101 Signs You Need Help in UU

Status
Not open for further replies.

TPO3

Never practice; Always perform.
#14: You assume that usage stats completely reflect how viable a pokemon is.

I've seen so many people arguing that pokemon like Crobat, Sableye, and Yanmega aren't good, and they point to stats as evidence. "If so-and-so was so good, why isn't it used more?" It's not really a valid argument. Sharpedo was 48th in stats, and pretty much everybody agreed that it was an A-level threat in the Viability Ranking Thread. Cofagrigus was used even less and deemed S-tier. UU is a versatile metagame and pokemon shouldn't be overlooked just based on statistics.

#15 You don't have any priority

Priority is very important in UU, as with frail sweepers like Weavile and Pory-z that can tear through your team in a heartbeat, you better carry at least one priority user on your team.

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Most of my teams don't carry any priority actually. It is nowhere near as necessary as you make it out to be.

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
Instead of having no priority I would definitely say not having a decently fast scarfer or some type of revenge killer would probably be a sign (just an add on of rlyn99's suggestion really). There are so many fast sweepers even if you are relatively good at UU one of them might find a way to set up on your team and if you are weak to it, it would typically be gg. unless you have a scarfer or revenge killer (I would say you would have to have at least be as fast as Jolly ScarfCross to count as a revenge killer, even then if Scarfgon or Scarfdarmanitan finds an opening you would be in trouble). Its usually a bad idea though to rely on revenge killing to beat common threats because if you are revenging something you have to be put in a losing position.

Nas

Banned deucer.
A lot of my teams don't have any Pokemon faster than Timid Raikou, I just use Pokemon with a good amount of bulk and resistances to combat fast, frail sweepers. It really depends on what type of team you're using, so I wouldn't say that scarfers are necessary for every team.

#16. You don't carry any status absorbers.

This isn't just restricted to UU, but I feel like I see a lot more status inducing moves in UU than in OU. There's a lot of random mons that throws toxic out of nowhere, or obvious status inducers like WoW Sableye and TWave Togekiss. All in all, if your team doesn't have a status sponge, it's not a good sign for you.

panamaxis

how many seconds in eternity?
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
#17. You think priority is necessary B)

ok but really #17. You try to use toxic on gligars

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
I not sure on scarfers anymore, think RT. is right you need neither priority nor a scarfed revenge killer if your team has enough resistances and bulk. I still think if you do that a certain few Pokemon might just roll over you like QD Venemoth or Shell Smashers but I dont use scarfers myself on someof my own attacking teams lol. I'm just not sure if those types of teams would be even better with a scarfer fitted onto them.

Dont have love for status absorbers tbh...Darmanitan will absorb WoWisp just fine (scald burns will suk :C) and Rhyperior likes a nice Twave or Discharge to come into. Toxic isn't going to immediately threaten me generally and of course i'm not going to throw around Sleep Talk Darmanitan so I sleepers dont get me (CB sleep talk Crobat might be an idea tho).

I used to toxic Gligar all the time lol, guess i should stop that wishful thinking now. immunity makes Gligar a good bit better now, --heavy sigh-- things just aren't the same for Zapdos with Toxic anymore :l hehe i encourage you to use sand veil Gligar so you stop walling my Zapdos with a gligar :c

On a similar topic:

#18. You use Natural Cure Pokes as your sleep absorbers.

Many times I've seen people switch Roserade or Shaymin on a predicted Sleep Powder / Spore, the same for OU too. What do people think they'll be able to do? Wait to wake up and let something set up on it? Or switch out and potentially let the switch-in it a follow-up Spore? I don't know, the only thing they accomplish with it is making me waste another move, while getting no real momentum from it
Maybe it's just because people don't do it the right way, but seriously, when I use Roserade I don't switch it into those moves, I decide which is my most expendable mon for the time being (if I have nothing with Shed Skin / Sleep Talk), because I don't believe giving my opponent a potential free turn accomplishes anything... That's just my way of seeing it, though

19. You keep your Chandelure into a Trace Pory2.

I mean, let's be honest. You can Hidden Power Fighting it, but even if you're Choice Spec'd you stand only a 1.17% chance of 2hko'ing a 252/176 HP/SpDef Porygon 2, so it can really just stall you out with toxic and Recover. Not to mention, locking yourself into HP Fight is kind of questionable. Scarf is lucky to 3hko - 0.37% chance of doing so. LO is going to die of recoil before it makes an impact. Sub+3 Attacks faces the same situation where it just can't score a 3hko and gets stalled out easily.

Moral: Don't keep your Chandelure into a Pory2.

19. You keep your Chandelure into a Trace Pory2.

I mean, let's be honest. You can Hidden Power Fighting it, but even if you're Choice Spec'd you stand only a 1.17% chance of 2hko'ing a 252/176 HP/SpDef Porygon 2, so it can really just stall you out with toxic and Recover. Not to mention, locking yourself into HP Fight is kind of questionable. Scarf is lucky to 3hko - 0.37% chance of doing so. LO is going to die of recoil before it makes an impact. Sub+3 Attacks faces the same situation where it just can't score a 3hko and gets stalled out easily.

Moral: Don't keep your Chandelure into a Pory2.
I can't wait to see the look on your face when you Trace my Flame Body and I 2HKO you with Fire Blast >:D

o.O

Well, now that I know you don't pack that fire immunity, in goes Darmanitan who 1hkos easily after SR with Flare Blitz.

tehy

Banned deucer.
On a similar topic:

#18. You use Natural Cure Pokes as your sleep absorbers.

Many times I've seen people switch Roserade or Shaymin on a predicted Sleep Powder / Spore, the same for OU too. What do people think they'll be able to do? Wait to wake up and let something set up on it? Or switch out and potentially let the switch-in it a follow-up Spore? I don't know, the only thing they accomplish with it is making me waste another move, while getting no real momentum from it
Maybe it's just because people don't do it the right way, but seriously, when I use Roserade I don't switch it into those moves, I decide which is my most expendable mon for the time being (if I have nothing with Shed Skin / Sleep Talk), because I don't believe giving my opponent a potential free turn accomplishes anything... That's just my way of seeing it, though
Actually, this makes sense if you do it right. If you think the other team is using a sleep move again, go ahead and stay in. You might wake up the next turn, and then you can do something back, possibly even turning the tables if it's roserade. If you think he's attacking in a way you can exploit or switching, you can switch too. It's imperfect, but the alternative is basically losing a pokemon, assuming you don't have anything else to deal with sleep. Even if you lose the prediction war, what's the worst thing that could happen? Your sleeping pokemon will be setup bait either way, but this way it's no longer asleep. If you switch something else and it falls asleep, well, something was falling asleep anyhow. The worst-case scenario is that you overpredict and then switch in something valuable to a sleep move, which could happen with the NC pokemon cut out of the equation entirely.

And if you switch in an NC poke, then another pokemon, then at least the inaccurate sleep moves will need to land twice to be a problem. That's something like 57%, i believe, which is still pretty nice.

Edit: In your post, you even show this. Basically, what happens is just that you seem to be constantly outpredicting your opponents. Switching in the NC mon creates a much larger prediction game, which of course means little if you always win it.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
#20 no electric resist or immunity.

Zapdos//Raikou are such threats and have a massive damage output
I agree with this, but I do have one exception - I've managed to crawl the ladder with just a Snorlax to deal with them. They're still kinda my biggest nightmare though.

#21 Using toxic on Milotic (unwisely)

To me this is a bitter sweet moment. On one hand your using toxic on a milotic which might make the battle that much easier if you dont mind the defense boost. (I battled only a little bit on PS today and two seperate times, my opponent used toxic on my milotic. Both times, I said thanks because I really needed that defense boost.) On the other hand your using toxic on a milotic which can make the battle that much harder if your battling a smart player. (With a large amount of bulk, recover, and predictability on your side, it's fairly simple to keep Milotic alive even with a toxic. With that large defense boost you may screw yourself if you toxic a milotic without thinking about it.)

Not using ditto. Scarf ditto easily does more or less every countering role mentioned so far, is a godly revenge killer even against agility users, basically a god.

I honestly don't quite think "Not using Ditto" counts as a sign you're bad in UU; in the past week I've only seen one or two, including the set I was using on my own team. On one hand, it beats boosting sweepers (not BU Tornadus, though), which is a good reason in its own place. On the other hand, it can't come in on walls, and is actually seriously fragile compared to most things it copies due to that horrible base HP stat. A few times somebody had swapped into my Togekiss at +0, failed to flinch as I boosted, and gotten killed in return because he couldn't finish me off. Same case for anything with high natural base HP stat, but horrible defenses. It also lolfails against SubCM Raikou because it can't boost along with it. It's also quite predictable and easy to play around.

Though, when played right, it's a nightmare to face.

#22. Running a quick claw Krookadile. I just faced one of these quick activated and it aerial aced my heracross and only did like 68%. If you are going to used the Croc in UU you should probably stick with scarf as a moxie sweeper/revenger. It lacks the speed it needs to effectively revenge without a scarf. Also quick claw is extremely unreliable.

Also 200th post woo

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
Not using ditto. Scarf ditto easily does more or less every countering role mentioned so far, is a godly revenge killer even against agility users, basically a god.
how about turning this into "setting up a Kingdra with DD/Mienshao with SD/PZ with NP even though your opponent has a Ditto and you have no real counter/check to it". I haven't used Ditto for a long time but I know i have gotten plenty of "revenge sweeps" that led to my opponent losing game changing material just because they didn't think a step ahead. Seriously there is no real need to use ditto but if your opponent has one dont try a foolish sweep.

Ooooh, that's a good one. Gotta love it when people are so paranoid about Spikes/TSpikes that they're willing to swap into a Base 140 SE STAB attack coming off of Base 125 SpA.

#24: you think a sub will protect you from destiny bond. I can't tell you how many pokes have died after subbing and boosting while my frosslass spikes. Only to be bonded after I taunt to stop their boosting, and 3/4 for the time they always say "WTF I thought sub blocked that".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)