(Almost) Any Ability OU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, long time lurker here. Decided I should post about this since I don't think it's been mentioned before. I'm not trying to steal ideas, though, so if someone has brought this to Showdown please give them their credit they deserve; I simply saw this played elsewhere and thought it should be mentioned.

Edit: Relados mentions NyttyN as introducer. He has been sent a message concerning this thread's existence.
WHAT IS THIS TIER?

Almost Any Ability OU is what it might imply: it's a variation of the OverUsed tier where any Pokemon can have almost any ability! They are still bound to their movesets, typing, and still must follow the EV restrictions. Ubers are banned, just like in regular OU; being able to have any ability is the only thing that changes. You'd be surprised (or not, seeing Balanced Hackmons exists), however, at how interesting and creative people can be in such a tier.

ANY THING FORBIDDEN?
There are a few things typically forbidden in this variation tier.
-Huge Power and Pure Power
-One Hit KO Moves
-Wonder Guard

Everything else, though, is up for your wild imagination to contemplate. And, yes, Drizzle and Swift Swim are legal here.

WHAT COULD I USE HERE?

Slaking @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 Spe
Nature: Adamant or Jolly
- Facade
- Shadow Claw
- Earthquake/Brick Break
- Substitute/Bulk Up

That's just an example of something you could try. Some other Pokemon that might get some looking into by people:

IS THIS PLAYABLE?
Yes, it is playable. You can use the Hackmons tier as a base for play for now.

So, discuss it here and get out there and try it! If requested, I could always list people who want people to play this with here. I also will probably try my hand at running tournaments of this.

nyttyn

From Now On, We'll...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
This is the typical banlist I use:

Clauses: Standard OU. Swift Swim + Drizzle is legal.
Ability banlist: Huge Power, Pure Power, Moody, Imposter, Snow Cloak, Sand Veil, Zen Mode, Multitype, Wonder Guard, Shedinja + Sturdy
Note: Banned abilities are legal on the pokemon that naturally have them, with the exception of unreleased DW pokemon.

I'll go ahead and give you all one of my personal favorites, it's really a PITA to deal with!

Haxorus @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk/252 Spe/4 HP
Nature: Jolly
- Outrage
- Aqua Tail
- Earthquake
- Dual Chop

Moxierus is really a pain to deal with. It has all the upsides of MoxieMence or Moxiedos, with the added upside of not being quad weak to anything (especially not to ice shard). Plus it has the highest base attack stat of any moxie user, which means its outrages get absurdly strong after just one KO. Definitely an unstoppable wrecking ball if you don't have any steels and it gets so much as one kill.

Mr. Uncompetitive

What makes us human?
is a Contributor Alumnus
If there's one thing I've learned in playing in Nytty's Almost Any Ability tours, as well as winning the last one, it's this:

Basically, I just took a Sand Stream user, I just stuck with Ttar because I'm lazy and needed Stealth Rock, slapped on four really strong sweepers/wallbreakers (only ones I remember off the top of my head are Terrakion and Regigigas), gave them all Sand Rush, and then put the cherry on top with a Scarf Contrary Latios just in case the weather gets screwed with and I lack a fast sweeper. While it may seem odd to use Sand instead of Rain (ironically my opponent in the finals was running a Rain team), but Sand Rush gives other weathers a hard time plus it builds up residual damage which is a huge plus, while everyone except Latios is unaffected by the Sandstorm's damage.

If there's one thing I've learned in playing in Nytty's Almost Any Ability tours, as well as winning the last one, it's this:

Basically, I just took a Sand Stream user, I just stuck with Ttar because I'm lazy and needed Stealth Rock, slapped on four really strong sweepers/wallbreakers (only ones I remember off the top of my head are Terrakion and Regigigas), gave them all Sand Rush, and then put the cherry on top with a Scarf Contrary Latios just in case the weather gets screwed with and I lack a fast sweeper. While it may seem odd to use Sand instead of Rain (ironically my opponent in the finals was running a Rain team), but Sand Rush gives other weathers a hard time plus it builds up residual damage which is a huge plus, while everyone except Latios is unaffected by the Sandstorm's damage.
I have Contrary Hydreigon running Draco Meteor instead of Latias. Other than that, our strategies are similar. I just use Garchomp and Terrakion with Sand Rush. (As if they weren't OP enough...)

Also, Sand Stream gets rid of those PESKY Sturdy Shedinjas.

Relados

fractactical genius
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm actually pretty curious what Zen Mode does on non-Darm Pokemon. Same with Relic Song, for that matter.

Anyways, is anyone thinking about the wonders that some walls could do with Regenerater? Regen Eviolite Chansey is not something to be messed with.
As anticlimactic as it is, Zen Mode, Multitype and Flower Gift on pokemon other than those that originally have them do nothing. Relic Song still attacks but does not transform any pokemon other than Meloetta.

Yeah, Sturdinja's annoying as fuck, but there are ways to get rid of it; namely, exploiting the massive weakness to passive damage it still has.

Also, wouldn't Flower Gift still provide its stat boosts, as it has nothing to do with Cherrim's actual transformation?

Yeah, Sturdinja's annoying as fuck, but there are ways to get rid of it; namely, exploiting the massive weakness to passive damage it still has.

Also, wouldn't Flower Gift still provide its stat boosts, as it has nothing to do with Cherrim's actual transformation?
But it'd be useless, except in double battles.

Oh, little advice. Prankster Nature Power Groudon gets shut down by Prankster Taunt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)