It Will Rain - RU Collab Challenge!

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Asterat, those are the conditions to complete the first ladder challenge. You also need to register your fresh alt here if you want to participate.

Thanks for your enthusiasm, Yonko7 & Butterfree - I am much grateful!

Dusknoir virtually did nothing, though
He helped keep Sleep Clause intact, and tanked an attack from Kabutops decently. I played him somewhat poorly that game, or else he'd have done quite a bit more. You're right, though. He in the end didn't do all that much; what he did, though, was still generally helpful.

Yonko7

Guns make you stupid. Duct tape makes you smart.
is a Contributor Alumnus

HP: 105 / Atk: 85 / Def: 75 / SpA: 85 / SpD: 75 / Spe: 74

Seismitoad @ Damp Rock
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 32 HP / 252 SpA / 224 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rain Dance
- Hydro Pump
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock

Classification: Supporter

Description: Seismitoad is a unique Swift Swimmer, with an immunity to Electric-type attacks and access to Stealth Rock. Rain Dance teams typically have trouble fitting a Stealth Rock user onto the team, without putting the synergy in jeopardy; however, with Seismitoad it can support the team and sweep. With its unique typing, Seimitoad can freely switch in on Electric-type moves aimed at its Swift Swim partners, and then proceed to set up Stealth Rock; once done supporting the team, Seismitoad can blast the opposition with boosted Hydro Pump. Additionally, Seismitoad can help keep rain up with Rain Dance, further boosting its and the team's Speed for an extra 8 turns. Earth Power is for a secondary STAB choice and to hit the various Grass / Poison types neutrally, so Seismitoad can at least deal some damage.

Seismitoad is in a unique Speed tier, just beating losing to base 75s, but beating base 70s, such as Ludicolo. The given EVs serve to outspeed max Speed Ludicolo, so Seismitoad can at least set up Stealth Rock before it attacks. Also, 252 Special Attacks ensures that Seismitoad isn't a sitting duck after it has done its job.

Shortcomings: With such a blessed typing comes with a curse, Grass-type attacks are the bane of Seismitoad. Secondly, Grass-type Pokemon in general will be able to take a boosted Hydro Pump and retaliate with a Grass-type attack, which will certainly OHKO. The replacement of Life Orb with Damp Rock means that Seismitoad will not hit as hard, which means that it will have difficulty gaining KOs that could have gotten previously. Ferroseed, for example, can take hits like a champion and strike back with a STAB Grass-type attack, or set up on Seismitoad. Additionally, opposing bulky Water-types can handle Seismitoad's attacks. Slowking takes paltry damage from both STABs and can slowly wear Seismitoad down; Slack Off is also available to recover any damage taken.

Ludicolo is a good partner as it can take out opposing Grass-type Pokemon with Ice Beam and Water-types with STAB Grass-type attack, additionally it is hit neutrally by Grass-type attacks so it can switch in on them-if needed. Pairing Seismitoad with a powerful wallbreaker is useful to break down walls that wall it. Kabutops can attack with boosted Waterfalls and Stone Edges and weaken the opposing team. Nidoqueen is an interesting option as it can 2KO the majority of RU with the right prediction. Ironically, Moltres is a unique partner. In the rain, Hurricane has perfect accuracy, so Moltres can switch in on a predicted Grass-type attack and wreak havoc with powerful STAB Hurricanes.

Other Options: If there is already a Stealth Rock user on the team, then Sludge Wave can be used, as then it will hit pure Grass-types harder than anything else. Note though, that Earth Power hits Grass / Poison types harder than Sludge Wave. In a similar vain, Sludge Bomb can be used for its 30% poison chance, which is beneficial to Rain Teams as walls like Slowking are extremely hard to wear down. If the power of Hydro Pump isn't needed, then Surf can be used, although the decrease in power is noticeable.

Also I see a typo Other useful rain Suppoerters ^^

Pocket

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Excellent contribution from Yonko7! Thank you for this entry, I will update the OP :D

I'm gonna fix the OO, though. Don't mention removing SR, because then it wont be the support set anymore. A separate set entry for the sweeper set would cover that.

Pocket

Oh yea, and please provide battle replays! I'm a huge sucker for replays! A picture speaks 1000 words, and a battle replay serves just that!

I will see if I can award people for supplying good battle replays.

TROP

BAN DRUDDIGON. FIREWALL DRAGON DID NOTHING WRONG
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I'm surprise these guys haven't been posted yet, reserving Ludicolo.

Pocket

As far as reservation goes, you can reserve 1 set up to 2 days. If the sets aren't written up by then, they're up for grabs. The last thing I want is people to reserve sets and not come back to it for 3 weeks.

Pocket

Thanks for the replays, Yonko7 & /B/utterfree, but you guys faced shitty players - I'd like these replays to capture battles with competent players.

/B/utterfree, your Seismitoad's analysis is almost complete! Checks and Counters is also a section to offer solutions to Seismitoad's problems, so please provide some strategy or teammates that can deal with special walls like Slowking, Amoonguss, Ferroseed, and even Munchlax xd

Also remove the paragraph on Seismitoad needing Rain Dance setters on the Set Explanation, since that's already implied.

Also Best Poster of the Week award goes to Yonko7 for providing constructive criticisms to /B/utterfree's set entries! Thank you for your contribution!

Pocket

woo, Yonko7, racking points! I am happy that the challenge has been completed by at least 1 challenger! There is still 1 more week to complete the challenge, so keep on chugging on!

As for Yonko7, I'd love to hear your reflections on playing RU games with a Rain team. Was it harder to play a Rain team than a normal RU team? What Pokemon worked surprisingly well in Rain teams? What Pokemon disappointed you? What were the toughest threats to your team?

Yonko7

is a Contributor Alumnus

Escavalier @ Damp Rock
Trait: Swarm
EVs: 8 Atk / 248 HP / 252 SDef
Careful Nature
- Rain Dance
- Megahorn
- Iron Head
- Knock Off

Rotom @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spd / 4 HP / 252 Def
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Trick

Seismitoad (M) @ Damp Rock
EVs: 32 HP / 224 Spd / 252 SAtk
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rain Dance
- Surf
- Earth Power

Ludicolo (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Modest Nature
- Surf
- Giga Drain
- Ice Beam
- Rain Dance

Jynx (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 Spd / 248 SAtk / 8 HP
Timid Nature
- Lovely Kiss
- Ice Beam
- Nasty Plot
- Substitute

Kabutops (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Swords Dance
- Waterfall
- Rock Slide

I'll try to not make this like a RMT, so I won't be going too in depth as to the why's of each Pokemon.

In general, it is tougher to play with a pure Rain Dance team, than a regular balanced or offensive team, because your momentum is on a timer. Also, the surprise value is sometimes lost as the opponent can see that I have a Kabutops, Seismitoad, and a Ludicolo, which sorta screams "Rain Dance". Additionally, the teammates for each Pokemon have to be able to function in and out of rain as is the case for Escavalier, Rotom, and Jynx. A regular "weather-less" team has multiple backups in case one of the star sweepers goes out of commission, which is not the case for Rain Dance teams. In my case, I always had to make sure that Ludicolo and Kabutops were around to sweep the team, as they were my powerhouses. The number one thing about Rain teams --or weather teams in general-- is that it has to be carefully built, and has to have a backup plan in case weather disappears. Otherwise, weather archetypes are very dangerous and can apply tremendous amounts of offensive pressure on the opponent!

There were a few Pokemon that surprised me by their performance.

First and foremost, Escavalier was definitely a surprise. I wanted to use him as a "pseudo-Scizor", similar to OU, with his 4x Fire-type weakness going down to 2x Fire weakness. Also, I wanted to capitalize on Escavalier's typing and bulk, which worked very well! Rain Dance + Damp Rock ensures that I can use a free turn to set up 8 turns of Rain, which is just enough to tear the opposing team to pieces. Megahorn and Iron Head were STABs if needed, as Escavalier is also a last ditch rain check if healthy. He also kept rouge Psychic-types in check, such as Mesprit. Knock Off is just there for utility and nothing feels better than knocking off an Evolite! The amount of special bulk on this behemoth shouldn't be underestimated. It survived a Fire Blast from (Leftovers) Moltres in the rain, which is really handy. Lastly, he also checked Jynx, which is irritating to Rain teams, as Dry Skin heals it and it is immune to Water-type attacks.

Second, Jynx was a late addition replacing Moltres. Jynx is a wonderful Pokemon in general, a +2 Ice Beam does more than 50% to Slowking! The best part is Lovely Kiss, when it actually hits. The combination of Substitute and Dry Skin ensures that Jynx stays around for a long time. One thing that surprised me was at the number of people that used a Water-type attack on Jynx, only to heal her. I did the same thing when I first faced her ^.^ Her natural Speed is great for when the rain expires and I need something to hit fast and hard.

I was a bit disappointed at how Rotom performed. I needed speedy backbone, should I be facing a set-up sweeper. The power from Thunder was nice, but was not too much to be excited about. The biggest help might have been Trick, which allowed me to cripple Sigliyph, which is a major threat to this team as it can boost all day.

A few threats were: Moltres, Ferroseed, and Sigliyph.

Moltres ironically causes a ton of trouble, if rain isn't up, and even then if it comes in safely it can predict and hit me hard. The variant that is most troublesome a one where Leftovers is used over Life Orb, as then it can't be worn down over time; also constantly pressures me with Hurricane, and Hidden Power Grass.

Ferroseed is a major pain, as nothing hits it hard. It takes forever to wear down, and in the meantime can set up multiple hazards. I usually try to Trick with Rotom; Knock Off Evolite with Escavalier, or get Jynx in safely and use Lonely Kiss or Substitute. Otherwise, a well played Ferroseed will cause endless grief.

Sigilyph if left unchecked will steamroll me over. With multiple boosts from Cosmic Power it will be invincible; before that I try to Trick Choice Scarf onto it, so it becomes crippled.

In the end, Rain Teams will have their difficulties and shortcomings, but if these can be circumvented or reduced, then you will be pleasantly surprised at how fast it can tear the opposing team down.

Volbeat (M) @ Damp Rock
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SDef / 252 Def
Bold Nature
- Rain Dance
- Tail Glow
- Baton Pass
- Encore

Base Stats- 65 HP, 73 Atk, 55 Def, 47 SpA, 75 SpDef, 85 Spe

Classification: Supporter

Description: Volbeat may not look like much on the surface... until you see it's ability. Prankster is one of the very best abilities a supporter can have, especially a weather supporter. Volbeat is also good at Baton Passing. Because of Prankster, Volbeat's Baton Pass will go before any other normal move. Same goes for Tail Glow, it's boosting move of choice. Passing +3 to something like Ludicolo can swiftly end a game. The final move on Volbeat is Encore. If you're up against an SR lead who sees Volbeat as Setup Fodder, lock him into Rocks! This will give you a perfect setup chance for a great sweep. Even if they are faster than you, you've got Prankster! Locking them into an ineffective move is a great way to set up a sweep.

Shortcomings: Take a look at them stats. Absolutely NOTHING jumps out immediately, as all of its stats are mediocre. Also, Volbeat uses No Attacking Moves. This generally isn't a bad thing, but if the opponent sets up Spikes, then Volbeat can do nothing to stop this. Also, in general, the Bug type isn't that good. Weak to Rock, Flying and Fire. Not exactly a phenomenal typing. Also, a SR weakness doesn't do it favours. Especially for a supporter that is important to a team. Faster priority is also a big problem. Feraligatr's Aqua Jet and Kabutops' Aqua Jet in particular are dangerous as they will likely be rain-boosted, which means they'll do even more damage.

Other Options: Volbeat has few other options. Rain Dance, Baton Pass, and Encore are musts. The fourth moveslot can be swapped for Substitute to allow for a safer Baton Pass, but if you are certain the switch-in can live, Tail Glow is superior. The natures and EV spread are standard for a supporter- Max HP and Maxed out Defense with a Bold nature. This is fine, don't tinker with it.

Volbeat is the VolBEST! (Sorry, had to do that.)

Pocket

Thanks, Phazon00 for your set entry! Please add Volbeat's base stat distribution as shown here.

I'd elaborate more on the utility of Encore. What makes Prankster Encore so invaluable is because it makes dangerous threats into set-up bait. One of my favorite move is to bring in Volbeat on Hitmonlee's telegraphed Fake Out, so I can lock Hitmonlee into that move, wasting its Unburden and allowing Volbeat to set up. Encore can also lock Lilligant to QD or HP Rock, allowing physical Rain Sweepers like SD Kabutops and Belly Drum Poliwrath to set up. Locking mons like Clefable or Moltres into Softboiled or Roost can also offer easy set-up opportunities.

You also haven't stressed enough the significance of Prankster Rain Dance. Having that +1 Rain Dance is invaluable for offensive Rain teams, allowing Volbeat to guarantee that 8-turn rain even at low health. Prankster is what makes Volbeat the fastest Rain summoner out there.

I have to argue that Substitute is more useful, since Rain abusers are already put on a timer due to Life Orb, and wants to preserve its health. Substitute Passing brings in these potent sweepers unscathed.

As for Volbeat's shortcomings, warn readers about faster priority. SD Feraligatr, SD Kabutops's Aqua Jet as well as CB Entei's ExtremeSpeed comes to mind. Finally, Volbeat is major Taunt bait, so tell readers to avoid Taunters that aren't locked into a diff move by Encore yet.

Also some changes - for the ladder challenge, you must have a min. 1800 ACRE to complete the challenge. Sorry, Yonko7, but you need to ladder a bit more - you got this!

THIS POST WWILL BE RESERVVED FOR REPLAYS ARCHIVVING MY RAIN TEAM'S SUCCESS:

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ru2971196
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ru2971940
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ru2972134
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ru2972951

ONE MORE THING! x1: I wwill be doing a lot of battles, but not all of them wwill become replays. If I'm endlessly curbstomping someone 6-0, that wwill not be a replay. Likewwise, if I'm getting 6-0'd myself, that's also not gonna be a replay. The battle has to be evvenly matched in order for me to post it.

Pocket

After some revisions, I added /B/utterfree's Seismitoad set! Thanks for your contribution, /B/utterfree :)

I can't use those replays, because there were some questionable plays from both sides, and that Dusknoir seriously needs to go, lol. It's SubPunching moveset is counter-intuitive to the whole purpose of a Rain Dance setter, which is to set up Rain and quickly, yet safely, bring in Rain abusers to take advantage of the limited downpour. You literally just slapped Rain Dance and Damp Rock onto a SubPunch set.

After some revisions, I added /B/utterfree's Seismitoad set! Thanks for your contribution, /B/utterfree :)

I can't use those replays, because there were some questionable plays from both sides, and that Dusknoir seriously needs to go, lol. It's SubPunching moveset is counter-intuitive to the whole purpose of a Rain Dance setter, which is to set up Rain and quickly, yet safely, bring in Rain abusers to take advantage of the limited downpour. You literally just slapped Rain Dance and Damp Rock onto a SubPunch set.
I'll fix it back to Memento, then. I thought Focus Punch would be better since it makes Dusknoir not Taunt bait.

At any rate, I plan on more replays, and I will keep in mind that I have to post more sets to continue my trek through RU. Also, I'm keeping higher standards for these next replays in accordance with your requests.

EDIT: Huh, looks like my post either fixed itself or Pocket reverted it back to an earlier time frame. Either way, I do not mind. Of course, I will probably make more sets. I was just thinking of a nice anti-Rain threat...

Pocket

Lol, I don't have mod powers here, /B/utterfree ;o

Also, major props to Yonko7, for his big reflection upon his laddering experience with a hard-core Rain Team >:D. That specially-defensive Escavalier rain summoner is a cool discovery, Yonko; Knock Off is certainly a nice option, although Sleep Talk may prove handy to deal with Lilligant more effectively. I'm particularly intrigued by your choice in Dry Skin LO Jynx as your Rain Abuser! Does it successfully set up on Slowking or Lanturn? Because if that's the case, we have a Pokemon that can exploit conventional Rain checks!

It's no surprise to me that Rotom was a failure in your team. I see a lot of mileage trying out a different Electric-type, such as mixed Electivire with Thunder or Manectric, since they have more versatility in wallbreaking capabilities. Alternatively, you may add another Rain Inducer, so that Ludicolo can have a free slot for Hydro Pump or Focus Blast. I suggest Volbeat, because it foils opponent's set up opportunities, while it guarantees Rain, thanks to Prankster Rain Dance - it really patches a lot of coverage issues of offensive Rain teams. Alternatively, you may even add another Swift Swimmer like Qwilfish or Gorebyss for more rain slaughter!

Finally, I can certainly agree with 2 of the Pokemon that you posted as threats - Cosmic Power Sigilyph and Ferroseed. The latter Pokemon is the main reason why I always have a Rain Abuser with a Fighting move to quickly weaken Ferroseed. Volbeat is actually nice for dealing with Sigilyph, since it can Encore either Cosmic Power or Roost, which would allow Kabutops to set up SD. I never had a problem with Moltres, though, and I doubt you'll have problems with it either if your Rain Inducers were not weak to Moltres x_x

Thanks for spicing up this thread with your priceless experience, Yonko7 - it was a good reminder that this thread is not only here for building a guide, but to also share our rainy days at the RU Ladder, lol. I hope any of my suggestions here would help you conquer the ladder again :)

Yonko7

is a Contributor Alumnus

HP: 70 / Atk: 135 / Def: 105 / SpA: 60 / SpD: 105 / Spe: 20

Escavalier @ Damp Rock
Trait: Swarm
EVs: 8 Atk / 248 HP / 252 SDef
Careful Nature
- Rain Dance
- Megahorn
- Iron Head
- Sleep Talk

Classification: Rain Summoner

At first sight Escavalier doesn't seem like a useful rain supporter, but when you analyze Escavalier's typing and movepool it has a helpful niche, which benefits rain teams in general. 70 / 105 / 105 bulk shouldn't be underestimated, especially when its only weakness is reduced in strength in rain. A base 135 Attack is the icing on the cake, as it can dent the majority of RU with Megahorn or Iron Head. With Rain Dance + Damp Rock, Escavalier can set up 8 turns of Rain, weakening Fire-type attacks and also going from a 4x weakness to 2x. As a result, Escavalier can live attacks that it originally wouldn't, such as Fire Blast from Leftovers Moltres, and Fire Blast from Nidoqueen. Additionally, courtesy of its typing it can switch into Grass-type attacks with immunity, which Rain teams have a trouble with, and to makes matters better no Fire attack with OHKO if rain is in effect. Sleep Talk is a utility move because most Rain teams lack an answer to sleep inducing attacks, so then Escavalier won't be dead weight after going to sleep.

In general, Escavalier should come in on a predicted Grass-type attack, and afterwards set up Rain Dance. The various Psychic-types such as Uxie, Mesprit, and Jynx are also excellent Pokemon to switch into, as their STABs will deal paltry damage to Escavalier. Jynx is a pain for rain teams to take down as her Dry Skin ability grants her an immunity to Water-type attacks, and heals her 12% every turn. This set should be used when their is a weakness to general Grass-types when Rain is done, because it can tank their attacks with such resilience! If worst comes to worst, Escavalier can take on a Pokemon with a Fire STAB, but should only be done as a last resort, and if possible in the rain.

Shortcomings: The biggest drawback is Escavalier's Speed; a paltry base 20, which means that everything will outspeed it. Second, is the barren movepool, which doesn't Escavalier too many other options than the ones listed. The defensive walls of the tier: Steelix, Rotom, and Poliwrath, as all three resist Escavalier's STABs. Also, after Rain is set-up, then Escavalier can't really take advantage of rain other than its Fire-type weakness. All of the Pokemon that can take Escavalier's attacks are susceptible to other Swift Swimmers, such as Ludicolo, Seismitoad, and Kabutops. Ludicolo can outspeed all three and wreak havoc with its STAB attacks. Seismitoad can also set up Rain and lay down Stealth Rock to punish the Fire-types that will switch into Escavalier. Seismitoad is another great partner because of its Grass-type weakness and ability to take down Fire-type Pokemon. Finally, the lack of recovery is biggest downfall for our Cavalry Pokemon, as the constant residual damage will quickly wear it down.

Other Options: Escavalier can utilize the RestTalk strategy to stay healed, but with the new sleep mechanics Escavalier won't have enough time to wake up again, which is compounded with Sleep Talk's unreliability. If a sleep absorber is not needed, then Knock Off is an option to provide general utility such as ridding of Evolite, Life Orbs, or Leftovers. If the accuracy of Megahorn is of concern then X-Scissor is a viable option especially because this set isn't meant to break down walls.

EDIT:
I'm particularly intrigued by your choice in Dry Skin LO Jynx as your Rain Abuser! Does it successfully set up on Slowking or Lanturn? Because if that's the case, we have a Pokemon that can exploit conventional Rain checks!
Jynx can set up on them if Slowking doesn't have Fire Blast, as Scald just heals her and Psychic / Psyshock does poo-damage, whereas an Ice Beam will cleanly 2KO. Also, if Jynx can avoid a Thunder Wave, can set up all over Lanturn. ^.^

Pocket

Jynx can set up on them if Slowking doesn't have Fire Blast, as Scald just heals her and Psychic / Psyshock does poo-damage, whereas an Ice Beam will cleanly 2KO. Also, if Jynx can avoid a Thunder Wave, can set up all over Lanturn. ^.^
Lol, that's sexy >:D

I added your Escavalier entry and /B/utterfree's Volbeat's entry. Yonko7 receives credit on the latter for helping /B/utterfree out significantly. Big thank yous, Yonko7 and /B/utterfree, for your contributions thus far!

I have personally tested, Volbeat, but not Escavalier. If anyone else has more input on Escavalier as a Rain Summoner, whether it be its EV spreads, moves, qualities, or flaws, I'm all ears!

Also I completed the first ladder challenge >:)

I used the same team and alt as Research Week. I basically tested Basculin on my Rain team to complete both challenges, and the fish didn't disappoint! It sports a Waterfall / Aqua Jet slightly stronger than Kabutops, while sporting a Speed higher than Sigilyph! With Rain support, its Adaptability STAB does major damage. Basculin ultimately took the mixed route with LO & Ice Beam to serve as an efficient wallbreaker for my team, scoring 2HKOs on Tangrowth & Slowking with Ice Beam & Crunch, respectively.

Another Pokemon that really pulled its weight was Nidoqueen. It supplied this team the much needed defense against fast Electric-types, namely Galvantula. It also provided reliable SR. Most importantly, however, it chewed up defensive cores that were problematic to my team, namely Slowking, Tangrowth, Poliwrath, Lanturn, and Qwilfish. All of these mons are severely crippled by one of Thunder, Sludge Wave, or Earth Power ;d

Challengers still have the entire day today and the end of tomorrow to complete this ladder challenge, so don't give up!

Pocket

The end of this week marks the beginning of the 2nd Ladder Challenge! Basically, same as last time - achieve top 5 & min 1800 ACRE with a Rain Team! However, Kabutops & Ludicolo are prohibited! So no easy rain mode >:| It's a good chance to explore some other under-appreciated Rain sweepers. Just like the last challenge, you have 2 weeks to complete it to earn 3 pts!

Also, the best poster of the Week goes yet again goes to Yonko7 for his amazing inputhttp://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4432832&postcount=40 on his laddering experience with his rain team! Thanks so much, bro ;)

Signing up challenge 2 as Seafoam Islands

That DAMN Fourth Rain Set I Promised:
Beartic

HP: 95 / Atk: 105 / Def: 80 / Sp. Atk: 70 / Sp. Def: 80 / Speed: 50

Beartic @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Night Slash
- Aqua Jet
- Superpower

Classification: Rain Support, Swift Swim Sweeper

Description:
With Snow Cloak now banned in the lower tiers, B2W2 allows Beartic to exclusively use his inherently superior Dream World ability, Swift Swim. Unlike a majority of other Swift Swimmers, he is not type-redundant with other Water-type Pokemon one might want to use alongside Beartic in Rain-themed teams. Beartic's 95/80/80 bulk is decent, compared to Kabutops' 60/105/70 defenses. Despite the base 50 Speed, he has priority in Aqua Jet which hits hard. As Beartic is primarily slower than a majority of other Swift Swimmers, he should often be used alongside these Swift Swimmers as a pseudo-wallbreaker; ideally, he is a good partner for Ludicolo and Seismitoad among others.

Icicle Crash is the preferred STAB, as the chance of flinch is strongly desired along with the power of the move. Furthermore, Icicle Crash hits Grass-types super-effectively, and there are going to be plenty of Grass-types trying to impede the progress of other SwiftSwimmers. Superpower allows Beartic to hit Steels who otherwise would wall him hard, as well as Clefable. Beartic also uses Night Slash as it is a powerful move with a high critical hit chance, and the move allows it to get past Slowking. Beartic's physical coverage is supremely good overall. However, the main strategy is to come in after Rain is already set up by someone else. Then you start sweeping with Beartic. As Beartic is primarily slower than a majority of other Swift Swimmers, he should often be used alongside these Swift Swimmers as a pseudo-wallbreaker; ideally, he is a good partner for Ludicolo and Seismitoad among others.

Shortcomings: Despite the really good coverage, Beartic will have trouble trying to get past Poliwrath and Qwilfish, among other Bulky Waters who simply can switch into a move that doesn't hit effectively. Usually, such Pokemon tend to be weaker on the Special side, so a Special Attacker such as Rotom-C, Moltres, or Gardevoir will be able to dispose of these threats.

Most other Swift Swimmers, such as Kabutops and Ludicolo, can outspeed either in the Rain or otherwise and demolish Beartic with powerful attacks. However, Beartic can massacre Kabutops on the switch with Superpower if it predicts a switch-in to him to be obvious. As Beartic will also ideally be used alongside faster Swift Swimmers, guys like Omastar, Ludicolo, Seismitoad, and Flotzel, these partners will be able to compliment him in his sweeps.

Stealth Rock takes a chunk of Beartic's HP every time it switches in, so removing it would be advised to make the Ice-type's life a little easier. Thankfully, Kabutops, Cryogonal, Hitmonlee, and Armaldo all synergize with Beartic and can Rapid Spin. Armaldo and Kabutops also benefit from the same Swift Swim that Beartic is dependent upon.

And then there's the last off-putting thing about Beartic, which is its neutrality to Water-type attacks that are boosted in the Rain. A Pokemon with Dry Skin, such as Jynx or Parasect, or a Water Absorb Pokemon, such as Poliwrath, Lapras, or Cacturne also helps cover these Water-type attacks easily.

Other Options: If Night Slash is not desired, one can use Stone Edge to hit Flying-types a lot harder, such as Moltres, Scyther, and Sigilyph. If one dislikes the Life Orb recoil, one can alternately use a Choice Band to hit harder. However, being locked into a move might not always be favorable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)