My Clique (OU Weatherless)

Introduction

Weather, weather, weather. Welcome to the OU metagame. Whether or not to use it is the first question to answer when making a new team. My answer was no. Long gone are my days of keeping a below average Pokémon alive to win a game. Long gone are my days of relying on Chlorophyll to sweep a team. Long gone are my days of needing rain to use Hurricane. Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome to God’s Country. OU Weatherless.

Team Building

A few months ago when I was battling on Showdown my opponent gave me advice. At the time I didn’t want it, I didn’t think I needed it. However, I listened to what he said, and it stuck. He told me that I should be using a Gengar with my Heatran. He told me that Gengar was Immune to Heatrans weaknesses and that Heatran resisted Gengars weaknesses. He told me that the only type that can hit one of these two super effectively and hit the other one neutrally is Water. These two Pokémon were almost a perfect match for each other. A third Pokémon, Politoed joined in on the fun and formed an amazing defensive core. With all the switching these three team mates did, it became evident that they needed rapid spin support. Forretress was my first and only choice. A pine cone with a metal shell? That’s awesome! The next glaring weakness was priority. I needed something to come in and ruin the fun of my opponent. Breloom was my go to choice because he also hit Water type Pokémon hard, something that I was lacking. My last wanted Pokémon was a Dragon, who doesn’t want a pet Dragon? Of course, if I am going to have a pet Dragon I want the coolest looking one Available. Since I can’t get the Night Fury off of How to Train Your Dragon I chose Latios.

My Clique

Here We Go!

Gengar @ Black Sludge
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Disable
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

This is the standard Smogon Sub/Disable set so I am assuming that most of us already understand it. However for those that have been living under a rock this is how I use it. Substitute, Disable what ever attack my opponent used to break my Sub. Set up another Substitute to see if the opponent has another attack that hits me. If he/she does either try to take out their Poke with stab Shadow Ball or Focus Blast or switch out. This works best on Ground or Fighting types who already have one move I am immune to. Simply Disable their coverage move, set up a Sub and do major damage.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 202 HP / 52 Atk / 252 SDef
Lonely Nature
- Lava Plume
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Roar

Originally I had a max speed/special attack Heatran here with Air Ballon. However, I was recommended to switch it out with a special defensive variant. Lava Plume is for stab, and for the Burn chance. HP Ice is for Dragons who think that they can can switch in on me. It also catches people who over predict and try to use DD on my Heatran predicting a switch. Roar is pretty standard on a defensive Pokemon. This bring us to Earthquake.... and those 52 Atk EV's. Why 52? I have no idea, just a random number I picked. Let's see what they can do though.

52+ Atk Earthquake Vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Tentacruel
(158 - 188 HP) 43.4 - 51.6%
52+ Atk Earthquake Vs. 252 HP / 32 Def Tentacruel
(208 - 246 HP) 57.1 - 67.6%
52+ Atk Earthquake Vs. 252 HP Jirachi
(154 - 182 HP) 38.1 - 45 %

Now lets look at Earth Power
0 SpA Earth Power Vs 252 HP/ 0 SpD Tentacruel
(140 - 166 HP) 38.5 - 46.5 %
0 SpA Earth Power Vs 252 HP/ 224 SpD Tentacruel
(116 - 138 HP) 31.9 - 37.9 %
0 SpA Earth Power Vs 252 HP / 224 SpD Jirachi
(132-156 HP) 32.7 - 38.6 %

As you can see Earthquake can hit these Special Walls for a 2HKO after hazards.

Politoed @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 236 HP / 52 Def / 220 SDef
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Protect
- Toxic
- Encore
I know this does seem like a joke but it isn't. Politoed has similar stats all across the board with Jellicent. It also bluffs that I have a rain team. That could prevent my opponent from trying to set up with things such as Volcorona and Venusuar if they think I'm just going to make it rain. I don't think I will use this set but it could be interesting to say the least

Latios (F) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Spd / 252 SAtk
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire]

What I did here was find one of the best choice scarf users in the game. Then I took his move set, and put it on his sister. Latias still hits hard from her base 110 SAtk. Obviously she doesn't hit as hard as Latios, but she is just as fast and just as good. The choice scarf is what makes her shine. She out runs Genesect, who thinks he has an easy KO with U-Turn and OHKOs with HP Fire. Ice beam hits Landorus, Dragonite, and Salamence for OHKOs. Draco is my most powerful move and Psyshock get a stab boost while hitting special walls hard.

Forretress @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Atk
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Spikes
- Gyro Ball
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin

This is usual lead unless I spot a major weakness. Max Def/HP to increase chances of getting my hazards up. Gyro Ball hits most sweepers very, very hard. Rapid Spin and Leftovers are standard for Forre. I don't run Special Def EV's because I try to keep sturdy intact so that I don't get one shotted. One thing that I would like to point out is that Gyro Ball does around 80% to Espeon, a common switch in due to Magic Bounce.

Breloom @ Life Orb
Trait: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch
- Spore
- Focus Punch

This is simple, bring Breloom in on something that it can kill. (T-tar comes to mind, and if I bring Politoed then my opponent will want to keep his T-tar alive.) Force the switch out, use Spore on whatever comes in. From there, if you predict another switch use Focus Punch. Then the switch in is now out sped by Breloom. If you think the asleep Pokemon will stay in use one of your stabs to do massive damage.

Viola, there is my Clique. Let me know what you think! :)

Hi. Nice team. First thing first: Low sweep>Drain punch on breloom. Low sweep lowers speed along with having 135 BP.

On latias, Draco meteor>Dragon pulse. Seeing as how you are using timid, Draco meteor is better for the extra power.

On Forretress, Spikes>Toxic spikes. Toxic spikes is an overrated move, and what if you only get one layer down? Then what? Spikes are better because they deal consistent damage.

I would also reccomend changing vaporeon to either tentacruel, or jellicent. Vaporeon has little synergy with this team.

Also, E.Power>EQ on heatran.

I'd say SubSplit Gengar over SubDisable, and Water Absorb Jellicent as a spinblocker/Water check.

The standard Utility Jelly Defensive set would do well.

Change TSpikes to Rocks on Forry. Rocks hit everything, spikes don't.

This team feels very Specially oriented, meaning any physical attacks are going to have a field day with you.

dragonuser

The only thing I look up to is the sky
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Hey there, this is a pretty interesting team and I am glad to see that you are trying a non weather team. While this team is pretty solid, I think there are still some loose ends. Rain Offense looks really rough to face. Tornadus-T beats 5/6 of your Pokemon, although Latias can surprise and outspeed him it can't OHKO Tornadus-T. To fix this I would recommend a Specially Defensive Jellicent, in place of Vaporeon. Jellicent still gives you a valuable Water-Type immunity but also gives you a better answer to Tornadus-T, albeit not a perfect one (only like 2 perfect answers in the metagame). That is why I would also recommend changing Heatran to a Specially Defensive set. This gives you another check against Tornadus-T, while giving your team a stronger core. Finally, I would recommend using Draco Meteor > Dragon Pulse on Latias. Latias is rarely in for more than a few turns, and due to its lower Special Attack it really enjoys the added power that Draco Meteor gives. Anyways, hope I helped.

Jellicent (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 36 Def / 220 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Scald
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Recover

Heatran (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SDef / 8 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Roar
- Toxic
- Protect
- Lava Plume

Roar + Status may seem a bit counter intuitive, but they both serve valuable roles on your team. Roar helps with slow but strong boosters (like Latias/Reuniclus), who could be troublesome if they setup fully, while status helps early game and helps to wear down Pokemon like Tornadus-T.

Hey, cool team.

First of all, i'd like to suggest Roar > Earthquake on Heatran. And using Stealth Rocks > Protect. A combination of Stealth Rocks + Roar deals with Volcarona way better than Earthquake. And since you carry Air Balloon, Protect seems unnecessary. You might also want to change it's ev spread to a special defensive set. Thundurus-t seems like a pain to your team, so an ev spread of 248 HP / 252 Sp Def / 8 Speed along with an calm nature. You might want to change your item as well if you're running air balloon for subtoxic Gliscor since Gengar does exactly the same job. And earthquake doesn't seem like a big problem with 2 resists while having Forretress too. So try Leftovers > Air Balloon. Now that you have Stealth Rocks on Heatran, you get an extra moveslot on Forretress. I agree with evillocke that Toxic Spikes aren't as good in bw2 as they were in past metagames so I would suggest to change Toxic Spikes > Spikes and then using Volt Switch > Stealth Rocks. Having a spin blocker (Gengar) works better with Spikes as well, since Toxic Spikes can be removed without using Rapid Spin. Next up, change Latias to Latios if you're going to use a scarf set. The difference in Special Defense is almost unnoticable while the difference in Sp Atk is a pain. (for example missing out on the ohko on Terrakion and Keldeo). I'd also like to suggest Draco Meteor > Dragon Pulse on Latios. The fact that Latias is choiced means it'll have to switch out nearly every time it attacks, therefore Draco Meteor seems like the better choice. It also ohko's Tornadus-T after any previous damage (from 98%). Also, use Low Sweep > Drain Punch on Breloom. Low Sweep is stronger due to technician and lowers the opponent's speed, giving you the possibility to out speed and 2hko a lot of stuff in OU.

"Aint no body fuckin with ma clique!"
Luvdiscd just for that! Haha

Okay well. Ill try make it simple.
Forretress
Spikes > Toxic Spikes
Your team doesnt really lean that much towards stall so id favour spikes.

Breloom
Low Sweep > Drain Punch
Lowers the opponants speed and hits harder

Heatran
Stealth Rocks > Protect
Roar > Earth Power

Latios
Draco Meteor > Dragon Pulse

Finnaly add sprites over the individual pokemon to make it look nicer.
Gl with team

Joeyboy

Has got the gift of gab
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Cool team man! The first large threat I see is Rain Offense, and more specifically Tornadus-T. Heatran is your only flying resist and it can be easily beaten by Torndus-T's Fighting-type coverage or a U-Turn into a Dugtrio(a very common strategy at the moment). For this reason I would like to recommend a pokemon I recommend often for weatherless teams, Specially Defensive Rotom-W and I would suggest replacing Vaporeon with it, as they both fill the role of bulky water. The set I suggest is:

Rotom-W @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 28 SAtk / 232 SDef
Calm Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-o-Wisp / Thunder Wave
- Pain Split

Rotom-W is one of the best counters to Tornadus-T will also possessing general utility to teams. It resists Hurricane and also provides a sturdy resistance to boosted Water-type attacks. The choice of Will-o-Wisp vs. Thunder Wave is up to you. Will-o-Wisp is quite good at burning the very common Ferrothorn switch-in while Thunder Wave thrives in slowing down the myriad of super fast threats in the current metagame.

Another way to help you against Tornadus-T is(as suggested above) switch Drain Punch for Low Sweep on Breloom. Once you've Spored Breloom is often seen as Hurricane bait. Low Sweep allows you to dent it on the switch and get off another solid hit as you now out speed it.

Other small changes brought up also work. Replace Earthquake for Earth Power on Heatran, for sure. Heatran has a much higher SpAtk than Atk. Also try Stealth Rock over Protect on Heatran. Protect is used to scout and to gain extra recovery, but you don't run Leftovers so it's not nearly as effective. This will also give your Forretress more breathing room, which we will get to.

On Forretress I recommend running a moveset of Rapid Spin / Spikes / Volt Switch /Gyro Ball. Volt Switch is very valuable as it allows you to keep momentum against the common Ghost-type switch in.

Good Luck!

Thanks guys :) Most of the changes were made. I've had a little success with the team today during testing. It's just taking a while to adjust to such a slow team. It has done really well against Sand teams so far. I'm also 2-0 against Rain but neither of the teams had a Tornadus T. Most of my matches have been 30 + turns unless Forretress gets all of his hazards up and is able to prevent my opponent from getting his up. Latias sweeps pretty easily in that case. I might also try out that Rotom set, as I don't have anything for Gyarados.

Thanks guys :) Most of the changes were made. I've had a little success with the team today during testing. It's just taking a while to adjust to such a slow team. It has done really well against Sand teams so far. I'm also 2-0 against Rain but neither of the teams had a Tornadus T. Most of my matches have been 30 + turns unless Forretress gets all of his hazards up and is able to prevent my opponent from getting his up. Latias sweeps pretty easily in that case. I might also try out that Rotom set, as I don't have anything for Gyarados.
Glad we helped
Heres the rotom set id try

leftovers
calm
252 hp/ 100 spdef/ 156 spe
hydro pump
voltswitch
will o wisp
pain split

or

chople 8erry
modest
252 spa, 156 spe, 100 hp
hydro pump
voltswitch
rest
hidden power grass

anyway i hope i helped, gl with the team

Team updated with Latios replacing Latias, Politoed replacing Jellicent and Focus Punch replacing Low Sweep. Currently at 1633 and raising on the Showdown ladder.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)