My First OU RMT

Hey guys, this is my first RMT and I would be grateful if you people could rate it and perhaps suggest improvements. My team was built at 'random' so to speak with no particular strategy in mind, however I have found this team to lead me to some success whereas previous teams have failed.

At a Glance

Infernape @Life Orb
Ability:
Blaze
EVs: 252 spA / 252 spe / 4 HP
Naive Nature
-Nasty Plot
-Fire Blast
-Close Combat
-Grass Knot

The main purpose of Infernape is to come in as the lead and basically set up one or two nasty plots and attempt to sweep as many pokemon as possible. Fire Blast is for powerful STAB whilst Grass Knot helps to deal with water types. Close Combat is used here to break special walls.

Scizor @Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
-Bullet Punch
-U-Turn
-Superpower
-Pursuit

Standard choice band set for Scizor here. The purpose of Scizor was to bring a physical threat to other teams through revenge killing.

Gliscor @Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spe
Impish Nature
-Substitute
-Protect
-Earthquake
-Toxic

I opted for Gliscor as my physical wall because I have found him to be very effective in the past at doing this job, particularly against offensive physical dragon threats. This toxic-stall set is exactly that, hit the opponent with toxic and then stall out with substitute and protect, whilst delivering earthquakes where possible.

Gastrodon @Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 SpA
Calm Nature
-Toxic
-Scald
-Recover
-Earth Power

Gastrodon is perhaps the weakest link in my team at the moment as it hasn't shown any major contribution to competitive battling thus far. The purpose of choosing Gastrodon was to fulfill the role of a special wall, hopefully switching into water attacks to gain a Special Attack boost and then begin to tank special hits and retaliate with STAB moves.

Salamence @Lifeorb
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 100 Atk / 176 spA / 232 Spe
Rash Nature
-Draco Meteor
-Fire Blast
-Earthquake
-Roost

Having already selected both a special attacker and a physical attacker, I decided I wanted to go with someone who could attack from both ends of the spectrum and so felt this classic mixmence setup was the perfect choice. Draco Meteor is used to hit opposing dragons hard, whilst Fire Blast and Earthquake both offer good coverage. Roost is to heal life orb damage where possible.

Gengar @Leftovers
Ability:Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Serious Nature
-Substitute
-Disable
-Shadow Ball
-Focus Blast

Gengar is the most important part of my team and has saved me from many losses. I have found this set to be the most effective Gengar set so far. With 252 speed evs Gengar is able to get up a substitute, disable the move used to break the substitute, set up yet another substitute and then sweep with shadow ball or focus blast.

Well that's my team so far, all criticism is welcome so long as it is constructive and all helpful contributions are appreciated. Like I say, I feel Gastrodon needs the most work and I feel it may need to be replaced, what do you guys think?

I suggest spreading the EVs on Infernape more evenly, perhaps 192 SpA/64 Atk/252 Spe? That way Close Combat won't be as weak as it is now. Despite the base power and STAB, I'm guessing your Infernape's Attack is around 260 right now? Because it has no investment for Attack.

And maybe you could run Jellicent over Gastrodon, as then it gives you a Fighting- counter, and a Special wall, or you could run Swampert over Gastrodon as a hazard setter if you're worried about having two Ghost-types conflicting on your team.

Also, you're incredibly susceptible to a late-game Ice-user, as Gliscor and Salamence both hold 4x weakness to Ice, BoltBeam Starmie could come in and destroy them both in a hit.

haunter

Banned deucer.
This team has a lot of problems. Firstly, change your nature on Gengar, you want a timid nature, remember to never user neutral natures. I would actually change Gengar for a fast revenge killer like scarf Terrakion as your team appears to be really slow for today's metagame.

Secondly, you're extremely weak to Tornadus-T: it outspeeds and 1-2hko every Pokemon in your party and your opponent is guaranteed to get permanent rain as you don't have a weather inducer of your own. A solution would be a specially defensive Heatran with: lava plume/protect/toxic/roar or stealth rock, with an EV spread of 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe and a calm nature. Heatran would also protect you against many sun teams and Genesect. People are running shed shell these days to avoid being trapped by the infamous combo of Genesect+Dugtrio. Ideally I'd replace Infernape.

Another option would be adding a Jirachi, a specially defensive variant to use as an hard counter for Tornadus, Latios etc or a scarf one as a revenge killer. Note that a fast Jirachi would also partially compensate your pretty huge weakness to Mamoswine, as between EQ and ice shard\icicle crash it can outspeed and ohko 4\6 of your team.

Just some food for thoughts, you can use different Pokemon to cover the weaknesses I pointed out. Hope this helps.

Hey man nice looking team!

Looking over it your team seems to have a few issue's with Choice Specs Tornadus-T and Choiced Politoed. This is because no pokemon on your team really wamt to take a powerful Hurricane or Hydro Pump except for maybe Gastrodon who can be taken care of if Politoed has Hidden Power [Grass] and if Tornadus-T carries Grass Knot which they both commonly carry on the Choice Specs sets. Both of these pokemon can be found on pretty much 90% of rain teams so even though you have SubDisable Gengar that can take advantage of their Choice-items Gengar won't live to long and Tornadus-T outspeeds anyway. Dragon dancing dragons like Dragonite, Salamence and Haxorus also look quite problemental as at +1 they outspeed your whole team and are able to sweep late game with their powerful attacks. Salamence and Dragonite are known to commonly carry Fire-type attacks letting them get past Scizor unless their health is low enough to be beaten with Bullet Punch. Gliscor also won't get far in walling these dragons because Salamence and Dragonite are not effected by Earthqauke, and they sometimes carry Lum Berry to bypass Toxics effect. Gliscor will also have a hard time taking their Dragon-type attacks seeing as he doesn't resist the type. This team also doesn't carry the move Stealth Rock. Stealth Rock is incredibly important for any team due to it being the best entry hazard available. Breaking Dragonite's Multiscale and halving Volcarona's health are extremely important this metagame. Also not to mention this team has a lot of threats with a Stealth Rock weakness (Dragonite, Salamence, Tornadus-T).

To help your team cover some of these threats better i suggest Life Orb Mamoswine>Infernape Mamoswine does alot for your team. First of all with Ice Shard alone Mamoswine helps your team combat Salamence, Dragonite and Tornadus-T getting a ohko on all of them after Stealth Rock damage with an Adamant nature. Icicle Spear is another great Ice Stab which Mamoswine can use to help him Ko things like Gliscor and Dragonite behind a Substitute. Earthqauke is Mamoswine's most damaging move and backed with an Adamant nature and Life Orb it will be doing huge damage to anything that doesn't resist it or have an immunity. Mamoswine also has Superpower to keep up with the loss of Close Combat on Infernape giving you another good pokemon with Fighting-type coverage. Honestly i don't think that Infernape set is to good due to Infernapes low bulk and Life Orb decreasing its longetivity it will be hard pressed to get any oppurtunity to set up a Nasty Plot. Mamoswine on the other hand outclasses Infernape as a Life Orb attacker and helps your team with al ot of threats.

Now with Mamoswine in your team your team is less weak to Dragon-types and Tornadus-T. However your team still lacks Stealth Rock and Mamoswine doesn't help to much against Politoed. You mentioned Gastrodon as the weakest link to your team and i think a Specially Defensive Celebi>Gastrodon would do quite nicely. For one Celebi provides your team with a user of the move Stealth Rock which is so important as i have already mentioned. Celebi also fits Gastrodons role as a special wall and a pokemon to tank moves from rain teams. Although Choiced-Politoed usaully carry Ice Beam Celebi still resists 3 of its main attacking options Hydro Pump, Focus Blast, Hidden Power [Grass]/[Electric]. Celebi can then keep itself Healthy with Giga Drain while also threatening Politoed. With the use of Recover Celebi can keep itself healthy through out the match much like Gastrodon. The last move is up to you, but with Mamoswine giving your team a Fighting-type weakness stab Psychic in the last spot looks to me like the best option. With Natural Cure Celebi gives your team another status absorber along with Gliscor.

Good luck with the team i hope i helped!

Sets

Mamoswine @ Life Orb | Thick Fat
Adamant | 4 Hp / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Ice Shard | Icicle Spear | Earthqauke | Superpower

Celebi @ Leftovers | Natural Cure
Calm | 252 Hp / 4 SpA / 252 Sp Def
Giga Drain | Stealth Rock | Recover | Psychic

Tl;dr

Mamoswine--->Infernape

Celebi--->Gastrodon

~Superpowerdude

Hey man nice looking team!

Looking over it your team seems to have a few issue's with Choice Specs Tornadus-T and Choiced Politoed. This is because no pokemon on your team really wamt to take a powerful Hurricane or Hydro Pump except for maybe Gastrodon who can be taken care of if Politoed has Hidden Power [Grass] and if Tornadus-T carries Grass Knot which they both commonly carry on the Choice Specs sets. Both of these pokemon can be found on pretty much 90% of rain teams so even though you have SubDisable Gengar that can take advantage of their Choice-items Gengar won't live to long and Tornadus-T outspeeds anyway. Dragon dancing dragons like Dragonite, Salamence and Haxorus also look quite problemental as at +1 they outspeed your whole team and are able to sweep late game with their powerful attacks. Salamence and Dragonite are known to commonly carry Fire-type attacks letting them get past Scizor unless their health is low enough to be beaten with Bullet Punch. Gliscor also won't get far in walling these dragons because Salamence and Dragonite are not effected by Earthqauke, and they sometimes carry Lum Berry to bypass Toxics effect. Gliscor will also have a hard time taking their Dragon-type attacks seeing as he doesn't resist the type. This team also doesn't carry the move Stealth Rock. Stealth Rock is incredibly important for any team due to it being the best entry hazard available. Breaking Dragonite's Multiscale and halving Volcarona's health are extremely important this metagame. Also not to mention this team has a lot of threats with a Stealth Rock weakness (Dragonite, Salamence, Tornadus-T).

To help your team cover some of these threats better i suggest Life Orb Mamoswine>Infernape Mamoswine does alot for your team. First of all with Ice Shard alone Mamoswine helps your team combat Salamence, Dragonite and Tornadus-T getting a ohko on all of them after Stealth Rock damage with an Adamant nature. Icicle Spear is another great Ice Stab which Mamoswine can use to help him Ko things like Gliscor and Dragonite behind a Substitute. Earthqauke is Mamoswine's most damaging move and backed with an Adamant nature and Life Orb it will be doing huge damage to anything that doesn't resist it or have an immunity. Mamoswine also has Superpower to keep up with the loss of Close Combat on Infernape giving you another good pokemon with Fighting-type coverage. Honestly i don't think that Infernape set is to good due to Infernapes low bulk and Life Orb decreasing its longetivity it will be hard pressed to get any oppurtunity to set up a Nasty Plot. Mamoswine on the other hand outclasses Infernape as a Life Orb attacker and helps your team with al ot of threats.

Now with Mamoswine in your team your team is less weak to Dragon-types and Tornadus-T. However your team still lacks Stealth Rock and Mamoswine doesn't help to much against Politoed. You mentioned Gastrodon as the weakest link to your team and i think a Specially Defensive Celebi>Gastrodon would do quite nicely. For one Celebi provides your team with a user of the move Stealth Rock which is so important as i have already mentioned. Celebi also fits Gastrodons role as a special wall and a pokemon to tank moves from rain teams. Although Choiced-Politoed usaully carry Ice Beam Celebi still resists 3 of its main attacking options Hydro Pump, Focus Blast, Hidden Power [Grass]/[Electric]. Celebi can then keep itself Healthy with Giga Drain while also threatening Politoed. With the use of Recover Celebi can keep itself healthy through out the match much like Gastrodon. The last move is up to you, but with Mamoswine giving your team a Fighting-type weakness stab Psychic in the last spot looks to me like the best option. With Natural Cure Celebi gives your team another status absorber along with Gliscor.

Good luck with the team i hope i helped!

Sets

Mamoswine @ Life Orb | Thick Fat
Adamant | 4 Hp / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Ice Shard | Icicle Spear | Earthqauke | Superpower

Celebi @ Leftovers | Natural Cure
Calm | 252 Hp / 4 SpA / 252 Sp Def
Giga Drain | Stealth Rock | Recover | Psychic

Tl;dr
Mamoswine--->Infernape

Celebi--->Gastrodon

~Superpowerdude

Greatly appreciate the help, will try both on my team now and see how I get on, thanks again!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)