Gen 1 Imma WHIP you!!!

Did no one else find it strange, as a child, to play Red/Blue and see so many trainers with whips? I mean, as a child, I thought it was morbid! I understould why they whipped their pokemon, but I didn't understand why everyone had to be evil!

I figured atleast most of the trainers wouldn't be cruel to their pokemon... becuase, the TV Show made everyone jacked up on happy pills. What else would I of expected? OK, there was like ONE guy with a whip. He whipped his Sandshrew to make it work harder.

I asked my friend about this earlier, he said he doesn't even remember the whip carrying trainers as a child!

Still, no one noticed that the whole WHIP thing just VANISHED over time?

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
The RBY pokemon world is significantly darker than subsequent games and FAR darker than the anime. And all the games have pokedex entries that hint towards something significantly darker than what appears on the surface of the world.

In any case, I assume the games have gotten more censored over time as they gained attention. This kind of pissed me off in FR/LG (GAMER?!?), but meh...there's your answer.

The only whip-trainer that surprised me was Sabrina -- it doesn't seem fitting for her.

I never understood (and still don't) how the female Cooltrainer works. I used to think she's whipping her hair or something, and for some reason it seems she has three arms.

I also don't get why the male Cooltrainer can fly.

Amazing.

If you look at the cueball from this gen you'll notice he has what appears to be a can covering his unit. What's that shaft-like thing dipping into it?

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Lol, yea, RBY is sinister and not as censored as the subsequent series...anyone remember the Mt. Moon?

Picnic Girl: Hey, what are you trying to do in the dark?! or something like that

Lol, yea, RBY is sinister and not as censored as the subsequent series...anyone remember the Mt. Moon?

Picnic Girl: Hey, what are you trying to do in the dark?! or something like that
And of course who can forget the Marowak that was murdered by team rocket.

I loved the imagery of "war pokemon" given by Lt. Surge in his pre-battle speech.

"Pokemon saved my life during the war. They shocked my enemies into submission!"

If I am not mistaken, the log files of Mew/Mewtwo in Cinnabar Island kind of had a dark touch to it.

Plus, ..."horrific gene splicing"...kinda brought a shudder the first time I ever read the entry of Mewtwo.

Great Sage

Banned deucer.
Yeah, the R/B sprites weren't too great, as evidenced by Machop looking like a gingerbread man. I think that the whips were used to control Pokemon before this whole friendship thing started.

Yeah, the R/B sprites weren't too great, as evidenced by Machop looking like a gingerbread man. I think that the whips were used to control Pokemon before this whole friendship thing started.
I agree with the whole controlling pokemon thing....
and
but look at Blaines sprite....he looks like a alien...now thats bad D:

makiri

My vast and supreme will shall be done!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
Wow I never realized this, RBY was pretty damn dark. Murders, whips, and other random ass stuff. Pokemon has really become kid friendly in the other generations. Surprised there weren't more lawsuits and complaints back then.

The RBY pokemon world is significantly darker than subsequent games and FAR darker than the anime. And all the games have pokedex entries that hint towards something significantly darker than what appears on the surface of the world.
Well, when you think about it, RBY was the generation whose main legendary Pokemon was Mewtwo, who was essentially a tortured animal whose genes were recombined over and over again in "horrific experiments." In Pokemon Gold and Silver the main legendaries were essentially guardians, and in Ruby and Sapphire they were creators. In this generation (Diamond and Pearl), they're deities. Mewtwo, however, stands out as an essentially violent, battered Pokemon. Mewtwo needs love.

Oak's mouth makes him look like a robot. :P

Also, I think those are shades that Blaine is wearing...
Also also, one thing I never got about the Bikers was why they had motorcycles on Bicycle Road. Just a thought.

What does that Channeler have in hand? is that a whip or a fan? or something else?

doesn't want to know why cube-ball has a cup in the "special" place

Vineon

Fleurdelysé
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
lol

even the bug catchers and campers look evil

didnt notice that when I first played the game.

Well, when you think about it, RBY was the generation whose main legendary Pokemon was Mewtwo, who was essentially a tortured animal whose genes were recombined over and over again in "horrific experiments." In Pokemon Gold and Silver the main legendaries were essentially guardians, and in Ruby and Sapphire they were creators. In this generation (Diamond and Pearl), they're deities. Mewtwo, however, stands out as an essentially violent, battered Pokemon. Mewtwo needs love.
I love Mewtwo!!!

Seriously, I counted atleast 9 sprites in there with whips...That's animal abuse.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)