Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJB

Sup Peeps
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnus
On pokemon showdown, the ladder is broken, will change it ? when ?
This is not helpfull.

Firstly this should probably be in the bug report section depending on what the problem is.

Secondly how is it broken? If you are complaining about not being on the ladder when you have more points then others on the ladder, then it is because your deviation is too high. Play more games and you will be put on the ladder.

Do you think you could, by default, hide chat messages from Replays? They detract from the readability of the log, and some sites/users might want to show off their battles in more PG-strict communities so having potentially not-PG chat messages hidden by default would be nice.

(Edit: I also would really like a basic calculator, and I would like to point out to Zarel that he kind of seems to discard some suggestions because there's a workaround, but not all of us are programmers and think of or appreciate these workarounds - i.e. exporting and importing a team to duplicate it, etc. :) )

Please increase the time people get to restart after their browser crashes. Right now you got 150 seconds for a disconnect, which is ok but still a little short, but a meagre 30 seconds if you get a browser crash. This is not a reasonable amount of time within which to reconnect to the server - I just had a battle where Firefox crashed, I immediately restarted and by the time PS had loaded I had lost. What's wrong with the 150 second grace period for other inactivity? At the very least, it needs to be 90 seconds. Not eveyone has fantastic internet, and right now this is costing me games.

I believe PS is THE simulator, it's perfect in each and every way.
The only think it lacks, according to me, is the Doubles battles. I'd like to learn to play in the doubles format, but I kinda dislike PO, and no one plays in doubles there anyway... So yeah, add VCG/GBU Doubles and I'll love you forever D:

MJB

Sup Peeps
Please increase the time people get to restart after their browser crashes. Right now you got 150 seconds for a disconnect, which is ok but still a little short, but a meagre 30 seconds if you get a browser crash. This is not a reasonable amount of time within which to reconnect to the server - I just had a battle where Firefox crashed, I immediately restarted and by the time PS had loaded I had lost. What's wrong with the 150 second grace period for other inactivity? At the very least, it needs to be 90 seconds. Not eveyone has fantastic internet, and right now this is costing me games.
You actually get 60 seconds after a disconnect, however people often moan that this time is too long, so both sides are moaning for both directions. This situations gets quite complicated quite quickly so 60 seconds is used as a median between these 2 opinions.

I believe PS is THE simulator, it's perfect in each and every way.
The only think it lacks, according to me, is the Doubles battles. I'd like to learn to play in the doubles format, but I kinda dislike PO, and no one plays in doubles there anyway... So yeah, add VCG/GBU Doubles and I'll love you forever D:
This is being worked on but there is no due date yet. This is quite complex to do and takes a lot of time (the battling engine needs to be half re-written). Also this has been suggested many, many times.

Dusk209

No relation.
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'd love to see the ability to add entirely new moves, items, pokemon, etc. with their own sprites using server mods.

Another very important addition would be the ability for server owners to add new formats with their own banlists, clauses, mods, etc. without having to replace an existing one.

Relados

fractactical genius
I'd love to see the ability to add entirely new moves, items, pokemon, etc. with their own sprites using server mods.

Another very important addition would be the ability for server owners to add new formats with their own banlists, clauses, mods, etc. without having to replace an existing one.
I'd like to see this as well, as this was a setback to when I was creating support on my server for the Other Metagames.

Another thing: It'd be nice if in random battles I won't get a pokemon with Sturdy and Focus Sash. I've had that sort of thing happen to me many times and it gets increasingly infuriating.

One thing I feel showdown lacks is an 'offer draw' option -- whether two full stall teams going head to head with 200 turns without any kind of KO, or a bug preventing a game from continuing, a way for each player to leave the game without losing ladder points would be nice.

Dusk209

No relation.
One thing I feel showdown lacks is an 'offer draw' option -- whether two full stall teams going head to head with 200 turns without any kind of KO, or a bug preventing a game from continuing, a way for each player to leave the game without losing ladder points would be nice.
I think this addition would be great if it only worked after x amount of turns, to make sure people only draw if there is a huge stall war.

On an unrelated note, it would be cool if the teabuilder could account for changes in the "mods" folder of a server via a dropdown menu. It would help greatly for those playing gen 4, gen-NEXT, etc.

- Doubles Battles

- Ability to save teams to account instead of only locally for registered users

- Group chatrooms, put them in the same place where PM windows show up. Something like /room [roomname] [password (if any)] to join one or, if it doesn't exist with people in it already, create one.

- Unrated OU/RU/NU/UU etc. tiers for testing new teams.

- Offer draw

- Make pokemon choice in random battles more intelligent. It's stupid when you end up with all water type pokemon, or 5 pokemon who have toxic, or when half your team has no attacking moves, or when you get a calm mind/baton pass etc. moveset with a choice item... I could go on. Whether it's preset teams, or just preset move and item sets, or even just programming it so that it avoids giving you repeats of the same types or pokemon builds. There's really a TON of stuff that could be done here to improve random battles, and make them a lot more fun and less luck-based. It would also help introduce new players to competitive pokemon because they would be using viable movesets and teams and learning strategies instead of just random shit.

- Tournaments + history, where people can view past winners of (official/moderator-made) tournaments. I don't mean big tournaments like the grand slam and premier league, since those are kept on Smogon. Just think it would be cool if maybe once every week or every other week, mods would run an open tournament that people are free to join. Winners could get voice (+) or something, although no reward is fine too. Tournament history could be logged in a separate tab by teambuilder/lobby etc.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
- Doubles Battles
Zarel is working on it; he says his work resulted in a glitch that happened yesterday!
- Ability to save teams to account instead of only locally for registered users
This is a sentiment echoed by many people, but it's pretty low-priority since there are other ways to move teams between computers.
- Group chatrooms, put them in the same place where PM windows show up. Something like /room [roomname] [password (if any)] to join one or, if it doesn't exist with people in it already, create one.
Being worked on (to my knowledge).
- Unrated OU/RU/NU/UU etc. tiers for testing new teams.
There's really no need for these since you can easily create a testing alt.
- Offer draw
This was heavily abused in the past, so whether or not it will ever exist is unknown at the moment.
- Make pokemon choice in random battles more intelligent. It's stupid when you end up with all water type pokemon, or 5 pokemon who have toxic, or when half your team has no attacking moves, or when you get a calm mind/baton pass etc. moveset with a choice item... I could go on. Whether it's preset teams, or just preset move and item sets, or even just programming it so that it avoids giving you repeats of the same types or pokemon builds. There's really a TON of stuff that could be done here to improve random battles, and make them a lot more fun and less luck-based. It would also help introduce new players to competitive pokemon because they would be using viable movesets and teams and learning strategies instead of just random shit.
Challenge Cup is the random shit ladder, but some of the things you say about Randbats (Shell Smash Clamperl with no STAB, come on) are pretty true. Some things have been edited for balance, however. Air Balloon Rotom-S is totally intentional though because you can never be immune enough to Ground!
- Tournaments + history, where people can view past winners of (official/moderator-made) tournaments. I don't mean big tournaments like the grand slam and premier league, since those are kept on Smogon. Just think it would be cool if maybe once every week or every other week, mods would run an open tournament that people are free to join. Winners could get voice (+) or something, although no reward is fine too. Tournament history could be logged in a separate tab by teambuilder/lobby etc.
Simulator-based tournaments are also being worked on, but since you can easily host a tournament via challonge.com, it's pretty low priority.

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
In the meantime, the server will simply not acknowledge that your fight ever happened if both you and your opponent leave the room before the battle is over. Alternatively, leaders and above have the ability to force ties if both you and your opponent can get their attention.

Uh can there be an option to Import All? I love the Export All and it saved me when I transferred computers, but I still have no teams on PS! because I don't want to go through the daunting task of importing each team individually. Importing teams en masse would be great.

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
you should seriously have ways to kick people spectating that you don't want to

even when laddering and no specs clause is off

seriously

MJB

Sup Peeps
you should seriously have ways to kick people spectating that you don't want to

even when laddering and no specs clause is off

seriously
If someone is bothering you in a battle you can PM a moderator to come take a look.

I can't really think of a valid reason to keep spectators out of games besides tournaments, which there are few of importance on showdown.

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
You can't always PM a mod, and sometimes spectators just keep posting on other people's battles if it were their own? It's also really annoying to have a hoard of people just come in and talk shit at you... Though I know that there are some recognized people who do this too.

At least there should be an ignore option. That way there is literally no harm done to anyone, and IMO rejecting this second option "because it's not 100% necessary. Call a mod for every problem you have with other people" is either lazy / strange and shouldn't we just take an option when it makes a mod's job significantly easier? This is a quality of life suggestion for the mods, if anything... I don't think it's too complicated to program, either.

I'm not doing this because "secrecy" rofl though the community is really heavy on that too. I'm mainly concerned about "abuse" that are in the blind zone because there's nothing technically wrong with what they do (except just talk a whole shitton in a place where they're not really welcome.) I guess I could convince some mods i know to politely tell them to cut down on their crap, but a lot of people don't. At least those people should get their peace of mind with the ignore button.

Option of looking up the list of spectators without having to scroll up and checking every line would be a cool idea. Not necessary, but just a tangent on the topic at hand.

MJB

Sup Peeps
You can't always PM a mod, and sometimes spectators just keep posting on other people's battles if it were their own? It's also really annoying to have a hoard of people just come in and talk shit at you... Though I know that there are some recognized people who do this too.

At least there should be an ignore option. That way there is literally no harm done to anyone, and IMO rejecting this second option "because it's not 100% necessary. Call a mod for every problem you have with other people" is either lazy / strange and shouldn't we just take an option when it makes a mod's job significantly easier? This is a quality of life suggestion for the mods, if anything... I don't think it's too complicated to program, either.

I'm not doing this because "secrecy" rofl though the community is really heavy on that too. I'm mainly concerned about "abuse" that are in the blind zone because there's nothing technically wrong with what they do (except just talk a whole shitton in a place where they're not really welcome.) I guess I could convince some mods i know to politely tell them to cut down on their crap, but a lot of people don't. At least those people should get their peace of mind with the ignore button.

Option of looking up the list of spectators without having to scroll up and checking every line would be a cool idea. Not necessary, but just a tangent on the topic at hand.
I can see your point of view and wasn't rejecting it, was simply offering a solution. Also you can ignore by typing /ignore name-of-user .

i'd like to ask for the implementation of tabcomplete and that feature that pops up your previous message if you press up, because those were seriously some awesome tools, especially for moderation.
i've asked for it in the past, but it has been swept under the rug apparently because it's admittedly just a trinket, but it's a goddamn awesome trinket so i'd love to see it back.

michael

m as in mancy
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'm mostly with Amarillo here. I've had far too many times, where at like 1am and I'm one of the few mods on, I'll get a PM every two minutes asking for me to look at a battle because of people being abusive/annoying/etc. Having an "ignore spectators" option (a la PO), or the ability to mod one's own battles (a la PL/Shoddy/Shoddy2) would be marvellous.

PMing a mod is really a pain for both parties and should only be used if no other options are possible / the offender(s) are doing something really inappropriate.

EDIT: Oh cool 200 posts

How about a friends list, so you can easily see if people you know are online, and maybe even get a notification in chat when they login? I meet a lot of cool people on Showdown and, more often than not, never see them again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)