Golurk (QC 3/3) (GP 2/2)

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
[Overview]

<p>Golurk is one of the Pokemon that gained a lot of new toys in the transition to BW2. The addition of Stealth Rock and the elemental punches to its movepool only makes Golurk more diverse than it once was. It stands out from the rest of its fully-evolved Ghost-type brethren with a unique Ground / Ghost typing, bringing with it STAB Earthquake as well as a titanic base 124 Attack. A great ability in Iron Fist complements its decent physical movepool, boosting a number of its moves including Shadow Punch and Fire Punch. These qualities allow Golurk to hit like a truck while also having moderate utility in Stealth Rock and spinblocking. Its typing also provides many neat resistances, allowing it to take on the likes of Heracross and Mienshao with ease.</p>

<p>Unfortunately, like any other Pokemon, Golurk does suffer from quite a few drawbacks that hold it back. The biggest problem with Golurk is its poor base 55 Speed. Additionally, its bulk, while good, is not great, meaning a couple of hits can take it down relatively easily; this is compounded by its lack of reliable recovery and its myriad of weaknesses to common attacking types, such as Water, Grass, and Dark, which limit its ability to survive on the battlefield.</p>

[SET]
name: Tank
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Fire Punch
move 4: Shadow Punch
item: Leftovers
ability: Iron Fist
nature: Adamant
evs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This is Golurk's best and only viable set in UU. Thanks to decent 89 / 80 / 80 bulk, great resistances to Bug- , Rock-, and Poison-type attacks, as well as immunities to Normal-, Fighting-, and Electric-type onslaughts, Golurk can hold its own defensively despite being so slow. Golurk's own 124 base Attack ensures it is not a sitting duck either and allows it to fulfill its role as an offensive tank.</p>

<p>Stealth Rock is the main move on this set, providing invaluable team support by limiting the opponent's switch-ins. Golurk is particularly good at setting it up, as not only do its resistances give it ample opportunities to do so, but its Ghost typing also allows it to spinblock, keeping Stealth Rock on the field. Earthquake is the obvious Ground-type STAB move of choice. Fire Punch is the needed coverage move; it complements Earthquake by hitting Grass-types, Heracross, and Bronzong super effectively, all of which resist or are immune to Earthquake. Shadow Punch is the second STAB move; it 2HKOes Slowbro, while also hitting Azelf and Mismagius for serious damage on the switch-in.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EV spread maximizes HP and Attack to ensure Golurk can be a solid tank, providing much needed bulk and firepower. The remaining 4 EVs are invested into Special Defense to make sure that the odd Porygon2 does not obtain a Special Attack boost from Download. Leftovers is the preferred item here for its consistent recovery, which is needed for any tank. An Adamant nature is chosen here to provide the highest Attack stat attainable in order to KO certain targets. Alternatively, a more defensive EV spread is usable to make Golurk bulkier, but it generally needs all the Attack possible to be successful; for example, without max Attack, Golurk cannot KO Heracross with Fire Punch. Ice Punch and ThunderPunch are both decent options over Fire Punch to deal with Gligar and Suicune, respectively, but neither is too useful otherwise.</p>

<p>Life Orb is usable if you want more power; however, the loss of HP is really detrimental to Golurk's role as a tank. Potential teammates for Golurk include Mienshao and Zapdos, as they can deal with Dark-types and Water-types, respectively. Crobat is also a decent choice to force out any Roserade, Shaymin, or Virizion that choose to switch in on Golurk.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Golurk has quite a few other options in its movepool other than those listed above. Hammer Arm might seem like a good option because it is boosted by Iron Fist, but it has redundant coverage with Earthquake. Rock Polish is a decent way to attempt to transform Golurk into a sweeper; however, Golurk is too slow to utilize it effectively. A SubPunch set is powerful, but Machamp and Heracross do it better; moreover, using Substitute on a tank is counterproductive. A Choice Band set with Earthquake, Shadow Punch, Fire Punch, Ice Punch or ThunderPunch, and an EV spread of 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe, is also a possibility, and packs the power to OHKO or 2HKO the majority of the tier, but again, Golurk is too slow to pull it off effectively. DynamicPunch seems like a good option as Golurk has No Guard, but Machamp outclasses it at this role, courtesy of having STAB on DynamicPunch and a higher Attack stat. Last but not least, Golurk has Stone Edge; however, while it does provide near perfect coverage with Earthquake, it is generally outclassed by Ice Punch.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Dark-types, such as Scrafty, Weavile, and Krookodile, stand out as the best checks to Golurk. All three can hurt Golurk with their Dark-type STAB, while Weavile and Krookodile in particular can use Pursuit predicting Golurk to switch out. Bulky Water-types, such as Suicune and Swampert, are not 2HKOed by any of Golurk's attacks and can retaliate with Scald or Waterfall. Roserade, Shaymin, and Virizion all threaten Golurk with their Grass-type STAB, but must be wary of an incoming Fire Punch, and Roserade of an Earthquake as well. Gligar also walls most Golurk to no end, but if it has Ice Punch, Gligar is in for trouble. Chandelure and Mismagius can outspeed Golurk and KO it with Shadow Ball, but neither can switch in on Shadow Punch, or even Earthquake in Chandelure's case. Finally, Togekiss and Zapdos take little from any of Golurk's attacks, except Ice Punch and Stone Edge, and can use Air Slash and Hidden Power Ice, respectively, to damage it significantly.</p>

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
I don't like the defensive set's EVs at all... but I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and let you explain them before I tell you to change them. I'm also pretty weary of the SubPunch set because, if you're using Golurk, you're using it to tank hits from Fighting-types, and using Sub on a Tank is just counterproductive.

I would also consider working Fire Punch into the actual sets somewhere so you have something to hit Heracross with (Ground + Fire is great coverage anyway). Perhaps over Ice Punch, since you're not getting past Gligar regardless and Fire covers Grass-types well enough.

Echoing Koko with Fire Punch, since Golurk resists the three most common moves Heracross is going to spam, though it's still not going to like taking them.

Sub Punch is kind of overrated IMO. Might be an OO Option, since as Koko said, using Sub on a tank is not really all too great.

What is the point of the Offensive SR setter? Does it do anything really notable that the Defensive set doesn't do? Since Golurk is slow anyway, it should probably focus more on it's pretty good defensive typing as a tank. Do others like that set?

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
Hmm...I guess Fire Punch could be worth a mention, I put it in OO at first because it has redundant coverage with EQ, but since Heracross is so common, I guess it's worth a mention.

And I've had some success with SubPunch. It proves itself an extremely powerful set, wit high powered Focus Punches coming off of 124 Attack and Iron Fist. Also hurls Weavile and Scrafty into oblivion.

Speaking of defensive EV's, the idea was to make it specially defensive, while also giving it a bit of offensive presence. It was to help Golurk take special hits very well. But I'm also considering switching the defenses EV's. How's that?

kokoloko

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
You don't understand; Fire Punch deserves more than a mention--it should be a primary slash. It does not provide redundant coverage with Earthquake at all... if anything, Fighting is the type that is redundant with Ground.

Anyway, I'm going to look around and talk to people about suitable EVs for the first set and I'm flat-out rejecting the SubPunch set, sorry.

QC should get together and discuss this whole analysis further, btw. I'm honestly not even sure I'd ever use CB Golurk...

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
You don't understand; Fire Punch deserves more than a mention--it should be a primary slash. It does not provide redundant coverage with Earthquake at all... if anything, Fighting is the type that is redundant with Ground.

Anyway, I'm going to look around and talk to people about suitable EVs for the first set and I'm flat-out rejecting the SubPunch set, sorry.

QC should get together and discuss this whole analysis further, btw. I'm honestly not even sure I'd ever use CB Golurk...
I'm fine with takng out the SubPunch set. I've had success with it but it's depressingly outclassed by Machamp and even Darmanitan in that respect (Hell, even Scrafty is better)

And I can now easily agree Fire Punch should be a main move. It not only hurts Heracross, but Bronzong, who is the premier UU wall, as well. It also hurts Shaymin as well. In the UU tier Fire Punch is more important since Heracross and Bronzong are much more prominent than Gligar.

And the Choice Band set is admittedly mighty powerful. Golurk's raw power allows it to easily bring the pain to the majority of the tier, and it can hurt a shit ton of things in the tier.

I'll add the changes to the analysis as needed. And I never mentioned this, but I'm debating on whether Rock Polish should still be considered OO.

kokoloko

Okay, QC got together and discussed this on IRC yesterday--although not as thoroughly as I had hoped. We all agree for the most part that the only thing Golurk should be doing is the following:

move 1: Earthquake
move 2: Stealth Rock

Everything else is either AC or OO material. Funnily enough, this thing sometimes loses to CB Heracross with only max HP, but without max Attack, it can't even OHKO with Iron Fist Fire Punch after SR... so yeah. Shadow Punch is only staying because it actually has a shot at 2HKOing Slowbro after SR; it's otherwise pretty useless, but its not like Golurk has anything else to do.

Btw, when mentioning an Ice-type move in OO, make sure Ice Beam doesn't do more to Gligar than Ice Punch, because I think it actually does.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
Okay, QC got together and discussed this on IRC yesterday--although not as thoroughly as I had hoped. We all agree for the most part that the only thing Golurk should be doing is the following:

move 1: Earthquake
move 2: Stealth Rock

Everything else is either AC or OO material. Funnily enough, this thing sometimes loses to CB Heracross with only max HP, but without max Attack, it can't even OHKO with Iron Fist Fire Punch after SR... so yeah. Shadow Punch is only staying because it actually has a shot at 2HKOing Slowbro after SR; it's otherwise pretty useless, but its not like Golurk has anything else to do.

Btw, when mentioning an Ice-type move in OO, make sure Ice Beam doesn't do more to Gligar than Ice Punch, because I think it actually does.
Oddly enough, I just calculated Ice Beam vs. Ice Punch in a Golurk vs. Standard Gligar set; and here's the calculation:

0SpAtk Iron Fist Golurk (-SAtk) Ice Beam vs 252HP/0SpDef Eviolite Gligar (Neutral): 43% - 51% (144 - 172 HP). Guaranteed 3HKO. 5% chance to 2HKO
0SpAtk Iron Fist Golurk (Neutral) Ice Beam vs 252HP/0SpDef Eviolite Gligar (Neutral): 47% - 57% (160 - 192 HP). Guaranteed 3HKO. 22% chance to 2HKO.
^That's Ice Beam right there
252Atk Iron Fist Golurk (+Atk) Ice Punch vs 252HP/252Def Eviolite Gligar (+Def): 58% - 69% (196 - 232 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.
^That's Ice Punch

In short, Ice Punch is stronger

Anyways, I'll change the analysis to only have the last set. After that, it'll be ready for checks!

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
Alright, now that you guys finally QC'd this, I added Zapdos, Togekiss, and Viri to the Checks and Counters list. I'll be sure to get this written up as soon as possible.

His Eminence Lord Poppington II

proverb:the fish who eats most dies still too
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/623.shtml

[Overview]
<p>Golurk is one of those Pokemon who gained plenty of new toys in the transition to BW2. The additions of Stealth Rock and the Elemental Punches only made Golurk more diverse than he once was. He stands out from the rest of his fully-evolved Ghost-type brethren with a unique Ground/Ghost typing, accompanied with STAB Earthquake, as well as a titanic 124 Attack stat. A great ability in Iron Fist complements his decent physical movepool, boosting a number of his moves, such as Shadow Punch and Fire Punch. These qualities allow Golurk to hit like a truck, while also having moderate utility in setting up Stealth Rock and spinblocking. His typing also provides many neat resistances, allowing him to take on the likes of Heracross and Mienshao with ease.</p>

<p>Unfortunately, like most Pokemon, Golurk does suffer from quite a few drawbacks. The biggest problem with Golurk is his less than stellar 55 base Speed, which means he is outsped by the majority of the metagame. His bulk, while good, is not great, meaning a couple of hits can take him down relatively easily&mdash;this is compounded by his lack of reliable recovery. A myriad of weaknesses to common attacking types, such as Water-, Grass-, and Dark-type attacks, limits his ability to survive on the battlefield. Nonetheless, his selling points outweigh his drawbacks, and if you can play Golurk to his strengths, he won't let you down.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>This is Golurk's best and only viable set in UU. Thanks to decent 89/80/80 bulk, great resistances to Bug- , Rock-, and Poison-type attacks, as well as immunities to Normal-, Fighting-, and Electric-type onslaughts, Golurk can hold his own defensively, despite being so slow. Golurk's own 124 base Attack ensures it is not a sitting duck either, and completes his role as an offensive tank. </p>

<p>Stealth Rock is the main move of this set, providing invaluable team support by limiting the opponent’s switch-ins. Golurk is particularly good at setting it up, since not only do his resistances give him ample opportunity to do so, but his Ghost-typing allows also him to spinblock, keeping Stealth Rock in the field. Earthquake is the obvious Ground-type STAB move of choice. Fire Punch is the needed coverage move; it complements Earthquake by hitting Grass-types, Heracross, and Bronzong super effectively, all of which resist or are immune to Earthquake. Shadow Punch is the second STAB move; it 2HKOes Slowbro (if it KOes Slowbro after an Earthquake you should mention that), while also hurting Azelf and Mismagius for serious damage if they attempt to come in on an Earthquake.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>The EV spread invests maximum HP and Attack to ensure Golurk can be a solid tank, providing much needed bulk and firepower. The remaining EV point is invested into Special Defense to ensure that the odd Porygon2 does not obtain a Special Attack boost from Download. Leftovers is the preferred item for its consistent recovery, which is needed for any tank. An Adamant Nature is chosen to provide the highest Attack stat attainable in order to OHKO or 2HKO needed targets. Alternatively, a more defensive EV spread of 252 HP / 72 Atk / 12 Def / 168 SpD is usable to make Golurk bulkier, but generally he needs all the Attack he can get to be successful&mdash;for example, without maximum Attack investment, Golurk fails to KO Heracross with Fire Punch. Ice Punch and ThunderPunch are both decent options over Fire Punch to deal with Gligar and Suicune, respsectively, but neither are too useful otherwise.</p>

<p>Life Orb is a decent item if you want more power, however, the loss of HP is really hurtful to Golurk’s role as a tank. Potential teammates for Golurk include Mienshao and Zapdos, since they can deal with Dark-types and Water-types, respectively. Crobat is also a decent choice for any Roserade, Shaymin, or Virizion that choose to switch in on Golurk.</p>

[Other Options]
<p>Golurk has quite a few other options in its movepool other than those listed above. Hammer Arm seems like a good option because it is boosted by Iron Fist, but has redundant coverage with Earthquake. Rock Polish is a decent option that attempts to transform Golurk into a sweeper, but Golurk is too slow to utilize it effectively. A SubPunch set is quite powerful, but Machamp and Heracross do it better, moreover, using Substitute on a tank is counterproductive. A Choice Band set with Earthquake, Shadow Punch, Fire Punch, and Ice Punch or ThunderPunch, with an EV spread of 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe is also a possibility, and packs the power to OHKO or 2HKO the majority of the tier, but again, Golurk is too slow to pull it off effectively (use another reason if this one isn’t true, but it is in other options for a reason. Say why it shouldn’t be used). DynamicPunch seems like a cool option since Golurk has No Guard, but Machamp outclasses it at this role, courtesy of having STAB on DynamicPunch, and a higher Attack stat. Last but not least, Golurk has Stone Edge, which, while it does provide near perfect coverage with Earthquake, is generally outclassed by Ice Punch.</p>

[Checks and Counters]
<p>Dark-types, such as Scrafty, Weavile, and Krookodile, stand out as the best checks to Golurk. All three can hurt Golurk with their Dark-type STAB, while Weavile and Krookodile in particular can use Pursuit if the opponent predicts Golurk to switch out. Bulky Waters, such as Suicune and Swampert, are not 2HKOED by any of Golurk's attacks, and can retaliate with Scald or Waterfall. Roserade, Shaymin, and Virizion all threaten Golurk with their Grass-type STAB, but must be wary of an incoming Fire Punch&mdash;and Roserade an Earthquake as well. Gligar also walls Golurk to no end, but if Golurk has Ice Punch Gligar is in for trouble. Chandelure and Mismagius can outspeed Golurk and KO him with Shadow Ball, but neither can switch in on Shadow Punch, or even Earthquake in Chandelure's case. Finally, Togekiss and Zapdos take little from any of Golurk's attacks, except Ice Punch or Stone Edge, and can use Air Slash and Hidden Power Ice, respectively, to hurt him significantly.</p>
diff don't work :<

c/p amcheck

His Eminence Lord Poppington II

proverb:the fish who eats most dies still too
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
sorry, this

Alternatively, a more defensive EV spread of 252 HP / 72 Atk / 12 Def / 168 SpD is possible to allow Golurk to make Golurk bulkier, but generally he needs all the Attack to be successful, as&mdash; for example, without max Attack, Golurk cannot KO Heracross with Fire Punch.

bold should be removed

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
sorry, this

Alternatively, a more defensive EV spread of 252 HP / 72 Atk / 12 Def / 168 SpD is possible to allow Golurk to make Golurk bulkier, but generally he needs all the Attack to be successful, as&mdash; for example, without max Attack, Golurk cannot KO Heracross with Fire Punch.

bold should be removed
Fixed.

michael

m as in mancy
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
[Overview]
<p>Golurk is one of those Pokemon whoich gained plenty of new toys in the transition to BW2. The additions of Stealth Rock and the Eelemental Ppunches to its movepool only makes Golurk more diverse than heit once was. HeIt stands out from the rest of hits fully-evolved Ghost-type brethren with a unique Ground / Ghost typing, accompaniedbringing with it STAB Earthquake, as well as a titanic base 124 Attack stat. A great ability in Iron Fist complements hits decent physical movepool, boosting a number of hits moves such asincluding Shadow Punch and Fire Punch. These qualities allow Golurk to hit like a truck while also having moderate utility in Stealth Rock and spinblocking. HiIts typing also provides many neat resistances, allowing himit to take on the likes of Heracross and Mienshao with ease.</p>

<p>Unfortunately, like any other Pokemon, Golurk does suffer from quite a few drawbacks that hold himit back. The biggest problem with Golurk is hits less than stellarpoor base 55 Speed, which means he is ou. Itsped by the majority of the metagame. His bulk, while good, is not great, meaning a couple of hits can take himit down relatively easily&mdash; this is compunded by hits lack of reliable recovery. A myriad of weaknesses to common attacking types, such as Water, Grass, and Dark, limits hits ability to survive on the battlefield. Nonetheless, his selling points outweigh his drawbacks, and if you can play Golurk to his strengths, he won't let you down.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>This is Golurk's best and only viable set in UU. Thanks to decent 89 / 80 / 80 bulk, great resistances to Bug- , Rock-, and Poison-type attacks, as well as immunities to Normal-, Fighting-, and Electric-type onslaughts, Golurk can hold hits own defensively, despite being so slow. Golurk's own 124 base Attack ensures it is not a sitting duck either, and completes hits role as an offensive tank.</p>

<p>Stealth Rock is the main move of this set, providing invaluable team support by limiting the opponent’s switch-ins. Golurk is particularly good at setting it up, asince not only do hits resistances give himit ample opportunityies to do so, but hits Ghost- typing allows also himit to spinblock, keeping Stealth Rock in the field. Earthquake is the obvious Ground-type STAB move of choice. Fire Punch is the needed coverage move; it complements Earthquake by hitting Grass-types, Heracross, and Bronzong super effectively, all of which resist or are immune to Earthquake. Shadow Punch is the second STAB move; it 2HKOes Slowbro, while also huritting Azelf and Mismagius for serious damage ifon they attempt to come in on an Earthquake switch-in.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>The EV spread invests maximum HP and Attack to ensure Golurk can be a solid tank, providing much needed bulk and firepower at once. The remaining 4 EV point is are invested into Special Defense to make sure that the odd Porygon2 does not obtain a Special Attack boost from Download. Leftovers is the preferred item here for its consistent recovery, which is needed for any tank. An Adamant Nnature is chosen here to provide the highest Attack stat attainable in order to OHKO or 2HKO neededcertain targets. Alternatively, a more defensive EV spread of 252 HP / 72 Atk / 12 Def / 168 SpD is possiusable to allow Golurk to make Golurk bulkier, but it generally he needs all the Attack to be successful&mdash; for example, without max Attack, Golurk cannot KO Heracross with Fire Punch. Ice Punch and ThunderPunch are both decent options over Fire Punch to deal with Gligar and Suicune, respsectively, but neither areis too useful otherwise.</p>

<p>Life Orb is a decent itemuseful if you want more power,; however, the loss of HP is really hurtfudetrimental to Golurk’s role as a tank. Potential teammates for Golurk include Mienshao and Zapdos, asince they can deal with Dark-types and Water-types, respectively. Crobat is also a decent choice to force out any Roserade, Shaymin, or Virizion that choose to switch in on Golurk.</p>

[Other Options]
<p>Golurk has quite a few other options in its movepool other than those listed above. Hammer Arm might seems like a good option because it is boosted by Iron Fist, but it has redundant coverage with Earthquake. Rock Polish is a decent option that it attempts to transform Golurk into a sweeper; however, but Golurk is too slow to utilize it effectively. A SubPunch set is quite powerful, but Machamp and Heracross do it better,; moreover, using Substitute on a tank is counterproductive. A Choice Band set with Earthquake, Shadow Punch, Fire Punch, and Ice Punch or ThunderPunch, withand an EV spread of 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe, is also a possibility, and packs the power to OHKO or 2HKO the majority of the tier, but again, Golurk is too slow to pull it off effectively. DynamicPunch seems like a coolgood option asince Golurk has No Guard, but Machamp outclasses it at this role, courtesy of having STAB on DynamicPunch, and a higher Attack stat. Last but not least, Golurk has Stone Edge, which, while it does provide near perfect coverage with Earthquake, is generally outclassed by Ice Punch.</p>

[Checks and Counters]
<p>Dark-types, such as Scrafty, Weavile, and Krookodile, stand out as the best checks to Golurk. All three can hurt Golurk with their Dark-type STAB, while Weavile and Krookodile in particular can use Pursuit if the opponent predictsing Golurk to switch out. Bulky Water-types, such as Suicune and Swampert, are not 2HKOEDed by any of Golurk's attacks, and can retaliate with Scald or Waterfall. Roserade, Shaymin, and Virizion all threaten Golurk with their Grass-type STAB, but must be wary of an incoming Fire Punch&mdash;. and Roserade of an Earthquake as well. Gligar also walls most Golurk to no end, but if Golurkit has Ice Punch Gligar is in for trouble. Chandelure and Mismagius can outspeed Golurk and KO himit with Shadow Ball, but neither can switch in on Shadow Punch, or even Earthquake in Chandelure's case. Finally, Togekiss and Zapdos take little from any of Golurk's attacks, except Ice Punch or Stone Edge, and can use Air Slash and Hidden Power Ice, respectively, to hurt himdamage it significantly.</p>

[Overview]
<p>Golurk is one of the Pokemon which gained plenty of new toys in the transition to BW2. The addition of Stealth Rock and the elemental punches to its movepool only makes Golurk more diverse than it once was. It stands out from the rest of its fully-evolved Ghost-type brethren with a unique Ground / Ghost typing, bringing with it STAB Earthquake, as well as a titanic base 124 Attack. A great ability in Iron Fist complements its decent physical movepool, boosting a number of its moves including Shadow Punch and Fire Punch. These qualities allow Golurk to hit like a truck while also having moderate utility in Stealth Rock and spinblocking. Its typing also provides many neat resistances, allowing it to take on the likes of Heracross and Mienshao with ease.</p>

<p>Unfortunately, like any other Pokemon, Golurk does suffer from quite a few drawbacks that hold it back. The biggest problem with Golurk is its poor base 55 Speed. Its bulk, while good, is not great, meaning a couple of hits can take it down relatively easily; this is compunded by its lack of reliable recovery. A myriad of weaknesses to common attacking types, such as Water, Grass, and Dark, limits its ability to survive on the battlefield.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>This is Golurk's best and only viable set in UU. Thanks to decent 89 / 80 / 80 bulk, great resistances to Bug- , Rock-, and Poison-type attacks, as well as immunities to Normal-, Fighting-, and Electric-type onslaughts, Golurk can hold its own defensively, despite being so slow. Golurk's own 124 base Attack ensures it is not a sitting duck either, and completes its role as an offensive tank.</p>

<p>Stealth Rock is the main move of this set, providing invaluable team support by limiting the opponent’s switch-ins. Golurk is particularly good at setting it up, as not only do its resistances give it ample opportunities to do so, but its Ghost typing allows also it to spinblock, keeping Stealth Rock in the field. Earthquake is the obvious Ground-type STAB move of choice. Fire Punch is the needed coverage move; it complements Earthquake by hitting Grass-types, Heracross, and Bronzong super effectively, all of which resist or are immune to Earthquake. Shadow Punch is the second STAB move; it 2HKOes Slowbro, while also hitting Azelf and Mismagius for serious damage on the switch-in.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>The EV spread invests maximum HP and Attack to ensure Golurk can be a solid tank, providing much needed bulk and firepower. The remaining 4 EVs are invested into Special Defense to make sure that the odd Porygon2 does not obtain a Special Attack boost from Download. Leftovers is the preferred item here for its consistent recovery, which is needed for any tank. An Adamant nature is chosen here to provide the highest Attack stat attainable in order to KO certain targets. Alternatively, a more defensive EV spread of 252 HP / 72 Atk / 12 Def / 168 SpD is usable to make Golurk bulkier, but it generally needs all the Attack to be successful; for example, without max Attack, Golurk cannot KO Heracross with Fire Punch. Ice Punch and ThunderPunch are both decent options over Fire Punch to deal with Gligar and Suicune, respectively, but neither is too useful otherwise.</p>

<p>Life Orb is useful if you want more power; however, the loss of HP is really detrimental to Golurk’s role as a tank. Potential teammates for Golurk include Mienshao and Zapdos, as they can deal with Dark-types and Water-types, respectively. Crobat is also a decent choice to force out any Roserade, Shaymin, or Virizion that choose to switch in on Golurk.</p>

[Other Options]
<p>Golurk has quite a few other options in its movepool other than those listed above. Hammer Arm might seem like a good option because it is boosted by Iron Fist, but it has redundant coverage with Earthquake. Rock Polish is decent in that it attempts to transform Golurk into a sweeper; however, Golurk is too slow to utilize it effectively. A SubPunch set is powerful, but Machamp and Heracross do it better; moreover, using Substitute on a tank is counterproductive. A Choice Band set with Earthquake, Shadow Punch, Fire Punch, and Ice Punch or ThunderPunch, and an EV spread of 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe, is also a possibility, and packs the power to OHKO or 2HKO the majority of the tier, but again, Golurk is too slow to pull it off effectively. DynamicPunch seems like a good option as Golurk has No Guard, but Machamp outclasses it at this role, courtesy of having STAB on DynamicPunch and a higher Attack stat. Last but not least, Golurk has Stone Edge, which, while it does provide near perfect coverage with Earthquake, is generally outclassed by Ice Punch.</p>

[Checks and Counters]
<p>Dark-types, such as Scrafty, Weavile, and Krookodile, stand out as the best checks to Golurk. All three can hurt Golurk with their Dark-type STAB, while Weavile and Krookodile in particular can use Pursuit predicting Golurk to switch out. Bulky Water-types, such as Suicune and Swampert, are not 2HKOed by any of Golurk's attacks, and can retaliate with Scald or Waterfall. Roserade, Shaymin, and Virizion all threaten Golurk with their Grass-type STAB, but must be wary of an incoming Fire Punch. and Roserade of an Earthquake as well. Gligar also walls most Golurk to no end, but if it has Ice Punch Gligar is in for trouble. Chandelure and Mismagius can outspeed Golurk and KO it with Shadow Ball, but neither can switch in on Shadow Punch, or even Earthquake in Chandelure's case. Finally, Togekiss and Zapdos take little from any of Golurk's attacks, except Ice Punch or Stone Edge, and can use Air Slash and Hidden Power Ice, respectively, to damage it significantly.</p>

Working on top of Poppy's CP.

A big thing: you need to remain consistent with the gender you refer to the Pokemon as. You used mostly "he" and "him", but some "it" and "its" crept in. Unfortunately, Golurk is actually genderless and can't be a "he". Try to note that for other analyses.

[gp]1/2[/gp]

kokoloko

I took the liberty of implementing the above check into the OP.

I also removed that weird Specially Defensive EV spread from the analysis, because you never told us what it actually does besides "make Golurk bulkier"... and doesn't it just make more sense that--if you were to make it bulkier--you'd want Defense instead? I mean... you are supposed to be tanking physical hits, not special ones.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
I took the liberty of implementing the above check into the OP.

I also removed that weird Specially Defensive EV spread from the analysis, because you never told us what it actually does besides "make Golurk bulkier"... and doesn't it just make more sense that--if you were to make it bulkier--you'd want Defense instead? I mean... you are supposed to be tanking physical hits, not special ones.
...Sigh. I was going to implement that check, but oh well. Anyways, fine with removing alternate spread.

I'll keep note on gender cases for analyses. Anyways, next...

GP check. Good job on writing this!
Additions in Blue
Subtractions in Red
Comments in Purple

[Overview]

<p>Golurk is one of the Pokemon which that gained plenty of a lot of new toys in the transition to BW2. The addition of Stealth Rock and the elemental punches to its movepool only makes Golurk more diverse than it once was. It stands out from the rest of its fully-evolved Ghost-type brethren with a unique Ground / Ghost typing, bringing with it STAB Earthquake, (remove comma) as well as a titanic base 124 Attack. A great ability in Iron Fist complements its decent physical movepool, boosting a number of its moves including Shadow Punch and Fire Punch. These qualities allow Golurk to hit like a truck while also having moderate utility in Stealth Rock and spinblocking. Its typing also provides many neat resistances, allowing it to take on the likes of Heracross and Mienshao with ease.</p>

<p>Unfortunately, like any other Pokemon, Golurk does suffer from quite a few drawbacks that hold it back. The biggest problem with Golurk is its poor base 55 Speed. Additionally, its Its bulk, while good, is not great, meaning a couple of hits can take it down relatively easily; this is compunded compounded by its lack of reliable recovery. (remove period) A and its myriad of weaknesses to common attacking types, such as Water, Grass, and Dark, limits which limit its ability to survive on the battlefield.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This is Golurk's best and only viable set in UU. Thanks to decent 89 / 80 / 80 bulk, great resistances to Bug- , Rock-, and Poison-type attacks, as well as immunities to Normal-, Fighting-, and Electric-type onslaughts, Golurk can hold its own defensively, (remove comma) despite being so slow. Golurk's own 124 base Attack ensures it is not a sitting duck either, (remove comma) and completes allows/helps it (to) complete/fulfill its role as an offensive tank.</p>

<p>Stealth Rock is the main move of on this set, providing invaluable team support by limiting the opponent’s (change to straight apostrophe) switch-ins. Golurk is particularly good at setting it up, as not only do its resistances give it ample opportunities to do so, but its Ghost typing also allows also it to spinblock, keeping Stealth Rock in on the field. Earthquake is the obvious Ground-type STAB move of choice. Fire Punch is the needed coverage move; it complements Earthquake by hitting Grass-types, Heracross, and Bronzong super effectively, all of which resist or are immune to Earthquake. Shadow Punch is the second STAB move; it 2HKOes Slowbro, while also hitting Azelf and Mismagius for serious damage on the switch-in.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EV spread invests maximum invests as much as possible in / maximizes HP and Attack to ensure Golurk can be a solid tank, providing much needed bulk and firepower. The remaining 4 EVs are invested into Special Defense to make sure that the odd Porygon2 does not obtain a Special Attack boost from Download. Leftovers is the preferred item here for its consistent recovery, which is needed for any tank. An Adamant nature is chosen here to provide the highest Attack stat attainable in order to KO certain targets. Alternatively, a more defensive EV spread is usable to make Golurk bulkier, but it generally needs all the Attack possible to be successful; for example, without max Attack, Golurk cannot KO Heracross with Fire Punch. Ice Punch and ThunderPunch are both decent options over Fire Punch to deal with Gligar and Suicune, respectively, but neither is too useful otherwise.</p>

<p>Life Orb is useful usable if you want more power; however, the loss of HP is really detrimental to Golurk’s (change to straight apostrophe) role as a tank. Potential teammates for Golurk include Mienshao and Zapdos, as they can deal with Dark-types and Water-types, respectively. Crobat is also a decent choice to force out any Roserade, Shaymin, or Virizion that choose to switch in on Golurk.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Golurk has quite a few other options in its movepool other than those listed above. Hammer Arm might seem like a good option because it is boosted by Iron Fist, but it has redundant coverage with Earthquake. Rock Polish is decent in that it attempts a decent way to attempt to transform Golurk into a sweeper; however, Golurk is too slow to utilize it effectively. A SubPunch set is powerful, but Machamp and Heracross do it better; moreover, using Substitute on a tank is counterproductive. A Choice Band set with Earthquake, Shadow Punch, Fire Punch, and Ice Punch or ThunderPunch, (remove comma or remove the and before "Ice Punch or ThunderPunch") and an EV spread of 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe, is also a possibility, (remove comma) and packs the power to OHKO or 2HKO the majority of the tier, but again, Golurk is too slow to pull it off effectively. DynamicPunch seems like a good option as Golurk has No Guard, but Machamp outclasses it at this role, courtesy of having STAB on DynamicPunch and a higher Attack stat. Last but not least, Golurk has Stone Edge, (change to semicolon) which however, while it does provide near perfect coverage with Earthquake, it is generally outclassed by Ice Punch.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Dark-types, such as Scrafty, Weavile, and Krookodile, stand out as the best checks to Golurk. All three can hurt Golurk with their Dark-type STAB, while Weavile and Krookodile in particular can use Pursuit predicting Golurk to switch out. Bulky Water-types, such as Suicune and Swampert, are not 2HKOed by any of Golurk's attacks, (remove comma) and can retaliate with Scald or Waterfall. Roserade, Shaymin, and Virizion all threaten Golurk with their Grass-type STAB, but must be wary of an incoming Fire Punch. and Roserade of an Earthquake as well (fix this, it is currently a fragment). Gligar also walls most Golurk to no end, but if it has Ice Punch (add comma) Gligar is in for trouble. Chandelure and Mismagius can outspeed Golurk and KO it with Shadow Ball, but neither can switch in on Shadow Punch, or even Earthquake in Chandelure's case. Finally, Togekiss and Zapdos take little from any of Golurk's attacks, except Ice Punch or and Stone Edge, and can use Air Slash and Hidden Power Ice, respectively, to damage it significantly.</p>

[gp]2/2[/gp]

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
GP check. Good job on writing this!
Additions in Blue
Subtractions in Red
Comments in Purple

[Overview]

<p>Golurk is one of the Pokemon which that gained plenty of a lot of new toys in the transition to BW2. The addition of Stealth Rock and the elemental punches to its movepool only makes Golurk more diverse than it once was. It stands out from the rest of its fully-evolved Ghost-type brethren with a unique Ground / Ghost typing, bringing with it STAB Earthquake, (remove comma) as well as a titanic base 124 Attack. A great ability in Iron Fist complements its decent physical movepool, boosting a number of its moves including Shadow Punch and Fire Punch. These qualities allow Golurk to hit like a truck while also having moderate utility in Stealth Rock and spinblocking. Its typing also provides many neat resistances, allowing it to take on the likes of Heracross and Mienshao with ease.</p>

<p>Unfortunately, like any other Pokemon, Golurk does suffer from quite a few drawbacks that hold it back. The biggest problem with Golurk is its poor base 55 Speed. Additionally, its Its bulk, while good, is not great, meaning a couple of hits can take it down relatively easily; this is compunded compounded by its lack of reliable recovery. (remove period) A and its myriad of weaknesses to common attacking types, such as Water, Grass, and Dark, limits which limit its ability to survive on the battlefield.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This is Golurk's best and only viable set in UU. Thanks to decent 89 / 80 / 80 bulk, great resistances to Bug- , Rock-, and Poison-type attacks, as well as immunities to Normal-, Fighting-, and Electric-type onslaughts, Golurk can hold its own defensively, (remove comma) despite being so slow. Golurk's own 124 base Attack ensures it is not a sitting duck either, (remove comma) and completes allows/helps it (to) complete/fulfill its role as an offensive tank.</p>

<p>Stealth Rock is the main move of on this set, providing invaluable team support by limiting the opponent’s (change to straight apostrophe) switch-ins. Golurk is particularly good at setting it up, as not only do its resistances give it ample opportunities to do so, but its Ghost typing also allows also it to spinblock, keeping Stealth Rock in on the field. Earthquake is the obvious Ground-type STAB move of choice. Fire Punch is the needed coverage move; it complements Earthquake by hitting Grass-types, Heracross, and Bronzong super effectively, all of which resist or are immune to Earthquake. Shadow Punch is the second STAB move; it 2HKOes Slowbro, while also hitting Azelf and Mismagius for serious damage on the switch-in.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EV spread invests maximum invests as much as possible in / maximizes HP and Attack to ensure Golurk can be a solid tank, providing much needed bulk and firepower. The remaining 4 EVs are invested into Special Defense to make sure that the odd Porygon2 does not obtain a Special Attack boost from Download. Leftovers is the preferred item here for its consistent recovery, which is needed for any tank. An Adamant nature is chosen here to provide the highest Attack stat attainable in order to KO certain targets. Alternatively, a more defensive EV spread is usable to make Golurk bulkier, but it generally needs all the Attack possible to be successful; for example, without max Attack, Golurk cannot KO Heracross with Fire Punch. Ice Punch and ThunderPunch are both decent options over Fire Punch to deal with Gligar and Suicune, respectively, but neither is too useful otherwise.</p>

<p>Life Orb is useful usable if you want more power; however, the loss of HP is really detrimental to Golurk’s (change to straight apostrophe) role as a tank. Potential teammates for Golurk include Mienshao and Zapdos, as they can deal with Dark-types and Water-types, respectively. Crobat is also a decent choice to force out any Roserade, Shaymin, or Virizion that choose to switch in on Golurk.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Golurk has quite a few other options in its movepool other than those listed above. Hammer Arm might seem like a good option because it is boosted by Iron Fist, but it has redundant coverage with Earthquake. Rock Polish is decent in that it attempts a decent way to attempt to transform Golurk into a sweeper; however, Golurk is too slow to utilize it effectively. A SubPunch set is powerful, but Machamp and Heracross do it better; moreover, using Substitute on a tank is counterproductive. A Choice Band set with Earthquake, Shadow Punch, Fire Punch, and Ice Punch or ThunderPunch, (remove comma or remove the and before "Ice Punch or ThunderPunch") and an EV spread of 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe, is also a possibility, (remove comma) and packs the power to OHKO or 2HKO the majority of the tier, but again, Golurk is too slow to pull it off effectively. DynamicPunch seems like a good option as Golurk has No Guard, but Machamp outclasses it at this role, courtesy of having STAB on DynamicPunch and a higher Attack stat. Last but not least, Golurk has Stone Edge, (change to semicolon) which however, while it does provide near perfect coverage with Earthquake, it is generally outclassed by Ice Punch.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Dark-types, such as Scrafty, Weavile, and Krookodile, stand out as the best checks to Golurk. All three can hurt Golurk with their Dark-type STAB, while Weavile and Krookodile in particular can use Pursuit predicting Golurk to switch out. Bulky Water-types, such as Suicune and Swampert, are not 2HKOed by any of Golurk's attacks, (remove comma) and can retaliate with Scald or Waterfall. Roserade, Shaymin, and Virizion all threaten Golurk with their Grass-type STAB, but must be wary of an incoming Fire Punch. and Roserade of an Earthquake as well (fix this, it is currently a fragment). Gligar also walls most Golurk to no end, but if it has Ice Punch (add comma) Gligar is in for trouble. Chandelure and Mismagius can outspeed Golurk and KO it with Shadow Ball, but neither can switch in on Shadow Punch, or even Earthquake in Chandelure's case. Finally, Togekiss and Zapdos take little from any of Golurk's attacks, except Ice Punch or and Stone Edge, and can use Air Slash and Hidden Power Ice, respectively, to damage it significantly.</p>

[gp]2/2[/gp]
Implemented the check! It's done now!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)