2012 music

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Taylor Swift's new album, Red, leaked yesterday. I know it's totally the genre of music you're all very in to :))))

some albums that i appreciate which were released this year:

bloc party - four

obviously the big one for me and i guess it did disappoint somewhat although there are a few songs i really like.

two door cinema club - beacon

i honestly prefer this to their debut and i liked their debut a lot!! i get the impression that the band is still kind of confused and i feel like some of the tracks are barely distinguishable from others. overall good though

swans - the seer

one of my first forays into post-rock and it would be unfair for me to comment as i guess i dont really know the genre at all that well (yet).

beach house - bloom

very strong,, nice tempo. my first album of theirs and i plan on trying more of their work @ some point in time

the xx - coexist

i read some comment somewhere about how maybe they havent done quite enough since their debut and, at the risk of getting destroyed by music elitists, i think i agree. as dreamy and spacious as ever though

metric - synthetica

only listened to this a few times - as far as i can tell its nothing new which is fine by me

young empires - wake all my youth

all i can say is thank u fifa 13

deadmau5 - album title goes here

i had this playing in the background once and it really just struck me that this really is fantastic background music. sometimes i feel the songs could be a bit more though

animal kingdom - the looking away

maybe it is a bad idea to have a name so similar to such an iconic band. but seriously i cannot get enough of this sh*t

still havent gotten around to:

nas - life is good
muse - the 2nd law (scared to listen to this really - putting it off for ALAP)
lupe fiasco - food & liquor 2 (really pumped for this actually...)

A few albums I've listened to this year:

Shinedown - Amaryllis: I didn't think this one was as good as their previous endeavour, Sound of Madness, but it still has some nice riffs that any listener may have become familiar with from listening to earlier works. Songs that spring to mind are "Adrenaline", "Enemies", "Nowhere Kids", and the eponymous "Amaryllis."

Lostprophets - Weapons: Again, not as good as The Betrayed or Liberation Transmission but it has, like all Lostprophets, some heavy hitting numbers such as "Bring 'Em Down" and "Better Off Dead", but those tracks are less in number than previous albums imo.

Celldweller - Wish Upon a Blackstar: Anyone who knows me at all will know that Celldweller is my favourite artist, I mean what he's done really impresses me, and making the music he does all by himself (he did get John Whitney to help with several tracks on this album though when it came to drumming, and Grant Mohrman helps produce the album and make the final mixes of songs), which must be ridiculously hard to do blows my mind. Plus he's a nice and humble guy so respect+ from me. Anyway actually on to the album, all the songs are likeable in one way or another. Over an hour of ear candy, that continously flows, going from one song straight into the next, exploring a multitude of genres, and that has a stunning climax in "Against the Tide". My only qualm with the Deluxe Version of the album is that he took off the intro in one of the songs of the Standard Version: "It Makes No Difference Who We Are" and used that to make a small, minute long piece called "The Departure" (makes sense since the first track is called "The Arrival"), which I'm not really fond of. So in summation, Deluxe Edition tracklist but with an unmodified "It Makes No Difference Who We Are" would've been perfect. Highlight songs: "Blackstar", "I Can't Wait", "So Long Sentiment", "The Seven Sisters", "Birthright" and "Against the Tide."

Muse - The 2nd Law: My expectations were very low from hearing "Unsustainable" and "Madness", but thankfully they were easily surpassed by the rest of the songs in the album. I like the way they've experimented with new things, as they always do, and created tracks such as "Panic Station" and "Liquid State", which Chris sings instead of Matt. Heist, if you read this, definitely listen to it cause I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. But the fact that Muse were inspired by Skrillex is a fact that I don't think I will be able to stomach for quite some time.

Two Door Cinema Club - Beacon: Found about this group a few months ago and needless to say I was hooked. Beacon was a very pleasant listen to me, and I'm definitely looking forward to see what direction they go in next.

The Mars Volta - Noctourniquet: The Mars Volta continue to impress me with their stuff, and this album isn't any different. I think the concept of it is pretty nice as well, being about "embracing life for what it should be", as Cedric Bixler-Zavala said (his voice is pretty insane too). Makes me wish they still had Thomas Pridgen on drums because he is just awesome.

Three Days Grace - Transit of Venus: An album I originally wasn't fond of. I knew they were trying new things, but I didn't think it was great. But over time it grew on me and I can say that it's one of my favourite albums this year. Catchy riffs, good lyrics most of the time. Fave songs: "Sign of the Times", "Anonymous", "Unbreakable Heart."

Another couple are Linkin Park's Living Things and The Offspring's Days Go By but I have nothing good to actually say about them because I really thought they were disappointing but oh well.

fiction you should check out two door's debut, it's got some really great tracks like i can talk and something good can work

Muse - The 2nd Law: My expectations were very low from hearing "Unsustainable" and "Madness", but thankfully they were easily surpassed by the rest of the songs in the album. I like the way they've experimented with new things, as they always do, and created tracks such as "Panic Station" and "Liquid State", which Chris sings instead of Matt. Heist, if you read this, definitely listen to it cause I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. But the fact that Muse were inspired by Skrillex is a fact that I don't think I will be able to stomach for quite some time.
Really? I find Panic Station terrible. I only really enjoy Madness and Animals off this one =/

Emmure - Slave to the Game

Not very recent but after having listened to it a few times, I definitely like it better than their last album Speaker of the Dead. So it's an upswing but they will never be as good as they were in Goodbye to the Gallows

I'm dying to get Between the Buried and Me - The Parallax II: Future Sequence but it's too difficult to find at this point in time. Also looking forward to Ke$ha - Warrior. Don't judge

Really? I find Panic Station terrible. I only really enjoy Madness and Animals off this one =/
I like Panic Station mostly for the bass (as probably most other people that like this song do), though I really found Madness boring, but eh, that's just me.

Also, I'm looking to get Nonpoint's new self-titled album this weekend or next, and I want to know if anyone has already listened to it yet, and if so, if it's any good.

new wintersun isn't melodeath at all but i really liked it, and i have been feeling pretty ambivalent about symphonic metal in general lately.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Zacchaeus, I got The Parallax I at Best Buy of all god damn places. It shouldn't be hard to find.

(I really need to get The Parallax II and other 2012 music as well...)

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Damn, I really want to see them to play Behemoth. Awesome that they played it that night DM. Sad Mafioso is a fucking killer end. Looked like an amazing set. Quite jealous.
I would give Behemoth 3 out of 5 stars. Like I said, they were missing Sophie, so who knows how much the violin adds, but otherwise it didn't blow me away or anything. Just a straight forward post-rock song, like something Russian Circles may write.

v

protected by a silver spoon
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I bought Red today does anybody want to talk about it??

edit: sincere/not joking/etc

I want to kill Taylor swift and that stupid ever never ever ever ever never song that won't leave my head

Sorry vader but I just can't stand her

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)