CAP 15 CAP 4 - Part 8 - Name Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Well... can't come up with anything good based on Hebrew mysticism.

Final Submission

I'm gonna go with Panoptera

Combines the -optera ending from Lepidoptera with the idea of the Panopticon, literally meaning "observing all," which is a famous, often attempted to be implemented, theoretical prison design of Jeremy Bentham.

Bull of Heaven

Final Submission

Omnisciect

(Omniscient + Insect)

I skimmed the thread and didn't see this one anywhere. Look into those eyes.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Just popping in to say that I've seen a lot of users try to use parts of "lepidoptera" and it's not working out well. The lepido- prefix denotes scaliness, while the -ptera suffix means wing. Lepidopterans (butterflies and moths) are classified in this way because of the individual scales on their wings. Our design does not have any sort of scales, so I think lepido- is a poor prefix to use in any form. -ptera makes sense if the adjective/descriptor that you're classifying makes sense with the design.

Just something to note!

Final Submission

Ceraph

I think it's honestly the most descriptive name, not to mention short and to the point. The other names that caught my eye were Seraphid and Panoptera, both of which seem well thought-out. I hope at least one of these 3 ideas end up on the final slate.

Deleted User 163120

Banned deucer.
Final Submission

Alapolil
(a-lar-po-lil)

Since I figured the wings were the most striking part of the design of our CAP here, I went for the Latin word for wings, which is 'alae' (Singular Wing is ala). I then added the Spanish word for Moth which is Polilla, and personally is something that sounds like it rolls of the tongue nicely when combined with ala.

Final Submission

Risyché
(Risk + psyché)

Of my three suggestions, I actually like this one best. Alternate spellings could be:

Risyké
Ripsyké
Ripsyché

But I prefer the original and first alternate spellings best. All four spellings would be pronounced the same way.

Since no on seemed to like my first name submission (Seramysque), I have a few more names.

Sanctusect
Sanctus (holy in Latin) + insect

Sanctumoth
Sanctus (holy in Latin) + moth

Deusyche/Deupsyche
Deus + psyche

Tell me what you think! Probanly won't win, but I'm trying! I still like Seramysque, though...

bugmaniacbob said:
The only problem with Metatron as a name is that most people's immediate reaction is to think of the robotic rather than the divine, but hey, that's the charm of a complex name.
How about both?

You know, considering the working slate, my submission might actually have a good chance of winning. Oh, what the hell:

Final Submission: Raflyel

"Raphael". 'Nuff said.

I guess this is my Final Submission, then.
My submission is Samaoth.

In Jewish lore, Samael is the name of the angel of death and one of the seven archangels (according to wikipedia - if it's wrong let me know!). -oth is for moth, and because it sounds better than Samaesect.

If I manage to find a way to make it sound better within 24 hours I'll edit it in here.

Final Submission

Elypsion (pronounced "eh-LEE-SY-on")

Elysium/Elysian Fields + Psion

Elysium and the Elysian fields are references to the Christian idealization of Heaven, and the afterlife of Greek mythology reserved for the worthy (particularly the just and the heroic). It's flavorful, and I felt it avoided the common usage of angelic names while retaining the heavenly, quasi-divine aspect. As an added bonus, Hestia, the greek goddess of the hearth, was thought to reside in the center of Elysium, and lends (the sound of) her name to the Ephestia Elutella, or Cacao Moth. Psion itself is a clear reference to the Psychic typing, and has the added benefit of being a homophone of Scion, as in a Scion of God, etc.

All in all: the name sounds good and has a direct reference to the divine and to the psychic typing, with a second layer link to the bug-typing.

Final Submission

Anemoth

I haven't checked through all the posts to see if this has been done. Anem = wind. This could explain how the pokemon actually performs its psychic actions. The moth part is obvious. I think that bludgeoning the psychic aspect of this into the name is not the greatest idea, thus the more subtle approach. Well, I"ll see how this does.

Final Submission
Illuscarb
Illusio (Simply Illusion in Latin) + Scarabaeus (Latin for beetle or Sacred Scarab Beetle to be exact).
I highly doubt that this will be picked, but Meh....

canno

formerly The Reptile
Besectum imbadatnames:<

Bes (Ancient Egyptian deity who protected households) + Insectum (latin name for insect)

Really, I'm only putting this out here because his wings look like shields, plus he has good defense.

Duck Chris

replay watcher
is a Forum Moderator
Final Submission

Serrafly
Personally I think the 'ph' looks wierd in these sort of names, although maybe this could be a better pre-evo name. Also like Aurumoth.

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission

Wingloria

Wing + Glory. Does it need explaining?
I realise this does not have a load of fancy Latin etymology behind it, but it always becomes a mouthful when I try. This name is much more simple than most other names, but I feel it has a nice ring to it.
Also mentioning support of Lepidivine.

Alright, this doesn't add much to the discussion, but what about "Alcamoth"? Direct reference to the Telethia from Xenoblade. It's been mentioned that CaP 4 kind of resembles a Telethia. To anyone who doesn't know, the Telethia are a race of angelic beings who live in a floating city. They're the "protectors" of the land, basically. There are two types of Telethia, however. While the most common type of Telethia is humanoid, the other type is monster...oid, a twisted form of the humanoid Telethia. It's been said by someone that CaP 4 somewhat resembles one of these twisted Telethia, which are supposedly the "true" form of the Telethia.

Also, @corkscrew: "Gloria" is a Latin noun for "glory", so you still managed to get a bit of Latin in there.

Final Submission

Sephimoth
(Seraph or Sephiroth + moth)

I think the name fits well into the pokemon archetypes of names (for the most part) matching what the pokemon is supposed to represent. Seraph and Sephiroth because of the 6 winged angel theme we have going on in the design and the obvious Moth since its the type of bug the design also originates from.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)