Golem's Resurrection (QC 0/3)

MESSAGE TO ANALYSIS TEAM: PLEASE CONSIDER THIS BUILD, DO NOT OVERLOOK IT. I PROMISE YOU THIS IS NOT A CRAZY IDEA.

[Overview]

After testing Golem in over 50 OU battles in Pokemon Showdown, I have found him very successful on sandstorm teams. Despite his vast amount of weaknesses, with the set below he can prove himself as a counter and menace to many OU pokemon, and can survive against Starmie's surf.

[SET]
name: Menace
move 1: Sucker Punch
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Stone Edge
move 4: Thunderpunch
item: Leftovers
ability: Sturdy
nature: Careful
evs: 200 HP/56 Defense/252 Special Defense
ivs: 31/31/31/31/31/31

[SET COMMENTS]

-Sucker punch is so important for Golem, because he uses this move to destroy MANY OU pokemon such as Starmie, Gengar, and Celebi.
-I chose this EV distribution because accompanied by sandstorm's 33% Sp.D increase, Golem can survive against water and grass attacks.

Golem Counters (golem destorys the following pokemon)
-Starmie, Tentacruel, Celebi, Gyrados, Gengar, Jirachi, Metagross, Toxicroak, Thundurus-T, Jellicant, Blissey, Skarmory, Salamence, Dragonite, Venasaur. Possibly others.

Golem's weaknesses
-Terrakion
-Water/grass type attacks (only accompanied by sweepers, or hydro pump/power whip)

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
I was thinking about making a constructive post and realized its a remake of the previous thread.

Bad idea to make another thread after first got locked?

Ill be first to actually make a constructive post and say they have not "overlooked" it. They just think its a subpar set. It might "work", depending on your definition of "working."

But doesn't work well.

And it survives water and grass attacks with Sturdy, and other than that you kinda fail miserably because you hit really weak. You have no attack investment to hurt anything, and Golem's base offense is pretty bad.
It survives without sturdy as well. Having no attack investment isn't good, I agree, but it is enough to take down the list I supplied. the reason for that is because earthquake and stone edge have high power. sucker punch isn't stab, but it's 1st priority and will kill pokemon with weak defenses like starmie and gengar (and 2HKO celebi).

This build has survived Starmie's scald with around 50% health remaining. Accompanied by leftovers, it can take another scald.

Woodchuck

actual cannibal
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
0 SpA Starmie Scald vs. 200 HP / 252+ SpD Golem in sand: 220-264 (62.67 - 75.21%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

50% health remaining my ass.

252 Atk Golem Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Starmie: 180-212 (68.96 - 81.22%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after weather

You don't ohko.

252 Atk Golem Sucker Punch vs. 232 HP / 0 Def Celebi: 156-184 (39.09 - 46.11%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after weather

You don't even 2hko Celebi.

Also, why do you say Golem can take down starmie, celebi, and gengar when
Golem Counters
-Starmie, Celebi, Gengar

This build has survived Starmie's scald with around 50% health remaining. Accompanied by leftovers, it can take another scald.
How about Tyranitar? It can take a couple of scalds and kill starmie just fine. Also, there's a lot of counters for one Pokemon, and you don't list all of them. Too much support is needed for him to function, and it probably doesn't even do that good. Man, you're persistent about Golem.

EDIT: @Woodchuck He's running an even weaker spread than that.

Great Sage

Banned deucer.
Your "testing" with Golem has gotten you a GXE of 36, a Glicko2 rating of 1347, and a win-loss record of 36-36. You either do not know what success is (which is rather likely) or you are being intellectually dishonest.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)