Ask an Uber Question, Get an Uber Answer (Read FAQs in First Post Before Asking)

I didn't know which thread was the best one to ask in, but i'll keep that in mind next time, I figure this wasn't too off topic since a double meta would have it's own uber as much as it's own OU. but enough about that; Thank you for the answer. I'll check out this, and see if I can get something cooking on the other meta's channel because personally, I find doubles a more balanced game then singles, and since third gen, I haven't really looked back.

Question on Bold vs. Impish on Lugia. For the record, I am asking this question because I am about to RNG Dream Radar Lugia (Multiscale) and am thinking about natures.

I've seen two defensive builds for Lugia:

Lugia @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SpD
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Roost
- Reflect / Substitute
- Dragon Tail / Ice Beam
- Toxic / Whirlwind / Earthquake

NOTE: Run Bold for Ice Beam.

Lugia @ Leftovers
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 252 HP / 52 Def / 204 Spd
- Roost
- Thunder Wave
- Toxic
- Whirlwind

Here is my question...

Why Impish for the second build? Bold would reduce confusion damage. Is it to leave open the option to use Dragon Tail instead of Whirlwind? If so I wonder why there isn't a "/ Dragon Tail" after it.

I'll state again that I'm asking because I need to pick a nature for Multiscale Lugia. Two natures, actually, because I have access to two of them. If you could gear your answer towards help in making that decision, that would be great.

Thanks!

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Question on Bold vs. Impish on Lugia. For the record, I am asking this question because I am about to RNG Dream Radar Lugia (Multiscale) and am thinking about natures.

I've seen two defensive builds for Lugia:

Lugia @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SpD
- Roost
- Reflect / Substitute
- Dragon Tail / Ice Beam
- Toxic / Whirlwind / Earthquake

NOTE: Run Bold for Ice Beam.

Lugia @ Leftovers
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 252 HP / 52 Def / 204 Spd
- Roost
- Thunder Wave
- Toxic
- Whirlwind

Here is my question...

Why Impish for the second build? Bold would reduce confusion damage. Is it to leave open the option to use Dragon Tail instead of Whirlwind? If so I wonder why there isn't a "/ Dragon Tail" after it.

I'll state again that I'm asking because I need to pick a nature for Multiscale Lugia. Two natures, actually, because I have access to two of them. If you could gear your answer towards help in making that decision, that would be great.

Thanks!
I would just make it so that lugia's SpD is higher than it's def just so gene gets an attack download boost as opposed to SpA download boost.

His Eminence Lord Poppington II

proverb:the fish who eats most dies still too
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
No, that is of little issue since Genesect is incapable of OHKOing Lugia with anything, even after Stealth Rock.

Lugia's typing lends it more towards being a physical wall than a special one, as it has weaknesses to the common special attacks types such as Ghost, Ice, and Electric.

At any rate, to answer your question, DarkestSamus, if you are wanting to go for a Multiscale Lugia then I recommend the second set, additionally Bold is fine.

For Lugia best to abuse Multiscale it needs one of two things, either Thunder Wave or a fast spread. If you choose to forgo Thunder Wave then Reflect is pretty good.

Hope that answers your question.

No, that is of little issue since Genesect is incapable of OHKOing Lugia with anything, even after Stealth Rock.

Lugia's typing lends it more towards being a physical wall than a special one, as it has weaknesses to the common special attacks types such as Ghost, Ice, and Electric.

At any rate, to answer your question, DarkestSamus, if you are wanting to go for a Multiscale Lugia then I recommend the second set, additionally Bold is fine.

For Lugia best to abuse Multiscale it needs one of two things, either Thunder Wave or a fast spread. If you choose to forgo Thunder Wave then Reflect is pretty good.

Hope that answers your question.
It does, thank you. I mostly asked just in case there was a grander reason why the second build was specifically "Impish" and not "Impish / Bold" - you learn by asking, after all! Thanks!

It's likely just for the option of using Dragon Tail instead of Whirlwind. Lugia isn't doing much Confusion damage to itself either way, and Lugia would be using Dragon Tail far more often than hurting itself in confusion. And I suppose that incremental increase in Dragon Tail does make a difference when it comes to something like breaking a Palkia or Garchomp Substitute.

So yeah, you're most likely correct about why the second build lists Impish, DarkestSamus. You can probably get away with Impish even without any physical attacks just because the difference in Confusion damage would be < 1 percent.

Yeah Im just starting out in ubers, Ill be posting a ton of probably stupid questions.

What pokemon outside of Reskiram, Arcues-Ghost, and Heatran can switch into Genesect pretty much mindlessly.

I will add a bit to Poppy's list. Lugia, Ferrothorn in rain. Physically Defensive Kyogre.(note Genesect never uses Thunder in Ubers because it would be suicidal to try to use that to beat Ho-Oh, Lugia or Kyogre). Genesect is not as good in Ubers. The best way to make your team less G-weak is to just use pokemon that are not Bug-weak. That is, dont use Mewtwo, Lati@s and the overrated Darkrai.

Duck Chris

replay watcher
is a Pre-Contributor
Hey I had a quick question about the suspect testing. Do we have to maintain the requirements until the end of the test or do we just have to achieve them at some point during the period and screenshot it?

I don't have time to chill in the #ubers irc until much later this week, so Ill just dump my current team problems here in hope that I can passively get this solved.

Im currently running a stall team like this:

Chansey / Forretress / SpD Giratina / scarf-Zekrom / spD-Arcues-Dark / Groundon

Im pretty solid on the first 4, after playing with them I love the way they play. I have a few concerns that are on my mind:

-I would rather run a more physically defensive Giratina to take on Ho-oh better
-If I did that I would need a better specondary Kyrorge check, I rather like Zekrom so Id rather not run Palkia for that, Ive been thinking of using Latias for Kyorge and Mewtwo
-Im unsure about groundon, I could run something else, but I need something for Zekrom and to set up rocks (id rather have aromatherapy on Chansey to wake on Giratina)
-Finally id prefer if I can keep arcues on the team to check any random calm mind pokemon and kill them off in the end game with perish song, but I am unsure about the forme, currently its dark to check Mewtwo

This is a lot to throw at anyone, but if anyone has any advice, it would be appreciated.

So does anyone have a good set for a Quirky Regenerator Ho-Oh (Pokemon Dream Radar, why you not let us soft-reset)? This will most likely be the only Regenerator Ho-Oh I will ever have, so I'd like for it to count.
And please, don't answer saying "Just RNG stuff" because I don't have the time or resources to learn how to RNG.

So does anyone have a good set for a Quirky Regenerator Ho-Oh (Pokemon Dream Radar, why you not let us soft-reset)? This will most likely be the only Regenerator Ho-Oh I will ever have, so I'd like for it to count.
And please, don't answer saying "Just RNG stuff" because I don't have the time or resources to learn how to RNG.
Since Ho-Oh needs Jolly for a Choice Scarf set, I would recommend using a Choice Band set. It won't pack the power of an Adamant Choice Band set but Quirky with a Life Orb just won't be dealing the damage you want. Also a Choice item and Regenerator go very well together. Alternatively you can do a Tank set where bulk plays the primary role

CB:
Choice Band
252 Atk 252 Spe 4 Def
Flame Charge
Sacred Fire
Earthquake
Brave Bird

Tank:
Leftovers
248 HP 176 Atk 84 SpD
Sacred Fire
Brave Bird
Recover
Substitute/Whirlwind

On Dragon Dance Salamence, is Intimidate+LO really worth it, or should I go with Moxie+Lum Berry? As shown on the Smogon Page for Mence, +1 LO Outrage still hits pretty hard, and Intimdate makes it slightly less dependent on Wobbuffet support to set up. However, a DD+Moxie boost makes it more powerful than LO after only the first kill, and Lum Berry allows Mence to get longer sweeps, that is, 4-5 Pokes instead of 2-3. Also, lack of LO recoil means Mence can try to stay out of the KO range of common priority moves (EKiller's ESpeed, Scizor's BPunch, Gira-O's SSneak).
So yeah, is Intimidate still good?

In response to Salamence97, I would have normally said go with Intimidate because it's compatible with Outrage, but with B2W2 giving shard tutors again, Moxie+Outrage becomes possible and very viable. Intimidate means Mence can set up DDs on physical sweepers without as much fear of being KOed, but of course LO recoil is still there and Mence has no priority. So, in the end, it comes down to what you prefer or need on a team.

Personally, I like Moxie+Lum because the idea of going down the warpath and rampaging through teams conjures fantastic images in my mind. Moxie+Lum is also more a late-game sweeper because Outrage is walled by Steels. Once the Steels are removed, Mence can easily abuse Outrage, Moxie, and that berry and sweep. LO+Intimidate, meanwhile, offers more versatility because if Salamence has a Fire move or some other move that can handle the Steels, then he can take them out himself. But there's the problem of finding a time where he can safely DD and also the issue of priority and the LO recoil.

For the tl;dr both sets have their perks. Moxie+Lum will require some more support to remove Steels since you get locked into Outrage, while LO+Intimidate will require some better prediction to avoid those tricky priority moves. Moxie+LO I wouldn't recommend of course, so in the end it's really what you need or want. A late game sweeper who can rampage with Outrage but is walled by Steels? Or an LO Intimidator who can take on a variety of foes including Steels if packing a good move but is weak to priority?

I hope I helped, sorry if I didn't :\

And my own Uber question: Playing more Pokemon Dream Radar, and I got a Lax Palkia and a Docile Giratina. Palkia and Giratina's Dream World abilities are Telepathy so meh good for fun double battles I guess, but what kinds of movesets and EVs could I use on them? Lax I realize is pretty much no good and Docile could be better but it's all I have as of now because my game collection was stolen this past spring and Pokemon Dream Radar is giving me a chance to get my legendaries back...except for the nature oh well. Thanks!

syrim

1x1x1x1x1x1x1x1x1x1
I will add a bit to Poppy's list. Lugia, Ferrothorn in rain. Physically Defensive Kyogre.(note Genesect never uses Thunder in Ubers because it would be suicidal to try to use that to beat Ho-Oh, Lugia or Kyogre). Genesect is not as good in Ubers. The best way to make your team less G-weak is to just use pokemon that are not Bug-weak. That is, dont use Mewtwo, Lati@s and the overrated Darkrai.
Ferrothorn actually takes +1 252 Atk Genesect U-turn vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Ferrothorn: 129-153 (36.64 - 43.46%) -- 98.93% chance to 3HKO, so it can't really switch into the most common, and best, genesect set mindlessly. It also seems somewhat of a contradiction to say genesect is not very good in ubers, when in your post you mention of it beats four huge threats, all without any way to lose momentum. On a SpA inveseted set, Thunder can actually be pretty useful if you have bulky kyogre support, or a way to insure rain, as it removes some of your best counters, like ho-oh and heatran.

But to answer the original question, the best way to beat genesect is to get hazards up early, and as many as you can. This really limits genesect's already limited ability to actually switch in to attacks, and even weaker walls. Its worth noting that the walls that genesect can switch into without consequence (usually) like Lugia, can outheal its attacks. Limiting its switch ins lets you create situations where the opponent switching it mindlessly into things like latias nets a ko. Even if they are aware of this, you force them to sac something to force you out and regain momentum.

On Dragon Dance Salamence, is Intimidate+LO really worth it, or should I go with Moxie+Lum Berry? As shown on the Smogon Page for Mence, +1 LO Outrage still hits pretty hard, and Intimdate makes it slightly less dependent on Wobbuffet support to set up. However, a DD+Moxie boost makes it more powerful than LO after only the first kill, and Lum Berry allows Mence to get longer sweeps, that is, 4-5 Pokes instead of 2-3. Also, lack of LO recoil means Mence can try to stay out of the KO range of common priority moves (EKiller's ESpeed, Scizor's BPunch, Gira-O's SSneak).
So yeah, is Intimidate still good?
The problem with intimidate is that there are really no physical pokemon that salamence can set up on, even when they are at -1.Groudon can still beat you with stone edge, or dragon tail/roar with sr up, arceus forms still win if they even care about intimidate in the first place, terrakion still beats you with stone edge, though softening a scarfed close combat is mildly useful. It has some great utility, against things like zekrom and rayquaza/exkiller, but these things still force you to predict, as they can beat you regardless of the drop if you choose to set up.

My questions haven't been answered yet...so I guess I'll ask them again?

Playing more Pokemon Dream Radar, and I got a Lax Palkia and a Docile Giratina. Palkia and Giratina's Dream World abilities are Telepathy so meh good for fun double battles I guess, but what kinds of movesets and EVs could I use on them since I do want to EV train them? Lax I realize is pretty much no good and Docile could be better but it's all I have as of now.

How often are you guys on the #ubers irc ? Is there certain times that the activity is greater than others. I'd like to have the opportunity to talk to you guys on there sometimes but I don't know when y'all are on. Thanks !

Furai

we will become who we are meant to be
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
How often are you guys on the #ubers irc ? Is there certain times that the activity is greater than others. I'd like to have the opportunity to talk to you guys on there sometimes but I don't know when y'all are on. Thanks !
No specific activity times, just hop on and join the conversation. You should know that Ubers discussions should take place in #pokemon as well.

Is nobody on right now, or am I doing something wrong. I'm going to Mibbit and going to #ubers; that's all you have to do, correct ?

Hi. I have a mewtwo I got in white. Mewtwo, Timid, 28/3/31/29/19/16. the speed is middling. it is from the event in february. i want it for an ubers team, is it too poor for a acceptable battle standards with that speed? I do not and am against RNG although I dont know if it would work for event from pokemon centre pokemon anyway.
As such, I am content with as good as I can get from breeding & resetting for this sort...

Hi. I have a mewtwo I got in white. Mewtwo, Timid, 28/3/31/29/19/16. the speed is middling. it is from the event in february. i want it for an ubers team, is it too poor for a acceptable battle standards with that speed? I do not and am against RNG although I dont know if it would work for event from pokemon centre pokemon anyway.
As such, I am content with as good as I can get from breeding & resetting for this sort...
Honestly, that's pretty bad. If you at least properly EV train it, it can compete against other Pokémon that are semi-competitive such as your Mewtwo but you will tend to lose out against entirely competitive (read: Straight 31) Pokés. It is usable because of the fairly good IVs and nature but not necessarily good

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)