Lifestyle physical health/fitness thread

@Jesus- that's a really great time for a first marathon. By the description of your training regimen, it seems you were well prepared. Did you run XC for your university, or do you still?
Thanks lol, and I ran cross country and track in high school but not university. I was thinking about it but I didn't really think I was quite good enough for my school's team (their walk-on standard for the 3200m is 9:24 or something). I thought about going to a d3 school to run, but the one d3 school I applied to ended up being way too expensive. Anyway, just started running again yesterday after a 10 day break, and like Lee mentioned my calves are really sore.. funny how it happens even after a little time off.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
6-Dimension, I'd imagine squats to be a prerequisite for a basketball routine but I'll leave that to somebody who knows the first thing about basketball.

Eagle4 said:
I was born ten weeks early, so you could/should say I'm a weakling. I do exercise rarely, although sports daily. I also eat too much, yet I'm still thin and small.

I don't know if uber-high metabolism is a good thing...
I read a study that the difference between a high metabolism and a low one is, over the course of a day, an additional 200 calories burnt. I had 2500 for breakfast this morning - a 'high metabolism' is little more than a myth, you're simply not eating as much as you think you are.

SqueakyGuy, thanks for sharing and for the support. StrongLifts is definitely worth a try.

Anyway, I fell off the wagon for the first time today. After almost a month of running at least every other day the pain crept up to an unacceptable level and I was forced to break my streak. Feels okay now and I suspect I'll run tomorrow but it was a somber reminder of just how fast things can turn from 'hey, maybe I can do this after all' to 'ok what the fuck was I thinking?' As of right now my goal is still sub-17 6 weeks from now - I've got down to around 19 minutes on my training runs - calf burn is gone, respiratory pain is fading and there've been glorious, fleeting adrenaline-laden moments when I'm completely devoid of knee pain. Roll on tomorrow so I can get out there again.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
I'm trying to make my school's basketball team this year after getting back into it freshman year two years ago, so I've been getting into fitness.

Monday/Thursday
- Incline Bench Press (5x10)
- Decline bench press (3x10)
- Upright (sitting) bench press (4x10)
- Tricep extension (4x10)
- Chest fly (3x10)
- One leg squats (5x10 on each leg, alternating)
- Leg extension (3x8)
- Calf raise (1x40)
- Decline crunch (1x40)
- Oblique crunches (1x20)

Tuesday/Friday:
- Pullups (4x10)
- Dumbell Row (5x10 on each arm)
- Bicep curls (5x10, on each arm, alternating)
- Hammer curls (3x10)
- Dumbell shrug (3x10)
- Hyperextensions (3x12)
- Lying leg curls (3x10)
- Decline crunch (1x40)
- Oblique crunches (1x20)

this is what i've been doing for the past two months or so. I'm 16, 5'9" and weigh a waaaay underweight 130 lbs (which does mean I'm up 5 lbs from this summer, progress is progress, right?) but not looking to make big, quick gains, so I don't screw up my shot. If anyone can recommend any changes to what I'm doing I will hear them out gladly, being that I'm such a beginner when it comes to fitness.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!
Way too much on small muscle groups (look at your biceps routine) with little to no back. Think of it this way, have you ever seen a tree with bigger branches then its trunk? The trees with the monstrous branches have a really thick and strong trunk to support it. You need to get your back and legs stronger before you can seriously considered growing muscle, not to mention it's a lot more functional for basketball. Add squats and deadlifts first of all, I can't stress how good they are for overall strength. Secondly, I'd add some explosive plyometric type work in to your training regime - think box jumps, skipping, tuck jumps, ladder drills etc. Reason being that as a basketball player, a quick first step and burst of speed can make or break you. If you're putting on this weigh when your body isn't conditioned to perform with it, even if it is muscle, you could lose a step or two in the process if you aren't careful! Best of luck!

So I've started on the SL 5x5 training program this week, I went to the gym on Monday and Wednesday so far. I've enjoyed both visits, it's like I'm nerding up weight lifting, which is something I enjoy a great deal. For those unfamiliar with the workout, the basic gist of it includes: compound exercises with the barbell (squat, deadlift, etc.), start program with an empty bar or light weight, increasing weight by 5lbs. every workout.

My biggest issue right now are my deadlifts. I feel like my inflexibility in my hamstrings and hips (abductors, flexors, adductors, not really sure at this point) caused a bit of strain in my lifts tonight while attempting to use proper technique. Nothing a bit of stretching won't help out with (never before the workouts, I know).

The barbell rows start with only 10lb. plates on each side, so the bar is very low to the ground, and he recommends dropping the weight on the ground every rep. This makes form difficult when the diam. of the plate is around 6-7", so I've taken to doing the rows inside the power rack with the safety catches about 9" off the ground, to simulate the height of the bar with 45lb. plates. I felt proud of coming up with what I thought was a fairly clever solution to that issue.

My brother and I agreed to start the workout at the same time so that we can stay motivated by being able to talk with each other, so even though our schedules don't always overlap, it's nice to have someone to chat with about my concerns. He seems really unenthusiastic about starting bench pressing at 45 lbs. when his lifetime max for bench was 255lbs when in college. But we're both really thin, and I've managed to convince him that if we do the squats and deadlifts and overhead press, we'll be much stronger to improve our bench press maxes later in the program as the weight gets heavier.

Last but not least, been focusing on my posture like crazy, mostly so I will not arch my back during the exercise movements.

I read a study that the difference between a high metabolism and a low one is, over the course of a day, an additional 200 calories burnt. I had 2500 for breakfast this morning - a 'high metabolism' is little more than a myth, you're simply not eating as much as you think you are.
Yesterday was a normal day for me:

Breakfast - Cheese and Ham Toastie, and tea.
Lunch: Spaghetti and Meatballs(x2), Jelly, Donut, Mini Cheddars, Fruit Pot, Strawberry Juice, Pop Tart, Bunch of Grapes
Dinner: Fillet of cod with soy sauce, tea, Carrots and Pea Shoots, Pasta, Chicken Burger(x2), Dairy Milk chocolate bar, Jelly(x3), Orange, Lychee Smoothie.

So yeah. I eat the most in my year, I'm the weediest in my year.

Okay, so I've been having pretty decent results with my current routine but I'm starting to think I should switch it. I've been working out every other day for a month, and my improvements have been (all these being weights I rep, I've been doing 3x5s for all except 1x5s on deadlifts):
Bench: 75 -> 95
Squat: 85 -> 175
Deadlift: 105 ->165
Press: 55 -> 70 (these are the hardest for me to get through)

However, I feel like my routine isn't the best it could be. It currently is written as follows (it's a variation on starting strength I guess):

Monday
3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench press / Press (Alternating)
Chin-ups: 3 sets to failure or add weight if completing more than 15 reps
Wednesday
3x5 Squat
3x5 Press / Bench Press (Alternating)
1x5 Deadlift
Friday
3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench Press / Press (Alternating)
Pull-ups: 3 sets to failure or add weight if completing more than 15 reps

My problem with it is that after i do my bench presses or presses I can't physically do the pull-ups/chin-ups, so I never can make it through that aspect. Everything else works well enough, but I also don't know if I'm hitting my abs/midsection at all with any of this (I know those aren't the most important thing but I don't want to be imbalanced). I was wondering what I could adjust on this routine to make it work out better, or if there's a better beginner routine altogether I could be following?

Also, when you guys talk about your caloric surpluses, do you account for calories burned during your workouts, or just the amount of calories you eat above the basal metabolic rate? It's been about a month and I've been shooting for a 500 calorie surplus but while I'm seeing the definition slightly form I don't think I've actually gained any weight. I realize this also might be due to losing fat at the same time because I'm still this early into the program though.

Way too much on small muscle groups (look at your biceps routine) with little to no back. Think of it this way, have you ever seen a tree with bigger branches then its trunk? The trees with the monstrous branches have a really thick and strong trunk to support it. You need to get your back and legs stronger before you can seriously considered growing muscle, not to mention it's a lot more functional for basketball. Add squats and deadlifts first of all, I can't stress how good they are for overall strength. Secondly, I'd add some explosive plyometric type work in to your training regime - think box jumps, skipping, tuck jumps, ladder drills etc. Reason being that as a basketball player, a quick first step and burst of speed can make or break you. If you're putting on this weigh when your body isn't conditioned to perform with it, even if it is muscle, you could lose a step or two in the process if you aren't careful! Best of luck!
Sounds great! Thanks for making such an in-depth post, I appreciate it.

Lunch: Spaghetti and Meatballs(x2), Jelly, Donut, Mini Cheddars, Fruit Pot, Strawberry Juice, Pop Tart, Bunch of Grapes
Dinner: Fillet of cod with soy sauce, tea, Carrots and Pea Shoots, Pasta, Chicken Burger(x2), Dairy Milk chocolate bar, Jelly(x3), Orange, Lychee Smoothie.

that's honestly not that much, and there's also a whole lot of shit in your diet

you have some portions with those foods orrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

looks like you're shooting < 2.5-3k to me

Week 1 complete of SL 5x5. Found the workout to be easy on the weights, yes, but I've been trying to make the best of these times by trying to develop perfect form, with a more explosive exercise movement than I'm used to. Even with the relatively low weights, my back and legs have felt more engaged than I expected after each workout.

I didn't take any before pics, but now I've gotten around to it. At 6'4" and 186 lbs, here I am.

Ninahaza

You'll always be a part of me
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Squeakyguy your post reminded me of all the work that needs to be done on the first page of this thread. I gotta start working on those reserved posts. I haven't forgotten. I can't believe how much procrastination i am doing on not only this, but all my school work as well. Man, I can't wait for the break to get here so I can get some things done. Also its been nearly two months since I started my bulk, and its coming along nicely. I hope others are doing fine on their goals as well. I gotta get that journal done hehe.

Lee

@ Thick Club
SqueakyGuy, I really want to say something helpful because you seem like a nice guy but honestly you seem to be doing everything right already (prioritising form and posture + starting at a low weight and you seem to have done plenty of research) so good luck, I guess? how is your diet? i assume you know that what you do in the kitchen will be just as important as what you do in the gym, even moreso considering you seem a naturally slim chap.

still rattling away with my running - lost a few pounds but really not concerned as i could throw them back on in a week if i had a mind to but i feel that it's important i commit everything to running right now. i've measured out a 5 kilometre route near my house (i don't expect that link to be relevant to anyone but i want a record of it here for when i look back on this thread years from now...on that note, hi future Lee whats up?) and i'm hoping to do a time trial there at some point over the next week. Only 38 days till the race and I'd like to have an idea of what level I'm at. Been a little disappointed lately as i've been running in the 2.0-2.5 mile range and have been feeling pretty strong but then I look at my time at the end and extrapolate from it what my 5k time would be at that pace and end up with junk like 19 minutes (shooting for sub-17 for anyone who hasn't been following my posts here) but ehhhhh i guess it's to be expected after all i've been through; i just thought it would be easier than this y'know! whatever, still enjoying every second of running again so i'll let you guys know how my time trial goes.

hello fitness guys! cross country season just ended, our team just missed out on state but i SOMEHOW ran a 19:58 which got me pretty fuckin stoked!

so, what kind of stuff can i do in the offseason to improve, and how fast can i expect to be when next season rolls around? i'm already aware that increasing mileage will pretty much make you faster at all distances, but are there any "niche exercises" that i can do? i don't live by a track, but i do live on a rural highway (and right next to a mile marker!_), so i can measure miles-distance accurately. i also have a couple monstrous hills near my house.

i was thinking of maybe tempo runs? :30 run at 6:00/mile pace, 1:00 drop back down to 7:30-8:00/mile pace? not sure of the numbers i'd use there (timing and pace). if anyone could give me some exercises to improve, i'd be really grateful!

SqueakyGuy, I really want to say something helpful because you seem like a nice guy but honestly you seem to be doing everything right already (prioritising form and posture + starting at a low weight and you seem to have done plenty of research) so good luck, I guess? how is your diet? i assume you know that what you do in the kitchen will be just as important as what you do in the gym, even moreso considering you seem a naturally slim chap.
Aww this is where it's super tough for me. I always have a big appetite, but rarely find the time to prepare lots of food in order to eat a caloric surplus. I've been trying to do better, but right now, the financial situation means that I'm working all the time, and don't have all that much money to buy tons of food. Of course, this weakness calls for another google search.

I used http://www.acaloriecounter.com/diet/how-many-calories-to-build-muscle-or-gain-weight/ http://www.acaloriecounter.com/diet/how-many-calories-to-build-muscle-or-gain-weight/ links to come up with my goal caloric intake of 3550-3800 calories daily in order to gain muscle. That is a lot. Not too sure how I'm gonna handle this aspect as of yet, except maybe by jumpstarting my GOMAD plans.

Hey guys, I just started the couch to 5k plan and just finished the first week of workouts (yeah I'm that unfit :/) and noticed that by the last workout I wasn't sweating as much as the first one. Does this mean I'm not working hard enough? I ended up doing some sprints to finish because I didn't feel like I was doing it right :/

assuming this is a serious question, if you want to gain weight eat more, if you want to build muscle work out as well. it's actually that simple

you posted that you eat a ton of food but you're still the weediest in your year. fair enough, i'm not going to tell you what your body looks like, but this really is a simple equation. eat more. just do it, it's not hard to fit extra amounts of protein/milk/nuts/peanut butter in your diet (i'm sure other people have better suggestions but those are the weight gain staples iirc). i'm also assuming that you eat a lot of nonessential things for gaining weight.

honestly, my advice to you (i'm really fucking skinny too but my friend is like 180lb and 5'5'' and he tells me this shit) is just to eat more than you think you can handle or are hungry for, in my experience meticulously planning out a perfect diet, while optimal, will just hold you back b/c you're so worried about getting things exactly right. work out, yes, but mainly

eat more
eat more
eat more

Lee

@ Thick Club
would start by getting off a forum and speaking to a medical professional instead - a BMI of under 17.5 is a diagnostic requirement of anorexia and a BMI of below 15 is grounds for immediate hospitalisation (although of course that varies from person to person and case to case).

to be at such a low BMI it's possible that your problem is a medical or pathological one and I don't think any of us here are qualified to deal with that

or maybe you're just trolling idk

Is a BMI of 14 that serious?? Wow, I don't know what to say. I might need to take that weight gain then.

EDIT: Good god. I've just checked, and my BMI is 12.9.

AAAAAAAAA

EDIT: Nevermind, I checked wrongly, it's 14.2. But still

AAAAAAAAA

Is a BMI of 14 that serious?? Wow, I don't know what to say. I might need to take that weight gain then.

EDIT: Good god. I've just checked, and my BMI is 12.9.

AAAAAAAAA

EDIT: Nevermind, I checked wrongly, it's 14.2. But still

AAAAAAAAA
You should probably go visit a doctor or other professional about that, but a low BMI doesn't have to be dangerous per se. Someone in my class is approaching 6''5' and only weighs 121 lbs, putting him at a 14.something BMI as well. He still manages to be one of the sportiest people in my class, and generally eats a lot and comes across as healthy.

Lee

@ Thick Club
yeah, most of the health problems typically associated with a low BMI, such as anaemia, actually stem from malnutrition, not low body weight, and it's not always correct to assume the two go hand-in-hand. that said, some of the complications - off my head, osteoporosis (your bones are under such low pressure that they actually begin to weaken), fertility issues in women (grossly low body fat inhibits oestrogen production) and cardiac abnormalities (the most easily identifiable of which is overly fast/slow heart rate so you could maybe check that now) are directly related to low body weight so even your sporty, apparently healthy friend will need to be mindful of them

yeah, most of the health problems typically associated with a low BMI, such as anaemia, actually stem from malnutrition, not low body weight, and it's not always correct to assume the two go hand-in-hand. that said, some of the complications - off my head, osteoporosis (your bones are under such low pressure that they actually begin to weaken), fertility issues in women (grossly low body fat inhibits oestrogen production) and cardiac abnormalities (the most easily identifiable of which is overly fast/slow heart rate so you could maybe check that now) are directly related to low body weight so even your sporty, apparently healthy friend will need to be mindful of them
Lee, you're scaring me. I'm pretty sure I'm not a woman, and my heart beats normally, but my bones are preeety weak. I might need a checkup sometime soon from my GP.

Two things, for me.
1.I'm around a lot of grocery stores, and stores like Wawa. With all of the promotions and product pushing, I've only been introduced to processed nuts. What would be a brand or brands of unsalted nuts that, well, aren't processed?

2. What would be a few good cardio exercises that are aimed towards burning fat, not specifically building muscle? (If there are some that aim for both that would be fine, but my goal is the former.) Please and thank you.

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
W/ regards to weight, your eating habits will determine how fit you are significantly more so than exercise. That being said, if you're looking for physical training for overall health it'd be best to focus on your core (pushups), back (planks), and lower body (squats), as these are the parts of your body that see most use in day-to-day life (as well as the parts that tend to break in old age).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)