np: BW OU Suspect Testing Round 7 - Ice Ice Baby

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElectivireRocks

Banned deucer.
Genesect is the least of Kyurem-B's problems. Unless Genesect carries its Steel STAB, which dramatically lowers its coverage which is one of its strongest points, it will always lose 1 on 1 against Kyurem-B.

Kyu-B's power and bulk are fine - in fact they're too much for OU to handle because it has no safe switch ins even without set up. Kyu-B's only real problem is its SR weakness, which puts a limitation to its hit-and-run tactics.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Oh, I never posted my favorite Kyurem-8 set.

Introducing:

Kyurem-8 @ Choice Scarf
Adamant
-Outrage
-Fusion Bolt
-Dragon Claw
-Don't care (Earth Power / Ice Beam / etc)

I used this as a surprise revenge killer / lategame sweeper. It was cool because it's unboosted Outrages are capable of pretty OHKOing nearly everything single offensive Pokemon in the game. I wasn't using it on a regular team though, this set worked on DragMag teams. On regular teams, I used CB (which wasn't very good) and ballabrown24's sub set (which is pretty awesome).

Lavos

Banned deucer.
Oh, I never posted my favorite Kyurem-8 set.

Introducing:

Kyurem-8 @ Choice Scarf
Adamant
-Outrage
-Fusion Bolt
-Dragon Claw
-Don't care (Earth Power / Ice Beam / etc)

I used this as a surprise revenge killer / lategame sweeper. It was cool because it's unboosted Outrages are capable of pretty OHKOing nearly everything single offensive Pokemon in the game. I wasn't using it on a regular team though, this set worked on DragMag teams. On regular teams, I used CB (which wasn't very good) and ballabrown24's sub set (which is pretty awesome).
Yeah this set's pretty great, I still prefer Sub + 3 Attacks but this one also has a lot of potential. 170 base Attack is more than enough for a Scarf revenge killer, and base 95 Speed makes for an easy revenge kill on common +1 sweepers such as Dragonite. Its lack of any substantial coverage is disappointing, but to be honest, Dragon + Electric isn't that bad, it does a good number on most of the OU metagame. Obviously pretty well walled by Heatran (and Steelix!), so I tend to run Earth Power in the last slot to catch those two unawares. Good set, thanks for posting it.

Kyurem-B @ Life Orb
Teravolt
Naive 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
- Outrage
- Fusion Bolt
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power

This is what I used for the majority of my first half of my run on the suspect ladder. It was being supported by SubCharge Magnezone, an idea that had been discussed in OU staff's channel, with the reasoning that teams that didn't have Ferrothorn would have difficulty taking on Kyurem-B and teams that did would have to deal with SubCharge Magnezone. This obviously wasn't as good as practice as in theory, but this set was still fairly effective. It could get in on something slow like Politoed and either kill something with Outrage, or early in the game eliminate, say, Heatran with Earth Power (or weaken Jirachi) or kill Landorus-T with Ice Beam, opening up sweeps for Scarf Salamence or Scarf Latios. Or it could kill just about anything else with Outrage. It's also deceptively bulky, taking things like Scarf Keldeo's Secret Sword and retaliating with Fusion Bolt. In this metagame, though, I often found myself just saccing Kyurem-B when I was in trouble, so I eventually dropped it, as many others did.

Speaking of DragMag, something that seems to be catching on is the inclusion of Kingdra in those teams. Now, this worked out in practice just as well as it did in theory. Kingdra destroys rain offense teams without Ferrothorn, and Magnezone both gets rid of Ferrothorn for Kingdra and destroys some rain teams that do use Ferrothorn. Kingdra is actually very anti-metagame right now, just because of how badly it can bone rain teams. If you're only looking to the "bone rain" aspect, then Choice Specs is your most reliable set, but if you're like me and want Kingdra to have some utility:

Kingdra @ Life Orb
Swift Swim
Modest 24 HP / 252 SpA / 232 Spe
- Draco Meteor
- Hydro Pump / Surf
- Hidden Power Fire / Surf
- Rain Dance

Still dicks over most rain offense but can also pull a surprise lategame sweep against other teams. Also great when sun teams think they can just sack Ninetales and sweep with Venusaur later. (This is a mistake, NEVER sacrifice Ninetales if your opponent has a Kingdra or something that looks like it might change the weather.) The Life Orb recoil is a bit annoying though, since Kingdra can have trouble taking a hit and then getting off a decent number of attacks. It can also catch things like Genesect, Scizor, and Ferrothorn off guard with Hidden Power Fire, making things easier for its Dragon-type teammates.

Well Haxorus, time to say good-bye to OU...

Well, maybe not, but in all seriousness, I'm expecting even more people to run Terrakion, Scizor, and Genesect (LOL, as if its usage could get higher.) and Genesect to start running Flash Cannon to hit it Super Effectively.

Well Haxorus, time to say good-bye to OU...
Haxorus still has things that differentiate him from Kyurem-B such as

Mold Breaker Earthquake
Taunt
Dragon Dance
Swords Dance
Fighting Neutrality
Steel Neutrality
Rock (and by extension, SR) Neutrality
Can take weaker ice attacks (as opposed to many other dragons being 4x weak)

On the other hand Kyurem-B has better bulk not factoring in typing, higher attack, and mixed capabilities, as well as being a fabulous smash-pass recipient.

Not trying to say Haxorus is better or worse than Kyurem-B, but Outrage power isn't everything.

I dislike Kyurem-B as a SmashPass recipient. Not only are you weak to the most common priority, but its coverage isn't even that great and you need like HP Fire or Freeze Shock (lol) to hit Ferrothorn. Garchomp is much better imo with its great bulk, typing, and coverage.

PDC

street spirit fade out
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Of course Garchomp still has nothing on the almighty Jirachi for SmashPass....

It is a self-sufficient boosting sweeper that works in effectively in SmashPass teams if you cannot get a Pass off. Jirachi is the boss probably, but Garchomp serves other purposes as well ^__^

Stone RG

Megas are broke
Well since today all this ends (like kyurem b is being banned lol), id like to ask what might the next OU suspect be, i think we should test excadrill, and deoxys s and thundurus just to se how will they impact on the meta (thats just an idea dont hate).

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
As for smashpass, Sash Genesect is the best recipient out there right now, at least, imo. It kos just about the entire metagame, and since SmashPass is arguably good at keeping rocks off the field until mid game, chances are you'll have sash in tact. Kyreum-B, however good a recipient, is a bit too weak to priority / lacks coverage, which is what you look for in a smashpass recipient (examples are Conk and Rachi, which have amazing movepools, have amazing resistances or bulk to common priority, just like the aforementioned Genesect).

AfroThunderRule

*yawn* ez
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Well since today all this ends (like kyurem b is being banned lol), id like to ask what might the next OU suspect be, i think we should test excadrill, and deoxys s and thundurus just to se how will they impact on the meta (thats just an idea dont hate).
I think after this they're going to test some of the guys currently in OU, like Genesect.

According to this post, it looks like we'll be testing suspects in the current meta first. I would personally love to see Excadrill and Thundurus come back before seeing Genesect go, but maybe that's just me.

edit: ninja'd

Stone RG

Megas are broke
Well Genesect deserves a test definetely, but i personally dont get why cant we test more than 1 thing at the same time.

That's what Im wondering too. ^ When ou first started didn't the first few rounds ban several things at once? SS+Drizzle and manaphy got booted at once, right? The only issue I see out of this is Tornadus-T because if drizzle is banned, then there really is no reason to ban tornadus.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
Looks like Votes are revealed now.

Woo Kyu-B is officially legal now.

Edit: Even better, beat the official tally by 2 seconds ;3

AfroThunderRule

*yawn* ez
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Pretty much expected.

Also not sure if this belongs here but why can't we suspect things like Genesect, Deoxys-D and some of the ubers all at one? We have tested multiple suspects in a round... didn't we?

we're going to figure that out soon. we have a general idea with what we're going to do in the immediate future, but we still need to hash out some details

thanks again for participating folks. have fun with kyurem-b in OU in the meantime until we get the next round up and going :toast:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)