Media One Piece (spoilers!)

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
chapter was fucking AWESOME (dun worry, Robin will be fine... srsly...)

I'd say at this point Kinemon and Momonosuke both join the straw hats, or they just go home. Honestly, the later seems more likely overall but who knows?

+++points for Samurai discipline/rearing. Kinemon's kid is the only one not on the drugs. I think we can all learn some important parenting from this.

Raise your kid by the archaic code of the samurai, and he'll stay away from drugs. w00t

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Its quite impressive to see Monet's relatively calm demeanour for nothing. She's clearly stronger than CC. Not to mention, she's still the ONLY character in this arc who hasn't expressed the tiniest flicker of discomfort. What a bad bitch
<3

Hopefully she puts up a good fight against Zoro.

this would be zoro's first "real" fight in the new world, as in against a true new world caliber opponent. I don't think he's going to get demolished but I wouldn't be surprised if he was beaten before the likely retreat to DD's island where the real battle will take place.

As far as new members joining the ship, it really seems like it's an all or nothing thing with Kinemon/Momonosuke. I'd bet that they end up going their seperate ways with the Straw Hats but eventually meet up later. I'm not really sold on the idea that adding more members to the crew would be good for the story, and 2 new members seems like it would create a lot of chaos in the story where it doesn't need to be, especially when the crew is still getting a feel for the new world.

I think of it this way. Adding a new crew member isn't just a "+1 crew member" to the strawhats, it's adding more and more dynamics between crew members. So going from 9 to 10 members is more like at least 10 new dynamics rather than 1 new member. Adding two new members would be way more. The story doesn't really need it right now imo, since there's so much going on in the new world that a new member or two would distract from.

Not saying Oda couldn't do it, but it would get really convoluted at this stage in the plot.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I agree that pope that luffy's group doesn't need new members this early into the new world adventure.

What they really need (still) is to prove the worth of their training, and the validity of their inflated reputations.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion

That One Piece chapter was good, but flawed. One Piece is not allowed to be flawed ffs.

I cannot BELIEVE Zoro has reservations about fighting women. The demon swordsman, the only strawhat who barely EVER shows mercy (this is the guy that hurts his opponents until they're basically incapacitated) refuses to go all out against women... what?!? I could understand why Sanji does it, but zoro. ZORO?!? The worst part is that he fucking proves Tashigi right. If Monet were a guy, we wouldn't even be having this discussion, he'd be taken down immediately (you know, after she fucking tried to kill zoro's teammates). The fight would have been oh-so-much better if Tashigi never showed up period, but no Tashigi had to come in to give her a designated girl fight (fortunately she got owned hard). I don't even have a problem with Tashigi getting bodied by Monet (the gap in power is laughable), but I do have a problem with her getting the winning blow... overall, I honestly lost a little bit of respect for Zoro. I would have killed for a proper Monet vs Zoro fight, but whatever :/

I should have expected this tbh. Especially after this

http://c.mhcdn.net/store/manga/106/29-275.0/compressed/One_Piece_v29_c275_p03.jpg

Everything else was great though. I really liked Zoro's method of defeating Monet, though I wish he would have sliced her afterwards instead of Tashigi (Zoro cuts people all of the time without killing them). Hopefully this puts to rest the "Monet 4 Strawhat" argument for good though!!11

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I don't think I really agree with you PKGaming.

Has Zoro _ever_ cut a woman before? I'm asking earnestly because I don't remember. IIRC he never touched Kuina, and the only girls he's attacked were on Whiskey Peak cause they all attacked him (in fact, against the Nun and the child, he used the back of his sword).

Zoro obviously follows a samurai style bushido, and the manga has (for over 600 chapters), shown that he doesn't really attack women if he doesn't have to, so I didn't see that as a flaw.

I honestly loved that chapter. Zoro was all but directly shown to have CoC Haki, and his reference to a "wild beast" was a perfect symbol for his character overall.

I'm gonna go ahead and assume that if Monet is active in the future SHS vs. Don Flamingo arc that the previous chapter's foreshadowing of Nami vs. Monet will come true, as Monet, in spite of Logia, clearly isn't at the Big 3 / or even possibly Franky / Brooke level.

And yea, I agree, monet for shs fanboys are done.... :(

PK Gaming

Persona 5
Has Zoro _ever_ cut a woman before? I'm asking earnestly because I don't remember. IIRC he never touched Kuina, and the only girls he's attacked were on Whiskey Peak cause they all attacked him (in fact, against the Nun and the child, he used the back of his sword)
He's actually attempted to cut down Nami before.

But in general, he's never had to "fight" a women worth cutting before Monet. Tashigi doesn't count because she obviously reminds him of Kuina and she isn't really an enemy worth cutting down. The Whiskey Peak Nun & child don't count (they're hardly fighters) but Zoro definitely went all out against Mrs. Monday. Whether he used his sword against her is irrelevant, he fought to KO her, which kind of my problem with the current chapter. He holds back against Monet, a high level logia with a killing intent... why? Why should honor be relevant? He's literally holding back against her because of her gender. In a way he proves Tashigi right... "you hold women as inferior, that's why you hold back."
Obviously a very loaded phrase, but is she wrong? I really don't think so in this situation.

Zoro obviously follows a samurai style bushido, and the manga has (for over 600 chapters), shown that he doesn't really attack women if he doesn't have to, so I didn't see that as a flaw.
I always saw Zoro as the guy who got shit down no matter the circumstances. He SHOULD be able to put aside this "issues" when fighting a dangerous opponent. Zoro has NEVER held back against a powerful opponents before, especially if they're attacking his teammates. Tashigi said it herself, Monet has a serious chance of fucking up her subordinates. Which is my main issue here... gender shouldn't even factor in this circumstance. Why are you holding back against a lightning fast logia who can bite the heads off people? Fuk.

And yea, I agree, monet for shs fanboys are done.... :(
gg GG

though tbh, that ship sunk a while ago. She's got crazy eyes lmao.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
Well PK, going by the last chapter, I think it's safe to say that Zoro puts Monet in the "weak" category (relative to himself). He's aware of her relative strength to other characters (like Nami and co.), and aware that she could be a problem to his comarades; but I think he's aware of his own superiority 1-on-1 (which is something Monet was aware of too). Therefore, I think once it became 1-on-1 (basically), as soon as Nami and co got away safely, he had the freedom to handle the situation much more leisurely (like kick back and let Tashigi try).

either way, the fact that Zoro wasn't fighting her 100% because of her gender really is only a negative for the story. It makes sense for Sanji to be like that because that's his character, but it doesn't really add anything to the story or to Zoro's character for him to be like that. Unless Oda is planning to go somewhere with that in the future (maybe it'll be relevant vs. Big Mam?), it detracts from the overall story.

IMO

PK Gaming

Persona 5
I take it back, the last one piece chapter was awesome and i'm totally ok with how zoro handled the situation. I guess it was a combination of re-reading mangastream's superior translation and taking my head out of my ass.

I'm only skimming this thread. I'm only up to the start of Marineford, I know a bit of what happens later.

I think it is inevitable that Blackbeard manages to find/get-someone-to-make one of the superweapons.

But what I wanted to say was that I loathe Blackbeard. Which is suppose is a testament to his characterization. He encapsulates all of my inner fears about myself and my will to succeed which is very scary for me. And I think this is a quite universal reaction. Blackbeard IS relatable to. Which is one of the worst things about him.

I really like Law (I've spoilered him for myself -.-), Chopper, and I quite like Luffy.

But my absolute favorite character was The Going Merry. The Going Merry sendoff made me cry. Which is something very hard to do.

ZEHAHAHAHAHAH

NO OP THIS WEEK

FUK PKGAMING

DA fuk do i do ?_?
Well, theres always Naruto.

So does this mean that Zoro has Emperor Haki or is it the same thing that appears in all manga involvings swordsmen?

I'm only skimming this thread. I'm only up to the start of Marineford, I know a bit of what happens later.

I think it is inevitable that Blackbeard manages to find/get-someone-to-make one of the superweapons.

But what I wanted to say was that I loathe Blackbeard. Which is suppose is a testament to his characterization. He encapsulates all of my inner fears about myself and my will to succeed which is very scary for me. And I think this is a quite universal reaction. Blackbeard IS relatable to. Which is one of the worst things about him.

I really like Law (I've spoilered him for myself -.-), Chopper, and I quite like Luffy.

But my absolute favorite character was The Going Merry. The Going Merry sendoff made me cry. Which is something very hard to do.
Welcome brother. You may now bash Naruto at will.

Isn't it amazing how much foreshadowing is involved in BBs character? I've said it many times but BB is a darker Luffy, Akainu is Luffys opposite. BB i also find scary. Which is weird considering how silly his character is portrayed most of the time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)