threats such as Absol, but that doesn't mean that using slow Pokemon to take advantage of Musharna's Trick Room is a bad idea. There are plenty of extremely strong, slow Pokemon in the tier. All of them are good on their own and fantastic in Trick Room. One notable example of this is Choice Band Emboar. Some other good Pokemon that'd fit this role are Marowak, Rampardos, and Ursaring.

Mizuhime

Did I mistake you for a sign from God?
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This is why I think Trick Room Musharna has incredible, under-explored potential. Psychic / Signal Beam / Moonlight / Trick Room @ Life Orb (Leftovers / Twistedspoon may be worth considering as well)
Judging from Musharna's natural bulk, access to calm mind, A psychic stab and a filler move, you could run Musharna just like a Reuniclus in OU, if not prepared for an offensive threat in trick room, it will just eat you up. Running an Offensive trick room set with calm mind could easily be beneficial to anyone wanting to use it.

Another set that could work well is the mono attack set, generally mono attacking isn't the greatest idea, but with good physical bulk and access to calm mind you could run a set that looks like this.

252hp/252def/4 sp attack Bold nature @ leftovers
psychic
Calm mind
Rest
Sleep talk

the obvious benefits of this set is having a pokemon that would be incredibly hard to K.O (see crocune 4th gen OU). Acting as a late game sweeping it would extremely hard to stop for an opponent of any caliber if it's played correctly

Judging from Musharna's natural bulk, access to calm mind, A psychic stab and a filler move, you could run Musharna just like a Reuniclus in OU, if not prepared for an offensive threat in trick room, it will just eat you up. Running an Offensive trick room set with calm mind could easily be beneficial to anyone wanting to use it.

Another set that could work well is the mono attack set, generally mono attacking isn't the greatest idea, but with good physical bulk and access to calm mind you could run a set that looks like this.

252hp/252def/4 sp attack Bold nature @ leftovers
psychic
Calm mind
Rest
Sleep talk

the obvious benefits of this set is having a pokemon that would be incredibly hard to K.O (see crocune 4th gen OU). Acting as a late game sweeping it would extremely hard to stop for an opponent of any caliber if it's played correctly
meh, that set is pretty much totally inferior to the standard Calm Mind / Moonlight / Psychic / Heal Bell set. You should not use RestTalk on any Pokemon unless that Pokemon really needs it; Musharna has both Moonlight and Heal Bell, so RestTalk is pretty pointless.

Musharna is in my opinion, one of the best Pokemon in the tier. Her overall bulk is good enough to be a great defensive 'mon. I've experimented with different teams in NU and my best teams have Mushy on them. My favorite set is the 'standard Calm Mind' set above; the EV spread gives her decent physical bulk and her special bulk is already good and if you get in a CM boost or two, she's extremely hard to bring down on the special side.

Overall, she's a great asset on most teams, an absolute must on defensive teams if you ask me.

Personally, I find ResTalk Musharna the most USEFUL, which is also surprisingly an underrated set, with Amoonguss being the number 1 usage in NU, Musharna quite easily takes the spore and can get some nice Sleep talks off

RestTalk:
Musharna @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Sleep talk
- Rest
- Psychic
- Signal

I'm still testing my own EV spread, but signal beam helps hit Absol that can try and set up some SDs on you. Although, Sorry to burst everyone's praise on Musharna, I'm not that fond of it, not to say it doesn't frequently ruin my Amoonguss spores and Gurrdurr sweeps.

Personally, I find ResTalk Musharna the most USEFUL, which is also surprisingly an underrated set, with Amoonguss being the number 1 usage in NU, Musharna quite easily takes the spore and can get some nice Sleep talks off

RestTalk:
Musharna @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Sleep talk
- Rest
- Psychic
- Signal

I'm still testing my own EV spread, but signal beam helps hit Absol that can try and set up some SDs on you. Although, Sorry to burst everyone's praise on Musharna, I'm not that fond of it, not to say it doesn't frequently ruin my Amoonguss spores and Gurrdurr sweeps.
with the current spread that you have, musharna is too pitifully weak to threaten things at all despite it being a supposedly good sleep absorber. things like sub bulk up braviary can easily set up on that musharna. you'd either have to go max special attack or fit calm mind in there, but as mentioned already, going with calm mind and moonlight is much better since it doesn't suffer from sleep talk's unreliability.

amoonguss can be handled in much more efficient ways (like using other substitute setup users) and i don't think musharna has any business other than hitting it with a psychic if amoonguss is at low enough hp or unless musharna has enough boosts. resttalk only gets through sleep but doesn't provide anything else that its standard set doesn't have. running 16 spe also helps musharna outspeed amoonguss so that you can strike first.

with the current spread that you have, musharna is too pitifully weak to threaten things at all despite it being a supposedly good sleep absorber. things like sub bulk up braviary can easily set up on that musharna. you'd either have to go max special attack or fit calm mind in there, but as mentioned already, going with calm mind and moonlight is much better since it doesn't suffer from sleep talk's unreliability.

amoonguss can be handled in much more efficient ways (like using other substitute setup users) and i don't think musharna has any business other than hitting it with a psychic if amoonguss is at low enough hp or unless musharna has enough boosts. resttalk only gets through sleep but doesn't provide anything else that its standard set doesn't have. running 16 spe also helps musharna outspeed amoonguss so that you can strike first.
Yes, it has been mentioned moonlight & CM is much superior, just thought I'd throw my opinion in, but I'll talk note, thanks.

Hyper offense teams can usually get away with this because a lot of Pokemon on them have the potential to 2HKO Musharna. It's still a huge threat to them if they don't carry something such as Absol, but they won't get flat out destroyed by Musharna unlike more defensive teams.
Great point DTC, I marvel at how I forgot to mention Hyper Offense, because it's what I've been testing lately. Musharna may be bulky, but when you introduce boosts it no longer matters due to Musharna being an easy 2HKO by most offensive sets. I also find Musharna's terrible speed becomes a large factor in its collapse like you've mentioned. I think Trick Room can work great wonders with Musharna, and I've posted this similiar set recently on another thread:

Musharna @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 Def
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Psychic
- Signal Beam
- Moonlight / Hidden Power [Ground]
- Trick Room

I haven't gotten around to testing it myself yet, but I think it looks interesting at the least and could probably be pretty viable with the right support. I also think that paired with a couple slow underdogs it could be a formidable threat in the metagame. I run a successful Emboar variant on my Trick Room team in OU, so I can assure that he'd fit the attacker role for anyone looking to test out Trick Room on Musharna.

RestTalk:
Musharna @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Sleep talk
- Rest
- Psychic
- Signal
You should not use RestTalk on any Pokemon unless that Pokemon really needs it
If you need a better Amoonguss counter, you should try out Gardevoir. Tweaking the standard SubCM is a great place to start:

Gardevoir (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Trace
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Focus Blast / Signal Beam

This makes a potent counter to Amoonguss, and allows you to trace its Regenerator ability to your own advantage. You could also run this with Lum Berry, meaning you can switch into Spore allowing you to go for the Substitute and proceed with Calm Mind. Signal Beam can help deal with Dark types, but if you're more risky +1 Gardevoir is capable of OHKOing specially defensive Lickilicky with Focus Blast. That's some power for you.

Musharna is really good. My favorite is the Life Orb set onsite.

Musharna @ Life Orb
EVs: 240 HP / 252 SpA / 16 Spd
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Signal Beam
- Hidden Power Ground / Heal Bell
- Moonlight

This set is still a good tank, but it can also deal immediate and strong damage without needing boosts or needing to be choiced. Moonlight is really synergistic with Life Orb and Musharna's decent bulk. I sometimes use Heal Bell if my team is really weak to status.

I've been mostly using specs Musharna lately. I always find it to surprise the opponent and get heavy damage on something. Outside of that though, I'm pretty sure Mush is the best CM user in the tier. If you haven't used it yet you really should. It does work.

Also, if you're gonna use RestTalk Musharna. This spread is pretty good:

Musharna @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP / 252 SAtk / 16 Spd
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

I've tried every Musharna variant in existence, other than maybe some gimmick sets I don't know about. First of all, she really wished she had 5 moveslots, as decision between coverage move and Heal Bell is big.

Signal Beam might take Absol, sure. But Skuntank will bash your face in.

Life Orb variant seems like the best compromise, however even with max SpA investment it misses out quite a lot of OHKOs, unless you pair it with Modest nature which in turn hurts your bulk. And that can bite you in the ass. I've finally settled on:

Musharna @ Life Orb
EVs: 240 HP / 16 Spd / 252 Def
Modest Nature
- Moonlight
- Heal Bell
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Ground]

I am however still tweaking.

@ IceSpade / Manveru123

I agree that Life Orb Musharna is a great set that is also underused, but the EVs you guys listed seems really unnecessary. With a Life Orb, Musharna is lowering its all-around bulk by losing 10% each turn it attacks so 252 Defense EVs aren't really beneficial. A Modest nature still isn't enough to make Musharna powerful enough to hit Pokemon hard such as Skuntank, Cinccino, Alomomola or even OHKOing Absol 100% of the time. I think that an EV spread of 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Def is the best EV spread for Life Orb Musharna. It allows it to be capable of what it is meant to do, a bulky attacker. Unlike other spreads that use 240 HP EVs, those are unnecessary since Musharna isn't running Leftovers. Heal Bell shouldn't really be used unless your team is desperately in need of it so other options like Hidden Power Ground (which was mentioned) or even Trick Room, since both allow it to become more offensive.

@NuclearMedicineT

RestTalk Musharna is a pretty inferior version of the Calm Mind version since it already has Moonlight and Heal Bell, like how DTC stated above. RestTalk is also unreliable and already limits Musharna to one move in Psychic. The EV Spread also doesn't seem that great since CM Musharna, especially RestTalk Musharna, is focused on boosting multiple times. A Modest Nature and 252 SpA EVs don't help it boost enough and aren't necessary especially with only one offensive move in Psychic. 252 EVs in Defense and a Bold Nature would allow it to boost many more times during a match while also taking on threats such as CB Sawk better.

@Annoyer Woah didn't notice that. It actually is supposed to be 252 SpA. Thanks for noticing.
I sometimes use Heal Bell when my team is weak to status and I don't have any other Pokemon that can use it. When there's a Skuntank I just usually play smart (not that hard as Skuntank switches and movesets are too predictable). Maybe I'll try out Trick Room, it looks interesting. :)

I find it weird that no one talks about Pivot Musharna. It's a very weak set offensively but that's really not the point at all. Besides psychic and moonlight, you get to pick two out of three support options: T-Wave to allow for slow sweepers like Ursaring to come in, Heal Bell to cure status from those who hate it, like a burned physical Samurott, and arguably the most useful, Baton Pass.

Dry passing with Musharna is incredibly useful. Let's say your opponent sends out a choice band Sawk out on your Lickilicky or something like that. You want to just kill it with Swellow, but what you do instead is pivot to Musharna, take the close combat very well, and baton pass. Your opponent either switches and you get momentum and a free switch, or Swellow can come in for free without taking a hit, and activate its Toxic Orb. So the point of the set is to give free switchins for all your frail pokemon, and which is a very good ability to have.

Here's the set copied from the analysis:

Musharna @ Leftovers
Trait: Syncronize
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 SDef
Bold Nature
- Psychic
- Moonlight
- Thunder Wave / Baton Pass
- Heal Bell / Baton Pass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)