DuskMod: A major modification to the standard metagame

Dusk209

No relation.
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So, after the original DuskMod died down, I began remaking it entirely because I was very unhappy with the amount of unneeded, unfun, complicated, and simply bad changes. This is the result - A complete rework of the original DuskMod. But before I get into the details, I'd like to address the...elephant in the room. DuskMod isn't some silly experiment where I say "Hey, let's give x y and see what happens!" and then we play one or two games then get bored- it is a genuine attempt at creating a PS mod that is balanced, unique, and fresh. While the playerbase isn't huge, it's big enough where we can start to actually host regular tournaments and begin to gain a sense of balance.

Anyway, here's some of what you can expect from DuskMod:

- Many pokemon have undergone balance tweaks. Many have received new abilities and moves.
- A number of items, moves, and abilities have changed.
- All Dream World abilities have been released.
- Random critical hits have been removed. Some moves, such as Storm Throw, can still crit 100% of the time.
- Weather is less insane in general, and hail is actually good.
- Some Uber pokemon, such as Blaziken, have been nerfed and unbanned.

But what makes this rework of DM so significant?

- Stats are not changed by the mod - this makes damage calculations less of a hassle and speed tiers more familiar.
- There are no longer any lame restrictions on which pokemon have been "released" for use.
- Most of your standard OU or even UU teams should be usable in DM after a few small tweaks.
- Somewhat more organized changelog.

A complete list of changes can be easily accessed on the server by typing "/dm" or by going here:
Google Docs Pastebin
Play DM here:
http://24.188.20.224.psim.us/
Most people who hang out on the server come during the afternoon (EST.)

I hope I've gotten the interest of those who read this post - I've worked a lot on this mod and am really proud of it. Have fun, and don't forget to post feedback! I'm looking forward to improving the mod more and more.

http://www.pokemonshowdown.com/replay/dusk-duskmod-31 Shows off some new threats such as sand rush flygon
http://www.pokemonshowdown.com/replay/dusk-dmdoubles-28 Doubles match. Shows the mechanics of Hariyama's new ability. I got smashed.
http://www.pokemonshowdown.com/replay/dusk-duskmod-29 http://www.pokemonshowdown.com/replay/dusk-duskmod-35 Two battles showcasing the new and improved arsenal of hail teams! Also featuring darkrai.

I would definitely enjoy this except the fact that critical hits won't occur anymore. Crits add suspense to the battle and without it, it may just be like using seismic toss not locked in a 100HP value. Gotta keep this on my record though. :)

Dusk209

No relation.
I've found that there is plenty of suspense with predictions alone, but the whole crit issue is a very controversial one.

Well there are still misses (with moves like hydro pump, fire blast, focus blast, etc) and there is still min/max damage so it isn't always strictly luckless. The only problem I forsee with the removal of crits is the fact that walls are harder to stop now once they get a few defensive boosts, but I hope to fix that using 100% crit moves such as the new explosion.

On a side note, even if I decide re-adding crits through an optional "crit clause," I will never bring back freeze.

Yeah, while crits are gone, there are 100% crit moves, which help, but the problem is that, looking at the DuskMod list, only moves that also KO the user are 100% crit (i.e. selfdestruct, explosion). It would probably be a good idea to buff moves like storm throw, frost breath, and add some new crit moves. This way, threats such as Cosmic Power Sigilyph are checked better (Imagining that at +4 Def and SpD outright scares me, not to mention that it gets Aura Sphere).

Dusk209

No relation.
When I said "I hope to fix that using 100% crit moves" I meant that I was going to add more in the future.

I would definitely enjoy this except the fact that critical hits won't occur anymore. Crits add suspense to the battle and without it, it may just be like using seismic toss not locked in a 100HP value. Gotta keep this on my record though. :)
This is true, but also, there is min-max damage. This would make damage more varied, so that its not a solid 100HP every time. But yeah, I agree, it seems like a pretty unique and fun idea.

Sorry for quitting on that battle Dusk, my computer is retarded.

In other news, this is a really fun metagame, and I hope Kanto will be up soon!

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to Kanto, on another note, sample teams are now up, and will be updated as new pokemon are added. Sample teams will be accessible in the intro to DuskMod.

Hello, i am TheBurgerKing, (just saying so that the people from the server rocognize me) and from what i understand kanto will be out in a couple of days

Dusk209

No relation.
Would anyone be interested in me hosting a tournament for this? I'd do it next Friday, with the Unova-only metagame. (It'll probably take me 6-7 days to code all the Kanto stuff anyway)

canno

formerly The Reptile
Would anyone be interested in me hosting a tournament for this? I'd do it next Friday, with the Unova-only metagame. (It'll probably take me 6-7 days to code all the Kanto stuff anyway)
A tourney would be great imo, this mod/metagame is great. I highly encourage everyone to try it out!

I'm going to assume that we can post sets here, so I present what is probably my favorite pokemon in the tier (Well, favorite aside from Krookodile <3) is Samurott

Samurott @ White Herb
Trait: Torrent
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Shell Smash
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Currently, Samurott is the fastest Shell Smasher, sitting at base 80 speed, which backed up by a base 108 SpAtk makes Samurott a deadly force. What makes him better is that he had decent 95/85/70 bulk to him. A pokemon that gives Samurott troubles is Ferrothorn, who can take these his hits easy. You could put HP Fire over HP Grass for Ferro, but then you're walled by every Water-type, which is far worse that just Ferro. Surf / Ice Beam is generic coverage for a Water-type. I prefer Special Shell Smash over Physical simply because it's stronger and can actually hit Water-types without relying on Megamiss. Aqua Jet is cool though, especially at +2. Torrent is chosen because Hyper Cutter and Justified are useless on a Special Set.

btw, you can find me on the servers as DreMZ.

A tourney would be great imo, this mod/metagame is great. I highly encourage everyone to try it out!

I'm going to assume that we can post sets here, so I present what is probably my favorite pokemon in the tier (Well, favorite aside from Krookodile <3) is Samurott

Samurott @ White Herb
Trait: Torrent
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Shell Smash
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Currently, Samurott is the fastest Shell Smasher, sitting at base 80 speed, which backed up by a base 108 SpAtk makes Samurott a deadly force. What makes him better is that he had decent 95/85/70 bulk to him. A pokemon that gives Samurott troubles is Ferrothorn, who can take these his hits easy. You could put HP Fire over HP Grass for Ferro, but then you're walled by every Water-type, which is far worse that just Ferro. Surf / Ice Beam is generic coverage for a Water-type. I prefer Special Shell Smash over Physical simply because it's stronger and can actually hit Water-types without relying on Megamiss. Aqua Jet is cool though, especially at +2. Torrent is chosen because Hyper Cutter and Justified are useless on a Special Set.

btw, you can find me on the servers as DreMZ.
While Samurott is the fastest Shell Smasher, both Kingler and Blastoise will get Shell Smash I believe, one of which is more powerful, and one of which is bulkier, so Samurott might become less favourable.

I don't like the removal of the Freeze status effect.
Can you put it back, please?
There was a very specific reason for it's removal. The reliance on chance meant that no one chose a move specifically for it's ability to freeze a target, so all freezings were accidental, and often game-ending for the freezee.

Actually, I considered Rayquaza's comment, and it may be an idea to not bring back freeze to moves, but create a move that ONLY freezes. This would be difficult to do though.

Friday, October 26 Tourney on DuskMod

We will be having a tournament soon, please spread the word, we are looking for 8 people at least, but will happily make it bigger if more users are available.

Lilligant:
Ability: Chlorophyll/Own Tempo/Tangled Feet
Stats: 75/60/80/115/80/90
Movepool: +Earth Power
Dear god. This thing will be a beast.

Serperior:
Ability = Overgrow/Poison Heal/Contrary
Stats = 70/85/90/95/97/103
Movepool: +Earthquake, +Taunt, +Earth Power, +Toxic Spikes
Earth Power+Dragon Pulse+Leaf Storm+HP Fire+Contrary. OP much?

Hydreigon:
Stats:90/105/90/125/90/100
>105/125/100 offenses
The rape train has no breaks. None.

Keldeo:
Ability: Justified/Water Absorb
Movepool: +Shadow Ball, +Aura Sphere
Where is Ice Beam?

Last point: RIP stall. We hardly knew ye.

Dusk209

No relation.
Dear god. This thing will be a beast.

Earth Power+Dragon Pulse+Leaf Storm+HP Fire+Contrary. OP much?
I've used serperior with contrary before, and trust me, it NEEEEDS earth power. Even with coverage provided by dragon pulse, it sucks.

>105/125/100 offenses
The rape train has no breaks. None.
I can see how this could be an issue, but it's not too huge of a buff.

Where is Ice Beam?
Good point. Will add.

Last point: RIP stall. We hardly knew ye.
I'm sure stall pokemon would adore the removal of crits, and the addition of new stallmasters such as serperior and cryogonal.

Dusk209

No relation.
I've just made every pokemon that is from Kanto (or evolves from a Kanto pokemon) legal in DuskMod. They have all been MASSIVELY updated.

Here's a little taste for you - one of my favorite new sets:

Arbok @ Black Sludge
Trait: Shed Skin / Intimidate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Coil
- Gunk Shot
- Outrage / Dragon Rush

With it's new typing of Poison/Dragon, Arbok is a huge threat in the new metagame - While most users of Arbok love using Coil alone, I prefer using this double-dancing set that catches many players by surprise. With both the offensive and defensive boosts at Arbok's Disposal along with the powerful Outrage, it smashes a lot of things.

Dusk209

No relation.
Nollan, I'd appreciate it if you didn't make announcements for me, especially if they are wrong. No new generations of pokemon are in development for DM, at least not for a while.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)