Seasonal Ladder - November

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

art by Icepick

This is a new ladder which we're implementing in the server on Pokemon Showdown! It is a randbat in its entirety but what's different is that we have limited the list of pokemon which will be picked from. The list of the pokemon which will be picked from is entirely dependent on what the current theme is. The theme will change every month, alongside the ladder. This is just some wacky fun thing that we (aldaron and I with help from a few others), thought would be a nice, fun, silly thing to do.

The list we have chosen for this month is: Thanksgiving Feast. I will announce when the ladder is up and running in this thread & it will be a good time for all.

alakazam
machamp
hypno
hitmonlee
hitmonchan
Mr. Mime
Jynx
Hitmontop
hariyama
sableye
medicham
toxicroak
electivire
magmortar
conkeldurr
throh
sawk
Gothitelle
beheeyem
bisharp
volbeat
illumise
spinda
cacturne
infernape
lopunny
lucario
mienshao
pidgeot
fearow
dodrio
aerodactyl
noctowl
crobat
xatu
skarmory
swellow
staraptor
honchkrow
chatot
unfezant
sigilyph
braviary
mandibuzz
farfetch'd
pelipper
alteria
togekiss
swoobat
archeops
swanna
weavile
gallade
gardevoir
ludicolo
snorlax
wobbuffet
meloetta
blissey
landorus-i
tornadus-i
golurk
bellossom
lilligant
probopass
roserade
leavanny
zapdos
moltres
articuno
delibird

So please use this to discuss how you feel about this ladder as a whole, as we are open to suggestions!

Dusk209

No relation.
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Personally, I find this to be a little be underwhelming - There should be more silliness involved than just a whitelist of allowed pokemon. Maybe add new rules to the tier, for example, any bird pokemon deal 1.5x damage, or all birds get instantly killed. There are tons of things you could do with this concept, but at the moment it seems lame in my opinion...

EV

Banned deucer.
The Whitelist is very Fighting, Psychic, and Flying-type heavy. Rocks are gonna be important...

5 spinners: Hitmons (3), Spinda, and Delibird, and only 2 Spinblockers: Sableye and Golurk.

We will be watching... >.>

Relados

fractactical genius
I really like the idea of seasonal metagames. I can just see Aerodactyl destroying in the Thanksgiving one, given two stabs that hit most of this metagame hard.

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
Creator of PS
For the record, it's extremely easy to implement rules like: "any bird pokemon deal 1.5x damage, or all birds get instantly killed". PS is made to be very easily moddable.

Pelipper is surprisingly good. All the sets I've had (and met) so far have had 3 or 4 attacking moves. Hydro Pump/Scald, Air Slash and Ice Beam get great coverage and its natural bulk let's it take most neutral attacks. Braviary is also great too, a Sheer Force boosted Rock Slide kills all the Flying types in the tier. Zapdos is brilliant too. I got it once with Substitute/Roost/Thunderbolt/Hidden Power Grass and Leftovers. NOTHING breaks through its substitutes except aerodactyl and archeops, who both get murdered by Thunderbolt. This thing is impossibly difficult to take down behind a sub. None of the Psychic types so far have been particularly good though.

The foe's Gallade used Shadow Sneak!
It doesn't affect Farfetch'd...
Turn 14
KotseConfused forfeited.

Also, #1 on the ladder but it won't last, especially considering how the team match-ups are luck based.

Matthew

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Really digging the ladder right now good to see you nerds playing it. I would like to apologize for the rushed sense of the month of November for this but you best believe that things are going to get more and more awesome for the meta here now that we have months to prepare these types of things.

Katakiri

Listen, Brendan...
is a Researcher Alumnus

Ready for dinner and dessert.
Bisharp & Gallade at least least brought knives. But no Muskedeers?
The lack of Chandelure is shocking.

I can already tell these are going to be very fun ladders.

Matthew

man why is everyone complaining about Zapdos when Sigyliph is fucking tearing shit up whenever someone gets it. Shit is scary as hell to face.

Every Sigilyph I've gotten only had Psychic attacks. Dark types wall every Sigilyph set I've come across. Also, pretty much all Sigilyphs have Psycho Shift but not all of them have a Status Orb, rendering the move near useless. It's also murdered by dark attacks. Zapdos is killed by rock and ice type attacks but most of the pokemon that carry those moves are weak to Thunderbolt (Articuno, Aerodactyl etc). And for some reason, Zapdos has Lightningrod despite it not being released yet. Most of the Pokemon that beat Zapdos can't beat it when it's behind a substitute, a move which is present on nearly all its sets. And considering the number of grass types and flying types in this metagame, it's extremely easy to set up a sub.

Sigilyph is obviously more threatening if it's accumulated lots of Cosmic Power boosts but it can still be easily phazed by Skarmory, and can't get past Dark types such as Bisharp and Mandibuzz. If you're one of the lucky ones who got a Sigilyph with an attack other than Stored Power, you should be very happy. Zapdos is much harder to stop than Sigilyph in most cases, but if you lack a Sigilyph counter you're almost guranteed to lose.

Duck Chris

replay watcher
is a Pre-Contributor
man why is everyone complaining about Zapdos when Sigyliph is fucking tearing shit up whenever someone gets it. Shit is scary as hell to face.
I'm gonna confirm this, with burn orb and psycho shift its so easy to stall out physical dark attackers such as weavile or Bisharp. Stack up to +6 with stored power and cosmic power/roost your way out of anything. What a cool pokemon.

I think a good idea for a future month would be one where only all the Pokemon from one type can be used (e.g. all rock types). It would be a completely different type of metagame. For example, using the rock example, most Pokemon have high defense, so some Pokemon that are usually physical attackers would be better as special attackers in that metagame, and a Pokemon like Cradily would be probably a top tier threat due to it not being weak to Water and Ground, and Sandstream would raise the special defense of the whole tier, and so on.

Or in an all-grass metagame, it would be different too, with no spinners, and nobody would be able to use STAB moves, (moves like Sludge Bomb and HP Fire/Ice would probably be the main moves), Leech Seed doesn't work, likely rain/sun weather wars, and so on.

And lets not even start with an all-Dragon metagame, it would probably be one of the most offensive and fast-paced metagames ever.

I think mono-type metagames would certainly be interesting to play, even with randbats, if you ever run out of ideas lol.

This seems like a really interesting ladder. I was hopng that on certain months it could highlight certain tiers so that people get exposed to other metas.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
It's really just a fun ladder because everthing else is OMGSERIOUS so we're lightening the mood (but not our stomachs this month!).

I'm sure you can all imagine the disappointment when Hitmonchan doesn't OHKO Farfetch'd with Close Combat though.

Relados

fractactical genius
Kinda cool although I wish it wasn't randbats. This ain't so fun though:

Yeah, that glitch is a problem right now.

For now all the pokemon are level 100, rather than in level groupings like Random Battles. Not quite sure why that is, but it'd be preferable if the levels were not all the same.

Also, mono-Ice for December sounds reasonable to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)