The Dark Horse Project IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm giving up on Tangrowth and Metagross, way too hard to use on the same team and both struggle with the current metagame. Tangrowth has the most potential though. Starting a new team with Amoonguss!

Pokemon Showdown! Username: Potentia
Hall of Fame Standing: None As of Yet
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Amoonguss
Current Ladder Standing: 1000

I have made team centering around Regirock. I have always wanted to make him work in OU, due to his awesome mixed defenses in sand and general awesomeness ;). Was not planning on doing him as a Dark horse, but I have made a new alt and am at 1700 ranking amazingly :D. Might as well register and see if I can get into hall of fame.

Pokemon Showdown! Username: REGI ROCK
Hall of Fame Standing: None ;(
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: REGIROCK!!!
Current Ladder Standing on Pokemon Showdown!: 1819

Pokemon Showdown! Username:NukeEm'
Hall of Fame Standing:None
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With:Rampardos
Current Ladder Standing on Pokemon Showdown!:1802

Lady Alex

Mew is blue
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Pokemon Showdown! Username:Beatoriche
Hall of Fame Standing:Platinum
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With:Mismagius
Current Ladder Standing on Pokemon Showdown!:None

Stole Mismagius

Mismagius @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Trick
- Shadow Ball
- Thunder
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

I didn't expect Mismagius to suck so much.

Lady Alex

Mew is blue
Updated Mismagius post.

Pokemon Showdown! Username
:Bernkastel
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With:Xatu

Xatu @ Leftovers
Trait: Magic Bounce
EVs: 248 HP / 204 Def / 56 Spd
Bold Nature
- U-turn
- Thunder Wave
- Roost
- Heat Wave

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Your art of thievery has been duly noted, Lady Alex >:] But yea, that Mismagius set sucks - you could've done better to harness the potential of this critter.

I am always interested in Xatu, but never found a good reason to invest a team slot for it - what was your reason to run Xatu (it's not exactly a Pokemon you can build a team around)? Did it meet your expectations as a bulky magic bouncer? Have you considered using Toxic to poison Hippowdon, who can otherwise set up SR after Xatu U-turns?

Lady Alex

Mew is blue
I ran Xatu so I would have a way to keep hazards off my field without having to resort to forretress or donphan, who are dead weight when it comes to keeping momentum (bar forretress, who I'm not a fan of at all, really). I used it alongside dugtrio and genesect on a sun team. For Hippowdon, I ran rock polish Genesect with giga drain, so it was never much of an issue since I could usually sweep afterward since most people run physically defensive Hippowdon, giving Genesect the special attack boost.

Pokemon Showdown! Username:Choroneko
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With:Cofagrigus

Pokemon Showdown! Username:theflyingafro
Hall of Fame Standing:none
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With:rotom-h and gothitelle
Current Ladder Standing on Pokemon Showdown!:1776

How did you choose your Dark Horse Pokemon for this project?
With the high recent usage of genesect (now most used poke in ou) and scizor i felt that rotom-h would be a brilliant addition to any team. The defensive set i used gave me a useful pivot poke with was still able to hit hard with overheat. The reason I chose gothitelle was for its ability which allowed it to eliminate politoed.

How did you go about building a team for your Dark Horse Pokemon?
when building a team around rotom-h i felt that it would be suitable on a hail team. it provided a useful pivot been able to take attacks from genesect and scizor which most hail teams would have trouble from. gothitelle needed lots of hazard support to make up for its lake of power.

Do you think it is more difficult or less difficult to ladder with a Dark Horse Pokemon? Why? i had little trouble with rotom-h in the ou environment where it showed its self to have lots of uses. Gothitelle worked well but did suffer quite often from a lack of power and speed. when attempting to rectify the speed problem with choice scarf the lack of power was shown. similarly when playing gothitelle with choice specs a lack of speed meant that gothitelle took many hits with limited its life. it was also vulnerable to all form of hazards with limited its life.

Again i'm swapping Pokemon, I'm going to use Zapdos instead. Amoonguss was extremely difficult to use, even with Regenerator. however, due to his crap performance as a special wall I did find Zapdos because it partnered well and SpDef. Zapdos can beat Tornadus one on one. I think Zapdos might propel me up!

Pokemon Showdown! Username: Exscidium
Hall of Fame Standing: None
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Zapdos
Current Ladder Standing on Pokemon Showdown!: Whatever the default is....I think it's 1000

Lady Alex

Mew is blue
Giving up on Claydol/Sableye. I just can't make them work.

Again i'm swapping Pokemon, I'm going to use Zapdos instead. Amoonguss was extremely difficult to use, even with Regenerator. however, due to his crap performance as a special wall I did find Zapdos because it partnered well and SpDef. Zapdos can beat Tornadus one on one. I think Zapdos might propel me up!
You will not be taking Zapdos from me. I will be happy to compete with you for it.

Lavos

Banned deucer.
why doesn't anybody go for grandmaster? you have a whole day left, and the standard ou ladder is looking pretty shabby considering that all the players of note are all off suspect laddering for voting reqs...just a recommendation

alkinesthetase

<@dtc> every day with alk is a bad day
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
tbh we haven't really set any super hard cutoff... i'm in EDT (GMT-4) but it's not like i have the last word =P

for convenience, we'll say that it's over when next month's thread goes up, unless either a) one of my superiors overrides this statement or b) we close it manually

alkinesthetase

<@dtc> every day with alk is a bad day
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
dw about it, we should have the next thread up by like november third at the latest, otherwise we'll let participants know that we're gonna be a bit delayed

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
It's November 1st, which concludes the fourth installment of Dark Horse Project!!! Thank you all for making this a resounding success! To recognize some of the feats by our challengers, we present

Distinguishment Awards

Jogger ganj4lf - Fastest challenger to make into HoF
  • ganj4lf was the first to carve his name on HoF with Mew, completing his laddering in 15 hours! Unfortunately his HoF was removed after Lady Alex laddered higher with Mew ;(
Burglar Lady Alex - Challenger who stole the most HoF Pokemon
  • Lady Alex is October's Dream Crusher, as she stole LucaroarkZ's Zoroark, ganj4lf's Mew, Eranu's Deoxys-D, and Master of the Six King's Mismagius!
Pokefan Master of the Six Kings - HoFer with the most underused mon
  • Master of the Six Kings entered the HoF with the most underused mon, Whiscash, which was ranked 270th in usage!
Super Nerd ssbm - HoFer with the most Dark Horse in one team

Collector Lady Alex - Challenger with the most HoF Pokemon
  • Lady Alex entered the HoF with whopping 11 Pokemon!
Riches Lady Alex - Challenger with the most medals
  • Lady Alex won the most medals - 1 platinum, 2 silver, and 6 bronze!
Reporter Jimbon - Challenger with the best RMT
  • Jimbon records his Dark Horse voyage with his Lanturn through his eloquent RMT, Weird Fish! The team itself is a strange HO team that takes advantage of Lanturn's niche as an effective Rain check and a valuable defensive pivot. Check it out! Other awesome DHP RMTs can be found here
Youngster Lavos Spawn - Best Newcomer
  • Lavos came, Lavos saw, Lavos conquered (DHP) ;o
Veteran Lady Alex - Best Returner
  • Lady Alex is an old-timer, who has participated in EVERY Dark Horse Project! She returned in our latest DHP to surpass her past legacy, and she certainly did not disappoint! This round alone she entered HoF eight times with eleven Dark Horse Pokemon!
Pokemon Rangers Jimbon & Huntofthelion - Most in-the-Spirit Challenger
  • Jimbon & Huntofthelion both possessed a good grasp of this challenge's purpose. They found hidden gems overlooked by a more "cut-and-dry" options. Jimbon & Hunt did not merely slap their Lanturn or CB Heracross / SD Feraligatr on a team, but they made sure that these Pokemon would pull its weight for the team. They have made competitive Pokemon picks and the set and team layout they have chosen reflect this.
Ace Trainer Molk - Quality Challenger
  • Molk entered the Platinum rank TWICE with 4 Dark Horse Pokemon, Gold rank with Weavile & Slowbro, and Silver rank twice with another 4 Dark Horse Pokemon! That's some consistent high-quality performance! Molk is 2 Gud ;)
Champion Lavos Spawn - Grand Master - the undisputed winner of Dark Horse!
  • Lavos became Grand Master in his first run through his first Dark Horse challenge ever with his beloved Suicune! It only took him less than 2 days to accomplish this, too! The PS! ladder was not prepared for the Lavos Inquisition x0

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks, again, for the fun time ;) Get ready for the 5th DHP thread opening soon!

Lady Alex

Mew is blue
Haha! I like it! I'm glad this project was revived and I had a great time getting the chance to get to the top of the ladder with some of my favorite pokemon that are generally ignored ignored in team building. idk if I'll attack November with as much fervor as I did October, but I'm definitely looking forward to claiming at least a couple distinguishments xD

Oh, and congratulations to everyone else who was able to achieve getting into the hall of fame, and sorry to those who got their hopes crushed by me ;D

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Oh shit i got Ace trainer, niceeeee! I would have tried to go for grandmaster but the ladder reset before i could ;-;. I was also bored one night and got bronze with deoxys-D offense+weedle because i didnt know what to put in the last slot, but i didnt register my alt for dark horse so oh well :(. I dont think you guys would accept weedle into the hall of fame anyway xD.

Anyways, this was fun, and im sure that im going to be a repeat challenger here, i had a lot of fun just making teams around my favorites, and it was nice to get away from RU for a change, good luck to all of you in the future! haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)