Ask A Little Question, Get A Little Answer

Ray Jay

"Jump first, ask questions later, oui oui!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
would a mod mind posting an official thread for the lc uu challenge I've seen going around? I made a team 100% below 5% usage for August 2012, and it's pretty fun
This isn't an official challenge; in other words, it hasn't been instated by the LC moderation team and there is no reward. However, you are always more than welcome to try using uncommon Pokemon on the ladder for your own benefit~

This isn't an official challenge; in other words, it hasn't been instated by the LC moderation team and there is no reward. However, you are always more than welcome to try using uncommon Pokemon on the ladder for your own benefit~
Maybe it should be a challenge, I'm running a team made of 6 pokemon under 5% september usage, and it's very fun. I'm currently around the 1650 range in ps, don't think I've peaked yet though.

Basic training and introduction into LC metagame

Hi guys,
I'm new here and never been a competitive player (I used to play as a casual till 2002). Now, the question: I am interested in Battling 101 program, but I'm conscious of my extreme inexperience, so I wonder if is possible for someone here to introduce me on this side of the moon, giving me some general basis and at least a sort of smattering in LC metagame (that is the one I feel more suitable for "my style").
I'm asking this to begin a small practice before of subscribing to Battle 101, and, with a sort of senpai, I think this practice will be more productive and more useful to make me to be accepted in Battle 101 program.
Thank you for giving attention

(forgive possible errors, I'm not anglophone)

The only Pokemon that can learn Recycle that have gluttony are Pansear -pour -sage. All three of which are so frail that they can be 2hko'd by most neutral hits from a halfway decent attacker, let alone a STAB or SE attack

And Munchlax which is the best user of this strategy if you choose to try it out. I feel like it could work but you are still vulnerable to strong Fighting STAB attacks which will almost always force you out

In any case, Gluttony works only with pinch berries as Oran Berry is already consumed at 50% health.

Recycle + Oran Berry is a strategy that few pokemons can perform because most defensive pokemon already have a reliable recovering move (Recover or Slack Off in most cases as this is mostly learned by Psychic-types such as Slowpoke or Elgyem), as such, they are better having Eviolite + Recovering move. The only possible users of said strategy are Bronzor (who already has a set for it) or Munchlax, but he would rather use Rest to get rid of Toxic. Perhaps Baltoy? But Baltoy isn't a good Poke to begin with...

EDIT: Sort of Ninja'd

Ray Jay

"Jump first, ask questions later, oui oui!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, I agree that OranCycle Bronzor is the only Pokemon that can do the job; the reason is because it's immune to Toxic; OranCycle Munchlax essentially loses to offensive teams (who pack Fighting-types) and defensive teams (who pack a lot of Toxic).

Celestavian

Smooth
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Since they are not level dependent, all the pinch berries legal in OU are legal here. Right now I think that the only illegal pinch berries are the event berries, minus Salac Berry.

I have never seen a Salac Berry in LC ever, so I don't really have any ideas on what it could be viable. Salac Berry is primarily used on very powerful Pokemon who have no other way to boost their Speed stat, such as SubSalac Garchomp in OU. It isn't as widespread in LC because using it forces you to not use Eviolite, which heavily compromises your bulk.

Vulpix

Ok I understand why Vulpix is banned, It's because of drought, an over powered ability for LC, I get that, but then I see that the ability of Moody is banned, and not bidoof, and now i'm confused, Why not just ban the ability drought, and not vulpix as a whole, yes vulpix is just worse ponyta but I don't care, if vulpix is my favorite pokemon, and it is since gen 1, why can I not use a flash fire vulpix? because it "Could" have drought? by that logic, why not ban all of the Moody pokemon and not the ability it self? I don't understand why.

Moody is a universal ban; it covers ever single official tier (barring Hackmon tiers). Vulpix is an LC-specific ban, and Bidoof is so horrible that it's not even worthy of being in NFE.

Moody is a universal ban; it covers ever single official tier (barring Hackmon tiers). Vulpix is an LC-specific ban, and Bidoof is so horrible that it's not even worthy of being in NFE.
I understand what you mean, but LC seemed to have it's own rules set in place and the bans and clauses page points out that this cup has it's own rules. This topped with the fact the ability was voted on separately from the other tiers means that the Universal ban concept doesn't really apply, though I do understand what you mean. I still think if your going to ban 1 ability, why not ban more then that over banning the pokemon out right. I'm just saying a little consistency would be nice, I saw that Vader closed another thread which asked if you could just ban drought and Chlorophyll on the same team, he replied they would not be adding "Complex Rulings" to LC, that's fine, but since this is something that has ALREADY been done, I don't see why it can't be repeated. I see LC as a way to use my favorite little pokemon, and yet my personal favorite is banned out right, and this saddens me.

You pretty much just answered your own question there: LC has it's own rules, and whatever gets banned gets banned, be it the one ability or the whole Pokemon. Vulpix probably had sky-high usage when it was unbanned and it might have actually been pretty good (it can hit 17 Speed or 17 Sp. Def with correct investment). Meanwhile, Bidoof is just... not even worthy of being considered.

Bans in LC are used for things that are too gamebreaking. Ex: Speed Boost Carvanha, which literally could 6-0 teams on its own after one boost. Bidoof could never do that if it wanted to.

You pretty much just answered your own question there: LC has it's own rules, and whatever gets banned gets banned, be it the one ability or the whole Pokemon. Vulpix probably had sky-high usage when it was unbanned and it might have actually been pretty good (it can hit 17 Speed or 17 Sp. Def with correct investment). Meanwhile, Bidoof is just... not even worthy of being considered.

Bans in LC are used for things that are too gamebreaking. Ex: Speed Boost Carvanha, which literally could 6-0 teams on its own after one boost. Bidoof could never do that if it wanted to.
I also stated that I wanted consistency, and banning one pokemon for it's ability and banning another pokemon's ability but not the pokemon is inconsistent. Vulpix is far from top of it's game in LC when it's trumped by ponyta in every way, are you sure that if I brought a Flash Fire vulpix to a LC torny you would scream over powered?

EDIT: I also think I read a post from Vader himself that he doesn't care for "Banning" pokemon, this would be a way to keep from banning a pokemon wile still keeping it fair.

As a general rule, Pokemon are banned as a whole rather than banning individual aspects of them. If we were to take that route, it could potentially lead to problems like "Only SD sets of Scyther are broken, so we ban Swords Dance!" (not the best example but you get the point). Barring exceptional circumstances, we can't "nerf" Pokemon that should be banned for the sake of "diversity."

Vulpix is banned because it imbalances the metagame. Moody is not banned under the same logic as Vulpix, instead it is banned for the same reason we ban evasion moves, brightpowder, etc: It introduces a significant luck factor to the game, regardless of what Pokemon it's on. The two cases are incomparable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)